• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Sure.

I've been using these free level 72 and 110 Pawns from the Rift and its pretty crazy how they are free like that. Surely they should of cost more.

they cost millions of rift crystals.. but those are your friends pawns ..
unless you're talking about the special pawns made by capcom

Tomodachi

Yeah the fact that your friends' pawns are free regardless of their level is crazy. The first time I hired someone it was from the rift, a 50-something pawn from a friend, it contributed to the hard time of figuring out the whole pawn recruitment system (I didn't understand how I could hire a pawn that strong right away and for free). Then I swiftly dismissed it for good and never hired a pawn higher than my level.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
There's not too much I'd change about the game other than having to go all the way back to the main menu to reload a save... maybe some randomization of enemies. A NG+ that is actually harder.

And the warrior only having three skills equipped at one time. The warrior should have six. It was a serious oversight... and annoys the shit out of me when I play that class.

sublimit

Banned
And they should make it easier to equip arrows, I never tried ranger because I didn't want to bring up the menu to access some of the arrows you can craft, maybe make L1 a modifier for the dpad to change weapons/arrows.

maybe some randomization of enemies.

A NG+ that is actually harder.

And the warrior only having three skills equipped at one time. The warrior should have six. It was a serious oversight... and annoys the shit out of me when I play that class.

I also agree with those points.

Esura

Banned
they cost millions of rift crystals.. but those are your friends pawns ..
unless you're talking about the special pawns made by capcom

I don't think Capcom would make any high pitched mega lolis.

Wasn't aware of any of my friends played Dragon's Dogma. Helped me out a bit doing that sewer quest and that Lost and Found Witchwood quest. Might let them go as they are demolishing everything though before me and Phaia can go wreck stuff. They are so powerful they are one shotting enemies with their staff. :D

Probably use them again when I get stuck on something since they are my friend's pawn.

Yeah the fact that your friends' pawns are free regardless of their level is crazy. The first time I hired someone it was from the rift, a 50-something pawn from a friend, it contributed to the hard time of figuring out the whole pawn recruitment system (I didn't understand how I could hire a pawn that strong right away and for free). Then I swiftly dismissed it for good and never hired a pawn higher than my level.

Actually, I liked that in a way. Good way to provide assistance on some spots you have trouble with. Like summoning phantoms in the Souls games but 10x easier.

Sanctuary

Dragon Bone Smasher is fast and agile if used correctly. Just started a warrior in DD and it's really slow in comparison. Feels good though.

Could you explain how you make the slowest weapon in Demon's Souls "fast and agile"? Rolling? That doesn't actually change the swing speed of the weapon itself, so I'm not sure how that's applicable. Can you actually roll cancel with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuwKXE6_4d8
And they should make it easier to equip arrows, I never tried ranger because I didn't want to bring up the menu to access some of the arrows you can craft, maybe make L1 a modifier for the dpad to change weapons/arrows.

The arrows are annoying, but what is kind of nonsensical is having to put away your lantern, only to pull it back out if you're wet. It doesn't happen that much, but it happens enough early on to be irritating.

Also, what exactly does magic defense do? Does it cover all of the elemental and debilitation types? If so, does it simply reduce the damage or a chance for an effect? If it does, then what is the purpose of the elemental/debilitation resist gear that gives a flat percentage? Would it be something like, say you had 50% fire resist; you have a 50% chance to take no damage at all, and if that fails, your defense reduces the damage? Or would it simply first reduce the damage by 50%, and then your magic defense reduces it more?

More screenshots from Blackstone's adventures:

DragonsDogmaScreenshot_5-2_zpsaa5dc41d.jpg

My Pawn Titania - currently Mage, soon to be Sorcerer.

DragonsDogmaScreenshot_6-1_zps1c715fe0.jpg

Delving into darkness.

DragonsDogmaScreenshot_4-1_zps42abd151.jpg

Riding to Gran Soren in style.

Esura

Banned
Well you're right most of the special pawn capcom made are regular in term of height and apperance.. there are no loli in those

Ah, ok. Now I want to see how these Capcom pawn works.

I love this pawn system. I like looking at other people's pawns and renting them out and all that. Every pawn I rent out looks cool...so far.

I got a question though. I plan on making my main character an Assassin eventually which would make keeping my Pawn a Strider/Ranger kind of redundant. Is it viable to change the Pawn into a mage (or fighter) when the time comes? I don't think the starting stats would affect the characters that much would they?

Anteater

Or would it simply first reduce the damage by 50%, and then your magic defense reduces it more?

I just assume that's how it works, I only ever wear elemental resist gears since there are rarely any mages in the game, magic are easily avoidable since they give a warning before casting, while some mobs does fire attacks so I usually deck out on fire resistance at some point.

Ah, ok. Now I want to see how these Capcom pawn works.

I love this pawn system. I like looking at other people's pawns and renting them out and all that. Every pawn I rent out looks cool...so far.

I got a question though. I plan on making my main character an Assassin eventually which would make keeping my Pawn a Strider/Ranger kind of redundant. Is it viable to change the Pawn into a mage (or fighter) when the time comes? I don't think the starting stats would affect the characters that much would they?

No, not really. The only time you'll ever be hurting in your pawn's new role is when their rank is low and they only know a few abilities. Otherwise, look on the bright side: your future mage will have a shit-ton of stamina. Can't hurt.

And assassins and striders/rangers can fill different niches. Load out your assassin with a sword and bow, or a sword and shield.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Have to say this hard mode was a godsend... difficulty feels perfect atm.

I'm just using me and my one pawn, and we are both fighters... right around lvl 29 iirc. But playing without healers and having to rely on consumables, it feels slightly reminiscent of a jrpg where you have to pull up a menu to heal (use an item) or cast magic (equip a scroll)... it's very fun. Goblins are easy enough to kill in a few hits, but they can actually damage you! so it keeps even the goblin fight pretty entertaining. When you're impervious to taking damage the game gets boring. Now fighting wolves and goblins can get a little hairy which is great. The cave fight vs the lizard dudes was super fun.

Bandits are still a pain in the butt. haha. (Though being fighter class --shield-- makes them much easier, even on hard mode).

I think I'm gonna go mystic knight this playthrough and just keep to my pawn and I... been really fun so far. Hard mode has breathed some new life into it for me.

Sanctuary

No, not really. The only time you'll ever be hurting in your pawn's new role is when their rank is low and they only know a few abilities. Otherwise, look on the bright side: your future mage will have a shit-ton of stamina. Can't hurt.

And assassins and striders/rangers can fill different niches. Load out your assassin with a sword and bow, or a sword and shield.

Unless you don't care about your pawn's damage potential later on in the game (doesn't seem to matter as much before post-game), you shouldn't be switching from a magic based class to a physical one (or vice versa) unless it's extremely early, or extremely late (level 10 or level 150+). Pawns don't really waste stamina anyway, so loading one up with a bunch is rather redundant. The only reason to switch vocations like that would be to learn augments, and if you're in the earlier levels you would need to babysit your experience points closely so that they don't actually level up, just their vocations.

Have to say this hard mode was a godsend... difficulty feels perfect atm.

I'm just using me and my one pawn, and we are both fighters... right around lvl 29 iirc. But playing without healers and having to rely on consumables, it feels slightly reminiscent of a jrpg where you have to pull up a menu to heal (use an item) or cast magic (equip a scroll)... it's very fun. Goblins are easy enough to kill in a few hits, but they can actually damage you! so it keeps even the goblin fight pretty entertaining. When you're impervious to taking damage the game gets boring. Now fighting wolves and goblins can get a little hairy which is great. The cave fight vs the lizard dudes was super fun.

Bandits are still a pain in the butt. haha. (Though being fighter class --shield-- makes them much easier, even on hard mode).

I think I'm gonna go mystic knight this playthrough and just keep to my pawn and I... been really fun so far. Hard mode has breathed some new life into it for me.

I would imagine most flying enemies are annoying, and the phantoms will be nightmarish to deal with. As dual fighters anyway, not as an MK.

I really need some friends in this game with godly pawns

xbox 360

GT: Chosen Predator

What level are you? Experience gets drastically cut the higher the level a pawn is above you. If you don't care about that, then I suppose that's not an issue.

krakov

Could you explain how you make the slowest weapon in Demon's Souls "fast and agile"? Rolling? That doesn't actually change the swing speed of the weapon itself, so I'm not sure how that's applicable. Can you actually roll cancel with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuwKXE6_4d8

Did you watch the video you posted?
Running 2H and rolling 1H are plenty fast with almost no wind up and covers close to a full 360 angle. Compared to a lot of the other weapons in the game and big 2H weapons in Dark Souls it's really agile. With fast roll you can just zip around and annihilate, especially considering you will kill in one hit more often than not.

Anteater

I would imagine most flying enemies are annoying, and the phantoms will be nightmarish to deal with. As dual fighters anyway, not as an MK.

Worse is that the fighter launchboard skill is pretty useless since your pawn seems to grab on to a harpy instead of slashing it when you launch her into the air, lol.

For Phantoms you might be able to use those spell books I guess, but I've never used them before, it just occured to me that those actually exists...

Sanctuary

Did you watch the video you posted?
Running 2H and rolling 1H are plenty fast with almost no wind up and covers close to a full 360 angle. Compared to a lot of the other weapons in the game and big 2H weapons in Dark Souls it's really agile. With fast roll you can just zip around and annihilate, especially considering you will kill in one hit more often than not.

Of course I watched the video, and there's absolutely nothing at all in it that validates your claim about the weapon itself being "fast and agile". The recovery is terribly slow. Watching the video for more than two minutes will show anyone all that they need to know about that weapon. The reason the Warrior in DD might feel more sluggish is simply because they don't have the ability to roll around. Again though, that's not the weapon animations at all. I think the other difference is that the Warrior seems to have a much slower startup than recovery, which is kind of the opposite with the DBS.

But yeah, I guess if you're one-handing it, it's going to be faster than two-handing something like a LSoM or whatever, but the comparison here should only be on two-handed gameplay since that's how the Warrior operates in DD.

Esura

Banned

Assassin's can have a shield too?

Unless you don't care about your pawn's damage potential later on in the game (doesn't seem to matter as much before post-game), you shouldn't be switching from a magic based class to a physical one (or vice versa) unless it's extremely early, or extremely late (level 10 or level 150+). Pawns don't really waste stamina anyway, so loading one up with a bunch is rather redundant. The only reason to switch vocations like that would be to learn augments, and if you're in the earlier levels you would need to babysit your experience points closely so that they don't actually level up, just their vocations.

So I should just keep my pawn focused in the Strider/Ranger/Fighter/Warrior stuff since I started her with Strider?

And how do vocations level up anyway? Me and my pawn is at level 12 before getting to Gran Soren and our vocations goes up constantly.

Assassin's can have a shield too?

So I should just keep my pawn focused in the Strider/Ranger/Fighter/Warrior stuff since I started her with Strider?

Yep, assassins can be kitted with daggers, swords, bows, and shields.

Your pawn's stat growth so far will be geared towards the "rogue" archetype, but if I recall your pawn was only level 12 last time I used her - there's still plenty of time to change vocations if you really want to.

In my experience, DD has never demanded that level of min-maxing from the player, not even on Hard. The only fight I can think of where damage potential matters is against Ur, and even then having pawns in that fight in the first place is a liability.

Esura

Banned
Yep, assassins can be kitted with daggers, swords, bows, and shields.

Your pawn's stat growth so far will be geared towards the "rogue" archetype, but if I recall your pawn was only level 12 last time I used her - there's still plenty of time to change vocations if you really want to.

Cool. I liked Assassin because I can be powerful as a Warrior but with a bow. First time I popped in DD I picked Strider for my main because I figured Assassin was like an evolved class of that but other people told me to pick Fighter.

But since you said I could still keep my pawn as a Strider or a Ranger even as an Assassin I might just keep her geared towards that stuff. Or maybe make her a Fighter.

EDIT: Your PSN is your user name right?

Anteater

I've actually never used those ballistas much in this game... they're pretty strong, just killed the 2 cyclops and all the goblins with it in shadowfort.

dragonsdogmascreensho9wjko.jpg

oh hai ogre

dragonsdogmascreenshopxkyt.jpg

Sanctuary

In my experience, DD has never demanded that level of min-maxing from the player, not even on Hard. The only fight I can think of where damage potential matters is against Ur, and even then having pawns in that fight in the first place is a liability.

Ok, I'll agree with this; in regards to pawns at least. If you plan on fighting Ur, then min/maxing (or at least a decent focus) matters for the player. Pawns on the other hand I suppose won't actually make or break anything up until the end. Still, I would think that it's better to keep them focused instead of swapping vocations just because you'll end up with a strange mix of stats that don't make that much sense.

A Mage or Sorcerer pawn that you decided to switch to a fighter after 50 levels? They will have pretty nice damage with enchanted weapons, but they will fail at everything else. Not that pawns are especially fantastic as it is, but it kind of matters more for people who are just starting to play it and aren't soloing yet.

And how do vocations level up anyway? Me and my pawn is at level 12 before getting to Gran Soren and our vocations goes up constantly.

I'm not really sure how the vocations level up, but it seems like you get experience for using your skills and abilities. I don't believe you actually get anything towards your vocation from quest rewards, or by simply standing around while the pawns kill everything (could be wrong about that), although you do get discipline points.

Here's a pretty good source of info: http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon's_Dogma_Wiki

You can easily see what stats your character would get per level up while being a specific vocation.

Also, having an extra dagger/bow user in the group isn't a bad approach at all. At least not if your character is one, although I doubt I'd bother with having two archer type pawns out of the three you can bring. Would take down most enemies fairly easy, but just like going fighter/fighter; enemies requiring some kind of magic attack to beat would be annoying.

sublimit

Banned
I've actually never used those ballistas much in this game... they're pretty strong, just killed the 2 cyclops and all the goblins with it in shadowfort.

I never tried the ballistas to kill the 2 cyclops in Shadow Fort but i did tried with the ones near Bloodwater beach and it took me ages so i gave up. :p

I never tried the ballistas to kill the 2 cyclops in Shadow Fort but i did tried with the ones near Bloodwater beach and it took me ages so i gave up. :p

They're useful for at least disarming the cyclops before you engage them. Or, in the case of armored ones, dismantling their armor.

Anteater

damn, that grab from the drake one shots me

Edit: stop climbing it you stupid fuck strider, I don't want to raise you everytime you die from the fall!

dumb, it keeps staying at the same spot and flying up and down, oh well, easy kill. Next time drake!

krakov

Of course I watched the video, and there's absolutely nothing at all in it that validates your claim about the weapon itself being "fast and agile". The recovery is terribly slow. Watching the video for more than two minutes will show anyone all that they need to know about that weapon. The reason the Warrior in DD might feel more sluggish is simply because they don't have the ability to roll around. Again though, that's not the weapon animations at all. I think the other difference is that the Warrior seems to have a much slower startup than recovery, which is kind of the opposite with the DBS.

But yeah, I guess if you're one-handing it, it's going to be faster than two-handing something like a LSoM or whatever, but the comparison here should only be on two-handed gameplay since that's how the Warrior operates in DD.

While I agree rolling/running has nothing to do with the actual attack animations the DBS will encourage rolling/running since you'll want to use moves bound to those actions. And the moves I mentioned are comparable in wind up to many generally faster weapons.

I'll agree to disagree.

sublimit

Banned
I seriously hate the spastic camera when i try to climb on enemies.I'm battling more with the camera than the creature itself. Hope they fix that shit for the sequel.

Sanctuary

I seriously hate the spastic camera when i try to climb on enemies.I'm battling more with the camera than the creature itself. Hope they fix that shit for the sequel.

What do you mean? The only time I've had any problems is if an enemy is bucking around near a wall. In the more open areas not so much. I do have issues actually telling exactly where my character is in relation to the enemy though if I'm under their neck trying to reach a specific spot (since sometimes your character doesn't seem to move in the exact direction you wanted them to move), but the camera hasn't actually been spastic for me yet. Knock on wood...

Anyway, there's a lot that they need to fix. It still suprises me how much fun I've had with the game though despite it's issues.

Oh, and as an aside; I still can't get over the missed cue when they give this phrase: "And some weapons can be further enhanced...with their aid". It's completely missing context and they just randomly spout that as though you were already talking about an armorer. It seems to happen the most when you're walking past Caxton, but they don't actually point to him, they just spout the phrase. That single phrase really bugs me every time they say it.

I'll agree to disagree.

Sure. It's just my opinion anyway, and all I was really trying to say was that the DD Warrior felt like playing a character using a big and slow two-handed weapon from Demon's Souls (whichever weapon you prefer to use to fill in the blank). Although they still aren't as mobile unless you count sprinting.

Dresden

Best part about the warrior is just pushing a big hunk of steel through a packed group of enemies. Or hitting Arc of Deliverance on the final boss's weak spot. XD

sublimit

Banned
What do you mean? The only time I've had any problems is if an enemy is bucking around near a wall. In the more open areas not so much. I do have issues actually telling exactly where my character is in relation to the enemy though if I'm under their neck trying to reach a specific spot (since sometimes your character doesn't seem to move in the exact direction you wanted them to move), but the camera hasn't actually been spastic for me yet. Knock on wood...

For ground based enemies it's as you describe.But when you climb on flying enemies (Griffins,Dragons,Wyverns) i just can't control the camera at all.For example i'm trying to make my character climb on the Griffin's neck from the side of its belly and then camera points in the opposite direction by its own and makes my character climbing to the opposite direction too.

It's especially bad when you're trying to climb the Ur Dragon.Sometimes his wings block my view point completely and i can't seem to make the camera move where i want it to be.

Anyway, there's a lot that they need to fix. It still suprises me how much fun I've had with the game though despite it's issues.

I feel exactly the same.The game had lots of flaws but it also had lots of great aspects and In the end i felt that the positives outweighted the negatives by far.
All in all i think it was a great first entry but i have major expectations for the sequel as long as they don't try to force some MP system...Personally i hope they try to expand and improve the pawn system instead.

Esura

Banned
I'm not really sure how the vocations level up, but it seems like you get experience for using your skills and abilities. I don't believe you actually get anything towards your vocation from quest rewards, or by simply standing around while the pawns kill everything (could be wrong about that), although you do get discipline points.

Here's a pretty good source of info: http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon's_Dogma_Wiki

You can easily see what stats your character would get per level up while being a specific vocation.

Also, having an extra dagger/bow user in the group isn't a bad approach at all. At least not if your character is one, although I doubt I'd bother with having two archer type pawns out of the three you can bring. Would take down most enemies fairly easy, but just like going fighter/fighter; enemies requiring some kind of magic attack to beat would be annoying.

So I could like spam my moves until I get the vocation levels higher without fighting? That's really funny if so.

So far right now its just me as a fighter and my pawn as a strider and I just rent mages. I primarily use my strider as a bow user. Since I have her as a Mitigator she goes after all the weak ones first with Ensnare, which is kind of funny. She never take much damage compared to me, but I guess it's expected I take more damage since I'm a fighter. But it's nice to know that my MC and my pawn are ok as bow users as I want her to be a ranger and my MC an Assassin since it seems more fun than a fighter. That probably means I'd need to rent out Fighter pawns though as a tank.

maomaoIYP

So I could like spam my moves until I get the vocation levels higher without fighting? That's really funny if so.

That's not how vocations rank up. Each enemy killed gives a specific amount of vocation exp that goes to ranking up. Certain quests give vocation exp as well. Vocation exp is not dependent on the difficulty of the enemy, for example, you might think the Ur-dragon gives tonnes for it's difficulty, but it actually doesn't. The best way to level vocations in post game is to kill the guards in gran soren, they are very weak, infinitely respawn, and give decent amount of vocation exp. They also can't climb, so just hop on the wall outside the gran soren church, and let your pawns do the work while you go do something else.

Sanctuary

That's not how vocations rank up. Each enemy killed gives a specific amount of vocation exp that goes to ranking up. Certain quests give vocation exp as well. Vocation exp is not dependent on the difficulty of the enemy, for example, you might think the Ur-dragon gives tonnes for it's difficulty, but it actually doesn't. The best way to level vocations in post game is to kill the guards in gran soren, they are very weak, infinitely respawn, and give decent amount of vocation exp. They also can't climb, so just hop on the wall outside the gran soren church, and let your pawns do the work while you go do something else.

I wasn't suggesting that you simply spammed abilites without hitting anything. I suppose I should have simply said that you get vocation experience from combat. It also doesn't seem like you ever actually get any vocation experience from quest rewards in general. If you do get any, it's rare. This is so easy to test too, since you can switch to a new vocation that you have no ranks in, and turn in enough quests to net you 100k player experience and your vocation won't budge. Similar to how with hard mode you gain much more experience per kill, yet your vocations take as long as they did on normal to level up.

Esura

Banned
Thanks for the gifts guys! Bow looks sick.

Wouldn't killing guards affect your morality?

Claude

Catalina's bitch
So I just got to the point where
I'm about to be granted an audience with the Duke. The guard said that to make sure that all of my quests were complete before I see the Duke.

How far am I in the story? It feels like I just started.

ultron87

Newbie question: Is there a good way to tell if I'm the appropriate level for some specific quest? It seems like sometimes on go on one and it is super easy, while at other times I get wrecked by a monster in the woods before I've even gotten to the marker. Do I pretty much just need to remember where stuff is dangerous and not go to those areas for awhile?

I'm still pretty early in the game, level 15 or something?

Newbie question: Is there a good way to tell if I'm the appropriate level for some specific quest? It seems like sometimes on go on one and it is super easy, while at other times I get wrecked by a monster in the woods before I've even gotten to the marker. Do I pretty much just need to remember where stuff is dangerous and not go to those areas for awhile?

Absolutely not. It's something we all had to get a feel for when we first started. Certain quests are made available to you way earlier than you're probably prepared for them - they're not impossible to undertake, but they may require quite a bit of skill and/or smart thinking from the player to accomplish. For example, the bandits on the way to the Witchwood during Lost and Found are considerably stronger than you at the point where you first get the quest. Same with a few early-game escort quests that send you to the Shadowfort.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If I want to switch over to Sorc, when do you think would be a good time too? I was thinking of rocking then Sorc+Sorc+Mage+Tank.

I think the uncertainty over that stuff is actually a conscious game design decision on the part of the devs; I'm pretty sure they wanted you to feel a certain degree of peril at all times when travelling (especially at night). Even when you have a rough understanding of where the various monsters spawn, you'll still need to keep your wits about you at all times.

I got the game last week, I'm 28 ish right now? Anywho

You can lose your main pawn if they were KOed and you got separated right?

Does dialogue change if your male or female? The wife of the duke seems really friendly. Maybe she's just being nice *raises eyebrow*

maomaoIYP

I got the game last week, I'm 28 ish right now? Anywho

You can lose your main pawn if they were KOed and you got separated right?

Does dialogue change if your male or female? The wife of the duke seems really friendly. Maybe she's just being nice *raises eyebrow*

Throwing your pawn off a cliff and never touching a riftstone is how you can play the game pawnless.

No.

Top Bottom