• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Amir0x

Banned
Last thing I'd want is more towns. That shit has killed old school rpgs for me... just can't handle the tedium of towns and townsfolk. I used to eat it up as a kind, but who has the time for it these days?

If you're going to spend money... spend it on new combat experiences. More armor. More environments. More enemies. Spears. More area on the map that actually matters.

Gran Soren takes up a lot of real estate, and it's the least interesting place in the entire game. The fields that surround it are more interesting. The capitol is cool to see from a distance, and it feels really awesome to walk up to the torchlit gates after a night of killing undead... but that's about where the interesting part ends. Imo.

You don't need towns to make the world bigger. That said, I love towns in games, but my issue with Gran Soren is just that most of the town is empty. I loved exploring Gran Soren and finding all sorts of hidden, nestled treasure chests accessible only from the rooftops and the other secrets. I like going into town with a hulk of loot, just dumping it wholesale in my deposit box or at the store and upgrading. But like 95% of Gran Soren is locked buildings and shit.

But obviously if we're talking about balance and leveling up slowly, I'm not talking about more towns. I'm talking about more areas to explore with monsters! World needs to be double the size in order for slowing down the leveling to not be unbearable shite.

vg260

In the entire game there were only two groups of enemies that I remember having to give up on and both were plainly visible and easily avoided.

If the game isn't your cup of tea I can totally get that -- I'm glad you gave it a shot -- but complaining about it being too difficult of all things is just confusing.

Yeah, I'm terrible at RPGs. (Last semi-RPG I played was Sword of Vermillion on Genesis), and I haven't really had an issue w/ difficulty yet. (Level 30ish now)

Sucks if this is not selling well. It's a very solid shot at a new IP and deserves a sequel.

I loved exploring Gran Soren and finding all sorts of hidden, nestled treasure chests accessible only from the rooftops and the other secrets. I like going into town with a hulk of loot, just dumping it wholesale in my deposit box or at the store and upgrading. But like 95% of Gran Soren is locked buildings and shit.

"For fear of the dragon perhaps ?"
^^ i love how the devs couldn't let you explore every part of Grand soren unlike cassardis and even included pawn dialogs to justify it.

Nohar

Sooo, I'm in the abandonned quarry... And I'm pretty sure that a goblin yelled at me "WHO LET THE DOG OUT ?!"...

I think I'm going to get my ears checked.

Torraz

Hooray, got the necessary 5k rift points to potentially change my mid size male pawn.

What's the best weight/build/size for a fighter + warrior augments? Max weight/size?

While we're on the topic on improving things for the (outsocurced) sequel...

Add more towns and human settlements. I found it both funny and ridiculous that in a land this "big" there are only two human settlements: the fishing village where you start out and Gran Soren, the capital.

I'd also like them to write some actual characters into the story and not just moving quest markers.

Agreed about the towns and settlements - next game needs more of that.

If they outsource DD to a Western dev, who would you want Capcom to give it to?

Elginer

Reviewers are always terrible, I honestly don't know how people trust them at this point knowing what we in the hardcore gaming community knows about what goes on behind closed doors at these websites and publications. it's truly shameless stuff; there is no objectivity.

That's not to say you couldn't legitimately criticize Dragon's Dogma and find it lacking, I certainly know of several areas that could stand to be fixed (even if it didn't mean as much to me as it maybe does to someone else), but I certainly would not give a fuck at what metacritic says. Decide for yourselves, not with paid corporate shills.

I agree 100 percent.

Is there any way to check on the status of the Ur-Dragon without going to fight him? I'm having a hard time even finding him, but I'd like to know how much health he has before I get there.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think lock on would be fine, but they wouldn't need to emphasize it much. I atleast felt this when fighting harpies a lot, it was really easy to just keep missing them when they got close by, and you fight so many of them that they would typically be the one enemy I started to always run past.

UrbanRats

you can ? One of the option in your save menu is to restart from your last checkpoint ?
isn't that enough ?

No, cause the checkpoints are bullshit.
If i want to reload a save i have to exit to the main menu and load from there, which is useless time consuming (especially with all the "checking PSN connection" "checking DLC" "checking saved data" every single time).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh yeah, add the save system to another thing to fix on a new game. Multiple save files for fuck sake.

ironcreed

Banned
Just saw the numbers. Here is to hoping that it will be a slow burner that sells more over time, but it's doubtful with everything that is coming out this year. Regardless, I still think there is a chance for a sequel. I just hope that Capcom does not farm it out to some shit house developer to do it. So much damn potential for greatness with this game.

Dave1988

Agreed about the towns and settlements - next game needs more of that.

If they outsource DD to a Western dev, who would you want Capcom to give it to?

CDProjekt RED perhaps? Though I'm sure the choice Crapcom would make in this scenario would be baffling to anyone except them.

maomaoIYP

does the weight stuff etc matter? I thought it was JUST for show/aesthetics. It matters?

There's 3 weight classes. Light, medium and heavy. Light uses less stamina, but can carry less weight. The reverse is true for heavy. Other than that it doesn't affect much.

CDProjekt RED perhaps? Though I'm sure the choice Crapcom would make in this scenario would be baffling to anyone except them.
Oh GAWD NO. Don't replace an incredible combat system with one that barely works.

When a game that has sales projection of 2million sold 100k, yeah, it's called bombed.

of course unless your English begs to differ.

It does, people are still judging the 8 day sales of this game against Diablo 3, and of course forgetting that NA isn't the world, My English thinks it will make its million.

Dave1988

Oh GAWD NO. Don't replace an incredible combat system with one that barely works.

I'm sure that Crapcom would be there to advise CDProjekt on matters on combat. Just like they're doing now with "DmC". Dat feel of Dragon's Dogma. XD

Who else is there to choose from, anyway? Bethesda? Obsidian? Some unknown Z grade studio that never produced anything of worth but is cheap to hire?

Dave1988

Don't speak such evil.

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Crapcom has three choices now:

1. Do a sequel of Dragon's Dogma in-house in hopes that it'll sell better.

2. Outsource the sequel to a Western studio.

3. Drop the franchise entirely.

I don't think no 3 will happen since they allegedly poured so much reasources into DD and no 1 seems unlikely considering that DD didn't sell ganbusters AND their new policy of concentrating on establishing new IPs and shipping existing IPs to Western devs.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I don't know why CDProjekt would even bother with it, they have their own stuff to worry about. Finding useless, out of work studios like Ninja Theory and Slant Six is what Capcom does best, probably to save cost.

ironcreed

Banned
I find it amazing how so many great games are overlooked and slide on under the radar these days. Just shows how saturated and dominated the market is with sequels. It's so difficult for impressive new IPs to make a big impact anymore and that is exactly the opposite of what needs to be happening. Good luck to games like Dishonored this Fall.

I'm sure that Crapcom would be there to advise CDProjekt on matters on combat. Just like they're doing now with "DmC". Dat feel of Dragon's Dogma. XD

Who else is there to choose from, anyway? Bethesda? Obsidian? Some unknown Z grade studio that never produced anything of worth but is cheap to hire?

Epic. They now own Big Huge Games, a company that also just released an open-world RPG that lacks soul but has a killer combat system. A mashup of what DD and Amalur each did right would make for the start of a good game.

Endo Punk

I don't know why CDProjekt would even bother with it, they have their own stuff to worry about. Finding useless, out of work studios like Ninja Theory and Slant Six is what Capcom does best, probably to save cost.
True. And CD Projekt Red is working on my dream cyberpunk RPG

Anteater

I find it amazing how so many great games are overlooked and slide on under the radar these days. Just shows how saturated and dominated the market is with sequels. It's so difficult for impressive new IPs to make a big impact anymore and that is exactly the opposite of what needs to be happening. Good luck to games like Dishonored this Fall.

Dishonored will do fine, it has pretty great marketing from Bethesda, its cgi debut trailer alone already got millions of views.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Obsidian developing it would massively improve the story and writing, but it would also bring up a lot of other problems unless Capcom is actively involved as well.

Capcom revives GRIN studios and tasks them with Dragon's Dogma 2.

Former GRIN devs already created a new studio called Outbreak, but it's too tiny to develop a game like Dragon's Dogma, unfortunately.

Anteater

Oh yeah, there's a chest at the gate between encampment and gran soren, I think it's the gate that you have to press a switch to open when you do the first quest, how do you get to it?

maomaoIYP

Oh yeah, there's a chest at the gate between encampment and gran soren, I think it's the gate that you have to press a switch to open when you do the first quest, how do you get to it?

Jump down from the top. Or if you can cast Frigor I think that would work too.

Arcteryx

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Crapcom has three choices now:

1. Do a sequel of Dragon's Dogma in-house in hopes that it'll sell better.

2. Outsource the sequel to a Western studio.

3. Drop the franchise entirely.

I don't think no 3 will happen since they allegedly poured so much reasources into DD and no 1 seems unlikely considering that DD didn't sell ganbusters AND their new policy of concentrating on establishing new IPs and shipping existing IPs to Western devs.

I'd be ok with #2. I honestly think they've got the framework for an EXCELLENT game, but they just need some proper insight from someone in the knowhow, aka an ex-Morrowind dev etc.

I think Dragon's Dogma should be left the way it is.

I appreciate the game for everything it's offered.
It's open world, its rpg, vocation system is great, music is great, graphics isnt FF lvl but I'm satisfied. I'm happy. I don't think this game needs a sequel at all

i really wish we could just make them into the specialized hybrid classes, like Assassin, Magic Archer, etc. That was a bizarre and nonsensical oversight, imo

Well, 4 assassins at night time would be an overkill for everything, or 4 Mystic Knights using Great Cannon, geez, I don't think that game could handle that, it can't handle one cannon not to mention 4 lol

Top Bottom