• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Roubjon

Likewise with the PS3 version. The framerate has its dips, but it's generally hardly even noticeable. It's only when there are a lot of enemies on screen, and spell effects going on. In Gran Soren there are dips for no apparent reason, though.

I have to say, the game runs way better than I expected it to. The demo definitely ran at a lower framerate than the actual game does. Never once has the framerate affected the gameplay, it's only occasionally ugly looking.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
THE GRIMOIRE IS MINE

This game runs like shit. The framerate on 360 dives all the time and it tears CONSTANTLY. Gransoren makes my eyes burn.

xix

Neo Member
If anyone is on the fence about this game: It's marred by hardcore gameplay with a similar feel as FROM's Souls games, but achieved it in a much different way. The world is huge with a ton of stuff to explore like Skyrim, though it's smaller, and you won't be reading tome after tome of Elvish plots.

But the battles are the finest, most exciting battles ever made. Some people might complain that they drag on or that there's not enough variety, but with the hundreds of different party types and dozens of environments it won't get boring. Unless you're boring.

tldr: if you want a game that lets you stab an ogre in the face before jumping to the next ogre's face with lightning and thunder crashing as electric guitar fades in.... oh yeah it's all unscripted.

mujun

If anyone is on the fence about this game: It's marred by hardcore gameplay with a similar feel as FROM's Souls games, but achieved it in a much different way. The world is huge with a ton of stuff to explore like Skyrim, though it's smaller, and you won't be reading tome after tome of Elvish plots.

But the battles are the finest, most exciting battles ever made. Some people might complain that they drag on or that there's not enough variety, but with the hundreds of different party types and dozens of environments it won't get boring. Unless you're boring.

tldr: if you want a game that lets you stab an ogre in the face before jumping to the next ogre's face with lightning and thunder crashing as electric guitar fades in.... oh yeah it's all unscripted.

I don't get why people oversell the combat in this game so much. It's good but far from great and pales in comparison to the Souls games imo.

owlbeak

THE GRIMOIRE IS MINE

This game runs like shit. The framerate on 360 dives all the time and it tears CONSTANTLY. Gransoren makes my eyes burn.
Really? I've never had the game dip below a consistently smooth framerate, which I assume to be 30+. The tearing, yeah.

ezekial45

Banned
THE GRIMOIRE IS MINE

MT Framework doesn't handle games with lots of visuals to render at once too well. There are points where it'll freeze momentarily.

LProtag

I can't tell if I want to start over a completely new game with a different vocation or not. It's fun being super powerful but... there's just something the game lacks when you can destroy pretty much everything that comes at you.

joe2187

Banned
So my main pawn sort of died, does that mean I lost all the eqiupment and junk with her? any penalties for her dying? will she come back to me?

joe2187

Banned
very well then...
I WILL AVENGE YOU SHOSHANNA!

470459_3824851067005_1449614938_3241028_934083814_o.jpg

I am loving the hell out of this game. And abusing the hell out of my Mystic Knight class. Ruinous Sigil and Great Cannons are life savers!

And I just downed my first ever Golem. Slow at first, but after focusing on its glowing spots, it was no problem.

Surprised about its speed up thing when it's all red. Must have learned from Regigigas...

ezekial45

Banned
Damn, the enemies really sneak up on you when at night. I was walking down the path near the catacombs, when out of nowhere a Chimera pounced on my party. It scared the shit out of me. That was my first time encountering one with my group, and it was a tough battle too.

I'm impressed by the randomness of the game. I was expecting it to be scripted in a number of areas, but things have been pretty unpredictable thus far.

Anteater

I think I played a bit too safe, nothing crazy has happened to me yet and it seems I always wander into zones within my level range, I've never met the crazy bandit guy near
witchwood
either, they became normal enemies when I went back

Poor Mercedes, I just did her pride quest. Is there anyway to get her to stick around? I can't decide if I should interfere with her duel, or not.

Cth

I think handing in a forgery will actually make the shop have WORSE items. That's what I've been reading about anyway. Kinda curious what does happen though.

Yeah, the guide says you only get a very minor reward for forgeries.

Bronze is 1/2, Silver is 3/4, gold is max.

I don't know how you managed to butcher what I said so much, I think I was pretty clear.

Some people, who obviously like Japanese RPGs are trying to dress up their opinions as objective arguments when it's clear that it is a matter of taste.

The argument about there being better exploration in this game because you never know what danger lurks around the corner is one example of the above.

I played some Skyrim tonight before I played some DD just to remind myself how silly this Skyrim vs DD business is getting in here. I've already stated when, why, and for what that I enjoy them both, so I'm not going to repeat it, but I think I should mention that I've preferred WRPGs for the better part of a decade, and I certainly think the exploration is better in this game. The reason I love the exploration in this game is specifically because it reminds me a great deal of my favorite western RPG concepts from D&D and even Everquest 1.

I don't get why people oversell the combat in this game so much. It's good but far from great and pales in comparison to the Souls games imo.

I gotta agree with this though, some of the hyperbole in this thread is getting a bit over the top. I adore the combat in this, but it's a different animal and not really as refined as the Souls games, though I don't really feel it's trying to be.

DD is it's own beast, and I'm quite thankful for it.

Spazznid

I freaking HATE the souls games fighting. I'm not dissagreeing with you, just letting you know that my opinion is different than yours. As for objectively deciding which is greater, I'll just say that I won't and also that there aren't any overwhelming fails on either game's systems.

Also I LOVE almost ALL of the menus in this game. (especially when depositing items you just click to select and click to deposit max. so much faster than Scrolls games) some may be clunky but the only gripe I really have is that their response can SOMETIMES be a tad slow.

Also, when the FPS goes way down in the ps3 version (say, when you stack 4+ Magic Canons all infused with fire and your mage casts a tornado while also standing next to the Magic Canons with an AOE defense buff on...) it looks like it goes in slo-mo which is amazing given all the things that are going on on-screen. I still would love a pc version with full 1080p 4xSGSSAA and 59-60 fps-limit. It would be glorious.

Finished Strider class (though I still have a few skills to buy). On to Archer/Ranger now.

Took me a long time to figure out how to play Strider. Really improved once I had some warriors in my party. I would Ensnare/Implicate enemies like mad making it easy to keep things under control (and become an easier target for mages). Reset(and its upgrade) are incredibly useful for aiding in pilling enemies to a central location(with Ensnare) and interrupting enemy attacks, very important considering a few good strikes from a warrior class can kill you very fast.

Special arrows can be very useful too, going to miss them if I go to Magic Archer later. Good to have more so for larger enemies than anything else. I used sleep arrows on an Ogre which bought some time even if I didn't stop attacking (I was all out of health items), oil arrows are useful too.

did you type that with a straight face? The Fighter moveset alone made me forget i'd ever played that sadistic game. To each its own but there's nothing being oversold about the combat, its fluid varied and actually leaves enough room for error to be fun yet still challenging.

xix

Neo Member
mujun said:

I love the Demon's/Dark Souls games, but they're just different types of games than this. Given the setting, the Souls games are much more realistic. This game is a much different power fantasy with much more superhuman abilities behind each button press. It's kinda like the difference between something like Virtua Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom... if that makes sense to you.

Eiji

Damn, just had a quest auto-cancel on me and now I can't complete it. Should have completed it before moving on with the main storyline :/

Also I LOVE almost ALL of the menus in this game. (especially when depositing items you just click to select and click to deposit max. so much faster than Scrolls games) some may be clunky but the only gripe I really have is that their response can SOMETIMES be a tad slow.

The thing I hate about the menus in this game is that it does so much right in streamlining certain operations and not forcing you to go digging for crap through everyone's inventory or your storage, and then it ruins it with a cluttered and bipolar UI.

Cth

I swear, I have had such little tearing it hardly warrants a mention. The only time I had noticable tearing was in the first cut-scene
with the dragon attack

Like many games, it's probably down to the individual 360. That, or the patch it downloaded may have assisted.

That's what I'm wondering as well.

I haven't noticed any tearing at all, and it's kinda bugging me :D

I'm not complaining, but it's weird hearing all those comments and not seeing it myself.

Cth

Will a forgery of a portcyrstal work?

Dunno. I read earlier in the thread that some people were trolling people's pawns by sending them with forgeries upon return.

So, probably not. Or if it does, then it probably sends you someplace you don't wanna be :D

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This game is crazy! I found a "hidden" cave behind a waterfall and fought a cyclops. Left and made my way towards a quest marker, which was likely a bad idea since it was in territory I'm not ready for yet. Stumble upon a group of lizard men and a chimera. Kill it and there's a group of ogres and an armored cyclops! Take them out and a little further on I see a red dragon (looks exactly like the one from the beginning of the game) that has way, way too much HP and takes out my entire party in a few seconds. I barely managed to get away, but it was too late and the NPC I needed for the quest was killed. @_@

Dresden

I love Souls combat and just the variations on weapon length and moveset alone is far more elegant than anything in DD, imo.

I really like DD's combat though, as long as I'm not using daggers. That shit makes me feel like I'm ice skating.

Had found the Grimoire earlier (I went south instead of north on the 2 markers)

But welcome to the "I killed the entire clan of female-only Ninja's Accidentally" crew.

Yeah, i did this at first, but reloaded after my Czarina fell off a cliff and i couldn't save her, when the quest marker disappeared after i killed them i knew it wasn't and let them live the second time.

nyong

Banned
This game is so much better than Skyrim it isn't even funny. Not the quality of writing or graphics (DD has some jankiness) but pretty much everything else. What I'm most impressed with so far is the AI...they have personality and seemingly random behaviors that really make the game feel (honestly) like you're playing with actual people. And either I suck or this game is actually challenging, which is hugely refreshing.

Too bad it's criminally underrated by so many reviewers. This game doesn't just deserve a sequel, it NEEDS one. It's on track to being one of my favorite titles this generation.

benzy

Being able to climb just about any hill, rock, cliff, and hanging off ledges is such a great mechanic in a game like this. Love being able to fall a ledge by accident and the character just autograbs. Makes traversing the environment easier too if you have somewhere high up to go to.

The sound the harpies make is downright creepy.

The only problem I have with the game is that the way NG+ and the class system works, in NG+ you are an unstoppable ruinous beast. I kind of expected enemies to scale up a little, Souls style. As such there's nothing in the game that's a threat save for the online Ur Dragon.

I mean, there's all these incentives to get better stats, abilities and gear, stuff that's borderline impossible to get the first time around, but nothing to actually use it on.

It's kinda funny that people have gone from complaining about reviewers comparing DD to Skyrim, to doing it themselves. One game doesn't have to suck for the other to be good. Shockingly I've loved playing both.

As for the combat comparison to Souls games, they're in completely different ballparks. Screw up your moves in a Souls game, and you die. Screw up in DD and meh you just go on. They're not comparable in difficulty or implementation. Yet both succeed. DD's combat is more similar to Amalur's, but so far I haven't found anything that matches the Chakrams in Amalur. I do love when one of my pawns picks up enemies and smashes them into the ground repeatedly with magic. That never gets old.

Would be nice if Capcom released some actual DLC, or at least one adventure expansion pack with 10 or so new enemies to face.

Does anyone know what that ten pack of new quests actually is? It's part of a set of a hundred and I imagine they're all trivial notice board style stuff.

Aww man, had a wicked time tonight. Went to do the second quest for Maxmillian, to "rout some monsters". Headed up to a norther area I hadnt been to, encountered a
and armored cyclops, stronger trolls and ogres, then a red dragon (which I didnt even attempt to fight) and then headed into the fort. Quest was almost to the end, but I died
and the last autosave had been 20 mins earlier. Kinda bummed that I need to redo it. but godamn that was a journey.

Teknoman

Its really helpful to travel of the main paths, and do a little rock/ruins climbing. You never know what you'll find. I'm thinking about gifting a mage pawn a really rare staff I found...or at least I think its rare.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Will a forgery of a portcyrstal work?

I'm saving up to pay Mountebank's extortionate price at the moment to find out. For 300,000 gold it damned well better.

Man, anyone know where I can find some better daggers, swords, magic shields, and shortbows/longbows?

How far are you? The easiest way to get better weapons if you've
met with the Duke
is to do the Idol Worship quest that you get from the Gran Soren weapon merchant.

Cth

I'm saving up to pay Mountebank's extortionate price at the moment to find out. For 300,000 gold it damned well better.

met with the Duke
is to do the Idol Worship quest that you get from the Gran Soren weapon merchant.

I just read on GameFAQs that it won't work, but..

you get an achievement for forging a magic item

Anyone who saved 300,000 should now rent my pawn Hawkeye :D

Gamertag: Cth

Cth

Man, anyone know where I can find some better daggers, swords, magic shields, and shortbows/longbows?

Tomb of the Unknown Adventurer spawns some nice items.

Daggers/Swords with permanent flame effects for starters.

Of course, it's guarded :D

Kard8p3

met with the Duke

When do I get to
meet the duke?
I haven't done all of those missions from the knight in Gran Soren, but I've done most I think. I knew about the idol quest, I just didn't know when I could unlock it :(. I have everything good bought from merchant in Gran Soren.

Also, about the idol worship quest..
who should I give the gold idol to? The guy, or the girl? Also..where is the silver idol?

edit: I'll add you Cth!

Grisby

I found that grimoire thingy on top of the castle tower. Does something bad happen if I forge it? A rift pawn is telling me I aught to.

Top Bottom