• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Karak

Well, the game has mechanics from Monster Hunter and Shadow of the Colossus. I wouldn't compare DD to any of the Souls games, tbqh. DD has a unique feature with the Pawn trading/renting system.

I think the Souls comparison all started with the nighttime difficulty modifier and all the points about watching to make sure the pawns are balanced.

I also agree that it has a GREAT amount it owes to Shadow of the Colossus.

Spazznid

I'm trying to achieve making a Scottish Female Scout/assassin for my main and a young scottish girl as her companion/Aprentice Mage/Magic Archer.

Ver. 1
20120521212315499.jpg
Ver. 2 (Different lips)
20120521214612795.jpg

Thinking Ver. 1...
Will show Pawn soon.

I plan on giving my toon the Feather-ish cloak and anything fur. I wish there were a few more hairstyles that animated with physics, but this one is great enough.

I was bored and rented GoT for PS3 today. The gameplay in that is completely lifted from Dragon Age so I am not interested. Taking it back tomorrow for this. Goddamn I hope it is good. I have to sell my PS3 this weekend and this will be my final game.

Teknoman

1 part Skyrim
2 parts Dark Souls
1 part Castlevania LoS
Garnish with D&D bitters

Shaken not stirred. I don't know, my take.. anyone else?

This sounds awesome.

Heh I did something similar when Demon's Souls hit, except replace Skyrim and Dark Souls with survival horror and Zelda.

One more question though, I know the title theme is awesome, but the in game music is straight epic orchestral music right? Is it mostly...generic epic music, or are there some genuinely interesting or somewhat memorable themes?

Woot! Newegg shipped my game today and it should be here by tomorrow. I didn't even pick release day shipping or anything, how great.

What sucks is that I've been playing FFXIII for 30 hours now and I know that if I put Dragon's Dogma into my PS3 I'm never going back to it. This has happened far too many times and is what results in my backlog getting so goddamn large. Shit.

Never go back.

j/k. FFXIII is actually fun after the point you're at.

In preparation for the full game I just spent a good chunk of time fine-tuning my Arisen and I don't think I can make her anymore perfect. Wish I could take a photo but they're all coming out blurry.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm trying to achieve making a Scottish Female Scout/assassin for my main and a young scottish girl as her companion/Aprentice Mage/Magic Archer.

Thinking Ver. 1...
Will show Pawn soon.

I plan on giving my toon the Feather-ish cloak and anything fur. I wish there were a few more hairstyles that animated with physics, but this one is great enough.

TARDIS.jpg

Not Scottish, but still worthy.

Spazznid

Actually, I think I'm finished and ready for tomorrow.

TARDIS.jpg

Not Scottish, but still worthy.

She is a great candidate, but a tad too squishy for my strider. Amazingly, given enough time, I'm positive I could recreate her.

But here's my final versions.

Beware the crappy phone camera and lack of skin tone. They're pale, but not THAT pale...

Elizabeth-Strider of Scottish descent.

Felicia-Mage, child, and of Scottish descent.

They're supposed to seem related. I decided after trying to figure out what characters to make, to just make my own, and upon deciding on the hairstyle, I decided to make them scottish.

:::Food for Thought:::

Anyone making their own characters, try making them a bit... Pudgy... I kept thinking it looked right and when in-game, my character looked like she had anorexia or something, chicken-legs, and no arms.

It might seem like your character is really buff or thick in the editor, but try it and see how it looks in-game. My character has normal sized thighs (IMO) as well as well shaped arms.

I'm personally using:
Arm 10
Legs 8
and my weight is 2 (the middle)

I feel my character now has a normal, non-supermodel, weightiness to her.
Just a suggestion.

Effect

Well missed the release date delivery deadline so guess I'll have to wait. Will give it a few weeks and see if the price drops. How long do Capcom games usually stay at full price anyway?

Well missed the release date delivery deadline so guess I'll have to wait. Will give it a few weeks and see if the price drops anyway. How long do Capcom games usually stay at full price anyway?

Well, if stock estimates are truly low like they are being reported to be, it might be similar to Asura's Wrath. That came out in February and I think it's only dropped ten bucks at most.

Thats odd, have the other reviews mentioned the weird stuttering and loading problems on 360 mentioned in the IGN review? How bout you guys who already have it? God, this is the hardest platform decision Ive had to make in ages.

mollipen

You are not getting my point. You like cartoony and "over-stylized" games. Cool. That has nothing to do with Western and Japanese. (Moreover you are trying to make it seem like the Japanese devs are being dishonest to themselves for not appealing to your goofy/wacky sensibilities.)

No, I got your point, I'm just saying I think you're wrong. Doesn't mean you are wrong, it just means that I think you are. I think there's very clearly a more stereotypical Western style, and a more stereotypical Asian style.

And it's not that I necessarily like "cartoony and over-stylized" games—I just hate the "trying to be realistic" art style. But I guess if cartoony and over-stylized is the opposite of that, then I suppose I do. I just hate the visual style of games like Dragon's Dogma / Skyrim / Dragon Age / etc.

Yeah, character models look pretty nice to me, especially for an open world game. It's a good step above skyrim in terms of modeling and especially animations. You can see polygonal edges in skyrim, not so much here.

dd4tku1.jpg

Any tips for how you got this face? I swear, every attempt I've made at getting a good female face in this game has been something I wanted to erase and start over on after seeing them in the game's first cinema.

Karak

Thats odd, have the other reviews mentioned the weird stuttering and loading problems on 360 mentioned in the IGN review? How bout you guys who already have it? God, this is the hardest platform decision Ive had to make in ages.

I have beat it. No stuttering whatsoever no loading issues. Some popup and minimal tearing. But no no stuttering at all. And the way I play I have been surrounded by a serious amount of badguys at one time. The 360 has more foilage, small increase in shadow distance, and better FPS, the PS3 has less popup and no tearing. I have seen them both first hand, beat the 360 and played the PS3 version a couple hours and watched even more.

Honestly I would go with the controller you like the most. That is, in the end what you will be interacting with the most. Secondly would be friend lists. Because Pawns from friends are cool.

The bottom line is the game is NOT technical perfection, the team pushed both systems harder than they could go.

I have beat it. No stuttering whatsoever no loading issues. Some popup and minimal tearing. But no no stuttering at all. And the way I play I have been surrounded by a serious amount of badguys at one time. The 360 has more foilage, small increase in shadow distance, and better FPS, the PS3 has less popup and no tearing.

Honestly I would go with the controller you like the most. That is, in the end what you will be interacting with the most. Secondly would be friend lists. Because Pawns from friends are cool.
Ugh you're killing me. Did you have the game installed? (only have a 4gb 360 here)

Karak

Ugh you're killing me. Did you have the game installed? (only have a 4gb 360 here)

Yes sir. Not installed for the first 4-6 hours then installed for the rest.
It really should be about your controller and your friend list to be honest.
I would go with the PS3 version then(taking a hit in the FPS but not huge). The 360 if you can install. I am very unacceptable to low fps while others can't stand tearing.

On the topic of making characters. I still think this game has, hands down, the best editor I have used so far. At first it appears almost obtuse, but as you slowly work through it man so much you can do!

I have beat it. No stuttering whatsoever no loading issues. Some popup and minimal tearing. But no no stuttering at all. And the way I play I have been surrounded by a serious amount of badguys at one time. The 360 has more foilage, small increase in shadow distance, and better FPS, the PS3 has less popup and no tearing. I have seen them both first hand, beat the 360 and played the PS3 version a couple hours and watched even more.

The bottom line is the game is NOT technical perfection, the team pushed both systems harder than they could go.

Thanks, you've been a great help.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Will any of open world fantasy games ever not fit 90 percent of optional quests into caves? I am getting cave fatigue.

Sounds like I'm getting the PS3 version. Can deal with a lower FPS if it means no tearing and less pop-in and I like the Dualshock better. Also my friends list on 360 consists mostly of "real life" friends and none of them want this game. Assholes.

Spazznid

No, I got your point, I'm just saying I think you're wrong. Doesn't mean you are wrong, it just means that I think you are. I think there's very clearly a more stereotypical Western style, and a more stereotypical Asian style.

And it's not that I necessarily like "cartoony and over-stylized" games—I just hate the "trying to be realistic" art style. But I guess if cartoony and over-stylized is the opposite of that, then I suppose I do. I just hate the visual style of games like Dragon's Dogma / Skyrim / Dragon Age / etc.

Any tips for how you got this face? I swear, every attempt I've made at getting a good female face in this game has been something I wanted to erase and start over on after seeing them in the game's first cinema.

Have you tried Guild Wars 2? The great thing, I think, about that is that they seem to have found the perfect mid-point between artistically pleasing and grounded in reality. Example...

I agree, I like both styles, but you can achieve pretty good looking faces if you know what you are doing. just not very stylized... So GW2 is my outlet for that :D

I'm not an expert, but I understand where you are coming from saying it's hard to make faces not so fugly...

My advice is this.
You might look at a Face Shape and like it, and look at a nose and like it, and look at a mouth and like it, but they usually don't really fit together well. I start with a shape, and then quickly choose a nose and mouth and eyes and then move them around and then if need be, I go back and choose another shape. Rinse and Repeat until you are happy.

It's pretty surprising how the shape can fuck EVERYTHING up, even if it seemed great at first. My only gripe with the CaC is the lack of armor views and the limited camera/lighting.

You could go with the premade faces and then change from there.

know that feel bro.

Tell me how cliche this is: my 360 friends list is IRL friends who like stupid shit and shooters and could not defend themselves in an argument if their lives depended on it, and my PS3 list is a couple of IRL friends who are the exact opposite of the IRL 360 friends as well as people who tend to like Japanese games and RPG's.

I'm not stereotyping here, but it does slightly amuse me. And sorry for all the IRL's, I know how lame that is, I'm just lazy.

rozire

Neo Member

That's Plywood's character:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37287510&highlight=#post37287510

p1040799c.jpg

Just got back from midnight launch. about 20 or so people there. all for the Ghost Recon game. I was the only Arisen.

PS I didnt know Ghost Recon game with a Frycry 3 beta :(

1stStrike

Banned
That stream is pretty hilarious. Guy just beat this big ass monster that took like 20 minutes to defeat and then not 2 minutes later was running along and got crushed by a boulder lol. Now he's fighting it again.

I dunno if its my copy for my Xbox, I had a hell of a time installing this game. I kept just clicking in the drive, had to reboot the console 3 times to get the install going. Hope my slim is not going out already...

Just got the go-ahead from duckroll to create a thread in Gaming Community for Pawn sharing, screenshot sharing and PSN/XBL ID sharing. Should be up shortly and I'll ask Dresden to include it in the OP.

Top Bottom