• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

mrklaw

MrArseFace
little bit late to this party, but this game sounds Dark Souls-y. Is that a fair comparison? If I loved Demons/Dark Souls but don't generally like RPGs (never played skyrim though), is this something I should get?

little bit late to this party, but this game sounds Dark Souls-y. Is that a fair comparison? If I loved Demons/Dark Souls but don't generally like RPGs (never played skyrim though), is this something I should get?

It might be blasphemy here but I like DD MUCH better than Dark Souls. I am at the age where "unforgiving" games are just bullshit time wasters. I want to be able to pause my game, I want to be able to save anywhere, I want to be able to play my game and not be scared I will lose HOURS of progress because I screwed up.

DD has sucked me in WAY harder than I thought it would. The exploration is fantastic, the fighting system is really REALLY good (I actually get bored in towns and go out of my way to fight) and it seems to be shockingly well designed.

It might sound weird but it feels (to me) how a proper D&D game should play on a console.

maomaoIYP

Just managed to beat the gorechimera, chimera, wight, hellhound fight with my double sorcs. I take back what I said about the affinity spells, they are by far the best and most useful spells for the player playing as a sorc. On the pawns they still suck, but on the player, nothing else is better when combined with focused bolt. Each element has different properties as well, for example lightning ricochets like the magic archer's ricochet shot, and holy is homing, piercing, and heals the player.

Just managed to beat the gorechimera, chimera, wight, hellhound fight with my double sorcs. I take back what I said about the affinity spells, they are by far the best and most useful spells for the player playing as a sorc. On the pawns they still suck, but on the player, nothing else is better when combined with focused bolt. Each element has different properties as well, for example lightning ricochets like the magic archer's ricochet shot, and holy is homing, piercing, and heals the player.

Question about that. Am I stupid or is there no way to cast the affinity spells on yourself?

Anteater

It's not anything like the souls series, and it's quite light on the rpg/stats elements, it's not too unforgiving, so it's more of an action game with magic and stuff, you'll probably enjoy it if you like their other capcom action/adventure games in the past

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'd love to see perhaps a "sword master" skill in the sequel that lets me use an augment slot to forgo a bow/shield in exchange for 2 sets of sword skills. I could chain the most beautiful dance of death together... even better if they get down and dirty and incorporate dual wielding into the next game. That's the only thing that I desired really for my assassin ... something truly unique in it's weapons loadout/layout that would set it apart from the other classes. Ascalon + carnation flailing around and gougeing fucking dragons to death would make me squee....

fought a cyclops last night on the trail out west and just... gosh.. almost felt sorry for him. :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There's something really magical about this game. I finally got back into it after a long binge on Diablo III, and I'm just loving it.

In the last couple of days I finished up the Wyrm Hunt (did all of the quests, but "failed" the Shadow Fort one) and then did the Griffin Hunt. I thought the Griffin Hunt was going to be a quick quest, but it ended up taking something like two hours with the Blue Moon Tower part. Holy shit was that epic!

Between the bandits on the way and the Griffin chase to the top of the tower, I ended up losing all of my pawns somehow, so I had to face the Griffin alone along with the minimal help of the soldier NPCs. I had forged the grimoire earlier in the game, so Steffen didn't help at all, either. Luckily I was playing a Sorcerer at the time and managed to take the Griffin down with fireballs after a ton of time.

After thoroughly looting the place, I started to make my way back to Gran Soren under nightfall, and damn if that wasn't stressful. Being harried by wolves and spirits the entire way and having to use up damn near all of my curatives.

Crazy stuff, but it's scenarios like this that really make the game memorable. So far, I've really been impressed by most of the main-story quests. It gives me that feeling of going to new places and trying new things in oldschool MMORPGs like EverQuest, and it's just awesome.

demigod

Crazy stuff, but it's scenarios like this that really make the game memorable. So far, I've really been impressed by most of the main-story quests. It gives me that feeling of going to new places and trying new things in oldschool MMORPGs like EverQuest, and it's just awesome.

Would be badass if EverQuest Next incorporates something like in DD. Hit the boss' legs/limbs and get that part for quest item.

Anteater

Everfall mobs respawns huh, learned this the hard way

killed a drake and move to next room to see what's there, went back to the first room and had to fight 2 wights, 2 chimera and a bunch of dogs :lol

didn't have time to buff the entire fight, feels bad

edit: i guess it's only for the boss room

edit2: nvm guess it's just how that floor is designed, 2 group of enemies for when you backtrack

MK is just so versatile and god damn fun, I usually use the canon for range to get rid of the annoying mobs I don't want to fight, and use my shield skills for the other stuff, I bring along 2 elemental swords around so I don't have to waste 2 slots for the general fire and ice enchantments, and use the slots for holy, demonswrath and whatever shield counter/buff I feel like using.

It has the best shield skills too, watching your demonswrath shield charge up when you blocked multiple hits from a boss/range enemies, or watching everything gets devastated by your elemental counter, you feel like a god damn badass, the game makes it so easy to block too, in a tight situation? Just jump away and turn and press block while in the air! Goblin tossing a skull at you? Block that shit and shoot a fucking giant fireball back at him.

MK is the best class that was ever created for an rpg, that's right.

That sound effect whenever you do a perfect block is SO GOOD

so what youre saying is that i should pick Mystic Knight when i buy this game next week?

anything else i need to know?

Oh Capcom... today's DD DLC is a 1.99 pack of 6 new voices and 6 new skin color variations. I didn't have a problem with the extra armor and weapons they were selling, but voices? We could've really used those in the base game - damn near every female uses voice type 6. Lol

Anteater

Well just got all my wakestones, probably should finish the game tomorrow, or slaughter a few more mobs before starting a new character. Magic archer next!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After playing a Strider to vocation level 10, a Magic Archer to vocation level 3, and a Sorcerer to vocation level 7, I've decided to switch to Magic Knight after getting an awesome weapon last night in Blue Moon Tower.

Can someone tell me why they are considered to be so awesome and what some common strategies are? Are there any skills I should go for right away?

Styles

This, you're seriously godlike with those two. Cast Ruinous, everyone stands inside casting their spells, shooting their arrows. You spam the fuck out of great cannon....lol what's a mob of 6 hellhounds?

If you have more than 2 ruinous sigils casted at the same time, be prepared for <10fps gameplay, lol.

After playing a Strider to vocation level 10, a Magic Archer to vocation level 3, and a Sorcerer to vocation level 7, I've decided to switch to Magic Knight after getting an awesome weapon last night in Blue Moon Tower.

Can someone tell me why they are considered to be so awesome and what some common strategies are? Are there any skills I should go for right away?

- Ruinous Sigil and Great Cannon
- Elemental Riposte
- Can give Affinities to everyone
- They can equip cool armor and shields

wanders

I'd love to see perhaps a "sword master" skill in the sequel that lets me use an augment slot to forgo a bow/shield in exchange for 2 sets of sword skills. I could chain the most beautiful dance of death together... even better if they get down and dirty and incorporate dual wielding into the next game. That's the only thing that I desired really for my assassin ... something truly unique in it's weapons loadout/layout that would set it apart from the other classes. Ascalon + carnation flailing around and gougeing fucking dragons to death would make me squee....

fought a cyclops last night on the trail out west and just... gosh.. almost felt sorry for him. :D

That and adding equipment/weapon swaps on the fly. So much COMBO!

Anteater

This, you're seriously godlike with those two. Cast Ruinous, everyone stands inside casting their spells, shooting their arrows. You spam the fuck out of great cannon....lol what's a mob of 6 hellhounds?

That's no fun though, the shield skills, countering and mini royal guard mechanics are a lot more fun than spamming great cannon.

Ruinous sigil + great cannon is like a magic gatling gun, the bolts it shoots are based on the elemental enchantments on your weapons, you have magic shield counter which allows you to return with a spell without casting, which is quite useful for range enemies (perfect block arrows and you could shoot fireballs at rangers instantly), demonspite/demonswrath allows you to convert damage into magic bolt by perfect blocking/blocking, once it's charged up, you could return the damage back by activating it again, early on it could do decent damage but gets overshadowed because your character becomes unnecessary powerful and a few hits is all it takes to kill everything, but it's one of the most fun mechanics of the game.

Anteater

So the general consensus is that Assassin and Mystic Knight are the best vocations?

I've heard magic archers are great too, but I haven't played it myself, you can't go wrong with the 2 because one has the best shield/sword skills and overpowered magic and assassin has crazy augments that could boost your base stats really high along with counter and the ability to Dire Gouge everything in the face, and you could swap between dagger/sword/shield/bow which pretty much give you a lot of abilities to use.

They are masterworks all.

MechaX

Between this and Skyrim, I decided to go ahead and pick this game up tomorrow.

I have heard that the 360 version runs slightly better, but the PS3 version has a larger community which can make one optional boss easier. Since I have heard that the Pawn system still works with XBL Silver, which version would be the best to pick up?

Anteater

I have heard that the 360 version runs slightly better, but the PS3 version has a larger community which can make one optional boss easier. Since I have heard that the Pawn system still works with XBL Silver, which version would be the best to pick up?

360 if you don't mind the tearing, ps3 has terrible framerate but it doesn't tear, you don't really need high level pawns all that much (unless they releases something harder in the future).

edit: man I have like 700 photos taken from the game on my hdd, and that's after I deleted half of them accidentally :lol

I think I'm going to go on a photo taking run around gransys

Belenos

Banned
Both classes probably the most versatile due to the vast number of choices they can have, but the best vocation would simply be the one that you enjoy the most.

I've heard magic archers are great too, but I haven't played it myself, you can't go wrong with the 2 because one has the best shield/sword skills and overpowered magic and assassin has crazy augments that could boost your base stats really high along with counter and the ability to Dire Gouge everything in the face, and you could swap between dagger/sword/shield/bow which pretty much give you a lot of abilities to use.

They are masterworks all.

So I can't go wrong?

http://youtu.be/bqzGOm9wmn0

Thanks, I ask because I have yet to use Assassin, Magick Archer and Ranger, but definitely have enjoyed all vocations so far (Mystic Knight and Warrior the most).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Skyrim is worth playing to explore the world, but you made the right choice for sure with Dragon's Dogma. Welcome aboard!

Ruinous sigil + great cannon is like a magic gatling gun, the bolts it shoots are based on the elemental enchantments on your weapons, you have magic shield counter which allows you to return with a spell without casting, which is quite useful for range enemies (perfect block arrows and you could shoot fireballs at rangers instantly), demonspite/demonswrath allows you to convert damage into magic bolt by perfect blocking/blocking, once it's charged up, you could return the damage back by activating it again, early on it could do decent damage but gets overshadowed because your character becomes unnecessary powerful and a few hits is all it takes to kill everything, but it's one of the most fun mechanics of the game.

Holy shit, this sounds insane! I'm off to play now.

A question..
i have a golden idol & a silver idol , 2 people asked me for at least one , yet i wish to keep one for myself
Who should get what ? I plan to forge the gold idol , keep the forgery for myself..give the gold idol to the weapon merchant and give the silver idol to Elisabeth ? Is it the right choice ?

Zaptruder

Banned
Fighter is only good for the extra 10kg weight capacity augment, but that's it. Boring, by-the-books "Fighter" class.

To the games credit, even the fighter class is fun as hell to play relative to other games. Only after you play other classes do you realise that the fighter is actually the most boring class to play.

Dresden

A question..
i have a golden idol & a silver idol , 2 people asked me forat least on , yet i wish to keep on for myself
Who should get what ? I plan to forge the gold idol , keep the forgery for myself..give the gold idol to the weapon merchant and give the silver idol to Elisabeth ? Is it the right choice ?

ya.

i thought fighter class had fun looking skills. if i wasn't so attached to a bow, i would have played it more. i'd choose it over mystic knight. somehow knights with holy magic are never fun for me, it just seems lame.

my pawn was a fighter most of her time, that's another reason.

maomaoIYP

Fighter is only good for the extra 10kg weight capacity augment, but that's it. Boring, by-the-books "Fighter" class.

That augment isn't even very good. The strider augment to have your weight class one level better is much more useful. I like the fighter's augment to have easier perfect blocks, it's superb on a mystic knight.

Other than that fighter pawns are good to draw aggro for sorc/mage players.

A question..
i have a golden idol & a silver idol , 2 people asked me forat least on , yet i wish to keep on for myself

Give the Golden Idol to Caxton. The other Idol to anyone else of your choosing.

That augment isn't even very good. The strider augment to have your weight class one level better is much more useful. I like the fighter's augment to have easier perfect blocks, it's superb on a mystic knight.

Other than that fighter pawns are good to draw aggro for sorc/mage players.

i used both sinew and strider weight reduction for my main at all times. i was running around with "very light" weight class at full speed and superior stamina regen. i was fed up with the weight restrictions, which forced me to open menus and trade stuff around constantly. it's hard to play the game without those skills now.

Belenos

Banned
so what are the more fun classes to play as? what's a good first time class (assuming i will only play through with one character)

It's quite easy to change vocations, so you should do it often and experiment with all of them (assuming you will only play through with one character).

E.g. Warrior is the most fun for me but not for everyone else, so you should try them all yourself.

Anteater

so what are the more fun classes to play as? what's a good first time class (assuming i will only play through with one character)

You could switch jobs whenever you want at the inn, and you will probably want to switch at some point because you will eventually reach the highest rank for the class you're playing, so try the ones you find appealing!

I haven't played the archer classes other than strider, but I find Mystic knight to be the most fun for a shield and sword character, assassin has quite a few unique skills of their own, basic classes are probably the least fun classes in comparison but good enough as starter classes (they also have good augments).

somehow knights with holy magic are never fun for me, it just seems lame.

M. Knight has dark magic too man, just wear dark clothing!

maomaoIYP

i used both sinew and strider weight reduction for my main at all times. i was running around with "very light" weight class at full speed and superior stamina regen. i was fed up with the weight restrictions, which forced me to open menus and trade stuff around constantly. it's hard to play the game without those skills now.

You can get around most of the weight problems if you don't mind have a giant muscled arisen. The amount of extra weight you can carry is actually very substantial. I had one character like this, and the extra 10 kg from sinew wasn't enough a boost for it to take up an augment slot.

Fighter is probably the easiest starting class. Swap vocations as you like, all of them are fun.

You can get around most of the weight problems if you don't mind have a giant muscled arisen. The amount of extra weight you can carry is actually very substantial. I had one character like this, and the extra 10 kg from sinew wasn't enough a boost for it to take up an augment slot.

my guy was medium sized and modeled after myself, heh. it's not an option currently. isn't the stamina regen slower for giant sized characters? or running speed or both?

Anteater

Speaking of augments, man I wish they'd let you restart your level at 1 with all the skills unlocked (including pawn knowledge), I'd rather not play through the whole 9 ranks of strider for that single augments and 5 ranks for sinew on Fighter, would like to stick to another class but I want the higher carrying weight.

Schwabe

Speaking of augments, man I wish they'd let you restart your level at 1 with all the skills unlocked (including pawn knowledge), I'd rather not play through the whole 9 ranks of strider for that single augments and 5 ranks for sinew on Fighter, would like to stick to another class but I want the higher carrying weight.

if you backup and delete your save and play with the same account from scratch, your pawn eventually returns from another arisen with all previously gained knowledge... someone mentioned this in this thread.

Dresden

i wish you could lock levels but still rank up vocations; going through as level 1 would keep things from becoming a cakewalk.

Top Bottom