• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Anteater

Shitty framerate aside, I really like the graphics in this game

dragonsdogmascreenshogzp6o.jpg

dragonsdogmascreenshoz5zn0.jpg

dragonsdogmascreenshopixep.jpg

dragonsdogmascreensho9ha3s.jpg

Riposte

This is a great game made by good developers going out of its way to emulate a bad game made by mediocre developers and not particularly well either. The end result suffers dearly for it. I imagine and lament a Dragon's Dogma with less traveling (i.e. hours spent running) and leveling being replaced with gear progression a la Monster Hunter in both areas. Profession/ranks system staying the same is fine and would be a nice mix of character progression mechanics (since people want to feel like they are "leveling up"). DD as it is now is constantly making you face fights you don't want to fight and if you do fight them you slowly make the fights you do want to fight less interesting. I'm almost disgusted with myself for not putting down the game after spending hours running from wolves and bandits... just hours of playtime holding down the sprint button because I didn't want to make the game suck for myself nor spend time on boring fights. I guess you have to give credit to the good parts. Open world games with unhinged leveling systems, man.

I quite like it overall though, especially the "post-game" switch. It just really falls short of its potential. I think this is a common assessment.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to end my first playthrough and move on to New Game Plus. Crazy "real" ending, there.

Is any of the DLC worth picking up before I start up my second game?

EekTheKat

Unlike other unnamed RPG's that rely on fast travel, the journey is a big part of DD.

If there is a DD2 they just need to expand upon what they have in DD, like randomizing encounters. Make the world even bigger, but give the player the ability to set up camp on long journeys.

Riposte

Unlike other unnamed RPG's that rely on fast travel, the journey is a big part of DD.

If there is a DD2 they just need to expand upon what they have in DD, like randomizing encounters. Make the world even bigger, but give the player the ability to set up camp on long journeys.

If the game focused on far fewer journeys that had more weight to them, I'd agree. In reality it is like "These five things I want to do after all over this fucking map and I want to switch my vocation a few times...". That's several hours of me hating this journey.

so i just got to the
final battle
mission for the first time but i'm a bit weak to attempt it yet. what shall i do for now to get a little stronger?

What level are you and what's your current equipment?

I decided to end my first playthrough and move on to New Game Plus. Crazy "real" ending, there.

Is any of the DLC worth picking up before I start up my second game?

IMO, no. Don't pay for mundane quests you've already done countless times and items that are locked away on the disc.

how do you cure your pawn of petrification? I couldn't figure out how to apply secret softener on them.

Put the secret softener in their inventory.

Kyoufu

From what I've played this year, this is GOTY.

Fuck me it's so good.

The only thing that should have been done better was the travelling. Saying that, I feel like night time would be skipped by everyone (night time is my favourite part of the game) and that would be a shame.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
Oh Gawd! I almost choked on my almonds!

Got some good hours in on the weekend. Damm this game! Got my MK maxed out and switched to Sorc so I can 1 shot most of the bandits and wolf packs I stumble across.
Canny wait for my Maelstrom ability :D:D:D:D

After I max sorc I think its going to be MA next!

My pawn is a warrior _50+) called MacGyver! Look out for him if you need a (smart ass) warrior :D

As an environment artist this game really impresses me. The character and variety they can get out of bland old stones, bricks and mortar it amazing. The forest sections, the constant movement of things blown by the wind, the different wind strengths depending on the area, I don't even notice the blocky polygonal terrain bits and the random placement of rocks that have geological purpose except for ill in the gaps and hide treasure. And all this in a biome that is relatively similar.

The lighting is really good (the low res shadows don't bother me as much as they did in AC) and everything just fits. Excellent art direction all round. Nothing feels out of place at all which means tight control on values and colour across the broad. The character models are just so well done (monsters specifically They made the fucken wings look like god damm wings not paper toys) and the feeling of weight and layers that the armours have. So good.
My husband who's a character artist is pretty damm impressed with their parts system and we have spent a good deal of time trying to figure out how they made their systems.

So not only is it a great game to play but one we love to study and talk about from a developer perspective.

I wish there was some way I can tell the team how much of an awesome game they made, and how much respect we have for them.

Kyoufu

Barf.

It hurts because I know if there's a DD2 Capcom is definitely going to cave in to fast travel :(

Yeah, I don't want fast travel until endgame anyway.

Nothing beats setting out on a road trip from town. I love going on a trek at night.

Fuck this game is so good.

I guess I don't see why having fast travel would be such a big deal. If you don't want to use it, then don't. There have definitely been times when I would have liked some way to quickly travel to point on the map because of various reasons, but I do like the way the game is done. I think it would definitely be a good idea to add and I can't see a legitimate reason to suggest otherwise. It is an optional feature that can help some people while having zero effect on everyone else.

MechaX

I hope DD2 doesn't have fast travel. All the fun is in the combat, why would you skip it by fast travelling?

The combat is fun when you're actually fighting enemies that pose a challenge or you have to fight in interesting conditions. Not so much when you're wading through the same hordes of goblins, saurians, wolves, and harpies time and time again (most of which you can't really effectively run away from). If the game is going to have the exact same spawns in the exact same places, fast travel may be more advantageous in the sense that it doesn't make things tedious. Hell, running back and forth through Gransys so much pretty much completely nullified whatever "awe" factor fighting chimeras, drakes, or cyclops enemies had in the beginning.

Then go pick mushrooms. You don't have to use pawns and you don't have to fight every wolf you see.

Might as well tell him to just mute his TV at this point.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I hope DD2 doesn't have fast travel. All the fun is in the combat, why would you skip it by fast travelling?

I agree. I hope they just make the environments more interesting and varied, and most importantly, give them dynamic encounters. It would be awesome if you really didn't know what was waiting for you out there. A trip from one town to another could be completely uneventful one time, but another time you take the trip, you could encounter a roving band of thieves, for example.

I didn't mind the lack of fast travel at all in Dragon's Dogma. I liked it, in fact. However, the complaints about how everything has static spawn locations is valid, in my opinion. Static spawn points are fine for dungeons and the like, but the overworld that you are forced to traverse countless times needs to be more dynamic.

maomaoIYP

The combat is fun when you're actually fighting enemies that pose a challenge or you have to fight in interesting conditions. Not so much when you're wading through the same hordes of goblins, saurians, wolves, and harpies time and time again (most of which you can't really effectively run away from). If the game is going to have the exact same spawns in the exact same places, fast travel may be more advantageous in the sense that it doesn't make things tedious. Hell, running back and forth through Gransys so much pretty much completely nullified whatever "awe" factor fighting chimeras, drakes, or cyclops enemies had in the beginning.

I would agree.....if there wasn't so many ways to play the game. All the 9 different vocations play very differently, and I just can't get bored because once I do, I switch vocations and it's a brand new experience again. Most people gravitate towards assassin or MK but I say you haven't lived until you've tried, say solo vs any boss monster as a fighter or mage.

Same thing with pawns, try experimenting with different pawn setups, even the ones that look stupid or impossible can be extremely fun. Ever tried 4 sorcs? It's insane. And incredibly fun.

In my first playthrough I thought I was indestructable because I was killing things left and right as an assassin in post game. I switched to warrior and got destroyed by the next pack of hellhounds I ran into.

i don't have problems with the traveling you'll do in your first playthrough, but i wish there were more challenging ambushes. dirty boss encounters should have been more frequent, especially at night. i could play this game for a year nonstop if capcom offered content updates. i already miss the combat and the adventure. even as i put 150 hours into it, i felt it was too short.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just the director dropping hints if there is enough "fan support".

Not true, this was in that same interview:

4Gamer:
それでは最後に,読者に向けてメッセージをお願いいたします。
In closing, is there anything you'd like to say to our readers?

Itsuno:
もうクリアされた方も多いと思いますが,「Dragon's Dogma」では,まだまだ遊べる要素を用意しています。いったん休止していただいてもかまいませんので,しばらくソフトを手元に置いておいたほうがいいと思います。
Lots of players have probably already completed the game, but we are preparing lots of new ways to enjoy Dragon's Dogma. I don't mind if you take a break from the game for a while, but I think it would be a good idea to keep your copy nearby for a while.

Definitely hinting at some DLC that hasn't been released yet.

nataku

I finally beat the game after a long break (dealing with the HP bar causing some pretty heavy IR on my plasma, gah) and now I'm in post game. I knew what happened with
the sky, but I didn't think it would be that dark. It adds great atmosphere, but holy shit, I can hardly see anything. I'm thinking of rushing through post game and NG+ so I can try out the post game sky glitch. Hopefully they don't patch it out.

See, I'm the opposite. I just got done playing through Skyrim after putting it on hold for a long time, and the combat in that game sucked no matter what I was fighting. I had to force myself to finally finish it I hated the combat so much.

Personally, I find slaughtering easy mobs in DD fun. Not nearly as fun as the bosses of course, but still fun. I definitely hope they put random boss encounters in DD2 when running around though the world. Bosses that are a challenge, and not always in the same location.

GorillaJu

Is there any way to do some "douche bag from Econ 101" style promoting for my pawn? I want my stupid little archer to be the town whore, but so far only found one John to pimp out to.

Also I should have made a male pawn.

Kolgar

So, Xboxers, any luck in taking down the post-game
Ur Dragon Gen 50
?

I gave him several tries but only twice escaped alive, and don't think I did much damage to him.

Will check in on him tonight.

I'm level 67 and life in the post game isn't easy. I'm not even sure I can best the offline version of that thing. Not to mention the room with two Gorechimeras. Playing as a magic archer with a mage main pawn, a fighter and a sorcerer.

The randomizing encounters would be cool, but also keep the current ones since they respawn after a set number of days. Like fighting a drake and griffin at once! >:O
But I think setting up camps would be a great idea. Also, each (or certain) towns have caravans that 'fast-travel' you for a decent amount of fee (that way it wouldn't be overused). I think they should come out with more variety of quests, I felt like there has been so many fetch quests it was almost annoying to keep going back and forth.

I think this game is great the way it is, all capcom needs to do is expand the map, bestiaries, and add the above ideas

EDIT:
Also, they need to somehow fix the framerate for ps3, I've been fighting ur dragon and it's well too noticable to distract me from fighting

Definitely hinting at some DLC that hasn't been released yet.

I'm hoping for some sort of expansion, that'd be wonderful. I got the first set of DLC quests and it's so simple.. can anyone tell me how the other batch of quests are? Fun? It's definitely a game worth replaying imo, I haven't gotten bored at all.

Almost 16 hours in now, lvl. 25, don't know how much of the map I've explored but it certainly doesn't look like much of it! Love DD *.*

Anyone got any tips for item/weight management? I just carry as much as possible without getting to "heavy", but it's becoming a chore.

ShinAmano

So I just entered the post game for the first time. I used a fighter most of the game and switched to a Mystic Knight towards the end. Both vocations are almost maxed out. My pawn was a mage that I switched to a sorcerer after maxing out the mage.

The Everfall seems to be a beast of a task to take on at my level 45. Also according to a buddy I missed a bunch of specific quests that would have helped me out.

Should I push on in the Everfall to try and level up and grab loot, or is there stuff to do in the main world? Otherwise should I bag the final boss and start a new game +?

maomaoIYP

So, Xboxers, any luck in taking down the post-game
Ur Dragon Gen 50
?

I gave him several tries but only twice escaped alive, and don't think I did much damage to him.

I fought him an hour ago, 3 health bars left. He'll be dead within the next half day.

Anyone got any tips for item/weight management? I just carry as much as possible without getting to "heavy", but it's becoming a chore.

Transfer your loot to your pawns. They teleport directly to you when they are too far away, so go ahead and burden them.

GorillaJu

Bought the game earlier today and I am wholly addicted to this.

Spending all my money on upgrading my pawn first, since I figure if I have a strong pawn, people will be likely to bring it with them if they encounter her in the rift lobby thing. Feels better for the long run.

spent too much money at madeleine's shop already :(( Was up to 150k and now down to 50k gold because I want all those little upgrades for my pawn.

Anteater

Switched to Strider since I've capped MA, and they seem to have similar stats growth

spent too much money at madeleine's shop already :(( Was up to 150k and now down to 50k gold because I want all those little upgrades for my pawn.

Yeah, money comes and goes in this game, you get a lot of money from chests and quests, then you ended up spending them all :p

Almost 16 hours in now, lvl. 25, don't know how much of the map I've explored but it certainly doesn't look like much of it! Love DD *.*

Give items to your pawns to carry. There's also an augment from the Fighter class that allows you to carry an extra 10kg - it's quite useful.

Kyoufu

Hooooooooooooooooly shit. Drake fight was epic.

EPIC.

Though I admit I cheesed the encounter by standing behind a tree and casting High Bolide over and over lol.

played some more yesterday after a lengthy hiatus (been 3-4 weeks). Donwloaded a patch etc. Fought a cyclops and mage cast a hurricane spell and the game went to 6fps. never had this before. I was like WTF?

/endstory

*PS3

Kyoufu

played some more yesterday after a lengthy hiatus (been 3-4 weeks). Donwloaded a patch etc. Fought a cyclops and mage cast a hurricane spell and the game went to 6fps. never had this before. I was like WTF?

/endstory

*PS3

It has trouble with magick effects :(

PS3 limitations!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A nice thing about the silly DLC fetch quests is that once you've found the badge to complete one, you can simply pop it back into your inventory and auto-complete it immediately on subsequent playthroughs.

The exp adds up pretty nicely, as do the discipline points allowing you to get a fair few free ranks on a job without ever leaving the lower room in the pawn guild!

I've finally finished the main quest, I'm pretty sure I did every side quest alongside and ended up level 45. That was really good. This game is probably my GOTY so far.

I've started messing around a bit with the postgame stuff. I'm a bit surprised at the reports of people in their 40s-50s being overwhelmed in this part because so far, we've been trouncing pretty much everything the game throws at us (went back my MK from Assassin).

Anyway, is there anything in particular I should do or know?
Aside obviously from going through the Everfall. I went through a few rooms before I figured how to get out. Is there any interesting stuff to do outside in this new fucked up world?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am level 71. Played for weeks. And I've never had that bad of a frame drop before.

I posted in this months NPD thread but anyone know how this is selling in the US? I really want a sequel

I take it you don't play a Magick Knight.

Kyoufu

Is there a reason why I can only pick 6 DLC quests on the DLC Notice Board even though I have all of them downloaded on PSN?

Riposte

(Offline) Ur-Dragon took me a long ass time to do as a Warrior. It wasn't so bad until the very last health bar, where it then took me like two or more hours. At first I couldn't figure out where to hit him. Turned out to be the wings. Strider/Ranger pawns are freaking stupid. They wouldn't shoot at them for anything. Even after I took away their daggers, they would still try to climb (which is useless for me to do on the wings because the camera goes bonkers up there). With mages it was no problem. Anyway, Warrior? A real pain in the ass class. It is like you a slower/more vulnerable version of a Monster Hunter character in a game designed to be faster than Monster Hunter. Can be real satisfying though.

Anyway, I really wonder where they are going to take this newly made franchise. I mean...
You kill, then become god. I can't imagine they will just repeat the story again. I guess there are some details surrounding "Grigori" that are left mysterious, assuming that entity is separate from the dragon/Arisen body. The game must have been called Dragon's "Dogma" for a reason.

Also I thought it was real funny that this game's ultimate storyline is incredibly similar (even down to the end boss) to something I thought about for Zelda back when Windwaker was released.
"Links" in a chain, weird timeline/geography issues, Ganon/the Dragon, Link disappearing in some games, Dark Link in II, etc.
Kind of a stupid personal thing, but I feel the urge to mention it... Imagine the minds blown.

Karak

/endstory

*PS3

Sadly the PS3 has some pretty huge issues depending on which PS3 you have and how much of the harddrive has been used. The amount of forum posts about the PS3 and this game boggles the mind. Its really just terribly unoptomized and add that with the PS3 limitations in specific areas and it can really ruin the experience for some. For others, no issue whatsoever.

Top Bottom