• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Boogdud

Is there ever a time where you can walk farther than 10 feet without running into 293 wolves of some type? If I hear another howl I'm going to choke a bitch.

Anteater

Is there ever a time where you can walk farther than 10 feet without running into 293 wolves of some type? If I hear another howl I'm going to choke a bitch.

I think they spawn from the howl, and they spawn a shit ton of them at night so if it's dark get ready to fence off like 20 of those fuckers.

Anteater

Well, casting shit is kind of fun in a way, using MA and 2 sorcerers, you just kind of stand there and watch things burn...
dragonsdogmascreenshotwkwp.jpg

just look at them crawling around in pain...
dragonsdogmascreenshosnk66.jpg
dragonsdogmascreensho6ojaf.jpg

watatatatatata!
dragonsdogmascreenshocljxg.jpg

"Woles hunt in packs!"

Yea no shit... lol! I killed enough wolves to dress every Cyclops in the world in snowsuits for a Winter excursion.

Do explain!

http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/63392356

Some kindly folks on GameFAQs were able to finally get it down to a repeatable method. Here's what you do: (spoilers for game obviously)

1. Get to the fight with Grigori/Big Red/Mr. Dragon. To do this you need to be a long range class when you fight him, Ranger works best.
2. Take all of his HP save the final blow (which has to hit his heart to actually finish him). This is easy with Tenfold Flurry or other high damage moves using the Strength augments. I used Autonomy since I'm playing a solo playthrough (STR/MAG/DEF + 70% when alone), and Bloodlust (+ 70% STR at night).
3. Go through the fight up until the ballista part. When you go up the stairs to the tower where he circles and you're supposed to shoot him with the ballista, it will auto save before that scene.
4. When Grigs flies at you to shoot fire, you have to hit him in the head with a projectile attack, and then the heart IMMEDIATELY afterwards. The best method by far is Tenfold Flurry with a Ranger, using Blast Arrows. Aim the Tenfold at his face as he comes down, and when he's close enough to where he tries to shoot fire, let him have it.

What should happen if you aimed it well is that he gets nailed in the face triggering the ballista cut scene (it always shows you hit him with a ballista arrow regardless of what you used), but then he immediately dies afterwards. You know you got it when you get the ballista hit cutscene but instead of loading the next part of the fight, you hear the inn jingle when you stay for the night. Whole rest of the fight is skipped, including the reunion with your loved one and the ending and you wake up in Cassardis as usual but with non-fucked up skies.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/63392356

Some kindly folks on GameFAQs were able to finally get it down to a repeatable method. Here's what you do: (spoilers for game obviously)

1. Get to the fight with Grigori/Big Red/Mr. Dragon. To do this you need to be a long range class when you fight him, Ranger works best.
2. Take all of his HP save the final blow (which has to hit his heart to actually finish him). This is easy with Tenfold Flurry or other high damage moves using the Strength augments. I used Autonomy since I'm playing a solo playthrough (STR/MAG/DEF + 70% when alone), and Bloodlust (+ 70% STR at night).
3. Go through the fight up until the ballista part. When you go up the stairs to the tower where he circles and you're supposed to shoot him with the ballista, it will auto save before that scene.
4. When Grigs flies at you to shoot fire, you have to hit him in the head with a projectile attack, and then the heart IMMEDIATELY afterwards. The best method by far is Tenfold Flurry with a Ranger, using Blast Arrows. Aim the Tenfold at his face as he comes down, and when he's close enough to where he tries to shoot fire, let him have it.

What should happen if you aimed it well is that he gets nailed in the face triggering the ballista cut scene (it always shows you hit him with a ballista arrow regardless of what you used), but then he immediately dies afterwards. You know you got it when you get the ballista hit cutscene but instead of loading the next part of the fight, you hear the inn jingle when you stay for the night. Whole rest of the fight is skipped, including the reunion with your loved one and the ending and you wake up in Cassardis as usual but with non-fucked up skies.

Damn that's awesome! I guess I need to try that for New Game+

Sounds like you only get one shot since the game auto saves after the critical moment, though?

Damn that's awesome! I guess I need to try that for New Game+

Sounds like you only get one shot since the game auto saves after the critical moment, though?

You can try multiple times if you A: Quit and make a backup save then overwrite if you mess up, B: Reload to last checkpoint and go through the fight again if you don't want to do the whole backup save thing, or C: If you landed a kill shot instead of getting the ballista cutscene and you see the typical post fight cutscene play, you can quit from the XMB and reload right at the part.

It isn't too hard, only took me about 4-5 attempts before I got it.

maomaoIYP

FINALLY got an online ur-dragon kill with only 2 sorcs. Had to suicide 3 times with the godsbane before I finally did it. Damn that shit is difficult without assassin augments.

I have a warrior main with a mage pawn, and currently hiring two fighters (I think). I'm using a two-handed sword I bought and some armor I found deep in the area beneath the pawn guild. Any tips on good gear I could get at this point? (around lvl 15)

BeeDog

Just reached post-game and the Everfall, goddamn the boss fight was amazing.

Aside from the darkened skies, my worry is that navigating the game world will be a pain in the ass, since my underpowered Mystic Knight has a ridiculously hard time against most of the buffed-up foes (e.g. Giant Undeads, Grimgoblins and especially Hellhounds). :(

I'm thinking about changing vocations. I'm 30 something (35 IIRC) and started with a Fighter with my pawn as a Strider.

I've already changed my character's vocation to Mystic Knight. Should I switch to Assassin? Should I change my pawn from Strider to Ranger or something else?

Obviously, I've been outsourcing all my magical needs since the beginning of the game.

Anteater

I'm thinking about changing vocations. I'm 30 something (35 IIRC) and started with a Fighter with my pawn as a Strider.

I've already changed my character's vocation to Mystic Knight. Should I switch to Assassin? Should I change my pawn from Strider to Ranger or something else?

Obviously, I've been outsourcing all my magical needs since the beginning of the game.

Yeah, you should do fine switching to assassin, play whichever class you find appealing, I went from Fighter > MK > Assassin and back to MK and it was like a god when I got to the end of the game thanks to assassin's augments, and it's also a fun class to play.

Just reached post-game and the Everfall, goddamn the boss fight was amazing.

Aside from the darkened skies, my worry is that navigating the game world will be a pain in the ass, since my underpowered Mystic Knight has a ridiculously hard time against most of the buffed-up foes (e.g. Giant Undeads, Grimgoblins and especially Hellhounds). :(

There actually aren't much of those mobs around the map, they are
around gran soren mostly with a new mob or two here and there (mostly new drakes and the cockatrice)
, it's not really too bad, but you probably won't find much reasons to run around the map other than
fighting those new drakes they placed around gransys
, you will probably catch up in levels really quick. Also use ice or holy against hellhounds, you should be able to freeze them really easily, pay attention to where they are and you should be able to block everything with your shield and counter them, they just like to attack from behind :p

Edit: oh a lot of gears in post game has fire resistance, you could deck out with them and wear a Ring of Gules and see if it helps against all the fireballs.

maomaoIYP

I have a warrior main with a mage pawn, and currently hiring two fighters (I think). I'm using a two-handed sword I bought and some armor I found deep in the area beneath the pawn guild. Any tips on good gear I could get at this point? (around lvl 15)

Look for chests in hard to find areas, those are normally the ones that contain equipment. Also, the chests have a fixed drop table, so unless you know which chests have the things you want, your best bet is actually to buy your equipment from shops.

Dorrin

Decided to switch to Assassin in the low 40s from a max rank Sorc, Rank 6 Mystic Knight and Magic Archer. Right now this is looking to be a bit of a mistake as I'm on the quest to slay the griffin. For the first time since the metal golem(why I switched) I'm getting some serious challenge out of these bandits along the mountain pathway to were the griffin retreated. I'm using scalding daggers so my magic boost helps that but it is still tough going. I'll probably switch back to MK... just go so frustrated with that dang Magic Golem as I didn't have a ranged non magic damage dealer at the time... friggin amulet in the tree.

Anteater

Decided to switch to Assassin in the low 40s from a max rank Sorc, Rank 6 Mystic Knight and Magic Archer. Right now this is looking to be a bit of a mistake as I'm on the quest to slay the griffin. For the first time since the metal golem(why I switched) I'm getting some serious challenge out of these bandits along the mountain pathway to were the griffin retreated. I'm using scalding daggers so my magic boost helps that but it is still tough going. I'll probably switch back to MK... just go so frustrated with that dang Magic Golem as I didn't have a ranged non magic damage dealer at the time... friggin amulet in the tree.

Those bandits are just douchebags :p, you could probably just use range on them and take them out from far.

You don't really run into metal golem much but yeah, that was kind of a troll for non range users.

Man my magic archer bruises like a peach.

BeeDog

There actually aren't much of those mobs around the map, they are
around gran soren mostly with a new mob or two here and there (mostly new drakes and the cockatrice)
, it's not really too bad, but you probably won't find much reasons to run around the map other than
fighting those new drakes they placed around gransys
, you will probably catch up in levels really quick. Also use ice or holy against hellhounds, you should be able to freeze them really easily, pay attention to where they are and you should be able to block everything with your shield and counter them, they just like to attack from behind :p

Edit: oh a lot of gears in post game has fire resistance, you could deck out with them and wear a Ring of Gules and see if it helps against all the fireballs.

Thanks for the reply. I thought I'd run around a lot more in the overworld, but the Everfall is too fun to pass up. The structure of the floors plus the closeness to the Ferrystone/resting point makes it really bearable.

Once you start doing quests from inside the castle, a quest will start for Caxton (the weaponsmith in Gran Soren) where he asks for an Idol. It is best to give him the Gold Idol and then sleep for like 5 days - he'll then restock with awesome weapons. I'm rocking the Ardent Will right now that I bought from him - it cost like 200k, though.

You can also go to the Ancient Quarry and clear the quest for Alon there. He sells the Guts armor and weapons - they're pretty decent too.

Kyoufu

Have you checked the passage right underneath her house? She's probably all the way back there. Or check your house in Cassardis if she's in there (only if she's your love interest).

Yeah I checked everywhere. :/

Did another quest so going back to see if she shows up now. :\

edit: YESSSSSSS she's there.

MechaX

Bleh. Saw two Griffins and I wanted to fight one. I'm getting bored of fighting nothing but goblins and bandits all the time, and I already have taken out a couple of Drakes and plenty of Chimeras.

Of course, the stupid bird drops in all dramatic like, and after like two swings or arrow hits, it always, always flies off and runs from the fight. This game...

In the end, I didn't change my vocation from MK because I unlocked the magic cannon/great cannon 5 minutes after my post and so far, it's been good enough for me to not have to switch to a bow wielding class.

I just beat the metal golem and it wasn't as painful as expected, even though we essentially spent a whole night soaked in the middle of a river trying to kill that shit. It fell as dawn broke. That game is so epic.

Anyway, it's pretty badass to have a swordsman who can enchant his own blade and launch homing projectiles with whatever element he chooses.

Two questions:

1) Does "random" drops (found with Gather) respawn after some time and if so, how long?

2) I don't suppose it's possible to make the game take pictures that aren't complete shit? PNG option, plx?

I just killed my first gryphon, feels good.

maomaoIYP

Yeah I checked everywhere. :/

Did another quest so going back to see if she shows up now. :\

edit: YESSSSSSS she's there.

During the day sometimes she's gathering plants in the garden outside her house, if you come in the dead of the night she'll be asleep in her hut.

Two questions:

1) Does "random" drops (found with Gather) respawn after some time and if so, how long?

2) I don't suppose it's possible to make the game take pictures that aren't complete shit? PNG option, plx?

I just killed my first gryphon, feels good.

1) Yes, a couple of days, roughly 5-7 I THINK.
2) Haha, nope.

BeeDog

Damn, the (arc)hydra fights are great fun. Surprisingly hard too, expected it to be just a bit harder than the fight early in the game. :p

One issue I've encountered is that the cyclops that should spawn in the Frontier Cavern (for the Silver Idol quest) doesn't spawn there in post-game, since every time I visit the cave a hydra is found there. Can't finish it now :(

Mutombo

Just changed vocation to assasin and looking to get a gear upgrade. I somehow managed to 'get' Fournival guilty, so I don't think I can get the Gold Idol quest. But I can still get the bronze and silver idols, right? Would they work okay for getting better equipment at caxton?

I've only got the shitty sylvan bow. Other tips on good equipment are appreciated, I'm going dagger/bow, I think.

maomaoIYP

Just changed vocation to assasin and looking to get a gear upgrade. I somehow managed to 'get' Fournival guilty, so I don't think I can get the Gold Idol quest. But I can still get the bronze and silver idols, right? Would they work okay for getting better equipment at caxton?

I've only got the shitty sylvan bow. Other tips on good equipment are appreciated, I'm going dagger/bow, I think.

You can actually get the gold idol quest before the quest for fournival's trial. But yeah silver idol works fine. You're only losing out on REALLY horribly expensive weapons.

Anteater

My pawn with empty inclination seem to be doing pretty good, I think I'll keep her that way.

My favorite sorcerer pawn guy I used to hire earlier switched to all non nuking spells :(, but I found my new favorite.

3 questions:

How do I rate other people's pawns?

Is it possible to go through the game with the set of pawns I have now or is it expected that I will have to trade up as I go?

Can I quick select health items?

Anteater

3 questions:

How do I rate other people's pawns?

Is it possible to go through the game with the set of pawns I have now or is it expected that I will have to trade up as I go?

Can I quick select health items?

- You could rate them when you dismiss them in the Rift

- Support pawns don't level up so you will need to trade them up as you go, but you could add them to favorite and hire them again, if the person have been playing and leveled up his/her pawn you will get the updated version of their pawns if you rehire, I think a few levels off isn't that big of a deal though so I sometimes just keep them if they have the right skills

- Nope, but you could press select (or back on 360) to go straight into the items menu.

Top Bottom