• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

I have beat the 360 version and played now over maybe 20 hours of the PS3. I have played the same bits side by side as well.

FPS-
PS3 has lower average FPS
360 has higher average FPS but screen tearing at times(strangely very little during battle *confused face*
360 version SOMETIMES appears to minimize screen tear if changing to 720p output as this is an MT framework game. Doesn't work for all.

Pop-in
PS3 and 360 have pop-in. 360's is worse unless you install then its identical.

Install effect-
PS3 was thought to not install. It doesn't have a normal install it has a silent cache install(possibly the cause of crashes as it may be silently installing when a game is autosaving but not sure)
360 can be installed(DO IT)

Crashes-
PS3 has crashed on me 3 times and various reports are it very occasionally does this
360 has not crashed

Foliage and landscape-
PS3 has slightly lower foliage counts(Can be seen in various videos)
BOTH have flickering shadows

Go with the controller you like or the friends list that makes the most sense.

I doubt you noticed the foliage difference when playing. I couldn't even see it when switching between the two versions on my TV. What I could see and what you don't even mention is the blurriness of the 360 version.

That happened to me, as well, so it may be intentional (or just a horrible bug). I got him down to about 3/4 HP and then my pawns were just like, "Victory is ours!" and he was gone. I was like "WTF?" lol

I was down the corridor when this happened so I didn't see it. It took me a moment to realize what happened. "Do one of my pawns have an epic, secret attack capable of killing an Ogre instantly?! .......or did he just fall?"

Karak

I doubt you noticed the foliage difference when playing. I couldn't even see it when switching between the two versions on my TV. What I could see and what you don't even mention is the blurriness of the 360 version.

I wouldn't have written it if I hadn't. And since I have steered people to both platforms for various reason its not just wishing. We did a side by side along the first encampment walking from the small broken down wagon towards a group of rocks.
Played them side by side both on at the same time.. And that was also in the youtube previews. In fact the video was talked about here, maybe in the demo thread with one of the hundreds of videos? BUt I posted because I had noticed, and other posters had asked me to run them side by side to compare various things. At the time I might have been the only one able to do that posting at the time. But the video just sort of backed that up. But you are right its barely noticeable as I stated in the post.
The blurriness seemed to be on both versions as reported here by others too(and me already more than once but the first time on page 17) and thats good you mention and can respond when people ask just like many of us are doing. I try to get as much data in as possible about what I see, you can certainly run them side by side and post comparisons as well. Its not like I am the only one seeing this stuff or saying that both versions have their issues.

Random question: I play on a PS3 that occasionally gets brief glimpses of connectivity to a nearby wi-fi signal, but in no way is it reliably connected. I basically operate under the assumption that I'm playing offline at any given time.

So I was surprised to see my main Pawn return from some faraway adventure when I awoke at an inn, not once, but three times so far in my 20 hours of play. She always returns with items and RC.

Now I've never been connected long enough to even look at other players' pawns, and my Pawn doesn't have any ratings despite seemingly having been used three times. Is this just something that randomly occurs during offline play, or is my Pawn actually being used by people?

joe2187

Banned
Random question: I play on a PS3 that occasionally gets brief glimpses of connectivity to a nearby wi-fi signal, but in no way is it reliably connected. I basically operate under the assumption that I'm playing offline at any given time.

So I was surprised to see my main Pawn return from some faraway adventure when I awoke at an inn, not once, but three times so far in my 20 hours of play. She always returns with items and RC.

Now I've never been connected long enough to even look at other players' pawns, and my Pawn doesn't have any ratings despite seemingly having been used three times. Is this just something that randomly occurs during offline play, or is my Pawn actually being used by people?

Pawn data is uploaded everytime you sleep at an inn. That data is used until your pawn progress is updated again, your pawn is useable any time after that no matter if your connected or not.

Karak

I was down the corridor when this happened so I didn't see it. It took me a moment to realize what happened. "Do one of my pawns have an epic, secret attack capable of killing an Ogre instantly?! .......or did he just fall?"

I have had a couple random goblins leap to their death as well. One goblin didn't die and just kept making his attack and snarly sound:) But I didn't waste time going to find him. I envision him still being there just sad that he is alone.

Has anyone done the "venture forth" quest with
Quina? Do you get to Prayer falls from the capital, or the long way near Witch woods?

Pawn data is uploaded everytime you sleep at an inn. That data is used until your pawn progress is updated again, your pawn is useable any time after that no matter if your connected or not.

Ah. I'll try to time my inn visits during windows of connectivity, then.

Any reason why she's not rated, or is that just something lazy people like to skip out on?

Wallachia

One of my gripes, the auto-save SUCKS, so if you forget to manually save while playing, you can be potentially screwed on the 3 hours you just spent running cross-country.

What determines an auto-save?

Karak

One of my gripes, the auto-save SUCKS, so if you forget to manually save while playing, you can be potentially screwed on the 3 hours you just spent running cross-country.

What determines an auto-save?

Ya the autosave at times seems wildly unfair and other times perfect. I have lost 1 or 2 hours then the next time lost like 20 seconds.

Dresden

Would you guys recommend this game? I'm a big fan of rpgs, but I felt that the demo wasn't a good enough representation. Combat felt good, and I like the climbing and pawn features. Just want to make sure the game as a whole is worthwhile.

All I can say is I'm loving it.

Would you guys recommend this game? I'm a big fan of rpgs, but I felt that the demo wasn't a good enough representation. Combat felt good, and I like the climbing and pawn features. Just want to make sure the game as a whole is worthwhile.

Go for it. The game has a lot to offer in terms of challenge, and the Pawn system is awesome.

The game as a whole exceeded the expectations set forth in the demo. Combat gets a lot better as you gain more abilities and better gear.

Karak

Yes. It is a great game. As I was posting earlier, it has technical issues, but those don't outweigh the amazing stuff. Its a rough gem, but a gem nonetheless.

LProtag

I'm having tons of fun with it right now. Love the combat and class system.

Karak

Man its so great hearing so many people enjoying this. I hope it sells well. I would love a slightly technologically refined sequel. Its awesome.

abundant

Go for it. The game has a lot to offer in terms of challenge, and the Pawn system is awesome.

What I like a lot about this game is that you can choose you own difficulty, sort of. If you want a challenge, go to new areas and hire pawns that are at or below your level or don't hire them at all. If you don't want a stiff challenge, stick to areas you know you can handle, level up, and hire pawns that are at a higher level then you.

Dresden

Alright, guess I'm taking the plunge. Minor technical problems aren't a big deal.

New question then, what is a good class role to play as? I'm usually fond of magic, but for some reason the archery in the demo stuck with me. I know you can change at anytime, but I like to stick with one for some reason.

magic archer obv

Karak

Alright, guess I'm taking the plunge. Minor technical problems aren't a big deal.

New question then, what is a good class role to play as? I'm usually fond of magic, but for some reason the archery in the demo stuck with me. I know you can change at anytime, but I like to stick with one for some reason.

Ya they aren't. Go get the sucker and join us sir!

I played through with a very typical fighter myself. I know...boring. But not really.

LProtag

Magick Archer then.

Magic archer and let there be no doubt. Magic arrows with the flexibility of an assassin.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Really whatever appeals to you. You become absurdly powerful whether you stick to a pure standard class or go hybrid. Magic Archer is a fine choice, but pure Ranger is also a killing machine.

So are Rift Crystals only used for hiring higher leveled pawns and at that one store in the camp? because I don't really want higher level pawns and the stuff at the camp was really only necessary if you want to remake your character/pawn...I'm set in that regard but I have tons and tons of RC.

Just did the quest for the pawn guild and had an interesting experience with one of the enemies:
tried beating the cyclops three times since i was so under leveled. the fourth time he just jumps off the edge and dies. Free 5000 experience for me!

also (same quest):
how long did it take people to figure out you were supposed to be running away from the tentacles? I stayed down there for a LONG ASS TIME chowing down on health items before i decided to try running away.

That depends. Magic Archers can't use the custom arrows and the Strider and Ranger classes have better bow skills. Of course the Magic Archer bow skills have a lock on feature which makes hitting moving enemies a breeze.

Magick Archers has a skill that fires Light arrows. That alone is pure win for the night and caves.

Oni Jazar

I've got both games and on A-B comparisons I also get the 360 version significantly blurrier. What resolution are you set at? I've got my 360 on VGA connection and tried 1920x1080 and 1360x768.

Karak

I've got both games and on A-B comparisons I also get the 360 version significantly blurrier. What resolution are you set at? I've got my 360 on VGA connection and tried 1920x1080 and 1360x768.

I am personally using HDMI and have it at 720p. With the TV crap all set to default. The stupid stuff like smoothing and game mode crap. Mine looks pretty much exactly like the lens of truth comparison when it comes to sharpness on both systems. I mentioned it on page 17 of this thread originally but it got a bit cleaner when I switched to HDMI.

Grisby

I've never played an archer in any game. Doing it now and having a blast. I'm all stabby-stabby and then FIRE ARROWS. Good stuff.

Also, the menu music has now moved me from cringing to laughing hysterically.

Even better! i'll have to check back more frequently. god knows i'll always have a reason to run back there since those bandits off to the right of the woods can still kick my ass.

I am currently exploring under a waterfall. goodness it is dark in here.

Water-God's Altar? I'm afraid to go in there. Not because of what I'll find, but because I'm afraid it's associated with a quest I haven't accepted yet and it'll get thrown out of whack.

Water-God's Altar? I'm afraid to go in there. Not because of what I'll find, but because I'm afraid it's associated with a quest I haven't accepted yet and it'll get thrown out of whack.

that. . . would make sense as i cannot open this door for the life of me. I have been traipsing around in here for quite awhile

Karak

i already made my HUBBY Robb Stark as my main pawn sis. and Daenerys is my character hehe

I made an almost perfect Waylander from the David Gemmel books and Allanon as a Pawn from Shannara. The creator is just amazing.

Astra

i already made my HUBBY Robb Stark as my main pawn sis. and Daenerys is my character hehe

I was going to make Strong Belwas as my pawn, but there isn't a gut big enough. So I made Chie from Persona 4, instead. She ended up looking more like Rebecca from Resident Evil. Anime characters are pretty hard to make in a more realistic form, especially the eyes and nose. Still, I think she turned out pretty good.
Of course I was sure to make her stance and such pretty masculine, but not overly so. haha.

RPGCrazied

I should get it this weekend. :) Any tips for a first timer? Also, when you take a screenshot, it just puts them in your photo album? I'm getting the PS3 version.

Wallachia

Does anyone play as a fighter/warrior?Is it really the hardest class to master?

I'm still a Fighter. Nad some of the higher level abilities are bad ass, like Flesh Skewer (love that)!

And my pawns are:
-Sorceror
-Mage
-Archer

So they cover the distance and give my sword Fire, Holy power, etc so I can close in. Fucking awesome.

Top Bottom