• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Anteater

I always use sorcerers to make sure there are meteors raining from the sky for every fight, I just couldn't find good rangers or melee characters that does good damage, had a few sorcerers in my favorite that has Utilitarian and Scather as their inclinations which does their job good enough, but the ranger dudes are really random and I don't think AIs with range weapons are that good at all.

I thought Sorcerer and Mage pawns were the most widely rented pawns?

If you want you Sorcerer pawn to be used alot, don't have elemental boosts.

Don't do. Fire Boon. Ice Boon. Lightning Boon etc. etc. That is a Sorcerer 101 No.No.

Don't give them spells that enemies have to walk into for a status effect to take place. Those are only well controlled when you the player is the Sorcerer that can determine the correct situation, instead of the Sorcerer pawn jumping in the heat of battle to unleash a Blinding Radius Fog. Quickest way for them to die, especially to stronger enemies.

If you are going for an elemental Sorcerer try to cover the bases with high level spells for out right AOE for e.g

High/Brontide or High/Fulmination.
Frigor.
Comestion or High Comestion.

Miasma.
Malestrom or Seism or Holy Boon ( if you are dead set on this )
High Voidspell

If you really, really want to go with a boon, go with Holy Boon always, but usually I don't recommend it.

As for the inclinations. Leave them blank. No Guardian, No medicant none of that nonsense, no Scather, just leave the fields blank, and usually they will stay behind and cast spells based on their enemy knowledge to assist the situation on sight.

Anteater

The only thing holding me back is god damn Skyrim. I need to hurry and finish it I think. I hear great things about the combat in DD but I don't want to be playing two huge open world games at once.

It's a good combo, skyrim does a much better job with the open world design while DD is more focused on the combat, if only they would learn from each other...

The only thing DD can learn from Skyrim is the quest structure, where quests in DD basically are critically ended without the player having an inkling they even existed. Everything else is superior.

Zaptruder

Banned
The only thing DD can learn from Skyrim is the quest structure, where quests in DD basically are critically ended without the player having an inkling they even existed. Everything else is superior.

But even that... plays in its favour for multiple playthroughs.

It's nice going through a second time and discovering quests that I had no idea about the first time around.

maomaoIYP

Mage pawns by far are way more popular. I'm doing a double sorc only playthrough, fully capitalizing on spell synchrony, so besides ingle (for range) and comestion (for quick mobs), everything is a slow spell. Spell synchrony pretty much guarantees a successful cast.

Testing all of them for effectiveness as well, Gicel is by far the best spell for long range and aiming at a specific body part. Maelstrom is best for mobs, it sucks enemies in, then tosses them into the sky repeatedly, can be precast as well. Bolide isn't that hot due to the random meteors over a large area. Seism cannot be aimed and only affects the area around the caster. Fulmination is really a support spell, so screw that.

I need to try if liquid vim + exequy works on the ur-dragon but I'm not anywhere near the end....

Belenos

Banned
I've forged like 7-8 items and still haven't got te achievement :/

The item description has to say "A Forgery" for it to count, i.e. any of the idols, port crystals, wakestones, ferrystones. Many items are the same forged as they are regular that's why I guess they're not really forgeries, hence why they don't count.

Post game question.

If I go back to Dukes Demesne.
Kill all of the guards coming my way, and go to his treasure room, can I then use the ring on the chest?

The only thing holding me back is god damn Skyrim. I need to hurry and finish it I think. I hear great things about the combat in DD but I don't want to be playing two huge open world games at once.

Drop Skyrim for this. I'm serious.

Having played the hell out of both this is the better game. And it's not like you won't go back to Skyrim anyway eventually.

Just started leveling Mystic Knight for the hell of it since Warrior is maxed...Great Cannon is awesometastic. I really wish they hadn't gimped the living hell out of sword Assassins though, I wanted to play one but I don't care about daggers.

Belenos

Banned
Post game question.

If I go back to Dukes Demesne.
Kill all of the guards coming my way, and go to his treasure room, can I then use the ring on the chest?

I'd like to know this as well.
AFAIK the guards never stop coming, I think a lot of people use the Noble Quarter to farm Discipline Points for that reason.

yarden24

Don't do. Fire Boon. Ice Boon. Lightning Boon etc. etc. That is a Sorcerer 101 No.No.

Don't give them spells that enemies have to walk into for a status effect to take place. Those are only well controlled when you the player is the Sorcerer that can determine the correct situation, instead of the Sorcerer pawn jumping in the heat of battle to unleash a Blinding Radius Fog. Quickest way for them to die, especially to stronger enemies.

If you are going for an elemental Sorcerer try to cover the bases with high level spells for out right AOE for e.g

High/Brontide or High/Fulmination.
Frigor.
Comestion or High Comestion.

Miasma.
Malestrom or Seism or Holy Boon ( if you are dead set on this )
High Voidspell

If you really, really want to go with a boon, go with Holy Boon always, but usually I don't recommend it.

As for the inclinations. Leave them blank. No Guardian, No medicant none of that nonsense, no Scather, just leave the fields blank, and usually they will stay behind and cast spells based on their enemy knowledge to assist the situation on sight.

thanks for the advice, but I seem to be getting conflicting advice here....
though what you wrote is roughly what I have now, and nobody wants my Sorcerer =/

My mage has a healing spell and the one that cures effects. The rest I put into different elements and Fire Boon. He seems to get hired fairly often, I've thought of turning him into a girl to get more people to hire him haha

thanks for the advice, but I seem to be getting conflicting advice here....
though what you wrote is roughly what I have now, and nobody wants my Sorcerer =/

Lol, when all else fails. Just make your pawn a woman and dress in something skimpy. Sadly, most people don't even look at what really matters....

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Around 10 hours spent playing as Fighter/Assassin with Mage/Sorcerer pawn.

Replaying again from the beginning since I am frustrated by the fact that it's really hard to find a mage pawn with the kind of skillsets that I like and the fact that oft times my pawn cast the wrong kind of spells in the wrong kind of times.

I just want to control my own enchants/buffs/heals. Now I am playing as a Mage/Sorcerer and let my pawn doing Shield Drums all the time, hah.

Pretty satisfying so far. Planning to go shift to either Magic Archer or Mystic Knight down the road once I get all the skills I want from Mage/Sorcerer. Don't really care about min/maxing as long as I can sufficiently kick all sort of asses... which class is better between those two advanced vocations?

The only thing DD can learn from Skyrim is the quest structure, where quests in DD basically are critically ended without the player having an inkling they even existed.

You know, I'm ok with this. Something bothers me about Skyrim's "complete accessibility" mantra, which sees you become the archmage, lord of thieves, head of the fighters guild, brewers guild, bakers guild, tapestry weavers guild... it's somewhat ridiculous. The only meaningful choice (imperials or .. whatevers they were called) is a decision between two equally stupid groups.

It makes the quests in DD feel a bit more meaningful than just checkboxes on a laundry list, and it makes (the first playthrough anyway) a bit more personalised.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Did they confirm somewhere that they will release new areas and bosses? DLC for this game has been pretty underwhelming so far.

Fuckin hell, I've been in the Chamber of Absence for the last 49min trying to get Dragon's Pain to pop up in this chest, all I keep getting is either Panacea or a damn shard. FUUUUUCK

Fuckin hell, I've been in the Chamber of Absence for the last 49min trying to get Dragon's Pain to pop up in this chest, all I keep getting is either Panacea or a damn shard. FUUUUUCK

It's finicky... sometimes I get what I want in 5min, other times in an hour or more.

I spent 90min trying to get the Ancient Cape before quitting, and when I went back the next day... got it on my first try. :l

Isn't it easier to just farm wakestones, sell them, and buy the gear you want from the Everfall vendors instead of farming chests?

Edit: I mean for the ones that can be bought, of course, as mentioned above

Schwabe

It's finicky... sometimes I get what I want in 5min, other times in an hour or more.

I spent 90min trying to get the Ancient Cape before quitting, and when I went back the next day... got it on my first try. :l

haha, capcom games are good at these punishments. i still need a rathalos plate in the 2005 monster hunter (ps2). i think because i already crafted all the other parts of the armor, the game doesn't give me the item^^

maybe DD is also like this. no i don't believe it, but it should be that way. i'd rather kill some dragon than killing myself a thousand times in front of a chest O,o

A break down of my attempt so far.

Stalwart Bow (5% drop rate) - Dropped 3 times
Martyr's Tailsman (4% Drop rate) dropped 5 times
Dragon's Pain (2% Drop rate) Dropped 0 times
Crimson Sabatons (2% Drop rate) Dropped 3 times (in the last 6 attempts...fuckin lol)
Lordly Cloak (2% Drop rate) Dropped 2 times
Shadow Gauntlet (2% Drop rate) Dropped 3 times

You can buy those from the merchant at Remorse...

I don't have the coin

Top Bottom