• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Errr, once you reach Gran Soren you can buy ferrystones which will automatically whisk you back there from anywhere. The option is there, so if you didn't use it... you cant really complain about it.

The obvious reason why port crystals aren't commonly available until NG+ is because it they basically invalidate the whole open world premise. Once you have a bunch of them set... you can bounce point-to-point as much as you like. Making the money for them is not an issue.

Adventure games shouldn't absolve the player of making smart choices in terms of how/what/when travel choices. Picking your next point-of-call from a menu list is hardly conducive to building an impression of a sprawling and hostile wilderness!

That sounds all nice and wonderful, but at the end of the day, I don't want to pass through the canyon from Cassardis to Gran Soren for the 63rd time, hearing "Harpies!" and "They're weak against fire!" in the exact same place as it will all happen another 63 times. As wonderful and "authentic" it makes the whole adventure thing sound, it is supremely tedious. And if supremely tedious is what adventure is, then I guess I don't want adventure.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Errr, once you reach Gran Soren you can buy ferrystones which will automatically whisk you back there from anywhere. The option is there, so if you didn't use it... you cant really complain about it.

The obvious reason why port crystals aren't commonly available until NG+ is because it they basically invalidate the whole open world premise. Once you have a bunch of them set... you can bounce point-to-point as much as you like. Making the money for them is not an issue.

Adventure games shouldn't absolve the player of making smart choices in terms of how/what/when travel choices. Picking your next point-of-call from a menu list is hardly conducive to building an impression of a sprawling and hostile wilderness!

Exactly. I'm glad they didn't include fast travel. The world is hardly big as it is. It would have cheapened the feeling of planning your travels dramatically. The options available are good enough.

Guys I've been on the fence with DD for weeks now. The demo didn't do much for me, as it didn't really give me any idea as to how the game plays outside of combat. I know this isn't supposed to be a game like the Elder Scrolls, but is there enough substance to the towns and world outside of constantly battling?

No. Story and character building in this game are pretty much non-existent. If you enjoy this game you enjoy it for the combat, sense of adventure and customization, imo.

I think it's just for the battle cry and stuff, it's pretty much the same voices as your pawn, so they just reuse them

I think it might also be used for (end of the game spoilers)
the final fight in NG+ where you fight another player's Arisen... if your Arisen is male anyway. I just finished NG+ a couple nights ago and "Savan" had that terrible male voice. His original voice is so badass, dammit.

That sounds all nice and wonderful, but at the end of the day, I don't want to pass through the canyon from Cassardis to Gran Soren for the 63rd time, hearing "Harpies!" and "They're weak against fire!" in the exact same place as it will all happen another 63 times. As wonderful and "authentic" it makes the whole adventure thing sound, it is supremely tedious. And if supremely tedious is what adventure is, then I guess I don't want adventure.

I wonder if a possible solution to this would have been shortcut gates that require you to be a certain level or something

Permanent (demon's souls) or semi-permanent shortcuts (some in dark souls) would have been greatly appreciated, at least by me.

I never had a problem in Dark Souls. Everything was so extremely well thought-out and rarely did anything feel like unnecessary backtracking.

gdt

I never had a problem in Dark Souls. Everything was so extremely well thought-out and rarely did anything feel like unnecessary backtracking.

Dark Souls has the best OW map of all time. Finding a shortcut is like having an orgasm. So wonderful.

I swear, if I have to trek through Moonsbit Pass again I'll shit.

Torraz

Didn't want to criticize dark souls at all. I just wanted to note that not all shortcuts are permanent. For instance that one gate has a lever that will also be triggered by respawning skelletons that will close it again.

Dark Souls has the best OW map of all time. Finding a shortcut is like having an orgasm. So wonderful.

I swear, if I have to trek through Moonsbit Pass again I'll shit.

Then go the long way, through the Ancient Quarry, southern Gransys, and Witchwood.
You don't ever really need to return to Cassardis, but if you're doing all the quests or something and you plan it right, you really only need to go back there a couple times, and you'll need to visit Witchwood around the same times anyway.

Also, place your portcrystal outside Cassardis. Saved me lots of frustration in NG+

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Another workaround would be to place five or so fixed Port Crystals that you had to manually activate which could be used without Ferrystones. Actually I think they should have completely omitted the system and made fast traveling 'free' - provided you activate the teleport locations scattered across the world.

The game has a few shortcuts but you had to use the Quarry and Soulflayer Canyon for that. I think there was one for the Catacombs as well. But the current system definitely needs some tweaking.

Didn't want to criticize dark souls at all. I just wanted to note that not all shortcuts are permanent. For instance that one gate has a lever that will also be triggered by respawning skelletons that will close it again.

The one before the Undead church? That skeleton could be killed easily though.

Anteater

It's just not a very well designed map and the enemies are too static is all, so you fight or run away from the same low level enemies that's around gran soren and running through the same corridor all the time. I think their team is just really bad at these (dmc4), or they could just use a bigger budget to design a bigger and more varied map with more routes and shortcuts.

Another workaround would be to place five or so fixed Port Crystals that you had to manually activate, which could be used without Ferrystones. Actually I think they should have completely omitted the system and made fast traveling 'free' - provided you activate the teleport locations scattered across the world.

The game has a few shortcuts but you had to use the Quarry and Soulflayer Canyon for that. I think there was one for the Catacombs as well. But the current system definitely needs some tweaking.

What? Soulflayer Canyon is not a shortcut. It's like 10x faster to take the road around it if you're going to the Greatwall

Torraz

So, I am near 26 on my nearly 8 wax seal magic archer and I am still using the first vendor bought magic bow. Other weapon categories have received some new vendor stock, but it seems I'm stuck with this. Any hints on where I can acquire a better bow? (As little spoilers as possible, please).

So I've just finished the quest at the bottom of the Pawn's Guild, two things:

1) Am I right in thinking that troll is high level and hence not worth killing?

2) Sprinting to the top was the sensible thing to do? I got a cutscene of my character running like Lee Majors but I'm never quite sure with this game...

Torraz

So I've just finished the quest at the bottom of the Pawn's Guild, two things:

1) Am I right in thinking that troll is high level and hence not worth killing?

2) Sprinting to the top was the sensible thing to do? I got a cutscene of my character running like Lee Majors but I'm never quite sure with this game...

1) You can stagger it near the edge to kill it by making it fall. Or it sometimes does a charge / rush attack. If you stand correctly and dodge it will run to its death.

2) Yes.

Anteater

Funny thing about harpies. I never had an easier time taking them out than when I was a Warrior. Warrior's jump attack just has such long reach...
But yeah, fighters are screwed without Skyward Lash

Yeah, warrior has crazy range, just a jump and a slash brings them down, and 1 area attack wipe them all, no fair
KuGsj.gif

Well actually its an official shortcut. You end up right near Greatwall if you use that.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120516121503/dragonsdogma/images/a/ab/Gransys_Map.jpg

Well, yeah, but like I said, it's much faster to use the road. Maybe if you ran straight through Soulflayer Canyon without killing anything it might be faster, but you still have to go all the way down to the bottom on the east side, then go through that little cave, then climb up a couple ladders, just to get out.

Plus if you ignore the harpies they'll probably make you fall off somewhere.

I guess you could also consider the well in Cassardis sort of a "shortcut" since the rear exit takes you past the Encampment, but it's probably faster to use the road there, too.

edit: my biggest regret of NG+ was not buying two port crystals and placing one at the Greatwall and one at Bluemoon Tower. Would have saved so much time. (I already had one at the Shadow Fort and one at Cassardis)

No. Story and character building in this game are pretty much non-existent. If you enjoy this game you enjoy it for the combat, sense of adventure and customization, imo.

there is quite a bit of story, but you have to actively seek it out. completing sidequests and watching key npc movement will tell you things that cutscenes will not. talk to people.

but the game shines in other aspects you mentioned more, that is true.

The story in this game is fucking great, from what I've played so far (not much).

Some dragon comes by and eats my fucking heart and I'm all like "fuck you asshole" and next thing I know I command an army of near-brain dead zombies. So I pick up my bow and arrow, investigate the possibility of the Duke perhaps commissioning some new roads, and stick a dagger into about 500 wolves.

Pretty fucking awesome if you ask me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
FateBreaker said:

You do know there are multiple routes through that entire area, right? Including one that bypasses the waycastle completely. Exploring the area and knowing it helps.

Following the road is the safe but slow route for when you're low-level, but when you're higher level going offroad is always faster. Especially if you have good stamina and aren't heavily laden you can sprint/jump most of the way.

StunandStab said:
What? Soulflayer Canyon is not a shortcut. It's like 10x faster to take the road around it if you're going to the Greatwall

Wrong. Soulflayer is much faster normally, and exponentially quicker if you know where to drop into the water, get brined and skip half the area!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The story in this game is fucking great, from what I've played so far (not much).

Some dragon comes by and eats my fucking heart and I'm all like "fuck you asshole" and next thing I know I command an army of near-brain dead zombies. So I pick up my bow and arrow, investigate the possibility of the Duke perhaps commissioning some new roads, and stick a dagger into about 500 wolves.

Not to mention, it's educational.

Did you know that wolves hunt in packs?

Anteater

Are you a bad enough dude to kill the dragon?

Yo Gotti

Banned
there is quite a bit of story, but you have to actively seek it out. completing sidequests and watching key npc movement will tell you things that cutscenes will not. talk to people.

The very beginning and the ending segments are great. I did nearly every sidequest in the game and there were so many "wtf?" story related moments that by the end of it the game had basically turned into a comedy for me. From the Arisens lack of any sort of personality or situational awareness to the bugged out affinity system. I honestly think the story parts of this game are just unfinished. The sidequests attempt to flesh out the world some but for the most part they're out of context and badly executed.

It would be misleading to tell anyone to play Dragon's Dogma expecting any kind of rich story experience.

LMAO, I'm crying over here!

The one that really annoyed me was the one about the Night's Champion BECAUSE WE ALREADY DID THE TWO ASSOCIATED QUESTS

THERE IS LITERALLY NO ROOM FOR DOUBT

Dresden

So, I am near 26 on my nearly 8 wax seal magic archer and I am still using the first vendor bought magic bow. Other weapon categories have received some new vendor stock, but it seems I'm stuck with this. Any hints on where I can acquire a better bow? (As little spoilers as possible, please).

Look up "Gold Idol."

give it a try. you'll get too powerful in this game halfway through and the dungeon design isn't as good. but there is more equipment, a bigger world and more classes to choose from. i'm a big souls fan and i love this game.
This sounds fine. I don't expect it to have as good level design as the Souls games, which are some of the best I've seen (I love the interlinking of Dark Souls's overworld, in particular).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yo Gotti said:
It would be misleading to tell anyone to play Dragon's Dogma expecting any kind of rich story experience.

Its there if you look for it. Honestly I don't believe that you'd hold that opinion if you'd done "nearly every sidequest in the game". There are a substantial number of support characters with their own multi-stage storylines, not to mention alternate outcomes depending on your choice of action.

Its very much like Dark Souls though, if you don't go looking for stuff at the right place/time you wouldn't know its there.

Anteater

Take your pick, any you like
DENTAL PLAN
Take your pick, any you like

Man you could get a lot of gold at the beginning of the game, have like 75k arriving at gran soren by just finishing the board quests around town.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The Duke thing was pretty interesting for a while, especially when you go into the Duchess' chamber at night. The whole thing was a bit underdeveloped. Even if they expanded on that a little more, like giving you more personal quests, the story would have been good considering the crazy ending.

The Duke thing was pretty interesting for a while, especially when you go into the Duchess' chamber at night. The whole thing was a bit underdeveloped. Even if they expanded on that a little more, like giving you more personal quests, the story would have been good considering the crazy ending.

The Duke was a failed Arisen, IIRC. I thought that made him more interesting. I think that's also why your Pawns aren't allowed in the castle - must be bad memories for the Duke. :p

8L93p.jpg

so many hidden chests up there, i missed most of them in my first playthrough. i was looking for the last missing journal entry.

DyBG0.jpg

dropped before he could flee, neat.

Y7TPg.jpg

i know no shame. rewarded with the hero trophy.

Top Bottom