• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Izick

Can't speak for the PS3 version, but I've heard it has low framerate. I have the 360 version and it looks good and plays very smooth. I haven't had a framerate issue yet. There is some screen tearing, but nothing that's bothered me very much.

Hmm, I see. I read the OP, but I wasn't sure if the demos' problems carried over to the retail game versions.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Hmm, I see. I read the OP, but I wasn't sure if the demos' problems carried over to the retail game versions.

360 version here. Runs pretty smooth with lower framerate in big towns when network is loading and spawning player pawns (understandable). Tearing is kind of random, not often terrible. Besides vsynch and framerate stutter in PS3 version, PS3 supposedly also has less pop-in of distant objects like trees, and destructible items.

Karak

Without fanboying it up, which version (PS3 or 360) runs smoother and looks better? I just saw a video for the game, and had no idea it was the type of game it was, definitely intrigued.

I have beat the 360 version and played now over maybe 20 hours of the PS3. I have played the same bits side by side as well.

FPS-
PS3 has lower average FPS
360 has higher average FPS but screen tearing at times(strangely very little during battle *confused face*
360 version SOMETIMES appears to minimize screen tear if changing to 720p output as this is an MT framework game. Doesn't work for all.

Pop-in
PS3 and 360 have pop-in. 360's is worse unless you install then its identical.

Install effect-
PS3 was thought to not install. It doesn't have a normal install it has a silent cache install(possibly the cause of crashes as it may be silently installing when a game is autosaving but not sure)
360 can be installed(DO IT)

Crashes-
PS3 has crashed on me 3 times and various reports are it very occasionally does this
360 has not crashed

Foliage and landscape-
PS3 has slightly lower foliage counts(Can be seen in various videos)
BOTH have flickering shadows

Go with the controller you like or the friends list that makes the most sense.

Astra

Ran into a whole group of Saurians (Those lizard men with spears), about six of them. Tough foes, but I managed to kill them. My main pawn seems to do massive amounts of damage compared to me.

Filth

You can still finish it even if you don't save him, I believe.

To get to the bandit camp,
take the path like you're headed to the Witchwood, after you crest the hill, the road forks left and right; left to the Witchwood and right. Take the right path until you see some castle ruins.

I believe that's where I went. If the second location you
Mentioned is all the way north if you follow the road and cross the river. I searched every treasure chest with no luck. I did find a chimera though that decided to enrage with 10% health and kill me lol.

owlbeak

I believe that's where I went. If the second location you
Mentioned is all the way north if you follow the road and cross the river. I searched every treasure chest with no luck. I did find a chimera though that decided to enrage with 10% health and kill me lol.
It's not north. The bandit camp is in the south. You'll know you're there because you have to
scale a very large tower
to get the chest.

You may want to hire a pawn that has knowledge of that quest and they will let you know where to go.

Izick

I have beat the 360 version and played now over maybe 20 hours of the PS3. I have played the same bits side by side as well.

FPS-
PS3 has lower average FPS
360 has higher average FPS but screen tearing at times(strangely very little during battle *confused face*
360 version SOMETIMES appears to minimize screen tear if changing to 720p output as this is an MT framework game. Doesn't work for all.

Pop-in
PS3 and 360 have pop-in. 360's is worse unless you install then its identical.

Install effect-
PS3 was thought to not install. It doesn't have a normal install it has a silent cache install(possibly the cause of crashes as it may be silently installing when a game is autosaving but not sure)
360 can be installed(DO IT)

Crashes-
PS3 has crashed on me 3 times and various reports are it very occasionally does this
360 has not crashed

Foliage and landscape-
PS3 has slightly lower foliage counts(Can be seen in various videos)
BOTH have flickering shadows

Go with the controller you like or the friends list that makes the most sense.

Thanks for that, Karak. I think I'll go with the 360 version, as I prefer the controller, and all my friends have 360's.

I've died a few times for straying off my path but so far it hasn't been frustrating, it's more of a "I can't wait until I'm strong enough to fuck this up!" kind of feeling. I love it.

Karak

Thanks for that, Karak. I think I'll go with the 360 version, as I prefer the controller, and all my friends have 360's.

No probs. That's the best bet. Because the pawns and their social aspect is actually pretty fucking cool.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Did anyone who went to Witchwood go into that cave before the bandits? I was terrified of it...but I'm the goddamn arisen and THE WIND IS PUSHING MEEEE into it, I'm going to fuck everything up in it.

Teknoman

I went into the cave, beat down everything there. Just make sure you have some poison curing items.

Question about pawns though, can they use special arrows like burst, poison, oil, etc? Also should I equip hired pawns from other people, or just wait until they upgrade themselves?

Am I the only one who just left the bandits at Witchwood and came back at night? They're replaced by like a thousand wolves but I thought it was better than fighting the bandits with the impenetrable shields. lol

Sure as hell was a scary trek through the woods, though.

joe2187

Banned
Alright I just finished an exscort mission to the shadow fort, only to find out that I cant enter it yet...woopty doo. It was a miracle I made it there, that lookout post with the res stop was a lifesaver I was scared shitless I was gonna get trapped in the darkness.

3 and 1/2 hours later, 3 dead cyclops, a chimera and an endless horde of goblins I defeat the Giant stone golem and all my daylight has vanished....what oh what am I going to do.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

So much of that was anecdotal or just guesswork (silent installs?), I hope people understand it is not objective or scientific. And how did you play 20+ hours of two versions of the game when the game has been out one day? Did you play release code?

Papercuts

So much of that was anecdotal or just guesswork (silent installs?), I hope people understand it is not objective or scientific. And how did you play 20+ hours of two versions of the game when the game has been out one day? Did you play release code?

The PS3 one does 'silently' install. The console problably sounds like a plane taking off for awhile, it's installing while you play and takes up 4.5gb.

I went into the cave, beat down everything there. Just make sure you have some poison curing items.

Question about pawns though, can they use special arrows like burst, poison, oil, etc? Also should I equip hired pawns from other people, or just wait until they upgrade themselves?

I'll try giving pawns special arrows next time I play. I would think it'd work.

Im a Strider soon to be Magik Archer...

What should my main pawn be? Fighter or Sorceror?

I like to have a balanced team. I'm on my way to shaping up my Strider to be a Magick Archer. My main Pawn is a Mage at the moment, and I'm going to hire a Warrior and another Mage/Sorcer to specialize in offensive Magick.

Teknoman

I've given her a ton of em, but my problem is I cant tell if she's actually using them...or if she has to learn how to use them through experience...or something.

Also if a pawn picks something up in your game and you dont remove it from their inventory, does it go to your deposit when you send them back, or do they take the items back to their owner?

How and when do I change/switch vocations? I already
made it to Gran Soren

Go to the inn.

Papercuts

How and when do I change/switch vocations? I already
made it to Gran Soren

The Inn IIRC.

I've given her a ton of em, but my problem is I cant tell if she's actually using them...or if she has to learn how to use them through experience...or something.

Also if a pawn picks something up in your game and you dont remove it from their inventory, does it go to your deposit when you send them back, or do they take the items back to their owner?

I doubt it's a skill required thing, since the pawns are all in other player's games being used, and there's no skills needed to use them. Unless I'm missing something. :p

Pawn items go to your deposit when you remove them.

Papercuts

So I have to talk to one of those dudes I guess. I only spoke to the guy who offers the skill stuff.

The Inn in Gran Soren does everything. You can sleep, set skills, learn skills, change vocation, etc. There's not a seperate person needed to set skills like there was in the encampment.

Grisby

Hours fly by when your playing this game. It really is that engrossing. Couple of questions though:

1)How do I share my pawn? Is she in the rift when I'm not playing, etc?

2)When I dismiss one of my pawns I take it they 'take' everything in their inventory with them?

3)I know there's one or two of you guys that have finished the game. Is it worth upgrading things or were you just buying you're weapons?

Hours fly by when your playing this game. It really is that engrossing. Couple of questions though:

2)When I dismiss one of my pawns I take it they 'take' everything in their inventory with them?

3)I know there's one or two of you guys that have finished the game. Is it worth upgrading things or were you just buying you're weapons?

1. Your Pawn and its current stats gets uploaded to the server if you rest at an Inn. Your Pawn will be at the Rift even if you aren't playing.

2. Yes.

Karak

Nope I have played it via our local gamestore owner who is shut down this week and had copies of the game early last week and beat the 360 version in 3 sittings then moved to his PS3. Being friendly with your local gamestore owner can be a boon as can only sleeping 3-4 hours on any given night. This was all explained and walked through in the beginning of the thread and then in almost every post I have made.

Yes the silent install has already been identified please read the thread or understand how the PS3 can do a silent install. Its already been verified by dozens of PS3 players it is a fact. Are you not reading the thread? I have spoke about this ad nauseam with posters and they too have verified it. It is not a normal install that you choose its a silent install.

And almost all the posters in here since the beginning have discussed that what we see is what we are getting right now without technical tools.

What is your exact problem? When someone asks what version to get are we not allowed to give answers due to our experience and best reasonings? You seem to have an issue when this comes up and since its been backed up with others it seems the problem is with you and not with the dozens of posters posting our experiences.

Grisby

1. Your Pawn and its current stats gets uploaded to the server if you rest at an Inn. Your Pawn will be at the Rift even if you aren't playing.

2. Yes.
Thanks. Er, so if I ever want my pawn in the rift I have to rest and quit at the inn? Or can I play with my pawn while...she's still in other peoples parties (I know, this makes no sense)?

Hmm conflicting answers...

In terms of equipment you give rented Pawns, they take those with them when they get dismissed.

Is my pawn still available online while my Xbox is off? Or only when I'm playing?

I can see the Pawns of my PSN friends at the Rift even if they aren't online. Once you upload your Pawns to the server before you turn off your game, they're going to be in Capcom's servers even if you're offline or online.

Thanks. Er, so if I ever want my pawn in the rift I have to rest and quit at the inn? Or can I play with my pawn while...she's still in other peoples parties (I know, this makes no sense)?

Just rest at an inn and your Pawn will get uploaded to the Rift. Other players can hire your Pawn even if you are currently playing.

Kyon

Banned
How does the Springboard skill work? I got it for my main Pawn but I haven't gotten it to work. its supposed to launch allies in the air using the shield.

Karak

1 Go to the inn and sleep it uploads

2 They disappear but leave items in your inventory. I don't know if its a bug but sometimes I would have some items in my inventory and some gone. I could never track why.

3 I love the upgrading. I have a spreadsheet I made comparing the upgrades level 3 versus the next weapon up and this is one of the first games where many times an upgrade is VERY close to that next weapon. 1 or 2 I found were actually over. So moneywise it actually makes sense to upgrade some. I think that is one of the small touches they made on the game really. To make upgrading WORTH IT!

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Just changed to assassin without really planning ahead and am gonna have to farm goblins for a while to get some of the skills i've been waiting for. But godamn.. LOVIN this game. Had a few run ins with some higher level bandits that caught me off guard jumping out of a house on my way back to GS. Barely managed to get out alive and flew through 2 levels for my effort.

After getting familiar with the city and opening up
the hunt
I just packed on as many missions as i could at one time and am now working my way through them. Just finished getting to the hill with the Arisen thing scared into the side of it out of trailer and ran into my first Cyclops. Was nervous and saved and thought about and cleaned out every other enemy in the area before I started in on it ... and then just WRECKED the son of a bitch! 3 perfect eyeball shots with the full draw and then worked my way up his back till i was just under his neck, popped a potion and then decapitated that big guy. for a bar and half at least I was just cutting away at him in this same spot while my pawns kept him distracted. Was glorious.

If my daughter wasn't demanding elmo out of my big screen right now i'd never leave this game. Naps soon little one. Naps soon....

How does the Springboard skill work? I got it for my main Pawn but I haven't gotten it to work. its supposed to launch allies in the air using the shield.

Your pawn should prompt you when the need arises, and all you have to do is get near them and they'll launch you automatically.

lunchtoast

Anyone do the Watergod's Altar quest? I was in the cave earlier and opened all the chests, then I got the quest and went back, now there's just a red mark where an empty chest sits, and I can't do anything.

Karak

Just changed to assassin without really planning ahead and am gonna have to farm goblins for a while to get some of the skills i've been waiting for. But godamn.. LOVIN this game. Had a few run ins with some higher level bandits that caught me off guard jumping out of a house on my way back to GS. Barely managed to get out alive and flew through 2 levels for my effort.

After getting familiar with the city and opening up
the hunt
I just packed on as many missions as i could at one time and am now working my way through them. Just finished getting to the hill with the Arisen thing scared into the side of it out of trailer and ran into my first Cyclops. Was nervous and saved and thought about and cleaned out every other enemy in the area before I started in on it ... and then just WRECKED the son of a bitch! 3 perfect eyeball shots with the full draw and then worked my way up his back till i was just under his neck, popped a potion and then decapitated that big guy. for a bar and half at least I was just cutting away at him in this same spot while my pawns kept him distracted. Was glorious.

If my daughter wasn't demanding elmo out of my big screen right now i'd never leave this game. Naps soon little one. Naps soon....
A little bit of alcohol:) Puts them right now. JK.

Mutombo

How does this game compare with Amalur? I just finished that, had fun, but I finished it more because I just wanted to get it over with than that i really cared for anything in the world. Skipped most of the dialogue to get it on, just wanted to play, I guess.

The gameplay in DD looks so much better though, and I've heard the story is as skippable as in Amalur. To me that's not a bad thing per se, as long as the world feels alive and fun enough to get me going. I just want to get better in RPG's, kill and find stuff, and so on.

Well, yeah, I'm just wondering what your verdict is so far?

Karak

How does this game compare with Amalur? I just finished that, had fun, but I finished it more because I just wanted to get it over with than that i really cared for anything in the world. Skipped most of the dialogue to get it on, just wanted to play, I guess.

The gameplay in DD looks so much better though, and I've heard the story is as skippable as in Amalur. To me that's not a bad thing per se, as long as the world feels alive and fun enough to get me going. I just want to get better in RPG's, kill and find stuff, and so on.

Well, yeah, I'm just wondering what your verdict is so far?

Good question. I never thought of comparing them. I only played a couple hours of Amalur but I would say DD is pretty different in some major ways(pawns, the worlds difficulty, night and day). But Amalur was technically more adapt at delivery(less weird bugs or just badness).

Also it is similar in that the setting(fantasy) and ways of attacking and all that. But DD's animation is WAY better. Man its got some sweet animation.

Also DD just does seem more alive and random. I mean it still has obvious spawn points and such but the mini-bosses and so forth really add a great deal to that feeling of being in a wider world.
Well if you want to get better in RPG's, kill and find stuff, and so on then this may be the game for you:)

Raptomex

I can see the Pawns of my PSN friends at the Rift even if they aren't online. Once you upload your Pawns to the server before you turn off your game, they're going to be in Capcom's servers even if you're offline or online.
Oh, good. I'm at work. Hopefully she's gaining experience.

Top Bottom