• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

so looks like everyone is enjoying this game? this thread has been steadily active and i don't see too much negative feedbacks. am i correct that the consensus is this game is good?

nataku

I finally beat the bandits along the way to the witchwood quest with a Lv24 fighter pawn I hired. Even then I had to just run back and forth reviving everyone when they went down and eventually we killed the bandits.

I hope Capcom adjusts pawn quest AI. It's awesome I can bring pawns with quest knowledge to give me info and lead the way... but not when they lead the way by running one hundred feet ahead of me straight into a group of bandits. Hopefully that was just a rare case and doesn't happen too often. I really don't want to be forced to hire pawns over twice my level just to get through quests because dumb AI keeps getting me killed.

so anyone else moved from xbox to ps3 version have comments? is it just minor slowdown (vs 360) but zero tearing?

the tearing got to me so I just bought the PS3 version, though wont be able to try it out until tommorow AAAAHHH work and outside commitments suck

just did the same move today. slowdown is a tad more than the xbox (noticeable but once you're used to it no biggie), but zero tearing, thank god. I was so glad when i popped that disc in and the screen held up.

EDIT:

macfoshizzle said:
so looks like everyone is enjoying this game? this thread has been steadily active and i don't see too much negative feedbacks. am i correct that the consensus is this game is good?

good game that is rough around the edges. this game stays afloat on gameplay, so know it going in.

How does ranger compare to magic archer? I'm thinking about maybe trying to go daggers now too...hmm

I just switched to Ranger. Seems like the longbow offers more concentrated damage but requires more accuracy (than Magic Archer). I don't know what the higher level skills are like yet. One cool Augment extends the radius of your lantern. I was pretty happy about that.

The game is great. The positives outweigh the negatives by a long shot. I recommend you to start reading this thread from the page when the game got released until the end. There is plenty of information to be read.

Apeboy

I finally beat the bandits along the way to the witchwood quest with a Lv24 fighter pawn I hired. Even then I had to just run back and forth reviving everyone when they went down and eventually we killed the bandits.

I hope Capcom adjusts pawn quest AI. It's awesome I can bring pawns with quest knowledge to give me info and lead the way... but not when they lead the way by running one hundred feet ahead of me straight into a group of bandits. Hopefully that was just a rare case and doesn't happen too often. I really don't want to be forced to higher pawns over twice my level just to get through quests because dumb AI keeps getting me killed.

There needs to be a retreat order on the directional. The come command just doesn't do it.

I just switched to Ranger. Seems like the longbow offers more concentrated damage but requires more accuracy (than Magic Archer). I don't know what the higher level skills are like yet. One cool Augment extends the radius of your lantern. I was pretty happy about that.

This is the Ranger right here. There are some nice skills like the one where you can charge up 1 single arrow and fire a devastating shot, a skill that can pin enemies up to a wall with a multitude of arrows and so on. They sound real nice but the Magick Archer skills are so much better that it is hard not to pick that one over the Ranger vocation.

Parts of it are really good (combat, leveling system). But major parts of it are also really really bad (story, graphics(bad framerate on PS3, bad tearing on 360), quest system, NPC dialogue, lack of fast-travel makes things feel really tedious at times).

1stStrike

Banned
My pawn just got another 5 / 5 / 5 rating from someone and got me 4,300 RC from one dude. A ton of people made mages, so if you have a hardcore tank pawn like I do I think you're pretty much set. He's a beast of a tank at this point and I even found a shield out in the wilds that you can't buy at the capital for him. Got all of his gear upgraded to 3 stars as well <3

Arcteryx

By the way, I think my question about treasure chests was overlooked in this thread a day ago. Can anyone confirm it?

Do treasure chests respawn? I swear I looted all the chests on the shores outside the first village and when I returned from the Witchwood wrap-around/shortcut they were all unopened again. If this is true (and I didn't test it yet) do the chests always have the same items in them or are they random?

They do. Some seem random, others seem to always hold a certain item.

ced

There needs to be a retreat order on the directional. The come command just doesn't do it.

Yeah it sucks, it changes their AI for all of a couple seconds. I've found just hauling ass away and then hitting it and keep on running brings them away.

Karak

It is more than the sum of its parts which is somewhat rare for a game. It is good, very good. It has some technical issues across the board, but it seems like everyone is enjoying the game.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, the RC earned from your Pawn's questing, is that from people paying the RC to rent your Pawn, or gained during those people's questing, or both?

Think I've only gotten about 100 RC combined in 2 days from Nick Saban. Seems like people don't like Nick Saban.

Nick Saban.

He's Short, and he's angry.

Should have made him into a small female with giant boobs.

mollipen

I hope Capcom adjusts pawn quest AI. It's awesome I can bring pawns with quest knowledge to give me info and lead the way... but not when they lead the way by running one hundred feet ahead of me straight into a group of bandits. Hopefully that was just a rare case and doesn't happen too often. I really don't want to be forced to higher pawns over twice my level just to get through quests because dumb AI keeps getting me killed.

Yup—I found it utterly hilarious whenever this would happen, because I can't believe they'd even consider such a thing a good idea. There really need to have more control over how your pawns behave on a regular basis.

abundant

Questions:

Can I change my main pawns vocation?

Does it make sense to be a Magick Archer and have my main Pawn be a Mage?

Yes and Yes (I'm doing it). Word of advice for you pawn mage, focus more on Support skills like healing, Holy and Fire enchantments. That's what people look out for when renting mages. If they wanted attack power, they would look for a sorcerer instead.

Klyka

Banned
So, the RC earned from your Pawn's questing, is that from people paying the RC to rent your Pawn, or gained during those people's questing, or both?

Think I've only gotten about 100 RC combined in 2 days from Nick Saban. Seems like people don't like Nick Saban.

Nick Saban.

He's Short, and he's angry.

Should have made him into a small female with giant boobs.

I have gotten 10000 crystals in just 1 day and my pawn is only level 16.
I think you get crystals depending on how much you do with the Arisen who rented your pawn.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yup—I found it utterly hilarious whenever this would happen, because I can't believe they'd even consider such a thing a good idea. There really need to have more control over how your pawns behave on a regular basis.

Some pawns are "pioneers"... they have the annoying tendency of moving too far ahead.

Yes and Yes (I'm doing it). Word of advice for you pawn mage, focus more on Support skills like healing, Holy and Fire enchantments. That's what people look out for when renting mages. If they wanted attack power, they would look for a sorcerer instead.

Sweet. That's what I want out of my Mage pawn. Support.

Two more questions.

I am playing as a strider and am level 8, I think. I also have maybe 3 vocation rank things. When do I get to change my class to Magick Archer, and when doing so, do I start over at level 1 and lose those vocation rank things?

What are those red vocation rank things? Do I get them with normal experience, or do they mean something different.

Sorry, I'm a noob.

abundant

Two more questions.

I am playing as a strider and am level 8, I think. I also have maybe 3 vocation rank things. When do I get to change my class to Magick Archer, and when doing so, do I start over at level 1 and lose those vocation rank things?

What are those red vocation rank things? Do I get them with normal experience, or do they mean something different.

Sorry, I'm a noob.

1. You can change vocations once you are level 10. 1500 DP to unlock magic archer.

2. Those are your class ranks. Each class has 9 ranks. You rank up based on how many DP you get. DP comes from fighting monsters and doing quests. As you rank up in the class, new abilities are offered to you to unlock. Class Rank does not reset when changing classes.

Any one try the combining and crafting? I don't know what the benefits are. Feels so obtuse.

Also, how can I get my pawns to eat herbs to restore their health bar back to full?

Moofers

Anyone buy the "Coiffure You Can't Refuse" DLC that has the Captain's Armor in it? I'm really curious to see what that looks like, but google yields no results. My guy could really use some new armor and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger, but I don't want to buy an ugly armor set no matter how much it makes things easier.

creid

Earlier in the thread I talked about how I couldn't seem to grab & throw bandits and someone suggested stunning them first. I think a Fighter can stun people with a shield bash, but I'm a Strider and I don't know how to stun anyone. Is there a skill I need?

Kyon

Banned
HELP! I need help with A Troublesome Tome.
So I went to the place where the female bandits are and the leader looked my way and started attacking before I could talk to her, she had the red box on top her head too, but anyway I had to kill all the girls. Where is the Grimiore? I think its glitched or something cause idk where to go. I opened the gate too

Salaadin

Witchwood at night was soooo stressful and I got lost so many times. Comepletely excellent.

It was horrible.

At one point, I swore I heard some kind of giant walking around. I couldnt see him and he never attacked me but I swear, he was there. I dont even know if there are any giant creatures in that area but in my game, there was. I was so freaked out.

Wallachia

So I went to the place where the female bandits are and the leader looked my way and started attacking before I could talk to her, she had the red box on top her head too, but anyway I had to kill all the girls. Where is the Grimiore? I think its glitched or something cause idk where to go. I opened the gate too

Speaking of, I found the Grimiore, and used it by accident. Fucking hell.. Though the meteor shower it created was fucking sick!

It was horrible.

At one point, I swore I heard some kind of giant walking around. I couldnt see him and he never attacked me but I swear, he was there. I dont even know if there are any giant creatures in that area but in my game, there was. I was so freaked out.

Ha! I swear I heard something massive walking around as well. Never saw it though.

Do quests change? I swear I did that quest and I believe all I had to do was rescue a guy near the starting encampment and then go to a bandit camp in a broken down castle. The lead bandit told me I would have to kill him to get the book, if I had enough mettle. So I did, and the book was located in a chest on top of the tower.

joe2187

Banned
Everytime I start the game now, I wait at the Main menu screen...and Then I push Load Game at the right moment to hype myself up for my quests...

THE WIND IS PUSHING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Wallachia

I have gotten 10000 crystals in just 1 day and my pawn is only level 16.
I think you get crystals depending on how much you do with the Arisen who rented your pawn.

I got the game early and my pawn was in a fair shape by the time the game officially launched. I got 57000 Rift crystals in one Inn stay. So awesome! My PSN ID is Untaken1. I forget my dude's name but he is a Sorceror, has a full black robe and hood, and that gnarly tree-branch looking staff. Hit him up ;)

you're in the wrong bandit camp. The male bandit camp all the way south next to the witchwood is where the book is.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I really wish this game had the "Make your helmet invisible" option that Amalur does. Because most of the helmets look like total garbage. =/

Also, I've now gotten five friends to get Dragon's Dogma. Maybe more. Capcom owes me. :lol

Wallachia

I really wish this game had the "Make your helmet invisible" option that Amalur does. Because most of the helmets look like total garbage. =/

Also, I've now gotten five friends to get Dragon's Dogma. Maybe more. Capcom owes me. :lol

Ha. Yeah, I only found 2 cool helmets so far. One with upside down bull horns and full face coverage, and one that is like a traditional square shaped full head cover. I rock those.

Kyon

Banned
you're in the wrong bandit camp. The male bandit camp all the way south next to the witchwood is where the book is.

but that's the way I went at first and the red circle disappeared so I went all the way up north to the other camp. now there are no circles to guide me :(

so what now? lol

whether or not the red circle is there, that bandit camp and the tome are almost certainly still in that spot. wander down there without it and see if you can grab it. It's exactly the same route to the witchwood, but forks to the right slightly before hitting all that fog.

Warning though, bandits are all over the place there. you don't have to fight the bandit leader and his crew for the tome though- if you can climb the tower you can walk right out with it.

I enjoy this game but there are some very annoying things with it.

For instance, and I'm sure i'm not the first to mention this in this thread, I just fought against a couple packs of dudes where the weakness was to "slay the tail." On the last one I decided to count. The AI told me to "slay the tail" or some variation of that 28 times.

TWENTY EIGHT TIMES! The entire fight couldnt have been more than 2 minutes. It was basically every few seconds one of them would say it. Sometimes two would say it at the same time. And the thing was, I was slaying the tails.... I chopped every single one off. I can kinda see that if I was struggling the AI would tell me over and over until I did it. But after cutting off 3 of 6 tails in like a minute I think you can shut the fuck up about cutting it's fucking tail off.

Gah. And this is after telling my pawn to STFU every time I sit him in that chair.

Top Bottom