• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

1stStrike

Banned
This is going to be my character.

Lucy+lawless+-+xena+warrior+princess_1241564937.jpeg

She's mine, all mine!

mollipen

I can understand the issue you have with your Pawns - the game definitely encourages a dismissive attitude towards them, making them more akin to weapons than characters. Perhaps that's their role in-world, but it is an odd concept. That said, after hundreds of hours of adventuring through Fallout and Skyrim, it's nice to have any companionship at all - even if you will have to ditch them down the line. At the end of the day, your main pawn will always be a constant, so there's an attatchment to be made there. That's more than you can say for your average AI companion in an open-world RPG, given that you can build them in whatever archetype pleases you. I believe DD would be better if you could build your entire cast of pawns from the ground up, really. But as things are, I think the Pawn system does a good job of balancing keeping things fresh and "dynamic" versus having a cohesive team that grows alongside you.

That's part of what made me hate the pawn system even more—because I did really enjoy that sense of team, and of going out adventuring together versus being on my own. It's really awesome to have that "these people have my back" feeling—I just want to get that feeling from an entire team of people I care about, not just one person! *heh*

lunchtoast

I only have one thing to worry about before finalizing my character, tall or short!?

Short. I have a little archer girl. You will hear stories across the land how a little girl chopped the Dragon's head and reclaimed her heart. Her large ugly female pawn was also there to pick up the spoils.

That's part of what made me hate the pawn system even more—because I did really enjoy that sense of team, and of going out adventuring together versus being on my own. It's really awesome to have that "these people have my back" feeling—I just want to get that feeling from an entire team of people I care about, not just one person! *heh*

Agreed. It's a shame there wasn't A) a way to customize your entire party, and B) a way to customize a pawn's personality like you'd customize their voice and posture.

RS4-

Picked it up earlier today and uhh, I guess it isn't bad. I'm so used to trying to block manually and instead I'm hitting random buttons.

Granted I'm not that far, maybe an hour or so.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE THE GAME

how is the enemy variety? would you say its demons souls regularly seeing new enemies 12 hours in type of vast or a skyrim sorta deal?

Teknoman

Reviews were not what I was expecting from a mega Capcom title, then again. It's all about Capcpom now...

Imo this is more of a...God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, PN03, Killer7,Lost Planet 1, Monster Hunter, kind of thing.

A game that is really good at expressing what the developers wanted, yet probably wont get the greatest of reviews from everyone.

Wallachia

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE THE GAME

how is the enemy variety? would you say its demons souls regularly seeing new enemies 12 hours in type of vast or a skyrim sorta deal?

I think its fairly good. Not overwhelmingly new every 5 minutes, but alot of surprises. especially the varieties of say, types of Skeletons. And the way this game handles the phantasm/ghost type enemy, is pretty damn sweet.

Teknoman

I think its fairly good. Not overwhelmingly new every 5 minutes, but alot of surprises. especially the varieties of say, types of Skeletons. And the way this game handles the phantasm/ghost type enemy, is pretty damn sweet.

Have you seen any original enemies yet, or original takes on well known enemy types?

Riposte

Shidoshi

The Western RPG-style visual design. You’re a Japanese company, Capcom. Don’t be ashamed of it!

This is utterly dumb.

"WRPGs" don't hold a trademark on realistic fantasy portrayals. One look at this game and I was able to see significant differences from the usual western efforts, simply because the Capcom team is so talented with visuals and ironing out the details in character/monster design. Not to mention the most popular western takes on fantasy usually looks like a poorly constructed saturday morning cartoon/coloring book from the 80s. (Compare WoW, the most popular fantasy game in the world, to FFXI or FFXIV for example.)

Japanese doesn't mean "looks like Jet Set Radio or SNES JRPGs" and evidently Western doesn't mean "looks like a fantasy novel cover".

Santiako

Shidoshi

This is utterly dumb.

"WRPGs" don't hold a trademark on realistic fantasy portrayals. One look at this game and I was able to see significant differences from the usual western efforts, simply because the Capcom team is so talented with visuals and ironing out the details in character/monster design. Not to mention the most popular western takes on fantasy usually looks like a poorly constructed saturday morning cartoon/coloring book from the 80s. (Compare WoW, the most popular fantasy game in the world, to FFXI or FFXIV for example.)

Japanese doesn't mean "looks like Jet Set Radio or SNES JRPGs" and evidently Western doesn't mean "looks like a fantasy novel cover".

No, c'mon, the game is Japanese, it should have anime hair and giant eyes.

Ah, so you can avoid it by installing it? Does it still have a higher FPS than the PS3 version?

360 has higher FPS with tearing and some pop-in, PS3 has lower FPS with no tearing.

As to how much tearing remains once you've installed on 360, I do not know. I assume it still happens occasionally, but don't take my word for it. I heard installing fixes most of the problems, though.

Hoarr

Neo Member
I picked it up today, and I'm hoping to spend more time on perfecting the character I made during the demo -- the Cerebral Assassin himself, Triple H:

tumblr_m3d5r4zkC51qzx70zo1_500.jpg

It started out as a joke, but there might be something amazing to recreating a perfect Trips in my real game. It's a shame that I cannot have him Pedigree a Griffin, though.

Funniest thing I've read all day and I'm getting the 360 version. No, installing will not stop the tearing.

hint hint
The demo is installed, gasp, still tears.

I'm on PS3 so I'm no expert. But the install helps, right? Or is that only with pop-in?

my pwn is a 5'7 female, should I make her S weight or M weight?
Depends on her vocation. If she's going to be a rogue-ish type, go with small. If a warrior, make her bigger. If mage, medium sounds fine. I think just about anything other than a tiny warrior would be viable, but that could be fun in and of itself.

sublimit

Banned
Yeah, character models look pretty nice to me, especially for an open world game. It's a good step above skyrim in terms of modeling and especially animations. You can see polygonal edges in skyrim, not so much here.

dd4tku1.jpg

Very nice!

In every single game where you can pick a ranged class, in the end that is the one I always stay with. My only troublesome decision making is whether I should go with Ranger or do the Magic Archer path. I am leaning towards the Archer because something just screams uber awesome when firing magic arrows.

Created a female class for now. 1.74 in height and 64.0 in weight. I suppose this is in the Small region and not the Medium?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I picked it up today, and I'm hoping to spend more time on perfecting the character I made during the demo -- the Cerebral Assassin himself, Triple H:

tumblr_m3d5r4zkC51qzx70zo1_500.jpg

It started out as a joke, but there might be something amazing to recreating a perfect Trips in my real game. It's a shame that I cannot have him Pedigree a Griffin, though.

Now I have to ask, does this game have custom soundtrack support on the PS3?

Because I'm suddenly interested in doing what you just did.

RPGCrazied

Walmart shipped mine! Hope to get it at the end of the week. Nice timing as I just beat Diablo 3, will taper off a bit to play this.

Got the release date mixed up so I went to Gamestop today by mistake. I wasn't going to bother reserving a copy but then the guy behind the counter said that they only have three copies of each version and only one of each was left so I put my money down. Dat shit cray!

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
As to how much tearing remains once you've installed on 360, I do not know. I assume it still happens occasionally, but don't take my word for it. I heard installing fixes most of the problems, though.

Installing only helps loading data from the disc to memory, so it can lower load times and reduce pop-in (which is related to slow streaming). It cannot reduce tearing.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Got the release date mixed up so I went to Gamestop today by mistake. I wasn't going to bother reserving a copy but then the guy behind the counter said that they only have three copies of each version and only one of each was left so I put my money down. Dat shit cray!

GameStop lives and dies by preorders. Pretty sure you got played. :lol

Top Bottom