• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

What's this Mystic Archer everyones talking about? I only see Magic Archer in the OP.

Going to roll a Strider and them probably going to become somekind of Archer later on, probably Mystic/Magic :)

Yeah, my bad. It is Magick Archer.

Hybrid Vocation: Equipped with magick bows, the Magick Archer is a class that weaves sorcery into every shot from their bow, ensuring that they always hit their mark. Magick Archers also blend sorcery into their daggers as well, making them a deadly class up close or from afar.

So basically you shoot the bow like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2W1stlkJfo

Not to bad. Do the respawn quickly or once you clear an area it stays clear for a while or good?

Good question. I have not really paid attention to that as of yet.

Mognet

Where did you order from? I'm wondering if I should keep an eye out for mine since I got my order from amazon and its on it's way here!

ozgameshop.com

I usually don't mind waiting an extra week for games I order from there considering the cost on new games is half the price it is at retail over here, but I'm pretty excited to get my hands on this.

ozgameshop.com

I usually don't mind waiting an extra week for games I order from there considering the cost on new games is half the price it is at retail over here, but I'm pretty excited to get my hands on this.

Am I the only one who read orgasmshop instead of ozgameshop?

Grrr...anyone else having trouble installing the game on the 360?

The game runs fine and the disc spins normally when playing, but when installing, in doesn't spin at all and instead sounds as though the disc is being read but not installing at all...or doing so slowly.

Grrr...anyone else having trouble installing the game on the 360?

The game runs fine and the disc spins normally when playing, but when installing, in doesn't spin at all and instead sounds as though the disc is being read but not installing at all...or doing so slowly.

Nothing to worry about.

I had the exact same thing. It will install and play fine.

Anyone notice the DLC that went up today? 80 spacebucks for a 10 quest-line that may or may not work when you buy it depending upon where you are in the main game. And 160 spacebucks for 8 new hairstyles. Yep. 8 hairstyles for 2 dollars. They held out 8 hairstyles and are charging you 2 bucks if you want them. Capcom earns all the hate they get. Seriously 2 dollars. No wonder they apologized in advance for this shit. Cancelled my Amazon order. I have a friend that bought it during the GR midnight thing last night. I'll borrow his when he's playing something else. I can't stand Capcom, but I want to play this, but I wont be buying it.

Klyka

Banned
Anyone notice the DLC that went up today? 80 spacebucks for a 10 quest-line that may or may not work when you buy it depending upon where you are in the main game. And 160 spacebucks for 8 new hairstyles. Yep. 8 hairstyles for 2 dollars. They held out 8 hairstyles and are charging you 2 bucks if you want them. Capcom earns all the hate they get. Seriously 2 dollars. No wonder they apologized in advance for this shit. Cancelled my Amazon order. I have a friend that bought it during the GR midnight thing last night. I'll borrow his when he's playing something else. I can't stand Capcom, but I want to play this, but I wont be buying it.

Because you not buying it totally sends a message regarding the DLC.

Thumbs up bro, more power to you.

So is there any indication that these DLC quests will add anything special to the game, offer unique rewards or are in any other way actually worth downloading other than to simply extend the gaming experience?

Klyka

Banned
I don't send messages. I save money. "Bro"

Ok. Ok.
So, the situation was as follows:

1. You had the game ordered on Amazon.
2. Your friend had the game picked up at a midnight launch.
3. You find out about this DLC and cancel your order.
4. You are going to get it from your friend once he's done and will play it that way.
5. You are saving money!

Ok, so, tell me again why you even ordered the game in the first place?
So you WANTED to play it, you WANTED to pay for it, you WANTED to play it NOW....
but then you saw the DLC and went "oooooohhhh nooooo I will not buy this now, no sir!".

You know, if I wanted to just save money, I wouldn't have ordered the game in the first place.

So is there any indication that these DLC quests will add anything special to the game, offer unique rewards or are in any other way actually worth downloading other than to simply extend the gaming experience?

This is how the DLC reads:

(1) The first 10 quests of the series, 'From a Different Sky.' Their goals are simple: obtain special medallions. But it will take all your smarts to get them all. Check the notice board below the Pawn Guild to begin! *Some quests may only be taken on or completed at certain points in the story, or with certain combinations of vocations and skills. *A maximum of 6 quests appear on each notice board at a time. Please clear a few if you don't see your new purchases right away. 80 points

(2) You and your main pawn will be fighting in style after you add these eight new hairstyles to your character customization tool, for a total of 48 different hairstyles. As an extra treat, the Mercedes-approved Captain's Armor will be added to the Black Cat's inventory, and your item storage to boot. Just look for the blue-green icon! *This bonus can only be applied once per saved data. If the items are discarded or given away during gameplay, they will be lost. 160 points

Ok. Ok.
So, the situation was as follows:
Your problem is assuming I care about sending a message. I don't. I already know that Capcom gets the message, thus their pre-emptive attempt to smooth things over by claiming they know the DLC in DD is ridiculous but they're trying to change. This is merely me choosing to still play a game I want to, but not paying for it directly. I couldn't care less if Capcom feels the effect of my non-sale. Charging for quests is fine, but I hate it because we all know they stripped them out. Lots of games do that now. So I still ordered it. The 8 haircuts for 2 dollar though, just did it for me.

Spazznid

Unless there's a picture out of those hairstyles, and it sucks, I'll be buying them. I'm a sucker for options, even if I may not ever use them. I own roughly 80% of the little big Planet dlc...

Edit*
...And I don't even play it anymore...

RPGCrazied

Just watched the GT review, they reviewed the 360 version, and my god the tearing is really bad. Unless they don't have the final build, how can someone enjoy that is beyond me. Still, the game looks awesome and can't wait to play it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just watched the GT review, they reviewed the 360 version, and my god the tearing is really bad. Unless they don't have the final build, how can someone enjoy that is beyond me. Still, the game looks awesome and can't wait to play it.

MT Framework is a hell of an engine, but it's been clear for a while that its performance on the current consoles is being maxed out.

On 360 it seems the last few MTF games have a lot of tearing to keep the framerate up but it's not as noticeable in the fighting games. I guess a game with a huge world and draw distance, like this one, reveals the hardware groaning.

RPGCrazied

MT Framework is a hell of an engine, but it's been clear for a while that its performance on the current consoles is being maxed out.

On 360 it seems the last few MTF games have a lot of tearing to keep the framerate up but it's not as noticeable in the fighting games. I guess a game with a huge world and draw distance, like this one, reveals the hardware groaning.

But the PS3 version doesn't tear. I guess it has sub 20 fps, which is fine to me. Least the image will look good. :)

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
Is the PS3 version's framerate just as bad as the demo? I really want to like this game, but I'm hoping they've managed to improve the fps at least a little bit from demo to retail release.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The ps3 version is 20fps? Might as well ship a disc shaped turd in how useful the game will be.

Already see people defending sub 20 fps...

Anteater

Is the PS3 version's framerate just as bad as the demo? I really want to like this game, but I'm hoping they've managed to improve the fps at least a little bit from demo to retail release.

Yeah, pretty much the same even in the prologue.

Is there a way to change hair styles in game? If not you would have to restart for that DLC hair cut

There's a barber shop in the city that lets you change haircut, I think you could change other stuff too

demigod

If you can't install it on 360, and you have the choice of PS3 get that one. Otherwise:

PS3 - framerate is pretty much the same as the demo. Low 20s at its best, teens when it gets bad

360 - tearing is as bad as the demo. Pop-in and framerate a problem during loads if not installed.

Go with whichever issue affects you less. Personally I despise a bad framerate so I'm going 360, which is good since I prefer achievements over trophies, and the PS3 controller is one I abhor.

Where is the *teens* from, or are you pulling this shit out of your ass?

So I've decided - I will be a badass Ranger.

I wanted to choose a class that few others are commiting to, A) because they all sound equally cool to me, and B) I'll be able to provide super-rangery insights. I love the possibility of my arrows pinning foes to walls and firing sky-obscuring volleys. I figure I'll make my main pawn a Warrior for better syngery. Great when a plan comes together.

Already see people defending sub 20 fps...

Apparently such low framerates doesn't faze them in the slightest. In fact I think they prefer it. I blame the slow acclimatization of worsening framerates being the norm this gen. :p

Anyway I really think it's a disservice to argue about such things before someone can release actual findings and not "my subjective > your subjective". Funny thing is when DF release their findings I bet no one wants to talk about it anymore. . . lol.

Pooya

I tried a bit of this today somewhere, I don't mind the ps3 framerate but pop-in is so terrible, stuff shows up right in your face :( , felt like a technical mess from an hour or so I played it. this needs a PC version not DmC :< I think I'll wait on this one see what happens later this year, too busy now anyway.

Derrick01

Banned
Apparently such low framerates doesn't faze them in the slightest. In fact I think they prefer it. I blame the slow acclimatization of worsening framerates being the norm this gen. :p

Anyway I really think it's a disservice to argue about such things before someone can release actual findings and not "my subjective > your subjective". Funny thing is when DF release their findings I bet no one wants to talk about it anymore. . . lol.

No one prefers 20 fps (which I still don't believe the full game is, it's probably 24-25 like the demo) but it's not life or death like some people like to pretend it is.

Karak

Turned the video mode to 720p, dunno if its snake oil or not but it seems to not as tear as much. YMMV

It is not snake oil but it also makes no sense whatsoever. But that is the way I played it and beat it and the tearing I have was far less than the GT trailer. I really can't explain it. But once it worked, explaining it stopped mattering:)

No one prefers 20 fps (which I still don't believe the full game is, it's probably 24-25 like the demo) but it's not life or death like some people like to pretend it is.

I prefer it over a game that pulls 60fps to its own detriment. A balanced experience where you can have your cake and eat it too would be ideal, but in the meantime I refuse to let such niggling issues hamper my enjoyment.

Plumpman

I think people are overblowing the slowdown on ps3, its definitely not sub-20 fps for the most part (that would be like blighttown levels, which its not). The only noticeable drop I've seen after about 3 hours of play is when it saves progress so far.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Funny thing is when DF release their findings I bet no one wants to talk about it anymore. . . lol.

That is because now people can make stuff up and add fuel to console wars with no data or evidence. I wish the console talk would go somewhere else and leave people to talk about the game. If anyone is seriously wanting objective info on the differences they are not going to find them here.

Where is the *teens* from, or are you pulling this shit out of your ass?

From people with the game who said it's the same as the demo, which had a framerate that dropped into the *teens*. So yes while shit does come from my ass, I am in fact not pulling any of it out presently. What a lovely conversation style you have.

So what are my options if I want to rapidly stab the fuck out of shit with daggers, or something? Is there basically a rogue class?

Rogue/ranger used bows and daggers.

When it's low enough that it affects my ability to aim smoothly, it's the difference between play and don't play. But that's what's great about multi-plats - if one version sucks, give the other a shot.

demigod

From people with the game who said it's the same as the demo, which had a framerate that dropped into the *teens*. So yes while shit does come from my ass, I am in fact not pulling any of it out presently. What a lovely conversation style you have.

When it's low enough that it affects my ability to aim smoothly, it's the difference between play and don't play. But that's what's great about multi-plats - if one version sucks, give the other a shot.

No it's not in the teens, why do you even care if you're not getting it at all? I thought you were done arguing about framerate/tearing in the last thread. Trying to call me out as a fanboy yet you're still doing this shit, lol.

Derrick01

Banned

I was able to aim just fine in the demo. Maybe your problem is on the user end?

No it's not in the teens, why do you even care if you're not getting it at all? I thought you were done arguing about framerate/tearing in the last thread. Trying to call me out as a fanboy yet you're still doing this shit, lol.

When you can talk like a big boy, we can have a conversation.

And for the civil among us, talked to my friend about the 360 version just now. Initially he didn't install it and he backs up what was said by Keza at IGN. During loads the game takes hits and the pop-in is bad. He installed and those issues disappeared. The framerate is consistent with the demo, and so is the tearing. He mentioned something odd about that install, like it didn't seem like it was installing, but eventually did and now runs fine from the HD.

I was able to aim just fine in the demo. Maybe your problem is on the user end?

Would be true if I also had an issue aiming on the 360 version. But it wasn't. Not claiming everyone is affected the same by low framerates as I am, but with this I definitely was. But again, at least there's an alternative.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Just got this on the PS3 after playing through the demo a few times. Where you people are getting that the frames suck on PS3 is beyond me. Granted there may be a few here in there in the bigger fights I think it's better than the demo by far...

I have no issues with it at all, I am wondering though if it makes a difference what PS3 you have? I have a slim PS3 about a year old and it's fine on here. It doesn't affect the game play mechanics at all for me. Sometimes I feel GAFers can be a bit hard on games when they are not 100% perfect to their liking. Just don't buy them than please..

Top Bottom