• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The Grimoire was at a male bandit camp in the southwest near the Witchwood. I confronted the leader but he challenged me so I fought him and his whole gang. After that, I found the Grimoire in a chest at the very top of a tower, althought I had to climb to the very top cuz the stairs were broken. Waited out the whole night until I left.

Since nobody in that camp aggro'd me I search for every explosive barrel I could find (three), sat them where the crowd gathered to watch the fight

KABOOM!

Skyrim is much more accessible and does a fantastic job at absorbing the player into its world. You are also constantly leveling up skills and doing stuff that adds to your character. I think these are some of the reasons why people love it so much. I know it's why I do.

Accessible huh...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ok thanks guys, not looking to derail the thread with a comparison.

I guess its not for me then. Because honestly, I like being overwhelmed a little at the start. Getting dropped into another world should be disorientating and intimidating imho. Every journey into the unknown ought to be fraught and worrying, because if I don't feel that apprehension, I don't really get the satisfaction in going back through at a higher level, handling, and eventually owning that shit.

I'm only a few hours into DD, and I just loved going down into the well in the village and figuring out how to handle those
lizard-dudes
at level 6. Baby steps for sure, and I got messed up a couple of times before deciding the best
bet was to pull them up one at a time and murderize them on the ledge
, but that's what adventuring is all about to me!

Lucent

Yeah, that's retarded. We're legit on PS3. If I recall correctly nobody has beaten it yet on our side of things.

It saddens me that you haven't played Nier yet. You should play that asap once you finish Dragon's Dogma. Really fantastic game.

Same. I hate cheating. What's the point in playing the game then? =l

When I started playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite with my friend, it was fun. But then he started use'n some hack that lets you acquire armor without gathering the items to make it and spawn whatever items you want and such. I lost interest in playing it for awhile until he promised to play it correctly.

Ok thanks guys, not looking to derail the thread with a comparison.

I guess its not for me then. Because honestly, I like being overwhelmed a little at the start. Getting dropped into another world should be disorientating and intimidating imho. Every journey into the unknown ought to be fraught and worrying, because if I don't feel that apprehension, I don't really get the satisfaction in going back through at a higher level, handling, and eventually owning that shit.

I'm only a few hours into DD, and I just loved going down into the well in the village and figuring out how to handle those
lizard-dudes
at level 6. Baby steps for sure, and I got messed up a couple of times before deciding the best
bet was to pull them up one at a time and murderize them on the ledge
, but that's what adventuring is all about to me!

The end game does a fantastic job at this for sure, I am scared as hell.

I can't stop playing this game. Just fucking amazing. I've been playing every chance I could get since Tuesday which means practically all day yesterday and today. Stayed up until like 4am Friday night which I haven't done playing a game in a while.

Craziest part is that I can tell I've barely scratched the surface. I JUST started traveling north of Gran Soren last night.

1stStrike

Banned
Okay, the Blighted Manse. How/when do I get the quest to be able to get into this place? I'm sitting here with "The Final Battle" quest and up till now haven't seen any indicators for it.

Apparently, a lot of people have entirely missed this part so I'd like to not be one of them if I possible :p

Kard8p3

In my almost ten attempts on this mofo, I managed to do this!

rPZik.jpg

Oh god I bought this game and now I'm sitting at the character creator and I cannot make anything remotely good or interesting.

Anybody got links to good sliders/whatever to choose?

Teknoman

Skyrim is much more accessible and does a fantastic job at absorbing the player into its world. You are also constantly leveling up skills and doing stuff that adds to your character. I think these are some of the reasons why people love it so much. I know it's why I do.

Imo DD does that too. You can switch jobs whenever, and you're always finding new things to combine ala Monster Hunter, and it seems like there are tons of equipment pieces. Honestly i wish the Souls series would take after DD in that aspect (lots of equipment). That and the dungeons are actually pretty interesting/feel dangerous, and of course you've got the combat system. Skyrim's world is really cool and interesting, but the combat system just kinda feels flat. Use a skewer strike in DD, and you can really feel the impact of the strike.

Honestly i'm surprised that DD managed to drag me away from Diablo III.

Oh god I bought this game and now I'm sitting at the character creator and I cannot make anything remotely good or interesting.

Anybody got links to good sliders/whatever to choose?

Try to recreate yourself as Arisen if all else fails.

Riposte

What Skyrim does better, though I do not recognize this as a positive feature, is make exploration more addictive. Quest log (which makes the game extremely accessible and linear in play) + filling up the map + pretty much an endless amount of filler content. Although the content is by the numbers and banal, many people can get sucked into this even if they don't realize they are not having much fun. (Before figuring this out, I wondered why I felt so disgusted with myself after putting so many hours into Oblivion.)

If I love Demon's/Dark Souls, and like the idea of a Monster Hunter (haven't played one), is this game for me? My opinion of Skyrim if it helps is, interesting world, combat terrible enough to make me not play.

Goli

So I got this game yesterday and despite kinda sorta hating the demo I am absolutely loving every second of the full game. My GOTY so far.
Anyways, I wanted to share something I like to call a "Dragon's Dogma moment" that happened a few hours ago to me. I was doing that quest where you go
below Gran Soren to Everfall
when an ogre appeared, and it became "excited" since my whole party was female only. After dodging a few of its attacks I decided to climb its back and strike its head's rear, when suddenly one of my pawns said something about being wary when climbing it... moments later the ogre did a backjump near the edge of the stairs to his death, with my character on it. Ophelia (my character) died crushed by the ogre, but I thought it was a really awesome moment O:.
Also, a picture of Ophelia playing Robin Hood :O.
At8GEU_CAAAqdEK.jpg

If I love Demon's/Dark Souls, and like the idea of a Monster Hunter (haven't played one), is this game for me? My opinion of Skyrim if it helps is, interesting world, combat terrible enough to make me not play.
Yes, it is for you.

lunchtoast

Just beat the drake. He wasn't too bad, just annoying having to keep recovering the pawns, and the mage/sorcerer kept getting hit while trying to cast ice affinity. The few times I did get it though, we fucked him up.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Where is the grimoire? It led me on a reaaaally arduous journey into some Land of Female Bandits and I accidentally, um, slaughtered them all. Now there is no marker on my map. Someone help. :)

Had found the Grimoire earlier (I went south instead of north on the 2 markers)

But welcome to the "I killed the entire clan of female-only Ninja's Accidentally" crew.

Is this game set in a world where everyone's cheekbones are too high? Because that's the vibe this creator is giving me.

My character creation OCD is the bane of open world game enjoyment, I swear

I like this game. I want to love it but I can't. There are too many times where I just go, "that was stupid." I am enjoying myself but it seems like missed potential.

Anteater

I swear in these games there are always something taking up inventory space but I can't figure out what it is, it feels like I have the same items from the beginning

Teknoman

This game was tailor made for you.

Also this game has enemy animations in the bag, much more detailed than any other open world action RPG. Not to mention every area is pretty well distinguishable from another, even if they look somewhat similar in color.

Oh god it appears I have just stumbled into Blighttown.

dd_blighttown.jpg

Beware of fall ahead.

Goli

I swear in these games there are always something taking up inventory space but I can't figure out what it is, it feels like I have the same items from the beginning

Earlier I became over encumbered since I had something like 40 Warhorns. Try checking if you have way too many of a certain item like I did.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
photo-40.jpg

Coming across the Female Only Ninja Clan's Castle, after coming out the backside of Soul Flaying Mines.

photo-38.jpg

Sunlight over Bluemoon Tower

photo-37.jpg

Entering the Griffen's Castle

photo-36.jpg

Grilled Chicken

photo-39.jpg

Coming across the worlds only vampiric Cyclops (not really, but dying at daybreak... ;)

mujun

So Skyrim is beyond reproach because it's objectively Skyrim? Whereas this game only succeeds at subjective matters like 'being fun'? What are you talking about?

I don't know how you managed to butcher what I said so much, I think I was pretty clear.

Some people, who obviously like Japanese RPGs are trying to dress up their opinions as objective arguments when it's clear that it is a matter of taste.

The argument about there being better exploration in this game because you never know what danger lurks around the corner is one example of the above.

Alright, Mystic Knight is kinda boss! How useful is Magick Cannon? I was having a little fun summoning two spheres and shooting 2 orbs at the same time.

VashTS

I can't stop playing this game. Just fucking amazing. I've been playing every chance I could get since Tuesday which means practically all day yesterday and today. Stayed up until like 4am Friday night which I haven't done playing a game in a while.

Craziest part is that I can tell I've barely scratched the surface. I JUST started traveling north of Gran Soren last night.

You activate it by talking to the duchess' maid. I talked to her and got the armor needed to get in, but the quest disappeared and going into the area does not trigger anything.

I could use some help on this considering I've been waiting a few days for other people to help.

Xevren

I just love the combat in this so much. All the skills between classes are what make it stand out for me. Hopefully this is the start of something great, and Capcom doesn't milk it into the ground.

Dresden

Alright, Mystic Knight is kinda boss! How useful is Magick Cannon? I was having a little fun summoning two spheres and shooting 2 orbs at the same time.

I think it stacks, so you can fire off multiple bolts at once.

Didn't really like the spell though, I like going up close with melee.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I don't understand this either or attitude with DD and Skyrim. They have a huge world and fantasy setting, thats about it. What I enjoy in Skyrim is not what I'd want or get from DD. You can strip either game to its simplistic narratives, whether you find Skyrim to be mostly filler or DD to essentially play like an offline MMO like FFXI then you are not doing either justice really. Right now my only gripe is having to let my game idle at nighttime before I can do anything.

is there ANY way to fast travel in the game? i hate having to keep going back and forth to some of these areas with the stamina running out so quickly (im a mage)

I think it stacks, so you can fire off multiple bolts at once.

Didn't really like the spell though, I like going up close with melee.

Yeah I like to be "all up in yo grill" but it is a nice alternative, it's the only ranged attack for that vocation I've seen so far. Might play around more with it.

Goli

is there ANY way to fast travel in the game? i hate having to keep going back and forth to some of these areas with the stamina running out so quickly (im a mage)

There are ferrystones which take you from wherever you are to Gran Soren instantly, but they're quite rare and while you can buy them they're pretty expensive.

mujun

I've probably got a very skewed/weird frame of reference because as far as "previously played" experience goes, I've never a single Morrowind/Skyrim title, but I did play FFXI for many years.

Based on that, my expectation for an open-world RPG type experience is that if you go off the beaten path you really ought to get mashed to a pulp by encountering drastically overlevelled enemies. To me that seems to be a basic, essential, part of the adventure/exploration aspect.

I mean, without the danger of death all around, the open-world aspect seems kinda meaningless, because ultimately it means that every path you take is basically the same.

I shouldn't dismiss a game (a very well-liked game) like Skyrim because of this, but combined with the fact that nobody seems to think the combat system is actually all that good, I've never felt the urge to actually put the money up to see what its like.

Long winded way of saying; really loving DD right now, but why exactly is Skyrim so much better - at least according to the critics?

I don't think Skyrim is better as an experience necessarily (though it was for me personally, that is entirely down to taste), I do however thing that it offers more content is more polished (bigger budget, I know).

I'm glad that you clarified that you are talking about your expectations and preference. I prefer something more like the middle ground (dangerous areas are not so common but venturing into brings a high chance of death, the rest of the world isn't overly hard with some planning and preparation) or more like Skyrim. I enjoy playing and experiencing games, I like to make steady progression and in most cases don't want to tackle hard/unforgiving stuff.

Ok just read up on the skills for Mystic Knight, I'm definitely thinking about putting a lot of time with this vocation. Creating four orbs at once with the Magick Cannon upgrade sounds pretty fucking cool.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
There are ferrystones which take you from wherever you are to Gran Soren instantly, but they're quite rare and while you can buy them they're pretty expensive.

They are neither rare nor that expensive IMO. You can buy them from the merchant in the noble quarters in Gran Soren for 10,000 gold, which is usually how much you'll get from completing a side quest.

Post game ain't no joke, was quite the task just to get to the capital from cassardis. Looks like I'll need to train some.

That battle with the dragon was really great, the atmosphere was perfect. I love how he
wasnt really evil, kind of neutral. He pushed you to be your best and own.

Also glad I got Madeline as my romance:)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
My poor pawn is so unpopular since the switch from Warrior to Strider. I have had one notice that my pawn has returned from another world in the past 24 hours.

That can't be good for the ol' self-esteem.

Ok just read up on the skills for Mystic Knight, I'm definitely thinking about putting a lot of time with this vocation. Creating four orbs at once with the Magick Cannon upgrade sounds pretty fucking cool.

Mystic Knight's a beast. Magick Cannon and Great Cannon are crazy effective ranged attacks and Ruinous Sigil is practically a death sentence for any big monster as soon as it goes down. If you just keep spamming it they'll be knocked ass over teakettle as soon as they manage to get back on their feet, then you just keep spamming it. You basically stunlock them to death.

Then on top of that you've got a selection of Mage skills, you have Levitate for mobility if you need it, you can enchant your own weapon without having to worry about having a pawn do it for you, and you can kill enemies just by blocking.

Of the classes I've used so far it's easily the one that feels the most powerful.

Astra

My poor pawn is so unpopular since the switch from Warrior to Strider. I have had one notice that my pawn has returned from another world in the past 24 hours.

That can't be good for the ol' self-esteem.

Same =(
Also got a bad rating, saying she didn't use skills properly. I guess AI Rangers kind of suck. I'm switching her back as soon as I gain a few levels. I just went with Ranger to get some extra stamina.

360 for better framerate but more tearing
PS3 with poop framerate but no tearing

and I think people are cheating the Ur-dragon through editing saves on 360

So pick your poison :(

I swear, I have had such little tearing it hardly warrants a mention. The only time I had noticable tearing was in the first cut-scene
with the dragon attack

Like many games, it's probably down to the individual 360. That, or the patch it downloaded may have assisted.

Astra

I swear, I have had such little tearing it hardly warrants a mention. The only time I had noticable tearing was in the first cut-scene
with the dragon attack

Like many games, it's probably down to the individual 360. That, or the patch it downloaded may have assisted.

Likewise with the PS3 version. The framerate has its dips, but it's generally hardly even noticeable. It's only when there are a lot of enemies on screen, and spell effects going on. In Gran Soren there are dips for no apparent reason, though.

Top Bottom