• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

The V-Sync is a none issue in Dragon's Dogma because it happens so little, and usually when it happens it is in huge fights where the screen is packed with enemies. What do you prefer in fights? A steady framerate where you can stay in flow or be constantly interrupted by annoying framerate dips? I am just saying.

I just watched the GT review with 360 footage and it lacerated the shit out of my eyes. Hate tearing.

I have a tougher time deciding what I want to make my main pawn, since I want her to be warrior and a mage, which are 2 extreme opposites
KuGsj.gif

All I can say that you should just choose the character that suits you best and fill in the blanks with your second pawn. I took the Warrior pawn class to balance it with my Strider (going Mystic Archer) because I am usually always in the background and I needed a pawn that could take the bulk of the attack while I am out of danger. Works like a charm and he's a big guy (100kg and 1.92 in height).

I just watched the GT review with 360 footage and it lacerated the shit out of my eyes. Hate tearing.

Don't judge the v-sync by watching the GT review. That is all I am saying. It is not nearly as annoying.

How about quoting the rest? It usually happens in intense fights and 90% of the time I am focusing on that huge ass troll that is decimating my party instead of a V-Sync issue. Besides, the combat is the most important part of the game and I rather take better framerate over dipping framerate. I just can not understand how one would take 20-25FPS over 25-30FPS in a game where combat is supposed to go as smooth as silk.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
How about quoting the rest? It usually happens in intense fights and 90% of the time I am focusing on that huge ass troll that is decimating my party instead of a V-Sync issue. Besides, the combat is the most important part of the game and I rather take better framerate over dipping framerate. I just can not understand how one would take 20-25FPS over 25-30FPS in a game where combat is supposed to go as smooth as silk.

I played, beat, and loved PS3 Bayonetta. I can handle any sort of framerate issues just fine. :D Meanwhile screen tearing is like razors to my eyes.

Different things bug different people.

I played, beat, and loved PS3 Bayonetta. I can handle any sort of framerate issues just fine. :D

I guess anyone has their preference and opinions. Let us leave it at that.

The more I play this game, the more I am falling in love with the combat side of things. Here I thought Kingdoms of Amalur reinvented the wheel for RPG combat but Dragon's Dogma just took it up a notch or two. I can not see myself go back to Skyrim after this.

Oh, and do not worry about the difficulty. I know people here who absolutely hated Demon Soul's difficulty but this does not even come close. This game is basically your old-school RPG where the regions have set levels, so going towards that path with your underleveled character will get you killed but the normal leveled enemies can not kill you in oné or two blows. It is still challenging then most of the RPG's out there but definitely not frustrating.

Lach

I still haven't made up the class for my first play.

Leaning towards mage/sorcerer but then I don't get to climb around the monsters much...

I still haven't made up the class for my first play.

Leaning towards mage/sorcerer but then I don't get to climb around the monsters much...

I would go with Strider if I were you but that is because I am not all that fond of Mages and I always wanted to know how it feels like to be fighting as Legolas.

Got my copy today, WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, for parents out there, does this have any nudity/sexual stuff or overally graphic violence early on? Was planning on playing some of this in front of my 8 year old. He thought the demo was awesome.

You have a child?

God help the poor little blighter.

Good to know. What did you do for your advance class?

I know this question is not directed towards me but I can not help but ask something.

What kind of advance class are you wondering about? Because in my book the Assassin is a very fun class, but it seems to be completely overwhelmed by the Ranger or Mystic Archer. Any pawn can take over the Assassin branch if you want but being an insanely good archer is oné of the things that can help your party tremendously.

Fighting a troll with 1 eye? Shoot an arrow in it and he will be blind for a couple of seconds. Got a harpy flying over your party? Shoot a Fire arrow at it and his feathers will burn making him drop to the ground. That is not to say that mages can not do the same but the swiftness of the Strider is oné of the biggest selling points.

I know this question is not directed towards me but I can not help but ask something.

What kind of advance class are you wondering about? Because in my book the Assassin is a very fun class, but it seems to be completely overwhelmed by the Ranger or Mystic Archer. Any pawn can take over the Assassin branch if you want but being an insanely good archer is oné of the things that can help your party tremendously.

Fighting a troll with 1 eye? Shoot an arrow in it and he will be blind for a couple of seconds. Got a harpy flying over your party? Shoot a Fire arrow at it and his feathers will burn making him drop to the ground. That is not to say that mages can not do the same but the swiftness of the Strider is oné of the biggest selling points.

I was wondering if he went Ranger or Magic Archer. Thanks for the tips though, I'm really excited to use the different archer abilities.

popokarimu

Neo Member

Just to clarify, pawns cannot be assassins. It is a hybrid class, therefore only the arisen can choose it.

Setre

Game should arrive today, won’t be able to play until Thursday though, and had a question for those who have/know about the game. What’s the best class for being able to jump on shit and kill it? I only played the first mission in the demo but I loved jumping on the monster and stabbing it to death, even if it wasn’t practical. Was going to go Warrior (Swoard and Board) but the description doesn't make them seem agile.

Good to know. What did you do for your advance class?

I played around with assassin a bit, but to be honest, I stuck with strider most of the time. By the end I still hadn't QUITE unlocked every skill, and I was just having the most fun with it. Planning to do more assassin and maybe a mystic knight on new-game-plus.

Game should arrive today, won’t be able to play until Thursday though, and had a question for those who have/know about the game. What’s the best class for being able to jump on shit and kill it? I only played the first mission in the demo but I loved jumping on the monster and stabbing it to death, even if it wasn’t practical. Was going to go Warrior (Swoard and Board) but the description doesn't make them seem agile.

The one thing that makes grabbing onto monsters easy is your weight. You can go towards the Warrior path if you want but you are diminishing yourself if you also want to grab onto monsters.

- Weight affects your mobility. Weight under 70kg? You are fast, agile, can jump on monsters but you are easily knocked over by gusts of wind and certain attacks. Every kilogram you weigh more, the less fast and agile you will become but the more you can take without getting staggered.

So if you really want to grab onto monsters go towards the Strider route and either make an Assassin/Ranger or take the Hybrid routes.

What do you prefer in fights? A steady framerate where you can stay in flow or be constantly interrupted by annoying framerate dips? I am just saying.

Been playing the demo and I would definitely prefer higher framerates. It's just a case of my subjective > your subjective and ppl claiming one is superior version based on that. DF comparisons should show numbers and if anything is being exaggerated. Took them a week after the demo I believe.

Been playing the demo and I would definitely prefer higher framerates. It's just a case of my subjective > your subjective and ppl claiming one is superior version based on that. DF comparisons should show numbers and if anything is being exaggerated. Took them a week after the demo I believe.

Glad I am not in the minority because I was almost doubting if I was still 'sane'

What's the current general GAF consensus on this game?

Also, 360 or PS3?

All I can say is that Capcom redeemed themselves with Dragon's Dogma after the debacle that was Resident Evil 5.

360 if you want a better framerate but with the drawback of it having v-sync issues.
PS3 if you want v-sync enabled with the expense of a framerate that can dip towards -25FPS.

Ohhh man! Just got done playing for 8ish hours. I'm spent...

That quest that sent me into the Witchwood to get the old witch turned out so intense for me. Just the journey to the woods toke its toll but then inside it with the mist and my health getting lower and lower. It didn't help it got dark too. I had such a feeling of dread as I moved around. When I finally saw the hunt I was looking for with the torch I jumped for joy!

Now Its time for me to sleep....

Effect

Are the large creatures, that have more then one health bar, the norm when exploring or are they rare? At least in the beginning of the game?

Are the large creatures, that have more then one health bar, the norm when exploring or are they rare? At least in the beginning of the game?

They are quite rare in the beginning of the game with the exception of the starting story missions. The more you progress the more you will encounter these. They are a bitch to take down but it is so much fun.

I'm not a fan of 3D in the slightest but it would be pretty interested to see this game in that format, though I'm having a hard time describing why.

It's just the way the action is framed in certain shots in the trailers/gameplay where these monsters are reaching over you to attack or you are holding onto the top of them looking down as you attack. The game looks like it has a great sense of scale.

Moments like this are what I'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoWh-gmQi-E&feature=player_detailpage#t=86s

Moofers

I just went to WalMart hoping to pick this up for PS3, but they were only carrying the 360 version and they had like 3 copies. So then I went to Target and they aren't carrying it on either system. So what does this mean for DD? Bomba?

I wanted to pick it up before work, but now it looks like I'm going to have to go to GameStop on my lunch break. I don't wanna hear any shit about not pre-ordering either.

ttocs

I'm generally surprised by the good press this is getting. I was hoping it would be decent but it's turning out to be a lot more than that.

despire

What's this Mystic Archer everyones talking about? I only see Magic Archer in the OP.

Going to roll a Strider and them probably going to become somekind of Archer later on, probably Mystic/Magic :)

Mognet

I just got an email for dlc codes. I wasn't really expecting any but I'm not complaining.

The game will still most likely arrive next week though. ):

Effect

They are quite rare in the beginning of the game with the exception of the starting story missions. The more you progress the more you will encounter these. They are a bitch to take down but it is so much fun.

Not to bad. Do they respawn quickly or once you clear an area it stays clear for a while or good?

I just got an email for dlc codes. I wasn't really expecting any but I'm not complaining.

The game will still most likely arrive next week though. ):

Where did you order from? I'm wondering if I should keep an eye out for mine since I got my order from amazon and its on it's way here!

For impatient UK people who really want to play this fucking game ASAP, Shopto have it up on their ebay store and will dispatch it today 1st class if you order before 5PM. Last time I ordered from there I got the game the next day so I'm hopeful. Either way it will be here at least a day earlier than the Amazon order I originally made.

IGN says PS3 is the better version.

If you can't install it on 360, and you have the choice of PS3 get that one. Otherwise:

PS3 - framerate is pretty much the same as the demo. Low 20s at its best, teens when it gets bad

360 - tearing is as bad as the demo. Pop-in and framerate a problem during loads if not installed.

Go with whichever issue affects you less. Personally I despise a bad framerate so I'm going 360, which is good since I prefer achievements over trophies, and the PS3 controller is one I abhor.

Unity2012

Went to the midnight launch and stood there among the Ghost Recon Crowd--not too many people to be honest; they had a raffle and they picked my number, I ended up wining a box of Ghost Recon Accessories, Ha! Hilarious!

I went home with my copy of DD, my Ghost Recon stuff (nothing to brag about, really); and a bunch of people looking at me saying, "What, you did not buy GR?"

I had a blast with DD, played only for a couple hours but I can tell this is going to suck a big chunk of my gaming time.

Top Bottom