• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

*dons n00b hat*

Ok, just started the game. Wandered off to the first encampment north, got my first Main Pawn and did some of the training the one fellas there offers. Went to rest and fought some crazy ass Hydra that went rampaging through. I (somehow) defeated it at only Lvl 4 fighter, and now trying to wander about completing some of the quests I learned of in Cassardis, but I get ravaged trying to fight wolves, or those croc-looking things in the well. Seems like I can't do much other than fight goblins.

What's recommended for me at this point? Any quests or things I should be doing instead?

Thus far, I have basic purchased equipment from the Cassardis main shop.

I also tend to avoid strat guides and online walkthroughs. So that won't be an option for me.

Help me, Dogma-GAF!!! :)

Do you have three pawns yet?

Get three pawns. Make sure one of them is a sword and board fighter and the other is a mage-healer type.

You'll make progress from there.

theDeeDubs

I think my favorite aspect of this game is the FFT/XI vibe I get where I want to max every vocation for my main and pawn. Switched to Magick Archer last night from Mystic Knight and I'm enjoying it much better. Blocking has been very hit or miss for me. Sometimes it feels responsive and satisfying, but the amount of times I'm swarmed from all sides makes it feel useless other times. It's a problem of either easy mode autoblocking from all sides or dealing with some weird hit detection. I plan to come back to MK when I have the gear to make him the porcupine I wanted him to be.

I also made some party adjustments and dropped Rook. I was hanging on to him thinking he would go away from story progression. After getting annoyed with constantly picking his ass up from one-shottings, I noticed he was 11 levels lower than me--oops. My new MA, Mage, Fighter, and Ranger party started ripping up what was giving me problems earlier. The AI of two mages in the party didn't seem to work as well and having a pawn be the tank for taunting seemed to do wonders. I kept focusing on fighting instead of taunting when I played as a Fighter/MK.

Sorry for being wordy because I usually don't gush too much about games. But damn I'm hooked on this. Anyone get paranoid at the retry options? I find myself second guessing which one to pick due to the descriptions being a little off. Reminds me of Dead Rising's.

Edit* I've been giving every pawn rotted meat lol. I'm such a stingy hoarder at the start of a game like this. Saving up all my gear just in case since I want to max every vocation

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm gonna start this game this weekend. As someone who gets easily turned off by a ton of management stuff, and little/no RPG experience, any starting recommendations?

I know that probably makes it sound like it's not a game for me, but I'd like to give it a shot, since the combat looks interesting.

Picking fighter at the start might be the easiest. And there's not a lot of the kind of management common in these games.

You don't assign skill points and such. XP increases your primary character level, that boosts base stats. Your current vocation also goes up in level, that unlocks abilities. You just assign whatever abilities you wish to experiment with using.

You can tweak the behavior of your primary pawn if you like. But otherwise the game is pretty direct. Comparing it to a game like Elder Scrolls, I'd venture this is much more like a Zelda game with a more open world, than a stat crunching RPG. Focus is on exploring and fighting.

Most of the fiddly stuff is in collecting materials from the environment and using them to create items. And thinking about what armor and weapon to equip.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm gonna start this game this weekend. As someone who gets easily turned off by a ton of management stuff, and little/no RPG experience, any starting recommendations?

I know that probably makes it sound like it's not a game for me, but I'd like to give it a shot, since the combat looks interesting.

You're probably not going to like it.
I'm already annoyed by that part of it, and having select and start buttons be separate menu screens.

despire

Asking for a third time, could someone please answer?

So is there any difference with Pawns sex, height, muscularity etc. regarding their abilities in combat? I was planning on making a female warrior but should I make some tall and muscular guy if I want her/him to be a better tank?

Edit:
Read the OP more thorougly and apparently I was remembering right. Is there a large difference if I make a semi-muscular chick warrior or some huge dude?

Picking fighter at the start might be the easiest. And there's not a lot of the kind of management common in these games.

You don't assign skill points and such. XP increases your primary character level, that boosts base stats. Your current vocation also goes up in level, that unlocks abilities. You just assign whatever abilities you wish to experiment with using.

You can tweak the behavior of your primary pawn if you like. But otherwise the game is pretty direct. Comparing it to a game like Elder Scrolls, I'd venture this is much more like a Zelda game with a more open world, than a stat crunching RPG. Focus is on exploring and fighting.

Most of the fiddly stuff is in collecting materials from the environment and using them to create items. And thinking about what armor and weapon to equip.

I'd mostly agree, only with a few exceptions:

The stat management is mostly brain dead- you don't have to worry about whether to pump strength or dexterity for your given class for instance, but these pawns seem to need constant attention.

The AI isn't that great, so managing their inventory so they can heal themselves in an emergency is a must, and since they don't level up you're constantly switching pawns out for new stronger pawns- being sure they have decent equipment and a proper skill mix for your party if so.

it's a different "kind" of management, but management nonetheless.

You're probably not going to like it.
I'm already annoyed by that part of it, and having select and start buttons be separate menu screens.

This also. these menu screens are madness

So is there any difference with Pawns sex, height, muscularity etc. regarding their abilities in combat? I was planning on making a female warrior but should I make some tall and muscular guy if I want her/him to be a better tank?

Only your actual class has anything to do with your starting stats.

Good question. I'm not sure I have paid enough attention to that to be able to answer it accurately.

Games these days tend to steer away from "gender differences" but this game can be a little bit granular at times so it's possible. The best advice I can give you would be to try out two different games and compare?

blurrygil

Do you have three pawns yet?

Get three pawns. Make sure one of them is a sword and board fighter and the other is a mage-healer type.

You'll make progress from there.

Have two right now. One is my created strider with the other being Rook. I take it my next should be a mage, then?

Looks like I should be off to Gran Soren, then.

Are there any other side quests or places I should explore before heading off there? Anyone recommend things to accomplish while in Cassardis?

Cheers for the help thus far!

despire

I was just wondering since the OP says:

Because size, length, and weight plays an important role in the combat, it is advisable to sit back and consider the ramifications of each choice during the creation process. A large, heavyset character will have trouble climbing trolls and mountains, whereas an small nimble character will struggle to use heavy armor and weaponry.

It would be nice to know if a girl warrior would be useless as a tank when compared to some huge and muscular guy before starting the game tomorrow

Fighting a Drake and a dozen goblins at level 20 is...

*takes out all three of my pawns in one strike* O_O

FUCKING RUN

Also, anyone else wish the pawn commands on the dpad were replaced by an item quick-select?

It would be nice to know if a girl warrior would be useless as a tank when compared to some huge and muscular guy before starting the game tomorrow

My female main pawn is a warrior and she tears ass on anything less than a Drake so far.

Dresden

I think stat gains outweigh most physical attributes before long, just play what you want.

The game doesn't specify gender having anything to do with it, only build- and you can make some VERY beefy looking women. If you're asking if the slim/slender type is going to make as good a tank as a built male warrior, then no.

You'd have to make a built, barrel chested female for this to work. And as mentioned above, big characters can't scale as well, arent as nimble, etc so there are drawbacks.

Karak

The only real issues I could see you having is mixing ingredients doesn't have a guide. Its try and see. But you can't fail which is nice. So lots of clicking on the "combine" button until you have some basic mixtures.

Whatever class you have at some point you will want someone as a pawn who is opposite your strength, ranged for a fighter, fighter for a range and of course magic is amazing as well.

Controlling your minions is a general help, go forward to attack, and come back, style of setup.

Get accustomed to the menu's as things like special abilities are sort of hidden away from where you would expect them to be.

#1 suggestion. Always have oil for your lamp.

Being a Magick Archer is bad ass! Magick-based melee attacks? Hell yes. I love the stylish moves a there's a spinning attack where my Arisen will jump in the air and stab the ground with two daggers, then a fiery explosion sets up. The Magick Bow is nice too since it has lock-on features, and powerful as hell with its Sixfold Arrow homing attack. I'm one-shotting goblin bosses and
Saurians
at this point. However, I know that something is going to kick my ass and bring me back down to Earth. That's what's awesome about this game - you suck and get your ass kicked, then come back later one-shotting fools. Instant gratification.

vg260

Thanks for the advice, folks. Worst case, I trade it back in for a small loss. Figure it's worth a shot venturing out of my genre comfort zone. Yeah, I might hate it, but who knows, it might suck me in. I just haven't touched anything in this genre for years, so I dunno. This looks like the game for me to give a shot.

Thanks for the advice, folks. Worst case, I trade it back in for a small loss. Figure it's worth a shot venturing out of my genre comfort zone. Yeah, I might hate it, but who knows, it might suck me in. I just haven't touched anything in this genre for years, so I dunno. This looks like the game for me to give a shot.

I'd still put Dark souls way, WAY over this, but it's not a bad game. Fans of the genre would have no issue plunking down $60 for it, but for someone who's not really into RPG's it's probably more of a "wait and see."

vg260

I'd still put Dark souls way, WAY over this, but it's not a bad game. Fans of the genre would have no issue plunking down $60 for it, but for someone who's not really into RPG's it's probably more of a "wait and see."

Heh, well I already bit at Amazon for a $10 credit and early RE6 demo.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Maybe I'll give Dark Souls a try sometime in the future. Was put off by it's supposed "difficulty" that people have talked about.

Karak

Anyone tried both small and big character for 2h sword and know whether there's a speed difference?

I did back a couple days ago when we thought their might be.
It appears there is one but I bet you there isn't. The games animation is really damn good and though it seems like its slower I don't think it is and its just a perception thing. I used the smallest woman and a very muscular man, removed all items from inventory and had them with the barest clothes and the starter sword.

Maybe I'll give Dark Souls a try sometime in the future. Was put off by it's supposed "difficulty" that people have talked about.

Dark Souls is a game that I had to prepare for. I mean that, time-wise and mentality. I wanted to be ready for the challenge. I still haven't played much of it, but I will later on. It's a damn fine game.

blurrygil

I'm in the similar boat, man. I don't have the most patience. But if I find the right RPG or adventure, then I'll totally sink into it.

I think you'll enjoy it. Stick it out early. You'll personally feel great about yourself when you clear that "wall" or "summit", if you will, of accomplishment or frustration that tends to hit some players in games like these. I'm trudging through fairly slowly myself, but reading everyone's impressions about being later in the game is extremely encouraging.

ironcreed

Banned
Heh, well I already bit at Amazon for a $10 credit and early RE6 demo.

Just take your time and be patient with it. As it is a slow burner that begs you to take your time and grow. Therein lies the reward, but it will have no problem slapping you down if you try to rush it.

I'm in the similar boat, man. I don't have the most patience. But if I find the right RPG or adventure, then I'll totally sink into it.

I think you'll enjoy it. Stick it out early. You'll personally feel great about yourself when you clear that "wall" or "summit", if you will, of accomplishment or frustration that tends to hit some players in games like these. I'm trudging through fairly slowly myself, but reading everyone's impressions about being later in the game is extremely encouraging.

I wouldn't even consider Dark Souls an adventure. It's more like survival in a maze.

Dragon's Dogma is an adventure, I'd say... especially at night time >=)

Dark souls is difficult- no "supposed" about it. But the difficulty is entirely fair. This game is ALSO hard in it's own way- but I find myself struggling with bad pawn AI, or getting one shotted by things I can't really see in the dark.

But for someone who's really looking at the combat as the draw (and not the storytelling, or the party management) Dark Souls does a better job. weapons all have a tangible "weight" and it does take practice to get things like the backstab, or parry/riposte move down, but when you do you'll be wrecking shit and feeling like a god.

Dragon's dogma has good combat, but it's not *quite* on the same level.

Dark souls is difficult- no "supposed" about it. But the difficulty is entirely fair. This game is ALSO hard in it's own way- but I find myself struggling with bad pawn AI, or getting one shotted by things I can't really see in the dark.

But for someone who's really looking at the combat as the draw (and not the storytelling, or the party management) Dark Souls does a better job. weapons all have a tangible "weight" and it does take practice to get things like the backstab, or parry/riposte move down, but when you do you'll be wrecking shit and feeling like a god.

Dragon's dogma has good combat, but it's not *quite* on the same level.

Dark Souls is more polished, but I have more fun with the extra tools in Dragon's Dogma.

Being a Magick Archer is bad ass! Magick-based melee attacks? Hell yes. I love the stylish moves a there's a spinning attack where my Arisen will jump in the air and stab the ground with two daggers, then a fiery explosion sets up. The Magick Bow is nice too since it has lock-on features, and powerful as hell with its Sixfold Arrow homing attack. I'm one-shotting goblin bosses and
Saurians
at this point. However, I know that something is going to kick my ass and bring me back down to Earth. That's what's awesome about this game - you suck and get your ass kicked, then come back later one-shotting fools. Instant gratification.

Looking at all the dagger tech, I'm starting to feel bad going for Staff/Bow...

Yuterald

Man, I just lost an hour of progression. I finished the Witchwood shit yesterday, but I didn't get to fully explore the cliffs/woods before the Witchwood entrance. I just booted the game up and decided to venture into those woods and I got wrecked by a surprise chimera and a pack of like 5 lizard dudes! It was day time, but I guess there was an overcast so it was hard to see anything. I had to use my lantern in daytime under that canopy to even begin to see what I was doing, lol!

Anyway, the chimera wiped my pawns almost instantly. I started to run away from everything and he chased me down and took me out. I was scared shit-less! I guess I should manual save more often after fights in areas I'm not familiar with. =/

Looking at all the dagger tech, I'm starting to feel bad going for Staff/Bow...

You can always change your vocation. :)
And if you want to go back to your Mage/Sorcerer class you get to keep the vocation rank and augments you were left at.

I recommend changing vocations to tailor to the class you'll up up maining, anyway. Just to acquire certain stat boosts from other classes as well as augments that can transfer over.

You can always change your vocation. :)
And if you want to go back to your Mage/Sorcerer class you get to keep the vocation rank and augments you were left at.

I recommend changing vocations to tailor to the class you'll up up maining, anyway. Just to acquire certain stat boosts from other classes as well as augments that can transfer over.

I can use Daggers any time I want as a Magic Archer, but all those points I dropped into Staves and I wind up never using it other than ice blocks and levitate.

But levitate, OMG. It's so good. It's like cheating.

Have two right now. One is my created strider with the other being Rook. I take it my next should be a mage, then?

Looks like I should be off to Gran Soren, then.

Are there any other side quests or places I should explore before heading off there? Anyone recommend things to accomplish while in Cassardis?

Cheers for the help thus far!

Go to the rift stone in the encampment and follow the quests. You should have been able to make your own pawn by now.

Bail on Rook.

Load up on two free pawns from the rift stone that are at your level.

???

Profit.

Yuterald

By the way, I think my question about treasure chests was overlooked in this thread a day ago. Can anyone confirm it?

Do treasure chests respawn? I swear I looted all the chests on the shores outside the first village and when I returned from the Witchwood wrap-around/shortcut they were all unopened again. If this is true (and I didn't test it yet) do the chests always have the same items in them or are they random?

LProtag

By the way, I think my question about treasure chests was overlooked in this thread a day ago. Can anyone confirm it?

Do treasure chests respawn? I swear I looted all the chests on the shores outside the first village and when I returned from the Witchwood wrap-around/shortcut they were all unopened again. If this is true (and I didn't test it yet) do the chests always have the same items in them or are they random?

Pretty sure they respawn and they have a list of random stuff they might have.

theDeeDubs

Definitely try both Demon's and Dark Souls. I actually found games like Skyrim at higher difficulties harder due to the awful combat and weird scaling issues. The Souls games are fair and are more about patience than diffculty.

Anteater

I did back a couple days ago when we thought their might be.
It appears there is one but I bet you there isn't. The games animation is really damn good and though it seems like its slower I don't think it is and its just a perception thing. I used the smallest woman and a very muscular man, removed all items from inventory and had them with the barest clothes and the starter sword.

hmm that might be good news since I could switch to a warrior later

Though now the question is, does different weight weapons affect their speed? Or is it just an inventory thing? Upgrading them sometimes lower their weight or something.

Wallachia

Question: I am in the game pretty far, but havent found any Castle type levels yet. Are there any? Sure there is the abbey and cities, but I mean fighting monsters inside castles?

PS. I'm already thinking, a sequel could be just... wow..

hmm that might be good news since I could switch to a warrior later

Though now the question is, does different weight weapons affect their speed? Or is it just an inventory thing? Upgrading them sometimes lower their weight or something.

Swords remain swords no matter how much they weigh. When you can wield them with 1 hand the speed remains the same. It changes with two handed swords, hammers and so on.

Top Bottom