• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Any one try the combining and crafting? I don't know what the benefits are. Feels so obtuse.

Also, how can I get my pawns to eat herbs to restore their health bar back to full?

Combining is easy, just store a bunch of items in a storage and combine stuff from there. Gather lots of materials everywhere you go - you'll need them! Curatives are a must in this game so make as many as you can.

As for giving Pawns curatives - I tried giving them a few things, but sometimes they'll use it and sometimes they won't. >_>

Kyon

Banned
whether or not the red circle is there, that bandit camp and the tome are almost certainly still in that spot. wander down there without it and see if you can grab it. It's exactly the same route to the witchwood, but forks to the right slightly before hitting all that fog.

Warning though, bandits are all over the place there. you don't have to fight the bandit leader and his crew for the tome though- if you can climb the tower you can walk right out with it.

oh ok. ill head to Gran Soren and make preperations thanks :) ill let you know if I'm stuck

Slayven

Combining is easy, just store a bunch of items in a storage and combine stuff from there. Gather lots of materials everywhere you go - you'll need them! Curatives are a must in this game so make as many as you can.

As for giving Pawns curatives - I tried giving them a few things, but sometimes they'll use it and sometimes they won't. >_>

Does combining make buffs?

LProtag

I just went to the Bluemoon Tower to fight that sorcerer who stole the ring. Finally killed him after dealing with all the goddamn archers everywhere, my pawns were like "let's head back and tell everyone what happened" and I went "ugh screw this" and used a ferrystone.

I left the ring there.

Goddammit.

The only pawn chat thing that really annoys me is that they can't tell if you're approaching or leaving a place. You walk away from Gran Soren and they say "We'll be nearing Gran Soren soon!" etc.

Earlier in the thread I talked about how I couldn't seem to grab & throw bandits and someone suggested stunning them first. I think a Fighter can stun people with a shield bash, but I'm a Strider and I don't know how to stun anyone. Is there a skill I need?
I think any hit that staggers them a bit (like that dashing strike forgot what it's called) will do the trick. It's just easier as a fighter since they do have specific skills for staggering purposes. Also, you can hold them down on the ground for the same effect so any knock down attacks are good too.

Grisby

Witchwood is awesome. Tons of great atmosphere. Dat mist. Can't wait to go back and investigate some unsettling sounds I heard.

Also someone gifted me a rock, but a special rock that needs two other pieces to complete.

Karak

The only pawn chat thing that really annoys me is that they can't tell if you're approaching or leaving a place. You walk away from Gran Soren and they say "We'll be nearing Gran Soren soon!" etc.

Hahahahaha. Man so true. I swear mine were so confused and also EXCITED about seeing Gran Soren that they just kept pointing it out for the entire hour I spent running around outside just farming for stuff. It was like a bunch of kids wanting to go to Disneyland!

Salz01

If I liked kingdoms of amalur, but got burned out half way through, would this game keep my interest? Or is it apples and oranges? I'm on the fence. Played the demo which I thought was fun and great. If it can keep that up through out the game Ill be good and get it. I'm concerned about over questing and getting burned out of it. If that even makes sense.

Dresden

If I liked kingdoms of amalur, but got burned out half way through, would this game keep my interest? Or is it apples and oranges? I'm on the fence. Played the demo which I thought was fun and great. If it can keep that up through out the game Ill be good and get it. I'm concerned about over questing and getting burned out of it. If that even makes sense.

Game doesn't feel like a dead MMO and the combat isn't piss easy.

I don't think anyone can answer that completely yet as it just came out... I mean, im sure someone will try, but how could we possibly know if we are gonna get burnt or not?

I will say this though. I liked Reckoning. A lot. The first 30 hours or so were amazing. But, like you, I got into sidequest-hell and it killed the game. I still haven't finished it.

The start of dragon's dogma shows much more promise than the start of reckoning did. There's certainly more varied things to do and the simple act of exploring is awesome - where in reckoning it wasn't. So based solely on the early parts of both games, DD seems like a better game.

But who knows, in a month I may have a log of 100 quests and put the game on my shelf and never finish it. Impossible to say, really.

I liked Amalur but I got burned out on that game as well. I just think KoA was just lifeless to me, but it had fun combat. In Dragon's Dogma, you've got Pawns with you and the Pawn system is a dynamic feature so you'll be switching out Pawns often to suit your level. I also think the enemies are much more interesting and deadly in DD.

1stStrike

Banned
I think any hit that staggers them a bit (like that dashing strike forgot what it's called) will do the trick. It's just easier as a fighter since they do have specific skills for staggering purposes. Also, you can hold them down on the ground for the same effect so any knock down attacks are good too.

As a strider you can stagger opponents with the powerful single shot bow attack (I forget the name off hand). It knocks smaller enemies back like 10 feet and sends them onto their asses. If you shoot a cyclops from afar in most cases they'll drop their club and then you can attack a (much subdued) cyclops with little worry of him being able to actually damage you.

Karak

I have beat it. It keeps up through the game right to the end. I mean that. RIGHT to the end.
If you are hedging just rent or Gamefly it. I keep telling people who are on the fence that they don't have to lose out on 60 bucks. Gamefly the darn thing and enjoy:)

So last night, I combined a chunk of iron with a blank scroll and it gave me plans for a spear...but I have no idea where to use it...or how. : /

Also...anyone find any "knowledge" scrolls about monsters? I got one for saurians and how to fight them. I gave it to my pawn to hold. Do we need to hold onto those for a reason or are they just there acting as an FYI?

Two more random snippets from Falx's adventures...

DragonsDogmaScreenshot_1.jpg

This harpy dropped me to my death a few seconds later - that's what I get for trying to ride it.

DragonsDogmaScreenshot_2.jpg

Ensnare is an invaluable skill.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Hahahahaha. Man so true. I swear mine were so confused and also EXCITED about seeing Gran Soren that they just kept pointing it out for the entire hour I spent running around outside just farming for stuff. It was like a bunch of kids wanting to go to Disneyland!

Running south out of the Encampment to farm rogues over by their camp "If we head north on this road we'll reach Grand Soren before nightfall!"

I gave my tv a stewie head turn.

in case any other Assassin's out there would like to benefit from my knowledge :
If you don't wanna go intimate strike style... get the Tusk toss - wait for them to hit the floor and stinger - rinse repeat.
I have yet to really make the powder blast work effectively. I think once I managed to accidentally end up slightly behind and underneath a cyclops and was like ... well ok... planted it and bailed. Did decent damage for not even being the advanced version but unless the 2nd level of it is just insanely strong i think the gamble you take with setting it up in one spot and then possibly not having the enemy get close enough to it ... not worth the skill slot.

And still ... 5fold shot is godamn SO usefull. With a mage in your group to light your arrows up it takes all of 3 seconds to light up a cyclop's weapon arm. With the quick knocking as well I can burn through my entire stamina bar (which is increasingly impressive as levels rise) in no time at all which quickly translates to close to 40 arrows. It's insane.

LProtag

I'm loving the whole duplicating thing.

Got double quest rewards once by giving the same item to two different people. Now I'm going to duplicate that ring and keep it because it says it decreases spellcasting time.

I liked Amalur a lot, but even with changing specs I got bored. Mostly due to the fact the difficulty in the game is severely broken. The combat in DD is similar but also limited in much the same way as Amalur. You'll repeat the same tactics and attacks over and over, which I imagine at some point is going to start to bore me and its already clear the story cant engage me, but as long as it doesnt become a cakewalk like Amalur, it should hold my attention until the end.

So where are the Amazon pre-order weapons located in-game?

Innkeeper at the start had storage, my 3 weapons were in it.

1stStrike

Banned
It's foggy, it's dark and there are ghosts. .

How does an strider or fighter deal with ghosts?

enchanted weapons or magic or..as mentioned...after they attach to a pawn.

Aye. Get a mage in your party that can enchant your weapons, or buy the daggers from Meridia (Merilda? I never spell it right) in the capital. They're like 22,500 gold, but WELL worth it. It's like 270 physical damage and I think 325 or 375 fire damage. Daggers are fucking awesome, plus they look amazing.

fallingdove

I'm loving the whole duplicating thing.

Got double quest rewards once by giving the same item to two different people. Now I'm going to duplicate that ring and keep it because it says it decreases spellcasting time.

Yes.. What is this fantastic duplicating thing? I saw something that it has to do with Gran Soren.

Top Bottom