• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Vamphuntr

I chose correctly the first time, but it was all luck.

when you take the quest, you have the option of heading to map markers either in the north, or backtrack to one further south. head to the northern one, and the southern marker will disappear, and point you to the (incorrect) female bandit camp.

the same thing happens if you head south..you'll get a tip pointing you south and the northern markers vanish. Is it a bug? or the devs just giving you one shot at the location?

I had both choices too but that pawn I had told me it was at the southern camp I could find the book. When your pawn has a red "?" above their head you can ask them about the quest your doing.

Karak

welp, got the PS3 version

i blame you all for bad advice if the framerate hits 5-10 frequently ;)

I don't think it will. I have seen maybe 100 various posters across boards say they get 15-25, and then a smaller amount with severe issues going down to 5 during battles. And there were a couple people streaming yesterday where they were getting hit really hard and some random youtubes but rare compared to the others. Its luck of the draw and it does for sure happen but a small percentage of them get that.

RE: PS3 FPS... It definitely can go down to something like 10fps. I'm a magick archer, with two Mage pawns and everytime I have the light arrow up (the one that lights up the environment) and the two mages are casting spells, the FPS struggles, but if they each have a healing field up, that's when it plummets to ~10fps territory. So yeah, it's definitely possible but it's not something that happens all the time.

Use those nature-guiding senses of yours son and wing it...!! :)

Had to do this a couple times. It's an odd thing to do in a videogame, but it feels...right. Gransys' sun rises in the east and sets in the west just like ours. You can't tell exact time, but you can at least tell when it's about to start getting dark out a few minutes before it actually does.

Was a reason ever provided for why rain wasn't included in this game? Getting wet has so many repurcussions, I'm shocked they missed the opportunity to include weather that would make you wet the second you stepped outside. You could have items and equipment that fend off getting drenched. If you go outside at night while it's raining your lantern won't work. Why didn't Capcom consult with me during DD's development?!

Karak

Is there anywhere where you can see the time of day in this game or do you just have to guess by the position of sun?

Nah you pretty much have to Crocodile Dundee it. Even though he cheated:)
EDIT: And as DD said above me. It DOES feel right. For some reason it fits and that's not hyperbole. It just does.

RE: PS3 FPS... It definitely can go down to something like 10fps. I'm a magick archer, with two Mage pawns and everytime I have the light arrow up (the one that lights up the environment) and the two mages are casting spells, the FPS struggles, but if they each have a healing field up, that's when it plummets to ~10fps territory. So yeah, it's definitely possible but it's not something that happens all the time.

PS3 version is sort of a mind fuck. Either its gonna be fine and barely drop or its gonna severely drop. Matter of fact I should check it on the other PS3 I can get my hands on and see what that one does or does not drop to compared to the pretty bad experience I had on the gameshops one. Its so random.
Regardless my sincere hope is they release some good performance patches really soon.

Astra

welp, got the PS3 version

i blame you all for bad advice if the framerate hits 5-10 frequently ;)

Haha, it really shouldn't. As others have posted, they never saw theirs dip that low. So, I guess there has to be a lot going on on screen for it to get THAT low. For me, there was.
To be a little more detailed about who all was around, my Strider, my Pawn a Fighter, and two hired Mages. There were about 5-7 enemies, and two of their enemies were mages. So you had two of my mages, and two of their mages casting spells, so there's 4 spell effects on screen at once. Add to that water effects, and that is likely why my framerate plummeted.

Anyway, since you're on PS3, be sure to hire Chie. ;)

I haven't seen it hit anywhere near there, if that means anything.

Should we get some kind of Pawn listing in the OP?

No need, there is a thread for just that right here sir.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475009

abundant

Holy shit, who said this game was easy? I'm just at the beginning, that
dungeon under the Capital with the blue light, red snakes and stuff
and I'm having my ass kicked so hard. Had to leave a pawn behind too :/

That's the beauty of not having scaling enemies, you make the game as hard or as easy as you want. I did the same quest at level 20 and had no problem doing it, it was easy.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I haven't seen it hit anywhere near there, if that means anything.

Should we get some kind of Pawn listing in the OP?

There is a thread for it already.

I would imagine that rain outside ruining your lantern and enhancing lightning would be balance issues.. but that the effect itself would likely cripple the game :D

either way ... yes the atmosphere is fucking amazing. There is no other game i've ever played that has recreated the sensation of being a kid and playing outside at the park thinking "It's not too dark ... should stay bright long enough at least for another game!" and then finding yourself in the darkness needing to get the fuck home before you parents/a chimera face murders you.

There is a thread for it already.

I would imagine that rain outside ruining your lantern and enhancing lightning would be balance issues.. but that the effect itself would likely cripple the game :D

either way ... yes the atmosphere is fucking amazing. There is no other game i've ever played that has recreated the sensation of being a kid and playing outside at the park thinking "It's not too dark ... should stay bright long enough at least for another game!" and then finding yourself in the darkness needing to get the fuck home before you parents/a chimera face murders you.

Haha. Fitting analogy.

Natiko

Banned
Does anyone know of some armor that I can use to make my male pawn look like a girl? I'm guessing I need to do that to not have the female bandits flip out when I go into their territory but I can't find any torso pieces that make a guy look like a girl.

Does anyone know of some armor that I can use to make my male pawn look like a girl? I'm guessing I need to do that to not have the female bandits flip out when I go into their territory but I can't find any torso pieces that make a guy look like a girl.

Check the Black Cat in Gran Soren.

1.) you don't actually need to go there

and

2.) nothing you do will keep them from flipping out on you. Just one of those things that comes from picking that gender. "Tall" characters can't get themselves into certain shortcuts either and have to take the long way, if I remember a review correctly. edit: Ogres explicitly will flip out and "target" female characters as well, so it's not all one sided there.

and

2.) nothing you do will keep them from flipping out on you. Just one of those things that comes from picking that gender. "Tall" characters can't get themselves into certain shortcuts either and have to take the long way, if I remember a review correctly.

So what in the hell is the dress at the Black Cat for? The one that gives your man breasts? Shits and giggles?

Natiko

Banned

and

2.) nothing you do will keep them from flipping out on you. Just one of those things that comes from picking that gender. "Tall" characters can't get themselves into certain shortcuts either and have to take the long way, if I remember a review correctly.

I'm fairly certain this quest wants me to go there, it's marked on the map at least. That's a bummer though, I thought I heard one of the pawns mention it as a possibility, oh well.

So what in the hell is the dress at the Black Cat for? The one that gives your man breasts? Shits and giggles?

Apparently.

has anyone found a use for that 1.5 million rift point ring? i'm really curious about that one.

I'm fairly certain this quest wants me to go there, it's marked on the map at least. That's a bummer though, I thought I heard one of the pawns mention it as a possibility, oh well.

scroll up, (or go back a page) we just had that discussion. If you're doing the "tome" quest, at the beginning it gives you the option to chase after bandit groups in the north OR the south- but not both. If you chose the northern route the southern markers disappear. this is unfortunate because that's where the tome is- in the south. The female bandit camp has nothing in it, and you'll get yourself banged up for a bow and some gold pieces.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I would think if you had your pawn dressed as a girl and 3 girl pawns they wouldn't be hostile. Though I already killed them all and opened the gate so it doesn't make much of a difference either way.

Dresden

Was a reason ever provided for why rain wasn't included in this game? Getting wet has so many repurcussions, I'm shocked they missed the opportunity to include weather that would make you wet the second you stepped outside. You could have items and equipment that fend off getting drenched. If you go outside at night while it's raining your lantern won't work. Why didn't Capcom consult with me during DD's development?!

Performance issues probably.

Karak

Performance for sure. I mean its having a difficult time MOST of the time. Add rain particles and so forth. BLARG:)

owlbeak

Bandit camp quest spoiler and question:

So I was at the bandit camp and talked to Maul, he gave me a two-option quest;
either go kill a traitor or go wipe out a group of rival thieves in the northwest. I opted to go to the traitor since he was much closer. I told the traitor to make his life forfeit and to go back to the bandit camp to receive his death sentence. I went back to tell Maul what I had chosen, he said the boy came back and since he knew he was going to be killed for desertion, Maul spared his life. He then gave me an item - Maul's Badge of Amity. It says it's a token that proves I've earned Maul's fellowship and trust. When he gave it to me he said to present it whenever I need to pass. What the hell is this used for? I thought it would let me not get attacked by bandits, but I walked down the road and got attacked haha.

Karak

This sounds like a bug to me. Wasn't the fact that your male character could dress up as a woman to enter that camp publicized before release?

Yes it was. It was discussed in one of their previews when asked if Sex would have any bearing on quests. They said yes some quests will only be given out to males and some to females but you can disguise yourself as the other sex. It was during a spanish press interview with the lead.

Bandit camp quest spoiler and question:

So I was at the bandit camp and talked to Maul, he gave me a two-option quest;
either go kill a traitor or go wipe out a group of rival thieves in the northwest. I opted to go to the traitor since he was much closer. I told the traitor to make his life forfeit and to go back to the bandit camp to receive his death sentence. I went back to tell Maul what I had chosen, he said the boy came back and since he knew he was going to be killed for desertion, Maul spared his life. He then gave me an item - Maul's Badge of Amity. It says it's a token that proves I've earned Maul's fellowship and trust. When he gave it to me he said to present it whenever I need to pass. What the hell is this used for? I thought it would let me not get attacked by bandits, but I walked down the road and got attacked haha.

I have no idea. I rolled into that camp and slaughtered them to the last man like a Boss

owlbeak

I actually read about it in more than one preview of the game. Either this quest worked out for the previewers or this was PR straight from Capcom. I have a really good feeling this is bugged.
Yeah, because I've definitely walked through that camp twice. I was only attacked when I walked into one room with the bandit chief or whatever. Otherwise, no one cared.

What causes the shopkeeper to get new gear? Is it just plot advancement? Aside from the Great Wall and the Quarry, are there any other places I can buy equipment?

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned, but a tip for Mystic Knights. Ruinous Sigil is their best skill offense wise, you enchant your weapon, then plant it right next to a large monster, they'll fall over in seconds because they don't get knocked out of the effect.

What causes the shopkeeper to get new gear? Is it just plot advancement? Aside from the Great Wall and the Quarry, are there any other places I can buy equipment?

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned, but a tip for Mystic Knights. Ruinous Sigil is their best skill offense wise, you enchant your weapon, then plant it right next to a large monster, they'll fall over in seconds because they don't get knocked out of the effect.

Some vendors' inventory will scale to your level.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
so does the xbox version play just like the demo? because i thought the demo ran pretty smoothly.

Pretty much, yep.

The most choppy performance I've seen is in a big city when it's loading lots of player pawns from the network connection; you can see the frame rate drop below 30fps in a few sections where many pawns are fading in and out. Which I suppose is understandable for what is happening there.

I suspect the game is leaning hard on the console hardware, because like Dark Souls there must be complex pathing logic running for the enemies and NPCs. You've got 3 AI party members, plus NPC allies, plus enemy mobs, all navigating the sandbox and really fighting with each other.

Karak

Yeah, because I've definitely walked through that camp twice. I was only attacked when I walked into one room with the bandit chief or whatever. Otherwise, no one cared.

That would suck if this was removed. I thought the idea really was pretty cool.

Gattsu25

Banned
Sounds like the 360 version is the one to get?

I was loosely following this game. The promise (sandbox with MH style fights) is hard to resist

Karak

I'll check it out later on once the fiancee goes to bed. So many sidequests to do though!

Well see I just smashed through the baddies and didn't think about this. So now I wonder if I did it wrong.

Sounds like the 360 version is the one to get?

I was loosely following this game. The promise (sandbox with MH style fights) is hard to resist
Either is fine, both have technical limitations. The last 40 so odd pages we have discussed them back and forth:)

owlbeak

That would suck if this was removed. I thought the idea really was pretty cool.
I agree.

And just in case anyone is wondering, my character is a male and I have two male pawns and one female. So unless they made it so you only need have one female in your group or it's broken/removed.

scroll up, (or go back a page) we just had that discussion. If you're doing the "tome" quest, at the beginning it gives you the option to chase after bandit groups in the north OR the south- but not both. If you chose the northern route the southern markers disappear. this is unfortunate because that's where the tome is- in the south. The female bandit camp has nothing in it, and you'll get yourself banged up for a bow and some gold pieces.
Strange, I actually went north first. Killed the bandit lady with an explosive barrel and ran then went to the south one. The markers disappeared individually. The guy in the south died before I could save him, but thanks to a poster here I still got the tome as it is still in its appropriate location even if he dies (you just wouldn't know it).

EDIT: My pawn and I are both Male, didn't get attacked until we got to the boss lady. One of the bandits downstairs by the gate (going further north) told me about how much she hated men, but also said something to the extent of perhaps her being ok with slimmer prettier men or something XD

Karak

I agree.

And just in case anyone is wondering, my character is a male and I have two male pawns and one female. So unless they made it so you only need have one female in your group or it's broken/removed.

Ya I sort of just disguised myself by cutting their heads off so they couldn't see:( or :) I at the time had all female pawns. Just the way I roll man. Pawnpimp.

Cth

540177_10150831593676452_505386451_9746220_510289824_n.jpg

Astra

Ugh, damn SEN maintenance. I can't sign in to update the rift with pawns. Guess I am stuck with my current team (which is working well enough).

Top Bottom