• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Anteater

I wonder if a weather system will actually work for this game, rainy days that gives constant drenching through out the entire day, getting fucked by lightning and ice, will fire spells and lantern become useless? Can we bring an umbrella?

Will our pawns consistently reminding us we are soaked to the bone?

I wonder if a weather system will actually work for this game, rainy days that gives constant drenching through out the entire day, getting fucked by lightning and ice, will fire spells and lantern become useless? Can we bring an umbrella?

Will our pawns consistently reminding us we are soaked to the bone?

I would LOVE a weather system in DD2, I remember the first time I saw an overcast sky I was like "It's going to rain!!"....and it never did.

Damn I need some advice.

I've only just started the game and I got to that second town bit where I found that stone thing and got my self a second pawn.

Im trying to do the quest from your home town where you need to find some girl who is lost. It took me a while to figure out the marker and where to go and while Im almost there I keep gettin killed by these bandits and their wolves.

I tried to do another quest in the home town where you go down some well but then I got killed by the monsters.

Seems pretty hard so far. What should I do? Just focus on the main quest? I think I need better weapons too.

Damn I need some advice.

I've only just started the game and I got to that second town bit where I found that stone thing and got my self a second pawn.

Im trying to do the quest from your home town where you need to find some girl who is lost. It took me a while to figure out the marker and where to go and while Im almost there I keep gettin killed by these bandits and their wolves.

I tried to do another quest in the home town where you go down some well but then I got killed by the monsters.

Seems pretty hard so far. What should I do? Just focus on the main quest? I think I need better weapons too.

Stick with the main quest for a little while. The game starts off very difficult but it eases up quite a bit. In fact if you have friends with high level pawns the game is basically easy-mode. But, yeah, I wouldn't side quest until you get far enough that you have your full team.

Damn I need some advice.

Yeah, you are a bit under-leveled for those quests. Just keep on with the main quest.
Just be warned if you proceed to the main capital (I think) you will lose the Witchwood quest, which later opens up more quest there.
That or if you do the Pawn guild quest in the capital city.

Anteater

Damn I need some advice.

Do the first few main story quest that takes you to gran soren, you could buy better gears there and come back, I know there's a bit of backtracking but I think you could pick up a board quest or two there that want you to go to witchwood and area around encampment.

You will also get a few levels traveling there, a warning though, if you proceed with the main quest at gran soren (pawn guild quest to be precise), some quests will get cancelled so finish the witchwood quest first.

I've reached the
Wyrm hunt: Hear the Duke's Directive
quest in the main questline, and the guy's telling me that if I accept the quest, all of my current quests will end. Will I have to complete them before starting this new quest, or will they reopen later on? Will it lock out quests that are available, but I haven't started yet

Normally I'd just do them, but they're all variations of 'Slay X number of Ys. Region: Z.'
I'm a bit of a completionist, so it'll piss me off if I have to fail them or grind for hours on end looking for creatures to kill and resting in inns to make them respawn.

Pretty lame curveball tbh

edit: Wait, just read the wiki. Have they just poorly communicated that it'd fail other quests given to me by the quest-giver, not all the quests I have open?

Anteater

I've reached the
Wyrm hunt: Hear the Duke's Directive
quest in the main questline, and the guy's telling me that if I accept the quest, all of my current quests will end. Will I have to complete them before starting this new quest, or will they reopen later on? Will it lock out quests that are available, but I haven't started yet

Normally I'd just do them, but they're all variations of 'Slay X number of Ys. Region: Z.'
I'm a bit of a completionist, so it'll piss me off if I have to fail them or grind for hours on end looking for creatures to kill and resting in inns to make them respawn.

Pretty lame curveball tbh

edit: Wait, just read the wiki. Have they just poorly communicated that it'd fail other quests given to me by the quest-giver, not all the quests I have open?

Yeah he meant the Wyvern hunt quests since he want you to hand in the "Wyvern hunt license"

Fetch quests and kill quests don't get cancelled by the way if I'm not mistaken, only npc quests, which open and close after certain main missions.

Schwabe

So capcom changed the grace period of the ur-dragon. Insteaf of no health he got a tiny bot of health. I missed out the last heart at the left wing, he left and i was ashamed and rewarded for contributing. Aaaaargh!

Really liking the way my character's panning out. Got some decent gear, my main is awesome and seems to be liked by players who hire him. I'm at a crossroads vocation-wise. I'm at Level 10 in Strider and Ranger, and enjoy using the bow. I've found that its not as challenging as I'd like though. I'm not sure whether to switch to Fighter and see how it goes. I'm scared of being battered at Level 1 though, and most of my equipment will be redundant all of a sudden.

Fantastic game. Will I miss out if I don't get to the Ur-Dragon in the next couple of weeks?

Someone gave me a Ferrystone after using my pawn. Don't wanna risk using it though in case its a forgery

Anteater

Entered catacombs from the second entrance thinking it was a shortcut on rank 1 assassin, fights an ogre and phantoms

m1RKY.png

Dorrin

At level 20 I had made it through Sorc rank 5. I decided to switch over to Mystic Knight, I used my fighter pawn's old maxed out sword and mostly clothing items from my sorc, just getting the shield and an armor chest piece. I also grabbed the warrior profession to get the defense augment. It seems to be making a world of difference for me. Difficult fights are much more manageable now even with my low hp/stamina, much more enjoyable.

Anteater

At level 20 I had made it through Sorc rank 5. I decided to switch over to Mystic Knight, I used my fighter pawn's old maxed out sword and mostly clothing items from my sorc, just getting the shield and an armor chest piece. I also grabbed the warrior profession to get the defense augment. It seems to be making a world of difference for me. Difficult fights are much more manageable now even with my low hp/stamina, much more enjoyable.

Yeah, I think melee characters are a lot easier to play, fighter and mystic knight are probably the easiest especially the beginning of the game, you will probably enjoy MK as they have a lot of skills to use, it's a great class.

Marbles

Could someone point me in the right direction to find the King Bay Leaves over in Witchwood. I'm on NG+ and i've not managed to stumble across any.

Anteater

Could someone point me in the right direction to find the King Bay Leaves over in Witchwood. I'm on NG+ and i've not managed to stumble across any.

They are in
the area right beside the grave when you do the witchhunt quest
, I think there are only 3 and you need to return to get them all, but I could be wrong, I didn't bother going back on my new game+ and just forged the rest, since I was kind of rich.

Third time for the final mission. First time I was a MK, which was fine until the final boss where he was just useless. What's the point of having a climbing mechanic when you won't actually let the player use it effectively. Just tried there with a MA. Got stuck on the
self healing chimera, because despite my pawns constantly telling me to take out the healer I was the only one trying to do that.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i just ''finished''

And now im in postgame, i went in a room with an evil eye and he absolutely destroyed me. i feel like im lvl 1 but in reality im lvl40 with 8xx magick -_-

i just ''finished''

And now im in postgame, i went in a room with an evil eye and he absolutely destroyed me. i feel like im lvl 1 but in reality im lvl40 with 8xx magick -_-

I'd say you're on the low end for that stuff; I was lvl60 something at the start of that and the Hellhounds/Grim Goblins/GeoSaurians on the way to Gran Soren tore me to pieces. I barely made it to the city, didn't even try to fight the Wyvern that's right outside the gates.

Anteater

Third time for the final mission. First time I was a MK, which was fine until the final boss where he was just useless. What's the point of having a climbing mechanic when you won't actually let the player use it effectively. Just tried there with a MA. Got stuck on the
self healing chimera, because despite my pawns constantly telling me to take out the healer I was the only one trying to do that.

I climbed its belly on fighter, the climbing control sucks though

Schwabe

Reached level 147... I should make a new char, it's no challenge at all, also alone the archydra went down pretty fast ... But i like my char, don't want to grow up again^^

I'd say you're on the low end for that stuff; I was lvl60 something at the start of that and the Hellhounds/Grim Goblins/GeoSaurians on the way to Gran Soren tore me to pieces. I barely made it to the city, didn't even try to fight the Wyvern that's right outside the gates.

Whoa, your level is pretty low.

Damn if he's low level then I'm fucked :( I'm only level 47. With that said though I had little problems making it to the waycastle against the hellhounds, and grimgoblins...well until one of my pawns gave me fire against a hellhound...fuuuuu

Anteater

Damn if he's low level then I'm fucked :( I'm only level 47. With that said though I had little problems making it to the waycastle against the hellhounds, and grimgoblins...well until one of my pawns gave me fire against a hellhound...fuuuuu

nah if you could make it to gran soren, you're probably fine, it's not really harder :p

The Hellhounds and Grim Goblins on the way to Gran Soren are almost more difficult than what you'll find in the Everfall, barring the multiple bosses at once. Those little bastard Grims don't stagger for ANYTHING!

"I'm smacking your tiny ass with a giant mace, fall the fuck down!"

*Grim shoulder charges through everything and knocks me down*
*gets stomped on by multiple Grims*

----

Skeleton mages can really fuck you up if you're not careful.

I was going solo to take out the Wyvern at Bluemoon Tower as a Warrior to dragonforge some stuff, on the stairway to the arena there are 3, sometimes 4 of them.

I got stun-locked by the harpies' ice sneezes and then hit with the skeletons' lightning strikes.

Hit by lightning > fall down > stand up > hit by lightning > fall down > stand up > rinse and repeat for 2 or 3 minutes. I got lucky and managed to just barely jump away at one point.

I hate getting stun-locked.

ezekial45

Banned
I just went to the Witchwood in post game, and I can't seem to enter a door that is blocked by an inanimate Golem. Am I missing something?

Anteater

Skeleton mages can really fuck you up if you're not careful.

I was going solo to take out the Wyvern at Bluemoon Tower as a Warrior to dragonforge some stuff, on the stairway to the arena there are 3, sometimes 4 of them.

I got stun-locked by the harpies' ice sneezes and then hit with the skeletons' lightning strikes.

Hit by lightning > fall down > stand up > hit by lightning > fall down > stand up > rinse and repeat for 2 or 3 minutes. I got lucky and managed to just barely jump away at one point.

I hate getting stun-locked.

haha, yeah I got frozen from a offscreen mage and got fireballed a few times

I think they deliberately did this too, I ran down the stairs here and they despawned and spawns again when I walked back up
KuGsj.gif
, they were probably like "yep I know you're going to run and try cheesing it one by one."

I just went to the Witchwood in post game, and I can't seem to enter a door that is blocked by an inanimate Golem. Am I missing something?

Did you never do the quest where
people are angry at Selene and think she summoned the dragon, so you go to help her and the Golem revives and fights you?
Because if you didn't, I think that section becomes blocked off

Majmun

Finished it today. Also beat the hardest optional boss in the game. Took me 59 hours to beat the game, that's including post game. But I didn't do all the sidequests.

Spent probably 10 hours just traveling from A to B. Traveling is such a pain sometimes. You can only teleport back to the main city. You'll have to revisit all the other places on foot. And teleporting is fucking expensive too. I've read that you can buy portcrystal landmarks in NG+. But that's too late. And they seem to co 200k gold a piece.:-\

The game somehow feels unfinished. It's pretty bare bones. But it still mananges to be good.

What I'd like to see in the sequel:

- Better fast travel mechanism
- Better menu. The current one is pretty messy.
- Better quest menu. It's not always clear if the current quest you're doing is a main quest or a sidequest.
- The worldmap is pretty huge. But there's no variety. I want to see more variety in the environments.
- Weather system. It's always summer in the game.
- More enemy variety
- Better system for searching specific pawns
- A better told story. It can compliment the game universe. Games such as Nier or Drakegard had some really weird and obscure stories. Those stories made the whole gameworld pretty interesting. DG lacks any of that.

And they need get rid of the annoying NPC repeat quotes. Shopping can be a hell sometimes. I'm looking at you, weapon smith in Gran Soren. -___-

I like the graphics. The game can look pretty stunning at times. Especially dungeons. The lighting is pretty good.
The difficulty is acceptable. You're just probably using the wrong vocataion or wrong pawns if you suck at this. I personally keep my pawns balanced.

My team:

I went from Fighter>>>>Assassin>>>>>Mystic Knight.
Main pawn is a sorcerer
Mage Pawn for curing and positive buffs
and another sorcerer pawn with different skill tree for extra damage

Basically a sorcerer team. I've breezed through the game with this set up.

Wanted to start a New Game+. But unlike Demon's and Dark Souls, the game doesn't scale the difficulty. So I'll have to play the whole game overlevelled. LAME. Not really interested in that.

But yeah, it was a fun ride.

ezekial45

Banned
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

First the Blighted Manse quest, and now this.

Did you never do the quest where
people are angry at Selene and think she summoned the dragon, so you go to help her and the Golem revives and fights you?
Because if you didn't, I think that section becomes blocked off
Nope. I went into her house and that was the first time I saw her.

Anteater

I really hate it when skeleton uses stinger, I fail to block every single one of them for some reason.

Stupid ballsac.

I never knew there's a "Slow" spell until now -_-

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

First the Blighted Manse quest, and now this.

Nope. I went into her house and that was the first time I saw her.

Lol, how could miss that quest. People were arguing directly in front of the Inn at Gran Soren, the place you go to do basically everything items, sleep and vocation wise.

What is the point of the magic stat on some warrior weapons? My flamberge seems stronger than anything else I find, but now that i gave the gold idol to caxton, he has new items which are expensive, but less attack than the Flamberge, however, they seem to have elements and Magic stats. Are they better?

Nohar

What is the point of the magic stat on some warrior weapons? My flamberge seems stronger than anything else I find, but now that i gave the gold idol to caxton, he has new items which are expensive, but less attack than the Flamberge, however, they seem to have elements and Magic stats. Are they better?

I asked the same question earlier, but no answer :'(

errr what vvvv said

I figured it this way:

- Non-enchanted weapon does 1000 base-damage.
- Enchanted weapon does 800 base-damage but 300 elemental-damage of (fire, ice, etc.)

The normal weapons are all-round useful, while the enchanted ones (while having a lower base dmg) are designed to be used against certain enemy types, i.e. Ice enchanted weapons against Hellhounds.

Unrelated: I'm disappointed that there are no special Bows you can earn for defeating the Ur-Dragon. Everyone else gets unique stuff but Striders, Rangers, and Magick Archers are stuck sharing one pair of daggers.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Second said:
Took me 59 hours to beat the game

At only 59 hours I doubt you've seen close to everything the game has to offer; you could easily spend half that just doing the extra stuff in post-game.

the magic stats mean they can actually hurt creature impervious to damage. eg. if you fight something like the ghosts; with a MA you can shoot them to death easily. Without magic damage; they won't even be hurt.

I think if a creature can get hurt by the magic/element damage then :

its damage+element(multiplier if "weak to") +magic damage)

Yo Gotti

Banned

I think that Enchanted is pretty much always better unless you're fighting an enemy with a resistance to the enchantment. Ex. Ice on Snow Harpies is useless.

Although, fire still seems to do some extra damage to Hellhounds.

At only 59 hours I doubt you've seen close to everything the game has to offer; you could easily spend half that just doing the extra stuff in post-game.

Am I missing something? What could you spend 59 hours doing in the post-game?

Edit: I see you said half of 59 hours. Still I got bored in post-game after about 8, what extra stuff are you talking about?

Top Bottom