• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Hazanko

Banned
When will a xbox 360 vs ps3 comparison come out? I was going to get the 360 version but that Ign review said ps3 is better, so I'm not sure now.

Xander51

Got the release date mixed up so I went to Gamestop today by mistake. I wasn't going to bother reserving a copy but then the guy behind the counter said that they only have three copies of each version and only one of each was left so I put my money down. Dat shit cray!

GameStop lives and dies by preorders. Pretty sure you got played. :lol

I'm not so sure he did actually. I'm friends with the manager at my local Gamestop and they only got 3 extra copies of each version above their pre-orders. They were rather surprised. I think Capcom under-shipped this game.

Nemesis_

I'm not so sure he did actually. I'm friends with the manager at my local Gamestop and they only got 3 extra copies of each version above their pre-orders. They were rather surprised. I think Capcom under-shipped this game.

Either way, who cares? You pre-ordered, so what? You still get the game and you probably get a bonus piece of DLC or something for doing so.

I just don't understand how he's getting "played" when he's still going to get the game =/

I haven't been following either, have people confirmed how the two versions run? I remember hearing that 360 had awful pop in issues compared to PS3, or am I just nuts?

Xander51

Either way, who cares? You pre-ordered, so what? You still get the game and you probably get a bonus piece of DLC or something for doing so.

I just don't understand how he's getting "played" when he's still going to get the game =/

That's a fair point. The more people that buy this game, the better!

RPGCrazied

I haven't been following either, have people confirmed how the two versions run? I remember hearing that 360 had awful pop in issues compared to PS3, or am I just nuts?

Bascially the 360 has the higher framerate, but has tearing. The PS3 version runs at a lower framerate but has zero tearing. Easy decision for me.

Even though my copy shipped today, I probably won't get it til a week later..

Just checked my tracking, estimated delivery is tomorrow!! Amazon is awesome.

I like the xena idea above, alrdy had a feeling someones gona do that so I am thinking of making either lightning n amodar, or beatrix n steiner w beatrix as strider. I think I want a fat person in my party

Nemesis_

Pretty sure the demo won't be available for a few weeks yet. Some time in June, I think.

Oh, right. I was kind of thinking maybe the card with the code on it would be like PLAY THE ADA'S WARDROBE LEVEL or something, just some more details to fawn over =P.

It's first week of July, btw.

Yeah it doesn't bother me if they played me since I was going to give them my monies anyway. If there really are only 6 copies, it's just a guarantee that the monies they get for the game are my monies.

Quick question to anyone who's been playing it already.

How is the game outside of combat? Exploration, etc. Are towns active hubs, or do they feel like set-pieces? Are there guilds to align with (fighters, thieves, etc)?

Nemesis_

Anecdotal evidence, I'm sure, but my local store has received about six copies for each platform. Not a huge amount for a game like this (and two of each were pre-ordered, so about four copies to sell).

Karak

Bascially the 360 has the higher framerate, but has tearing. The PS3 version runs at a lower framerate but has zero tearing. Easy decision for me.

And both builds are better than the demo by leaps and bounds. Far less screen tearing on the 360. I installed it from the disk and this stops some of the popin but I still notice it. While it does indeed seem to have more foilage and so forth and its framerate was higher than the PS3 version I played today. And that version has really got better compared to the almost single digit FPS of the demo at times. I am sensitive to anything under 30 though so the PS3 version seemed jittery as hell to me. Anyone who can play stuff at around 20-25FPS should be fine with the PS3 version

Karak

Quick question to anyone who's been playing it already.

How is the game outside of combat? Exploration, etc. Are towns active hubs, or do they feel like set-pieces? Are there guilds to align with (fighters, thieves, etc)?

There are not a great deal of cities or towns. Many smaller areas and so forth. I would say that they feel more like smaller hubs then just set peices but the major city is big. It is just rather EMPTY sadly.

Exploration is encouraged due to the landscape at times and at other times you are in a valley with no where else to go. It really depends on where you are.
The major guild is the pawn guild itself.

Hmm.

There are not a great deal of cities or towns. Many smaller areas and so forth. I would say that they feel more like smaller hubs then just set peices but the major city is big. It is just rather EMPTY sadly.

Exploration is encouraged due to the landscape at times and at other times you are in a valley with no where else to go. It really depends on where you are.
The major guild is the pawn guild itself.

Hmmmm..

mollipen

Shidoshi

This is utterly dumb.

No, c'mon, the game is Japanese, it should have anime hair and giant eyes.

I'm not saying it has to be all anime hair and giant eyes, but I'm sorry—I'm sick of this boring and horrifically ugly pseudo-realistic visual style that Western RPGs have indeed helped to usher in. If people like the look, then great! I hate it. (And to be fair, I also hated it in Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, games I adore.)

I want more games going for less realism and more of an artistic style. I loved WoW for how it looks, and I'm also a sucker for the various Korean MMOs out there. (Some of their armor design? Not so much.)

I don't want a total anime overdose, because I hate that look as well. I'm just tired of this trend of Japanese developers thinking they need to make their games look more Western (which I'll argue is indeed what's happening until I'm blue in the face). Dragon's Dogma is a fun game, but good lord is it ugly and boring visually (style-wise, not technically).

As today is a public holiday in Canada my tracking hasn't updated since Friday (no updates on the weekend either) but I have a funny feeling
hope
that it'll be here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be ahead on my work term project so I can get a chance to try it out when it gets here.

And both builds are better than the demo by leaps and bounds. Far less screen tearing on the 360.

Good to hear, I'm not expecting much in terms of polish but the more the merrier.

Also...this post makes me want to go back and finish Lost: Via Domus, which wasn't something I ever expected to say.

I don't mean to hype it up too much but it's pretty crazy. It made the 4 hour slog through that game feel bearable in hindsight.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not saying it has to be all anime hair and giant eyes, but I'm sorry—I'm sick of this boring and horrifically ugly pseudo-realistic visual style that Western RPGs have indeed helped to usher in. If people like the look, then great! I hate it. (And to be fair, I also hated it in Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, games I adore.)

I want more games going for less realism and more of an artistic style. I loved WoW for how it looks, and I'm also a sucker for the various Korean MMOs out there. (Some of their armor design? Not so much.)

I don't want a total anime overdose, because I hate that look as well. I'm just tired of this trend of Japanese developers thinking they need to make their games look more Western.

How do you know this isn't the art style that the designers wanted to take regardless of any attempt to appeal to a western audience?

I pretty much hate the typical Lineage 2-style look that so many Korean MMORPGs have. I love more realistic approaches like this. Dragon's Dogma and the Souls games are pretty much my ideal style for medieval fantasy RPGs.

Yay for opinions.

Teknoman

So...any reason why PS3 is getting the RE6 demo so late? I'm not getting the game just for the demo of course, but i'd like to know why its so spaced out.

God forbid Japanese developers experiment on artistic style that they haven't provided us in the last many years. I love the "flavor" to JRPGs and generally like that style more than non-J-RPGs, but to me it is absolutely refreshing to have them experiment and not stick to what people identify with them as. Similarly, I like it when a brave studio in the US/Canda/UK tries to replicate a style very similar to Japanese. I've never understood why the "pseudo-realistic" has to be destroyed and reverted back to the same style I've come to expect from them my whole life. Again, I like their style, but I just don't see the harm in them branching out to western looks. It's your opinion, and it's one that I don't agree with at all.

Karak

Concerning art and the art direction. In my own opinion from start to finish that is one of the high points of the game. From the enemies to the character generator to the uhm...badguy at the end. REALLY well done.

Riposte

I don't want a total anime overdose, because I hate that look as well. I'm just tired of this trend of Japanese developers thinking they need to make their games look more Western (which I'll argue is indeed what's happening until I'm blue in the face). Dragon's Dogma is a fun game, but good lord is it ugly and boring visually (style-wise, not technically).

You are not getting my point. You like cartoony and "over-stylized" games. Cool. That has nothing to do with Western and Japanese. (Moreover you are trying to make it seem like the Japanese devs are being dishonest to themselves for not appealing to your goofy/wacky sensibilities.)

Bladenic

Dang talk about mixed reception.

Anyone know if the RE6 demo code is first come first serve (like first production copies) or as long as you get a new copy you can get the demo, even later on? Course by the time the price for this game drops the RE6 demo would've probably already come out for free lol

Roubjon

Woot! Newegg shipped my game today and it should be here by tomorrow. I didn't even pick release day shipping or anything, how great.

What sucks is that I've been playing FFXIII for 30 hours now and I know that if I put Dragon's Dogma into my PS3 I'm never going back to it. This has happened far too many times and is what results in my backlog getting so goddamn large. Shit.

Top Bottom