• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Arla

Framerate is pretty crap but mine doesn't get worse or crash, and my menus doesn't have any loading

Well a loading screen doesn't pop up. It just takes forever for them to show up and switching or exiting the menus also takes too long. It's not every time but it's frequent.

Dunno if its my PS3 but anyone else get serious performance issues? It's like the PS3 can barely even run the damn thing. Frame rate drops to a crawl and menus/load times are terrible. I wanna enjoy the game more but it's hard as hell. It just crashed on me after 30 minutes of travel so I don't think I'll be picking it back up for a few days. It's frustrating as hell.

It gets pretty bad when fighting the Ur-Dragon. Also when the game is saving.

Arla

is the game saving when you are noticing those performance issues. that's the only time i'm upset with the FR, other than Ur Dragon of course.

Probably? I never really noticed if it was saving or not but there has been times when I'm out on the field or in dungeons and there's definitely no saving going on when I'm just accessing menus when they lag.

Probably? I never really noticed if it was saving or not but there has been times when I'm out on the field or in dungeons and there's definitely no saving going on when I'm just accessing menus when they lag.

right side of the screen is the saving message. it's possible to save anywhere, especially after quest completion.

i'd be happy if they let us turn off auto save in the next game. they might have to rework their quest structure to do that.

Maya is looking for some work around Gransys, anything will make her happy. You want to slay a Dragon, she's up for it! You want to kick some Goblin's ass, why not, she likes to kick ass.

Maya is a 178 level Strider that has a lot of experience in battle but not so much luck with work. Well, maybe because she's not half naked or maybe because her level is rather high, I have no idea why but there must be a reason for it.

She spends more of her time in Everfall, fighting Wyrm and let me tell you she can beat the crap out of it by herself lol. Anyway, Maya and I are on a secret quest to obtain and Dragonforge every piece of equipment in the game, therefore I don't have much time to promote her. I even feel pretty stupid doing this for the first time, but I guess it won't kill me.

Here is some info about Maya that might come in handy if someone wishes to hire her. If her level makes her to expensive for you guys just send me a friend request and you can have her for free.

Info:
Name: Maya
Level: 178
HP: 4870
ST: 2690
Vacation: Strider (used to be a Fighter, so she still learns how to be a Strider)

Skills:
Hundred Kisses
Cutting Wind
Implicate

Pentad Shot
Fivefold Flurry
Downpour Volley

Inclination:
Primary: Scather
Secondary: Challenger

Weapons:
Heaven's Key
Fey Whisper

If anyone have a spare place in the party please give her a chance and I'm sure she won't let you down.

Of course people that will give her a job will also be rewarded for the trouble. When you done with her just send her back and message me the item you would like to get for the work and I'll get it for you or give it right away if I have it in my stock.

My Gamertag: H3rtZ DoNuT

Thanks in advance guys, all the work she can get will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, HD

Anteater

Well a loading screen doesn't pop up. It just takes forever for them to show up and switching or exiting the menus also takes too long. It's not every time but it's frequent.

Weird, not sure if I'm noticing the menu thing, framerate does get choppy at the weirdest time, I remember it felt choppy when I'm running outside of the waycastle north of gran soren for no reason.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Dunno if its my PS3 but anyone else get serious performance issues? It's like the PS3 can barely even run the damn thing. Frame rate drops to a crawl and menus/load times are terrible. I wanna enjoy the game more but it's hard as hell. It just crashed on me after 30 minutes of travel so I don't think I'll be picking it back up for a few days. It's frustrating as hell.
Is your hard drive full? The game installs itself as you play. The performance was pretty rough for me at the beginning but it got better the more I played.

Belenos

Banned
End game question:
So the 2nd time you fight the Seneschal he's replaced by another player's Arisen and Pawn? That's pretty cool, reminds me of Old Monk.
What happens if the 2nd time you fight him offline? You fight Savan again?

Anteater

End game question:
So the 2nd time you fight the Seneschal he's replaced by another player's Arisen and Pawn? That's pretty cool, reminds me of Old Monk.

I heard
you just fight your own character you made in your previous game

Random screenshots for the day!

dragonsdogmascreenshohabel.jpg

dragonsdogmascreenshoj8bls.jpg

dragonsdogmascreenshoym57o.jpg

Abylim

End game question:

On NG++
I fought myself, was kinda eerie killing me!

Fuck my pawns are dumb as fuck when it comes to fighting the Ur Dragon.

Hey he's perched high as fuck on a tower we totally can't reach! I know...let's run under said tower so he can shoot down his purple bombs of doom!

Oh master is telling us to come back

But master is shooting arrows at it...run back to the tower!

But master is telling us to come back

Lets cast spells RIGHT UNDER THE DRAGON! That's safe

There needs to be a "cast by me" button.

Speaking of this, anyone knows a good way of getting him down from the tower? The only vocation I've tried that's actually managed to do it is the magic archer.

same here. i tried with trajectory on both ranger and assassin. either it doesn't do enough damage, or the arrows don't reach him.

Schwabe

Fuck my pawns are dumb as fuck when it comes to fighting the Ur Dragon.

Hey he's perched high as fuck on a tower we totally can't reach! I know...let's run under said tower so he can shoot down his purple bombs of doom!

Oh master is telling us to come back

But master is telling us to come back

Lets cast spells RIGHT UNDER THE DRAGON! That's safe

There needs to be a "cast by me" button.

and that happens at the final battle, if the sorcerer is too slow casting his spells O,o but a nice maelstrom up there ...

dragonsdogmascreensho09qok.jpg

at least at chamber of lament the tower is too far away for sorcerers xD

btw. i always stand directly under the Ur-Dragon, when he flies up there. There is some cover and i can spam my arrows. if i have pawns with me, they just go to the right and i let them die ... helping, when the dragon comes back down is enough love for pawns.

Cheska

I only just started the game and am leaving the camp after
cutting off the first Hydra head
. The game is no joke and definitely takes some patience and strategizing but there is something incredibly addicting about it so far. Any tips on where I should buy some armor? I'm tired of looking at these rags..

. The game is no joke and definitely takes some patience and strategizing but there is something incredibly addicting about it so far. Any tips on where I should buy some armor? I'm tired of looking at these rags..

Did you meet Reynard before leaving the Encampment? He sells some armor and weapons and recommended before you venture out to Gran Soren.

Dresden

Get to Gran Soren; you get the convoy quest to get there by talking to Mercedes after the hydra.

Well I have offline Ur-Dragon down to half on his last bar before he flew away.

Now my only issue is....I can't find anymore spots on him that I can hit, took out his wings, neck, heart, limbs, tail, back.

What.else.is.there!?

Bleh the head. This fight is no longer fun and at this point is frustrating as fuck. How in the hell am I suppose to damage his head when he keeps moving it then flying away after only fighting for 2 fucking minutes?! I mean COME ON!

Abylim

He has multiple on his tail. the bottom of his feet, under his head, etc. If you're an archer type, just pentad/endecad shot him a few times and see what bursts :lol

Damn, Magick Archer completely wrecks the offline Ur-Dragon (Bloodlust and Autonomy don't hurt either :p).

He could barely even get out of being stunned before he was down again. Managed to kill him in 10min or less, twice.

Darkkn

Just started playing this and i'm very intrigued by it. Especially the combat and atmosphere are great.

The game is however very hard to the eyes for some reason. Maybe it's the combination of low FOV, blurriness of everything, huge UI and fast paced combat. My eyes get strayed after playing a hour or so. It's also very annoying that mages don't heal people to max hp between the battles and the saving frequency is brutal. Oh, and the interface is awful.

Despite all the jank, i'm really intrigued by this game and will definitely take a deeper dive in.

Anyone on PS3 side gotta high level ranger that I can borrow for a while as I level Mystic Knight? I apparently found Dragon's Presence along with a bunch of decent armor in my storage and I have 43k DP so I want to try out said class.

Just started playing this and i'm very intrigued by it. Especially the combat and atmosphere are great.

The game is however very hard to the eyes for some reason. Maybe it's the combination of low FOV, blurriness of everything, huge UI and fast paced combat. My eyes get strayed after playing a hour or so. It's also very annoying that mages don't heal people to max hp between the battles and the saving frequency is brutal. Oh, and the interface is awful.

Despite all the jank, i'm really intrigued by this game and will definitely take a deeper dive in.

1. Go into the options and turn off any HUD stuff you don't want.

2. You can save pretty much anytime, anywhere: pause, then press select to save. If you die, "Restart from Checkpoint" will usually start you from the last time you slept at an Inn, "Retry" loads your last manual save (pause > select).

Mephala

It took a little while to get used to for me as well. When I first played I actually felt a little dizzy from the random screen tearing whenever I started sprinting (playing on 360). Switching it to 720 rather than 1080 was an improvement but not really a solution. I got used to it and managed to enjoy the game nevertheless though.

You can use the D-Pad (forget which command, I think its right?) to tell your mage pawns to heal/buff you when outside combat. They'll usually heal before buffing so you might have to ask twice if you want to be buffed. If you press right on the D-Pad during combat they'll use consumables in their inventory to heal.

As for the interface, I can only recommend turning off the button display and maybe pawn speeches from the options menu. Its still pretty horrible. :(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, GAF, anyone ever tried to "specialize"? That is, playing the whole game + post game with one class and one class only without doing vocation change. It seems like an interesting/challenging thing to do. Doable?

Also, I am currently on my 1st walkthrough with a level 18 Mage plus a female level 18 Fighter. I am cultivating magic power for my character though I am still wildly indecisive on which of these vocations as my "end class" (that is, not gonna change into anything else anymore): Mystic Knight or Magic Archer. Care to give me opinions on which class are generally considered more superior between those two?

Zaptruder

Banned
So, GAF, anyone ever tried to "specialize"? That is, playing the whole game + post game with one class and one class only without doing vocation change. It seems like an interesting/challenging thing to do. Doable?

Also, I am currently on my 1st walkthrough with a level 18 Mage plus a female level 18 Fighter. I am cultivating magic power for my character though I am still wildly indecisive on which of these vocations as my "end class" (that is, not gonna change into anything else anymore): Mystic Knight or Magic Archer. Care to give me opinions on which class are generally considered more superior between those two?

There's no real incentive to stick with a single class... once you max the vocation... you kinda just... get more stats and slightly better equipment.

You're welcome to try and tell us about your experiences of course, but it doesn't seem like a wise idea for a first playthrough or two.

Fighter and Strider is definitely doable from start to post-game. Not sure about Mage, though.

MK vs MA depends on the playstyle you want, really.

MK - swords and shields, countering, casting affinities using Magick sigils
MA - daggers and magick bows, lock-on arrows

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
There's no real incentive to stick with a single class... once you max the vocation... you kinda just... get more stats and slightly better equipment.

You're welcome to try and tell us about your experiences of course, but it doesn't seem like a wise idea for a first playthrough or two.

Just one of those "I'm done with this game and looking for a new challenge" things. I'm not gonna do it at least until I finish the game and becoming much more intimate with its ins or outs.

Although I did consider doing it, since I really need "consistency" in my playthrough. For example, changing from a magic-based character to a more physical one will make me uncomfortable... I guess that will make me miss Bloodlust since I am playing a Magic-oriented character now even when all people and their mothers seem to swear by it, hahaha.

Fighter and Strider is definitely doable from start to post-game. Not sure about Mage, though.

MK vs MA depends on the playstyle you want, really.

MK - swords and shields, countering, casting affinities using Magick sigils
MA - daggers and magick bows, lock-on arrows

Which one is more suitable to solo play? Or at least 2 characters play? (me and my main pawn only)

And while I am at it, why not ask this as well: what is the best inclination for tanking pawn? If I change the main inclination using the Encampment's Elixirs, the game will not going to change it arbitrarily unlike the secondary inclination, correct? Or does the main inclination still subject to changes as well...?

Which one is more suitable to solo play? Or at least 2 characters play? (me and my main pawn only)

And while I am at it, why not ask this as well: what is the best inclination for tanking pawn? If I change the main inclination using the Encampment's Elixirs, the game will not going to change it arbitrarily unlike the secondary inclination, correct? Or does the main inclination still subject to changes as well...?

MK definitely. Great Cannon will wreck.

Best inclinations for a tanking pawn: Scather and Challenger. Your pawn's inclinations may change if you call for support a lot.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
MK definitely. Great Cannon will wreck.

Best inclinations for a tanking pawn: Scather and Challenger. Your pawn's inclinations may change if you call for support a lot.

Even the main inclination? I am under the impression that the one that the game can changed on its own is the secondary inclination, not the main one...? Hmmmm.

Scather and Challenger, eh? Hmm. I am currently using Scather and Utilitarian since I *think* by going Utilitarian my female fighter will use shield drum more often, calling the heat off me.

Also I read scather pawns tend to climb big monsters, so I am not sure whether this is good or not since that means she will climb the big boys instead of drawing aggro for me with her shield skills, hmmmm.

Mystic Knight eh? That big ass shield sure looks awesome, hahaha. Alright, I guess I'll pick Mystic Knight once I am done learning all the core skills I want from Mage/Sorcerer.

CTE

Even the main inclination? I am under the impression that the one that the game can changed on its own is the secondary inclination, not the main one...? Hmmmm.

Scather and Challenger, eh? Hmm. I am currently using Scather and Utilitarian since I *think* by going Utilitarian my female fighter will use shield drum more often, calling the heat off me.

Also I read scather pawns tend to climb big monsters, so I am not sure whether this is good or not since that means she will climb the big boys instead of drawing aggro for me with her shield skills, hmmmm.

Mystic Knight eh? That big ass shield sure looks awesome, hahaha. Alright, I guess I'll pick Mystic Knight once I am done learning all the core skills I want from Mage/Sorcerer.

If you use "come" command enough, they turn to Medicant.

Edit - Or Guardian. I've seen that, too. Depends on the pawn's vocation, maybe.

If you use "come" command enough, they turn to Medicant.

Edit - Or Guardian. I've seen that, too. Depends on the pawn's vocation, maybe.

Oh my god! I usually tell them to come so they don't fucking die doing dumb shit.

Suddenly many things my pawns have been doing make sense.

CTE

Oh my god! I usually tell them to come so they don't fucking die doing dumb shit.

Suddenly many things my pawns have been doing make sense.

Yeah. Kept turning my Sorc. pawn from Scather to Medicant. I use "Go" more now and it seems to make them aggressive rather than protective.

I wonder if there is a chart out there yet detailing commands and their effects. Seems like it would take a good chunk of time and experimenting, though.

Schwabe

Anyone on PS3 side gotta high level ranger that I can borrow for a while as I level Mystic Knight? I apparently found Dragon's Presence along with a bunch of decent armor in my storage and I have 43k DP so I want to try out said class.

My Pawn is a Ranger, currently Level 149 iirc. PSN ID: Tenjin. Hire her, if you like :)

Top Bottom