• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah but it doesn't really show you what the game has to offer in terms of the open world. It does however give you a taste of the combat mechanics in the game, which are pretty excellent and the reason why I think this is the best open world RPG out there.

You can also customize your character and pawn in the demo and it'll carry over to the main game.

This is what I'm mostly interested in, so if that's what the demo does, it will either sell me or not. Thanks!

Luigi87

I edge ever closer to getting Platinum, however I need to do NG++ now, because I skipped Guard Duty at the beginning of the game, not realizing that would lock me out of Bad Business. >_<

Styles

Fought this guy until dawn broke, pictures does not give justice as to how amazing this fight was in motion.

ib1iEyTFECw5tx.jpg

iGKSWDeuWDgFW.jpg

And two more noteworthy pics! Mystic Knight is so OP.

Anteater

Fought this guy until dawn broke, pictures does not give justice as to how amazing this fight was in motion.

ha, I fought him at the same time, was occupied by the ogres at night, was really cool

I got killed once by this dude because I left the palm crystal for last, then I know I got trolled when it was swinging his arms in berserk.

Styles

ha, I fought him at the same time, was occupied by the ogres at night, was really cool

I got killed once by this dude because I left the palm crystal for last, then I know I got trolled when it was swinging his arms in berserk.

LOL, the ogres were quite annoying, not because they were hard but because the goblins atop the hills were launching fireballs at me during the fight.

Is the strategy guide for this any good? I would like something I can keep next to me to look at for maps, enemy and item info and such. Is it worth picking up?

I edge ever closer to getting Platinum, however I need to do NG++ now, because I skipped Guard Duty at the beginning of the game, not realizing that would lock me out of Bad Business. >_<

The exact thing happened to me so I had to start NG++ and rush through everything. Took only like an hour though.

Good to hear.
The port crystal network one can set up in NG+ really does make things move god awfully quick.

Bluemoon Tower
Shadowfort
Greatwall
Cassardis
Waycastle
Witchwood

Is where I put my Portcrystals in NG++. Good for speed runs too. I think when I did this, I completed the main quest in like 2 and a half hours. It's also a good way to get the exclusive class-specific weapons from the Red Dragon.

LOL, the ogres were quite annoying, not because they were hard but because the goblins atop the hills were launching fireballs at me during the fight.

I totally just went through that area too. I'm on NG+ and trying to fill in my map for areas I never went in my first playthrough. There's apparently two "dungeons" I never entered at all, judging from trophies (the canyon and the manse?). I know where both are, but can't enter the manse yet (story state restricted, probably, haven't started wyrm hunt yet). Haven't tried the canyon...

Okay, this a common bug? I have the save files still, but for some reason, the game isn't reading them. The game is acting if I am starting a new game. The hell?

Fuck, I have to start over? Fuck that shit. First bug in a decade that has pissed me off.

froliq

Okay, this a common bug? I have the save files still, but for some reason, the game isn't reading them. The game is acting if I am starting a new game. The hell?

Fuck, I have to start over? Fuck that shit. First bug in a decade that has pissed me off.

Probably save file corrupted. I had it and it does warn you, but if you just press A or X and didn't read the messages it goes on and start a new game

You didn't by chance turn off your console while the game was auto-saving, did you?

w00t, Mystic Knight vocation almost maxed. Decided to hunt some Drake/Wyvrm with a Mystic Knight / Warrior / Sorcerer so much fun. I will say it seems my pawn is a better warrior than me, she swings that big ass sword like it's nothing.

maomaoIYP

Is the strategy guide for this any good? I would like something I can keep next to me to look at for maps, enemy and item info and such. Is it worth picking up?

The structure of the guidebook isn't very good (it's arranged by location), and it completely drops the ball on certain things. For example there's no information on the contents of chests in most of the open areas, some of which have very good drops. There's also no information on drops from certain harvestable points, some of which also have good drops.

The information on bestiary, items, the post game dungeon chests (the maps are still kind of shit), merchants and certain in game mechanics not taught anywhere else in the game are good though.

How to access the demo on Xbox 360:

Resident Evil 6 demo will become available to download by running the Dragon's Dogma disc on Xbox 360 with your Xbox LIVE account signed in after July 3, 2012.

1. Connect your Xbox 360 to broadband internet access. You will need an Xbox LIVE Free Silver or Paid Gold membership to redeem token.

2. Press the Xbox Guide button on your controller.

3. Sign in to Xbox LIVE.

4. Select "Marketplace".

5. Select "Redeem Code" and enter the 25-digit code.

6. With the confirmation screen displayed, select "Yes" and review the content for using the Download.

A new option will be added to the Dragon's Dogma main menu, allowing you to download the Resident Evil 6 demo once Xbox LIVE updates on July 3, 2012 in the AM.

Redeemable period: July 3, 2012 - March 31, 2013.

demigod

Here we go again! Going to install this.

Why get the 360 version now? Btw how bad is the lag on 360 Ur-Dragon? It's fucking unbearable on PS3, like at times its 5fps. Shit is 10 times worse than Blight Town.

I've quit the game a few times while it was saving, luckily it hasn't corrupted yet. Got PS+? Better start cloud saving! With a game that autosaves everytime you sleep at an inn, i'm not surprised peoples files are being corrupted. I just backed up my save to USB->PC this morning in case it happens.

The information on bestiary, items, the post game dungeon chests (the maps are still kind of shit), merchants and certain in game mechanics not taught anywhere else in the game are good though.

I like how the guide says I can use many items for Assassin, go farm the chest to find out its for Mystic Knight. Of course they have the icons wrong for Ass/MK. Worse BradyGames Guide I've ever bought.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I've been backing up my save to USB every so often alternating between 2 drives out of corruption scare. Is there any signs that it'll corrupt or does it just happen?

360 version is pretty smooth! The screen tearing is minor, unless it picks up later on elsewhere. Load times are quick and the frame rate is good so far.

And demigod, I got the 360 version as well because... I had money to blow and I needed an excuse to try that RE6 demo, haha.

Belenos

Banned
I like how the guide says I can use many items for Assassin, go farm the chest to find out its for Mystic Knight. Of course they have the icons wrong for Ass/MK. Worse BradyGames Guide I've ever bought.

I've had bad experiences with the BradyGames guides that's why I didn't get this one. Why didn't FuturePress or Piggyback made this one. :(

Risette

A Good Citizen
360 version is pretty smooth! The screen tearing is minor, unless it picks up later on elsewhere. Load times are quick and the frame rate is good so far.
Are you playing it on 720p mode or 1080p mode?

The switch really did make a difference in the demo for me. 1080p mode was unbearable, I'm pretty sensitive to tearing. 720p mode was much better but there was still too much tearing for my comfort. I heard the retail build may have improved, though, so I'm curious.

I'll probably double dip when the 360 version goes on sale somewhere if the tearing isn't as bad as the demo. And definitely triple dip when it comes to PC...

Are you playing it on 720p mode or 1080p mode?

The switch really did make a difference in the demo for me. 1080p mode was unbearable, I'm pretty sensitive to tearing. 720p mode was much better but there was still too much tearing for my comfort. I heard the retail build may have improved, though, so I'm curious.

I'll probably double dip when the 360 version goes on sale somewhere if the tearing isn't as bad as the demo. And definitely triple dip when it comes to PC...

I'm playing in 1080p via HDMI on a 42" LCD. The screen tearing honestly isn't that bad.

maomaoIYP

I didn't run into that problem, but this is not anywhere near the worst guide I've seen. That distinction belongs to the FFIX guide, where most of the guide simply puts "Want to know how to do this? Go online to: www.fuckingshitguide.com".

maomaoIYP

A big ew to using a guide, takes alot of the fun away.

Farming the chests without anyway of knowing what it can yield in the first place isn't fun, which is what I bought the guide for. It's also useful for item stats, the locations of the rare ones which cannot be bought, item combinations, hidden side quest list etc etc. Not everyone uses a guide for a step by step walkthrough.

Anteater

For next game, they should really take advantage of the "throw" command, let players aim or have some kind of auto lock on for throwing items, it would be great for Fighter without range attacks, they could even get rid of the "pawn launching" skills, nobody ever uses it, just let you launch them by picking them up, and toss them wherever you want but make it a fighter/warrior core skill. Would solve the silly metal golem problem!

1. pick up rock
2. hold L1
3. toss it at crystal

Styles

Just killed my first dragon! Again I must re-iterated how overpowered MK's abilities are. That great cannon and vortex is a deadly combo.

Anteater

Just killed my first dragon! Again I must re-iterated how overpowered MK's abilities are. That great cannon and vortex is a deadly combo.

MK is just so versatile and god damn fun, I usually use the canon for range to get rid of the annoying mobs I don't want to fight, and use my shield skills for the other stuff, I bring along 2 elemental swords around so I don't have to waste 2 slots for the general fire and ice enchantments, and use the slots for holy, demonswrath and whatever shield counter/buff I feel like using.

It has the best shield skills too, watching your demonswrath shield charge up when you blocked multiple hits from a boss/range enemies, or watching everything gets devastated by your elemental counter, you feel like a god damn badass, the game makes it so easy to block too, in a tight situation? Just jump away and turn and press block while in the air! Goblin tossing a skull at you? Block that shit and shoot a fucking giant fireball back at him.

MK is the best class that was ever created for an rpg, that's right.

That sound effect whenever you do a perfect block is SO GOOD

demigod

I've had bad experiences with the BradyGames guides that's why I didn't get this one. Why didn't FuturePress or Piggyback made this one. :(

No thanks, FuturePress is the WORSE guide maker. Dark Souls guide was fucking terrible. I died more using their stupid strategy on bosses than finding my own strat.

Farming the chests without anyway of knowing what it can yield in the first place isn't fun, which is what I bought the guide for. It's also useful for item stats, the locations of the rare ones which cannot be bought, item combinations, hidden side quest list etc etc. Not everyone uses a guide for a step by step walkthrough.

I actually didn't even buy the guide until I got the Wyrm King's ring I think. Mainly bought the guide thinking there was a map I could use instead of hitting Start everytime to bring the map up. And also combining items, which I haven't even bothered to.

No thanks, FuturePress is the WORSE guide maker. Dark Souls guide was fucking terrible. I died more using their stupid strategy on bosses than finding my own strat.

Someone did not get a copy of the Bayonetta one aka the holy grail of game guides. Vanquish was good.

Yet I agree that the dark souls one was disappointing and is outdated due to the patch anyway. Still better than the DD guide which I would say is only useful for maps, stats and everfall farming.

There's a patch up for version 1.02, don't know if it does anything major though as it's a small file. Maybe it will fix the corrupt save issue some people had though.

Top Bottom