• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

You don't need to fight the drake in Devilfire. You can hug the mountains to keep it from ever spotting you or you can just run like hell when it sees you.

If I'm remembering the cypher quest correctly you're looking for the Black Cat. It's down near the southeastern corner of Gran Soren in a small alley. If you've done the mission for Mason where you have to tail someone at night then the place you tailed the guy to is Madeleine's shop, which is directly across the street from the Black Cat.

Usually your pawns will mention something about having forgeries made or talking to the scrivener when you get near to the Black Cat, which is an easy way to know you're nearby. It's a little tucked away and kind of easy to miss. If all else fails you could go find Fournival in the Noble's Quarter. If you just stick with him long enough eventually part of his daily routine has him visit the Black Cat.

Oooh, ok, that makes more sense. The quest dialogue says "reclaim the fortress from the dragon" or something, so I assumed I had to fight that drake.

I'd already spoken to the Black Cat, but after another 10 minutes of running around I finally got a quest marker taking me to the next person in the quest chain.

Once you switch vocation, can you go back to your previous one and still have all the skills you bought? I want to make my Mage into a Sorcerer, but I don't know if my party would work out without a healer.

Ashler

Scared myself shitless yesterday, while performing a mission at night (I know, right?).
At the time I took this shot, I was running forward when I saw a shadow flash before my eyes. The scare made me pause the game instinctively and this was what I took a shot of, about 1 second before i died:

DragonsDogmaScreenshot.jpg

So I stopped paying attention to this game for a while since I was looking forward to Diablo III. But lo and behold D3 sucks. So how did this game turn out? Good atmosphere? Good gameplay? Good game for D'Souls fans?

Esura

Banned
Strider probably has the most options. The game rewards offense over defense imo, so shields are often a waste. That being said, a fighter pawn can be pro, taking aggro but still wrecking shop.

I went for Strider and I was wondering if weight and height matters for a Strider. My character's height is 180 and his weight is 82.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Oooh, ok, that makes more sense. The quest dialogue says "reclaim the fortress from the dragon" or something, so I assumed I had to fight that drake.

I'd already spoken to the Black Cat, but after another 10 minutes of running around I finally got a quest marker taking me to the next person in the quest chain.

Yeah, the drake's actually just a wandering beasty like a cyclops or griffin. It's not actually attached to any quests. Your actual objective for that quest is the Shadow Fort, which is a ways north of Devilfire. If you met the drake you were pretty much within spitting distance of it.

That quest is pretty much the hardest of Maximilian's quests, though, so it's not a bad idea to save it for last. The one you're on right now is hands-down the easiest. The other two are about equivalent, I think, but the survey team one may be a bit easier.

So I stopped paying attention to this game for a while since I was looking forward to Diablo III. But lo and behold D3 sucks. So how did this game turn out? Good atmosphere? Good gameplay? Good game for D'Souls fans?

Atmosphere is great, especially at night, although the environments are, while huge, a little bland.
Gameplay and combat is very good. The class system has a lot more skills than the Souls games and classes play very differently from each other. It plays much more like an action game than the Souls games, you can jump, climb enemies, manually aim spells etc.

Yeah, the drake's actually just a wandering beasty like a cyclops or griffin. It's not actually attached to any quests. Your actual objective for that quest is the Shadow Fort, which is a ways north of Devilfire. If you met the drake you were pretty much within spitting distance of it.

That quest is pretty much the hardest of Maximilian's quests, though, so it's not a bad idea to save it for last. The one you're on right now is hands-down the easiest. The other two are about equivalent, I think, but the survey team one may be a bit easier.

And is that it? Am I not missing any other major quests? It just seems weird that the whole Mercedes/legion thing got dropped as soon as I got to the city. Thanks for the tips!

ixix

And is that it? Am I not missing any other major quests? It just seems weird that the whole Mercedes/legion thing got dropped as soon as I got to the city. Thanks for the tips!

In terms of the main plot quests? No, the Wyrm Hunt is exactly what you ought to be doing. There are also the notice board quests and the random quests you get from people with green question marks over their heads. The notice board quests don't expire, but there are three boards in Gran Soren to accept them from: one in the alehouse, one in the inn, and one in the Pawn Guild. There's also one in the inn back in Cassardis.

The quests from NPCs can expire as you advance the main quest. After reaching Gran Soren a few more NPC quests should have popped up back in Cassardis, and in Gran Soren there are a couple that Fournival has for you in the Noble's Quarter, there's one from the blacksmith in the Merchant District, and there's another one from Mason, the guy who hangs out around the Gran Soren fountain most of the time and first directed you to the Pawn Guild. There's also one from a merchant who hangs out at the entrance of the quarry to the west of Gran Soren, but it sort of sounds like you've already done that one.

I'm probably totally blanking on one or two that are available to you at the moment, but that's what I can recall off the top of my head.

Mercedes just sort of vanishes into the ether for a while after the arrival in Gran Soren, but you'll be seeing her again shortly, and she'll become involved in quests again eventually.

doh, i got tricked by some asshole to make a very large trip just to find out that i can't finish that quest. had to restart from last cp because it wasn't worth walking back. oh well, at least i've learned new stuff bout the terrain and enemies.

Atruvius

Slayed the damn dragon. It was much easier than last night, didn't die even once and didn't only had my pawn with me, who was pretty much useless since he didn't even try to attack the beast.

Only got some materials, nothing else, and jumped to level 29.

There really needs to be a better way to dump your pawn. I wanna go assassin solo for those INSANE buffs.

+70%! And another 70% at night! Nnngh...

Schwabe

my pawn turned into a wimp, since i made him sorcerer. after every battle he says "could we avoid further battle, master?" ... i wanna slap him -.-

someone else with a sorcerer pawn? what inclination do you gave him?

Noaloha

The notice board quests don't expire, but there are three boards in Gran Soren to accept them from: one in the alehouse, one in the inn, and one in the Pawn Guild. There's also one in the inn back in Cassardis.

There's a sneaky one tucked away in a corner of the Encampment too.

Oni Jazar

I had a pretty epic battle last night. Fighting an Ogre who is probably way too tough for me but I gave it my best shot. He had me near death but I desperately held on to him and kept stabbing his head. His rage drove him off the edge of a 3 story drop and we both fell as I was still hanging on to his neck. Lucky for me the Ogre's cushy body softened my impact. Unlucky for him the cold stone floor didn't soften his.

I had a pretty epic battle last night. Fighting an Ogre who is probably way too tough for me but I gave it my best shot. He had me near death but I desperately held on to him and kept stabbing his head. His rage drove him off the edge of a 3 story drop and we both fell as I was still hanging on to his neck. Lucky for me the Ogre's cushy body softened my impact. Unlucky for him the cold stone floor didn't soften his.

That reminds me of the Gandalf fight in The Two Towers movie.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So did anyone else think of this episode of KOTH during the scene where
the Duke chokes his wife while screaming LENORE LENORE LENORE
?

c5tp9.jpg

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm early on in the game, and thought I'd pick up a Notice Board quest to get a little experience, and chose this bodyguard one from the first village. Except it seems the dude wants to go to THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET through where all the most dangerous shit lives ever to "The Shadow Fort".

Is there any way to quit this quest or put it on pause, because dudes just following me forever and I'd rather not have to kill him?

Game is absolutely awesome though. I'm lost in the world of quests and beasties.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm early on in the game, and thought I'd pick up a Notice Board quest to get a little experience, and chose this bodyguard one from the first village. Except it seems the dude wants to go to THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET through where all the most dangerous shit lives ever to "The Shadow Fort".

Is there any way to quit this quest or put it on pause, because dudes just following me forever and I'd rather not have to kill him?

Game is absolutely awesome though. I'm lost in the world of quests and beasties.

Go back to the quest board and you can cancel the quest and come back for it later.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

I just did this one last night. It lead me to getting caught out at night in a forest along the way. A chimera jumped me. I barely won, then crested a hill right into a bunch of goblins worshipping a cyclops. No lie, I beat him right as the sun came up.

Most epic, memorable gaming experience I think I've ever had.

...then I had to run away from a dragon that tried to destroy my face right outside the fort.

ixix

Where is The Black Cat located in Gran Soren?

I'm gonna copy and paste my answer to this from earlier in the thread:

It's down near the southeastern corner of Gran Soren in a small alley. If you've done the mission for Mason where you have to tail someone at night then the place you tailed the guy to is Madeleine's shop, which is directly across the street from the Black Cat.

Usually your pawns will mention something about having forgeries made or talking to the scrivener when you get near to the Black Cat, which is an easy way to know you're nearby. It's a little tucked away and kind of easy to miss. If all else fails you could go find Fournival in the Noble's Quarter. If you just stick with him long enough eventually part of his daily routine has him visit the Black Cat.

Beat the game. The credits are rolling. No clue what happened at the end, but that's alright.

Overall I think it's a good game with a lot of rough edges. I don't understand how this could be Capcom's most expensive project ever. It's certainly ambitious in a lot of ways, but more often than not it seems like the game doesn't get things quite right.

There's also not nearly as much Monster Hunter or Demon's Souls in that game as I was hoping. Surely not the games fault that I had the wrong expectations, but Dragon's Dogma is good in a very different way.

And when the game is good it is good. No doubt about that, and I definitely plan to start NG+ later today and see if I can get a couple more trophies.

/fake edit/ The credits are over. Seemed pretty short.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Beat the game. The credits are rolling. No clue what happened at the end, but that's alright.

Overall I think it's a good game with a lot of rough edges. I don't understand how this could be Capcom's most expensive project ever. It's certainly ambitious in a lot of ways, but more often than not it seems like the game doesn't get things quite right.

There's also not nearly as much Monster Hunter or Demon's Souls in that game as I was hoping. Surely not the games fault that I had the wrong expectations, but Dragon's Dogma is good in a very different way.

And when the game is good it is good. No doubt about that, and I definitely plan to start NG+ later today and see if I can get a couple more trophies.

/fake edit/ The credits are over. Seemed pretty short.

From what I've heard, you're not done yet.

1stStrike

Banned
One thing I like about this game is that even at level 54 I can still die if I get careless. Also, I can still be surprised.

Wandering at night I was just trying to grind out some levels on Mystic Knight and so I fight some phantoms, undead, skeletons, dire wolves, you name it. I'm trying to find some other stuff to kill when all of a sudden I see a pair of glowing yellow orbs directly in front of me. I'm just like, "What the fu-"

Then a Chimera jumps out of the darkness and rams into me.

I actually jumped in surprise and was like "HOLY SHIT!" lol. Even if Chimera's are really easy for me to kill at this point, nevertheless, I was still caught way off guard by that.

Also, I died to one of those skeleton knights when my party was being ambushed by a Chimera, some wolves and skeletons all at the same time up in the woods on a separate occasion. Was pretty cocky and half ass playing. That skeleton knight wasn't fucking around, though. He deflected my blow, laughed at me, and then proceeded to two shot me.

I was just like ".......wat"

So yeah, don't get cocky in this game because it will put you in your place.

One thing I do hope they add with DLC is some new monsters/areas to the world. Nothing roaming the world right now is even a challenge for me in combat. I suppose Drakes, but they are more of a challenge because my AI partners get owned repeatedly over anything else.

ironcreed

Banned

Best way to get to The Shadow Fort is through the Ancient Quarry. Level up enough to clear it out (around level 20) by doing the 'Of Merchants and Monsters' quest and you will not only have a nice shortcut, but a new store with some good items as well.

Anyway, once you come out the other end, hang a right on the trail and stay on it until you get to the Shadow Fort. The only thing you will have to face on the way there is some goblins. However, also worth noting is that when you hang a left there is a camp and it circles on back down to Devilfire Grove. Just a mob of Saurians between the exit and the camp as well.

Frillen

I'm sorry but English isn't my first language. I bought a fighter skill called Vehemence and it's supposed to augment my strength. What exactly does that mean?

Sephon

This game has an extreme atmosphere, while trying to run to the female bandit camp during daylight I encounter a
Cyclops
who I start battling.

The thing is that I swear that it was high noon when I started shooting, but once he went down it was pitch black.
So all I could do was fire magic flares and fight of all the wolves for the remainder of the night...
It was legendary, I've never felt such suspense before.

This game has an extreme atmosphere, while trying to run to the female bandit camp during daylight I encounter a
Cyclops
who I start battling.

The thing is that I swear that it was high noon when I started shooting, but once he went down it was pitch black.
So all I could do was fire magic flares and fight of all the wolves for the remainder of the night...
It was legendary, I've never felt such suspense before.

Every time I leave to go somewhere in this game, I can say, it is always an adventure.

I really needed this game, I missed having the true feeling of adventure that most games today lack and this game brought it all back.

Schwabe

is there a way to make mage pawns heal? my party is running around with half health and they just don't care.

take some guardian and medicant potions from the rift store i think. so the pawns inclination changes...

new question: does forging the wyrmking's ring do any good for me, or should i just hand it in. i really had a hard time getting it. damn archer-dudes -.-

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, how do I enchant my own weapons? I'm sick of having to rely on my stupid ass pawns to give me the enchantment that I need, when I need it.

Aeon712

Ran into my first
dragon,
those sudden ambush quests never seem fair >_<.
The fact that it talked was a real shock

So, how do I enchant my own weapons? I'm sick of having to rely on my stupid ass pawns to give me the enchantment that I need, when I need it.

you have no idea how much I was hoping the Mystic Knight got that ability. I haven't leveled up the vocation all the way so maybe he does, but I'd still rather that than the elemental shield counters.

Top Bottom