• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

maomaoIYP

Just played the demo, and quite liked this. I might get it once it drops in price. How long is the game?
I'm over 200 hrs in, I have all the achievements, playing my 3rd character now and I'm still finding things I haven't before.

Bought the game today and played for a short while. So far, so good, but I'm getting slaughtered in the well in the first town. What level should I be to attempt the lizardmen there?
If you fight them one by one you can do it at a very low level.

You can really make someone look apelike in this game.

This makes it a special RPG for me.

Character creation in the demo.

Like Chris up there... I'm waiting for it to officially bomb in America so I can get it for cheaper.

Kolgar

I think around 30-40hrs just to beat it, probably more if you take your time

Shoot, mang, I'm 65 hours in and I only just
met the Duke
and
slew the griffon.

Feels like I'm just hitting my stride.

I figured out why I like the game so. It's a little bit like Gauntlet with some Skyrim thrown in, with a pinch of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Shadow of Colossus for good measure.

Been waiting for a game like this my whole life!

Anteater

Shoot, mang, I'm 65 hours in and I only just
met the Duke
and
slew the griffon.

Feels like I'm just hitting my stride.

I figured out why I like the game so. It's a little bit like Gauntlet with some Skyrim thrown in, with a pinch of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Shadow of Colossus for good measure.

Been waiting for a game like this my whole life!

Reminds me a bit of dragon age too, I remember changing my hair so much through mods, so they actually add a barber shop in DD, they really played some of those games and probably add whatever they think players would want, I thought it's pretty cool.

Man bandit mages+strider+dire wolves are annoying! Direwolves shouldn't be helping them

OSHAN and my pawn, my pawn is on the left and his is the taller chick on the right.
OSHAN copyin my swag >.>
irj9WUneJaq60.jpg

Some people just want to watch the world burn
ibmSHXJDiAOV6A.jpg

Anteater

Golem fight, and a new haircut.

At the bottom shot it's a bunch of bandits that pretended they were being scared by wolves and proceeded to attack me WITH them, assholes...

dragonsdogmascreenshos7mzh.jpg

dragonsdogmascreenshotb83v.jpg

dragonsdogmascreensho81aub.jpg

So for it to be worthwhile being a Magic Knight, all you really gotta focus on is your Magic stat correct? I finally got Great Cannon, havent tried it yet but I had 47 levels in the melee/str classes thus far. Am I going to just be crappy as a Magic Knight? Or should I just duck into the Mage classes to get some Augments and I'll be fine?

Also, what skills/augs generally make a good MK setup?

Arla

how the hell are you guys hitting 30 to 60 hour so early ? i already slew the Griffin, I'm level 28 and probably just reached 20hrs.

Anteater

It's significantly shorter if you don't walk back and forth a lot or just know where to go, it's even shorter if you just do the main story quests.

I've done most of the quests this run and close to the end of the game and I'm only 30hrs in, I haven't even maxed any of my vocations either for some reason, my first run I would even just shop around and gearing up my character/pawn for almost an hour

So for it to be worthwhile being a Magic Knight, all you really gotta focus on is your Magic stat correct? I finally got Great Cannon, havent tried it yet but I had 47 levels in the melee/str classes thus far. Am I going to just be crappy as a Magic Knight? Or should I just duck into the Mage classes to get some Augments and I'll be fine?

Also, what skills/augs generally make a good MK setup?

Augmentations:

Bloodlust
Perpetuation
Attunement
Acuity
Articulacy
Adamance
Periphery

Get some Augments from the Assassin and Sorcerer vocations. Make a forgery of the Wyrmking ring and have it in your inventory to reduce cast times.

BeeDog

I probably just suck hard, but this game is destroying me. Just reached Everfall (I'm lvl 14) and the enemies there massacre me.

Ricker

Just go across the bridge to the right (when you exit the Gran Soren) and keep heading right. It's a linear path and there's really only one way there.

Thanks,I will try that,could of sworn most paths on the right where mountain dead ends...

Ricker

I probably just suck hard, but this game is destroying me. Just reached Everfall (I'm lvl 14) and the enemies there massacre me.

You have to just run out the first time I believe and not try to fight all those worms coming out of the ground(I think thats the place)...but yeah before you reach level 20,some area's can be hard(bandits for example).

how the hell are you guys hitting 30 to 60 hour so early ? i already slew the Griffin, I'm level 28 and probably just reached 20hrs.

i'm 33 hours in and i have just finished some quests and i have the option to
meet the duke
but i won't because i still have 2 quests to do and several other places to explore ...

Following the story quests in IMO the most Boring way to play the game ( at first )

sublimit

Banned
Is it just me that thinks the giant rusty sword looks totally badass?(especially when it's boosted with fire affinity).
Too bad its stats are crap though. :/

Yo Gotti

Banned
I believe Gold Weapons cast silence on anything you hit with them once you upgrade them to 3 Star.

If you dragonforge them, not sure what happens.

Anteater

This twitter account has always been weird, like posting demo announcements well after the full game was out. But the latest tweet is this... https://twitter.com/the_arisen/status/218331785078120450

Not sure what to make of it.

That's them retweeting the "developer comments" during development, a lot of them are really weird

That's normal, just run past everyone.

If he's talking about the normal enemies and not the
tentacles
than it's not really too normal :p

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
ok.. missed the dragon the other day .. but I'm back at work prepared this time...

So if anyone is playing today - please... PRETTY please.. if you fight Ur Dragon at some point today and he dies/hits his grace period... PM a brotha!! I have my game setup at home so all my wife has to do is walk through the door to his chamber. That should save me a seat in the grace period correct??!! Or will she need to kill the crazy pawns as well??

Either way. PM... hook it up. I want that dragon dead meng...

fallingdove

ok.. missed the dragon the other day .. but I'm back at work prepared this time...

So if anyone is playing today - please... PRETTY please.. if you fight Ur Dragon at some point today and he dies/hits his grace period... PM a brotha!! I have my game setup at home so all my wife has to do is walk through the door to his chamber. That should save me a seat in the grace period correct??!! Or will she need to kill the crazy pawns as well??

Either way. PM... hook it up. I want that dragon dead meng...

I believe you will still have to attack all of the targets(even though the dragon has no health). All of the grace period URs have required me to do so - a single arrow to all of the targets seemed to do the trick but depending on how much of a gamer your wife is, she could still die.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I believe you will still have to attack all of the targets(even though the dragon has no health). All of the grace period URs have required me to do so - a single arrow to all of the targets seemed to do the trick but depending on how much of a gamer your wife is, she could still die.

LoL .. at 84 i would probably banish her from the ps3 alltogether if she dies. My pawns should be more than able to handle the Possessed Pawn group. It's the game letting me hang out in that chamber with the game paused and the dragon at .01% life and still letting me get the kill that i'm worried about. worth a try at least...

don't suppose anyone has fought the Ur-Dragon this morning... have they? He was down to about 3 life bars left last night at 3:30...

Belenos

Banned
Still waiting for badge of vows 101-200

I'm still hoping that something awesome will happen when you get all 100 Badges of Vows.

LoL .. at 84 i would probably banish her from the ps3 alltogether if she dies. My pawns should be more than able to handle the Possessed Pawn group. It's the game letting me hang out in that chamber with the game paused and the dragon at .01% life and still letting me get the kill that i'm worried about. worth a try at least...

don't suppose anyone has fought the Ur-Dragon this morning... have they? He was down to about 3 life bars left last night at 3:30...

Yeah, grace period requires to hit all targets at least once. And sorry but Gen 82 died early this morning :( so you can rest easy for a couple of days. I'll let you know about Gen 83 whenever I can, if I don't miss it myself as well. :lol

Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers? Sword or Daggers?

Also, is it worth carrying around the daggers and sword with the permament fire enchantment, considering the lower base damage they do?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'm still hoping that something awesome will happen when you get all 100 Badges of Vows.

Yeah, grace period requires to hit all targets at least once. And sorry but Gen 82 died early this morning :( so you can rest easy for a couple of days. I'll let you know about Gen 83 whenever I can, if I don't miss it myself as well. :lol

........ o.o..... FUCK.

Edit: what does "hit all targets" at least once? Like i have to climb all over his ass and tag all the weak points once to kill him? or are you talking about those pawns or whatever....

Those direwolves near the greatwall at night are annoying as fuck :mad:

Seriously. There's, like, a million of them.

This was my first encounter with them over there:

"Oh damn, it's dark."
*Looks at map*
"Phew, it's not that far to the Greatwall"
"TIS MORE BLOODTHIRSTY THAN A WOLF!"
*Fights endless direwolves until completely out of curatives*

I drank a Liquid Vim, abandoned the pawns, and sprinted to the Greatwall. That's also when I found out that your pawns will teleport to you when you get far enough away.

Opinions. I still don't have a problem with this. Why should all the quests be given up on a plate? I will say that to begin with it irritated me having quests get cancelled, it was only when I got over my own desire to MUST COMPLETE EVERY QUEST EVER that I began to see this design as something alright by me.

In my view, nowhere is the problem better represented than in the case of "The Duchess in Distress". This is the end of a questline that you've been following throughout every act of the game. It contains actual cinematics and character-defining moments with the character who will be, in all likelihood, your Arisen's love interest. The developments of this quest are so major, it's surprising that it's not a main quest.

This quest in only available between the Greatwall Expedition and the final trip to the Tainted Mountain. The Duke pulls you aside and tells you that the quest he's sending you on is very important, and should be undertaken with all haste. The only way to access Duchess in Distress is to ignore the Duke's directive and traipse about the castle grounds looking for quests. The NPC who gives the quest might not even be in position at the point in time where you're leaving the castle. What's to be done?

The most annoying thing is that the quest is still available to accept even after you return from the Greatwall, but the second you accept it it cancels itself because you missed the "deadline". If I missed the deadline, why was it still available to accept? If that's not broken quest mechanics, I don't know what is.

I don't need quests handed to me on a silver platter - I'd just appreciate a warning before they cancel themselves, or some sort of veiled suggestion about the quest's deadline from the quest-giver (i.e. "Go save Quina right away or she might not be alive to save later!"). The developer isn't doing anyone any favors by hiding their most well-crafted quests behind narrow timeframes that are probably bugged.

Eidan

I finally started getting the hang of this last night.

My main character and pawn are both lvl. 24, and I just maxed out their respective vocations (Stider and Mage). I was thinking of switching my Strider to a Fighter to perk up his defense and strength in preparation of becoming an Assassin. Good tactic?

I was also thinking of transitioning my Mage to a Sorcerer, but I don't like the idea of losing her healing spells. Is there any benefit to having her stay as a Sorcerer for a while before moving her back to a Mage?

Dresden

My main character and pawn are both lvl. 24, and I just maxed out their respective vocations (Stider and Mage). I was thinking of switching my Strider to a Fighter to perk up his defense and strength in preparation of becoming an Assassin. Good tactic?

I was also thinking of transitioning my Mage to a Sorcerer, but I don't like the idea of losing her healing spells. Is there any benefit to having her stay as a Sorcerer for a while before moving her back to a Mage?

Defense is somewhat pointless, increasingly so as you get higher in levels. Just head straight into Assassin for the max strength bonus.

Benefit of going sorceror is higher magic stat gain + augments. Keep her there for a while then transition back into mage if you wish.

Go with Assassin for strength and the awesome augments.

As for your Mage, go with Sorcerer and then just hire a Mage pawn with healing, buffs and debuffs. That's what I did.

Arla

Dunno if its my PS3 but anyone else get serious performance issues? It's like the PS3 can barely even run the damn thing. Frame rate drops to a crawl and menus/load times are terrible. I wanna enjoy the game more but it's hard as hell. It just crashed on me after 30 minutes of travel so I don't think I'll be picking it back up for a few days. It's frustrating as hell.

Anteater

Dunno if its my PS3 but anyone else get serious performance issues? It's like the PS3 can barely even run the damn thing. Frame rate drops to a crawl and menus/load times are terrible. I wanna enjoy the game more but it's hard as hell. It just crashed on me after 30 minutes of travel so I don't think I'll be picking it back up for a few days. It's frustrating as hell.

Framerate is pretty crap but mine doesn't get worse or crash, and my menus doesn't have any loading

is the game saving when you are noticing those performance issues. that's the only time i'm upset with the FR, other than Ur Dragon of course.

Top Bottom