• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Every time I leave to go somewhere in this game, I can say, it is always an adventure.

I really needed this game, I missed having the true feeling of adventure that most games today lack and this game brought it all back.

i agree. even if i fail hard i think it was worth it in the end. the sense of adventure is great in this game.

take some guardian and medicant potions from the rift store i think. so the pawns inclination changes...

thanks, i'll try that.

1stStrike

Banned
So, how do I enchant my own weapons? I'm sick of having to rely on my stupid ass pawns to give me the enchantment that I need, when I need it.

Change over to Magick Knight. They can enchant their own (and the rest of the parties) weapons.

you have no idea how much I was hoping the Mystic Knight got that ability. I haven't leveled up the vocation all the way so maybe he does, but I'd still rather that than the elemental shield counters.

See the above. I have it at level 6 right now and it's pretty overpowered. You unlock the ability to enchant weapons at rank 5 or 6 (I got both out in the field so not sure when they unlocked exactly).

is there a way to make mage pawns heal? my party is running around with half health and they just don't care.

They will never heal over 50%. You can make them cast a healing spell if anyone is down on HP (with the gray bar indicating it can be recovered) by hitting left or right on your d-pad (triggers the "Help me!" indicator), but otherwise you'll have to rest at an inn to get them back to 100%.

Alucrid

Banned
Change over to Magick Knight. They can enchant their own (and the rest of the parties) weapons.

They will never heal over 50%. You can make them cast a healing spell if anyone is down on HP (with the gray bar indicating it can be recovered) by hitting left or right on your d-pad (triggers the "Help me!" indicator), but otherwise you'll have to rest at an inn to get them back to 100%.

wut? my casters always heal me if I have some healable life left.

yea, i've been doing that. i guess i'll have to find other options and stock more items then.

1stStrike

Banned
wut? my casters always heal me if I have some healable life left.

Mine heal me, but not always as quick as I'd like, so in those cases I'll tap the D-Pad to get them to heal me a bit quicker. The AI can be a bit slow at picking things up sometimes.

I also have to mash the D-pad to get them to enchant me. They'll heal me first when I use it, and then after when I hit it again they'll then enchant my weapon. If they have multiple enchants, though, it's always up in the air as to which one I'll get.

"They're weak against fire!"

*gets ice*

Noaloha

is there a way to make mage pawns heal? my party is running around with half health and they just don't care.

Might also want to try hitting either of the two 'Help!' orders from your D-Pad to see if your Mage drops a healing field. Pawns will then run to it if they've got grey health to recover. I haven't been able to test that due to filling the Mage role myself (and loving it).

There's an assumption being made too that you're referring to half grey health and not a fully-healed health bar that's been whittled to half its maximum.

EDIT: beatened!

Sephon

Every time I leave to go somewhere in this game, I can say, it is always an adventure.

I really needed this game, I missed having the true feeling of adventure that most games today lack and this game brought it all back.

Exactly, this is the first time I get this feeling of accomplishment even though I'm hardly getting anywhere in the story, simply due to the feeling of adventuring and getting back alive.
I think the lack of quick-travel really helps this game in that sense too, you need trepedation and fear for your life.

See the above. I have it at level 6 right now and it's pretty overpowered. You unlock the ability to enchant weapons at rank 5 or 6 (I got both out in the field so not sure when they unlocked exactly).

oh hot damn that's good news. i switched over to a Warrior for some good augments and then it's enchantment time. And time to find a shield that isn't as ugly as the wooden one.

Thinking about doing the same for my mage pawn. I'm not too keen on the glass cannon style. Maybe I can get her some good defense augmentations.

Astra

Mine heal me, but not always as quick as I'd like, so in those cases I'll tap the D-Pad to get them to heal me a bit quicker. The AI can be a bit slow at picking things up sometimes.

I also have to mash the D-pad to get them to enchant me. They'll heal me first when I use it, and then after when I hit it again they'll then enchant my weapon. If they have multiple enchants, though, it's always up in the air as to which one I'll get.

"They're weak against fire!"

*gets ice*

Haha, yeah, the pawns can be pretty dense at times. However, while they do make some stupid decisions occasionally, they are generally pretty great for AI companions. I do get the wrong enchant once in a great while if I use the help me command before engaging a pack of Direwolves, for example, but will always get fire if my pawns enchant when the battle is in progress. Usually I get just close enough so a pawn will scream "Direwolf!" but not so close that they engage, then I use the Help Me command and always get the proper enchant.

1stStrike

Banned
oh hot damn that's good news. i switched over to a Warrior for some good augments and then it's enchantment time. And time to find a shield that isn't as ugly as the wooden one.

Thinking about doing the same for my mage pawn. I'm not too keen on the glass cannon style. Maybe I can get her some good defense augmentations.

If you want to play the class as more of a tank class it's pretty decent for that. Just remember that it doesn't have any aggro abilities like the fighter does (at least from what I've seen so far), so if an enemy gets away from you then odds are you will end up just chasing them around to try and get their attention.

That's kind of why I'm thinking of ditching the shield for a staff and using it as more of a long-range cannon with heavy armor. But, then again, I may not even stick with the class since it's pretty much a one trick pony in that regard. I'm already kind of bored with it, but that's probably because everything I fight is so easy to kill right now.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
If you want to play the class as more of a tank class it's pretty decent for that. Just remember that it doesn't have any aggro abilities like the fighter does (at least from what I've seen so far), so if an enemy gets away from you then odds are you will end up just chasing them around to try and get their attention.

That's kind of why I'm thinking of ditching the shield for a staff and using it as more of a long-range cannon with heavy armor. But, then again, I may not even stick with the class since it's pretty much a one trick pony in that regard. I'm already kind of bored with it, but that's probably because everything I fight is so easy to kill right now.

Unfortunately there's no way to trade the shield for a staff. If you equip a staff it replaces your sword or mace.

I don't really like the staff for Mystic Knight, it synergizes extremely poorly with the shield skills. You obviously can't have your shield up while casting spells, the spells you cast don't inherit your weapon enchantment (though they do get a power boost from the second tier of enchantment, at least), and you're limited to a subset of the Mage class in terms of spell choice. Add to that the fact that you have to give up your Cannons and Sigils when you equip them and they're a pretty poor option.

1stStrike

Banned
Unfortunately there's no way to trade the shield for a staff. If you equip a staff it replaces your sword or mace.

I don't really like the staff for Mystic Knight, it synergizes extremely poorly with the shield skills. You obviously can't have your shield up while casting spells, the spells you cast don't inherit your weapon enchantment (though they do get a power boost from the second tier of enchantment, at least), and you're limited to a subset of the Mage class in terms of spell choice. Add to that the fact that you have to give up your Cannons and Sigils when you equip them and they're a pretty poor option.

Ah, that sucks. I was hoping it was a sword/shield thing you could do for full on offense. In that case, the option to go staff is pretty shitty.

I'm going to cap it at 10 tonight cause it is pretty good for DPS and then I think change back to mystic archer. While I'm really not a fan of the lock-on thing, the dagger and bow abilities just have a certain synergy with them.

For example, I'm shooting something with a bow, it runs towards me and thinks it's going to get an attack on me - and then I flip up into the air and slam my daggers into the earth for a giant fiery explosion.

I do feel like my overall DPS on single target enemies is pretty shitty in comparison to ranger (like way less at times), but I'll just have to refocus my party to be more single target oriented for maximum DPS. I've already made my pawn a ranger and he's got that up to rank 7 now (he was previously a fighter and warrior so he has all kinds of abilities to maximize his DPS and boost his toughness which works great).

ironcreed

Banned
This game has an extreme atmosphere, while trying to run to the female bandit camp during daylight I encounter a
Cyclops
who I start battling.

The thing is that I swear that it was high noon when I started shooting, but once he went down it was pitch black.
So all I could do was fire magic flares and fight of all the wolves for the remainder of the night...
It was legendary, I've never felt such suspense before.

You know the gate you open after you get to the Ruins of Heavenspeak Fort? Stand there in the opening at night and watch as the sun rises. Then turn around as it is coming over the horizon and check out the gorgeous pale lighting across the backdrop of the mountains. Talk about a natural looking beauty.

deim0s

Anyone know where Mercedes hangs out? Couldn't find her anywhere.

Also, the roving merchant... I haven't met him even once.

On the quest Arousing Suspicion: Did you let him do his thing or interrupt him?

1stStrike

Banned
How do I craft? Is there a crafting store? Grawh

You can't craft anything in this game. You can combine items to make other items at an inn, but otherwise everything is just ingredients used to upgrade weapons/armor. If you want new weapons/armor you'll have to either buy them or find them out in the world.

Sadly, they have a smithy in the capital but there's no one there. It makes you think that they may have wanted to add the ability to craft stuff at some point but for one reason or another never implemented it.

Arcteryx

HAAHHAAHAH wtf? I load my save today, save at the inn to see how much rc I got over night........1.35 million, had 43 people use her, someone spent 85,000rc(they must have been pretty low level).

Too bad I can't spend it on anything but glasses or some silly ring :(. Wish I could convert it to gold for curative buying.

AkuMifune

Banned
HAAHHAAHAH wtf? I load my save today, save at the inn to see how much rc I got over night........1.35 million, had 43 people use her, someone spent 85,000rc(they must have been pretty low level).

Too bad I can't spend it on anything but glasses or some silly ring :(. Wish I could convert it to gold for curative buying.

Holy crap. I made like 10k yesterday and thought that was rad. Game just keeps on growing on me. Can't wait to get back to it today.

1stStrike

Banned

Da fuck? lol I need to see a pic of your pawn. It seems so random on who's popular and who's not in this game. I'm fairly successful bringing in like 30k - 50k a day, but nowhere near that much.

Alucrid

Banned

Yeah, I made like...40k once. It was awesomeeee

Fulmination is still god tier.

abundant

Msytick Knight would have been super uber broken if he could use Staff and Sword/Mace.

I agree. He is the most overpowered class as is, that would take it over the top. I'm only at level 36, yet I can defeat every Boss creatures, except the Drake, in under a minute. The Ruinous Sigil + stacked Great Cannons + Self Enchantments make you very OP. I don't even fear the night anymore because the Holy enchantment makes short work on Phantoms and skeletons.

1stStrike

Banned
1 person called Morgan rented my pawn and gave her full stars for everything but appearance

:(

I've got hurt feelings

I had a bunch of 3 stars yesterday. I think people are going to the rating screen and just being super lazy, though, with the rating since 3 is the default. The ones that gave me 3 stars seemed to give me some random object from their inventory, so probably just mashing X.

Though, one person gave me a skull lol.

I had a bunch of 3 stars yesterday. I think people are going to the rating screen and just being super lazy, though, with the rating since 3 is the default. The ones that gave me 3 stars seemed to give me some random object from their inventory, so probably just mashing X.

Though, one person gave me a skull lol.

Lol, that is good. Skulls grant curse, so its good for something lol.

ixix

I think the whole pawn rating system is pretty dumb and arbitrary, personally. It kind of reminds me of the player rating system in Demon's Souls in that it doesn't tell you anything of particular worth. If there's a sequel to Dragon's Dogma I rather hope Capcom follows From's lead and just abandons it entirely.

I always give 5 stars across the board and append one of the generic positive messages. My pawn usually comes back with 5 stars in the two vaguely worthwhile categories and less in Appearance. Scars do not seem to be popular.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
How do I craft? Is there a crafting store? Grawh

You combine items in the inventory. If you're talking about weapons, you can enhance equipment at the equipment selling shop/merchants. There's no crafting of equipment from just materials.

EDIT:Ops, late due to not refreshing browser.

Arcteryx

Da fuck? lol I need to see a pic of your pawn. It seems so random on who's popular and who's not in this game. I'm fairly successful bringing in like 30k - 50k a day, but nowhere near that much.

Support mages seem to be pretty popular atm, same goes for rangers(high levels at least).

Here's a quick pic(her on the right):
at_4ru3cmaa04d5z57x4.jpg

I kind of want to switch her to warrior, but we'll see.

And yea, I wish there was a little more depth to the pawn rating/usage system. Would be nice to have a little space to leave actual comments(for everyone to see) or to give an info on the pawn(what kind of setup they are/maybe even some lore if you're into that).

explodet

Just maxed out my fighter pawn. I'm thinking I should go warrior, but I've already have a friend's pawn who's got a sweet decked out mace warrior. Would strider be better?

Also, if I switch my pawn's vocation, do I have to rebuy his skills if I switch back?

Just maxed out my fighter pawn. I'm thinking I should go warrior, but I've already have a friend's pawn who's got a sweet decked out mace warrior. Would strider be better?

Also, if I switch my pawn's vocation, do I have to rebuy his skills if I switch back?

Any skill you've unlocked for a vocation will remain unlocked for that vocation. If you switch to a different vocation and then switch back to your previous vocations, the skills you've unlocked will still be there. Also note that Augments you unlock can carry over to other Vocations.

Anteater

My pawn a support mage, doesn't get much use from players, maybe I made her too big :(

I always hire damage dealers so I always hire sorcerers and rangers

explodet

Any skill you've unlocked for a vocation will remain unlocked for that vocation. If you switch to a different vocation and then switch back to your previous vocations, the skills you've unlocked will still be there. Also note that Augments you unlock can carry over to other Vocations.
Thank Christ, I heard that vocation skills had to be rebought.

Any other mage arisens having trouble letting go of the staff that's perma-fire enchanted? It wrecks harpies (and it doesn't hurt against Griffins) and it doesn't take an eternity to enchant for each combat.

I might have to carry it around and equip it if I finally get a staff that's worth switching out for.

I suppose because the majority of players like playing as an active class. To me the fighter is one of the technically hardest class to play as, and some people like that challenge, and generally the other "hands" on vocations. Mystic Knight, Magic Archer, Strider, Assassin, etc. etc are most used by players.

Few people I know want to "play" as Mages or Sorcerers, because they seem "hands off" so they are the most made pawns.

Arcteryx

My pawn a support mage, doesn't get much use from players, maybe I made her too big :(

I always hire damage dealers so I always hire sorcerers and rangers

I specc'd: High Comestion, High Grapnel, High Spellscreen, Anodyne(will switch to High later when its more useful maybe), High Halidom, Holy Affinity.

I see a lot of fire/ice mages but not too many with holy stuff, that's why I went that route.

ixix

Support mages seem to be pretty popular atm, same goes for rangers(high levels at least).

Yeah, I've noticed my pawn is getting way more action as a Ranger. My progression went Fighter -> Warrior -> Strider -> Ranger and I was getting plenty of notices of my pawn returning from helping another Arisen for the Fighter and Warrior stretches, but as soon as I made the switch to Strider activity fell straight off a cliff. I think my pawn got used all of twice the entire time I was maxing out Strider.

Now that Strider is done and Ranger is the new vocation of the day I'm back to regularly getting those delicious rocks and rift crystals. Level 40-45 Striders are super unpopular it seems.

Funny thing is that I noticed very little change in combat efficacy going from Strider to Ranger. Public opinion is a fickle thing.

Anteater

I specc'd: High Comestion, High Grapnel, High Spellscreen, Anodyne(will switch to High later when its more useful maybe), High Halidom, Holy Affinity.

I see a lot of fire/ice mages but not too many with holy stuff, that's why I went that route.

Yea holy affinity is what I specced too, but I think I gave her too many support spells than the damage ones since I'm a fighter and I hire sorcerers for damage, so she probably isn't too appealing

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Just finishing up what is essentially a 12 hour long marathon of play (sadly offline .. :( wish i could have helped out some others pawns but alas....)

Anyways.... I have turned a corner. I have how I like my assassin just about right. I know what kind of pawns i need for what kind of missions... I know certain pawns that always just do right be me and mine every single time. Went all the way up past that female bandit camp to hunt a chimera i saw there the first time i went up that mountain wwaaaaaayyyyyyy back at the start of my game and it was a good fight. Still hitting them for about 1/5th or 1/4th of a lifebar if they aren't in battle stance for those first few shots.
But... Dire Gouge... with the heated sword... oooooooohhhhh snap son. SAID SNAP.

I finally worked my way around to doing the griffon mission and it's just so funny .. everyone is so terrified and me and my pawn just mob up and do our thing. I can grapple just behind a griffon's leg ANYWHERE and as long as i gouge it seems like his wings always go up. The second one i killed (outside GS directly after the Blue Tower mission) couldn't have been longer than a minute after it touched down. So.... much..... dps. So glorious.
Also fought my first Golem this morning. Not as bad as a i thought but you really MUST go for those crystals. At the very least.. i know where to find freakin magic ore now! Huzzah!

For those wondering - ie no one- I specked everything out so it's always usable whenever but more or less it tilts like:
Sword - Bow - Big monster hunter. Big money ... such huge damage.
Keep daggers on you - switch when there's a TON of man sized targets. Instant reset. Are you kidding me? Snake bite and master kill both are delish and then biting wind i mean .. good bye bandits. It was fun and all.
And Lyncean sight just .. bah ... BAH i say. Head shots just ... BAH. They can't see you. It's multiplying your damage by soooooo much. One shot kills all over the godamn place.

This shit is amazing. I am sold all over. I want 5 copies. Inside of me.

Quick questions for those who beat it already:
I have the permanent fire enchanted sword and the Undulant and i'm reluctant to sell either one as I think both might be useful. Is this right? should I ditch the fire as soon as I upgrade the Undulant?
Where can i find/how do you make "Dappled Ore" I wanna upgrade SO FUCKIN BAD and there are like ... maybe 3 ingredients for 3 of my more important pieces of armor/weapons that i just can't find. That being one of the worst offenders.

If someone knows of an assassin style one handed sword that ol Eppy would just juke and cream for without all the huss and fuss freakin TELL ME WHERE IT IS ... i don't mind. It's not a spoiler. I'm just tired of sitting on the same gear for sooooo long.

Anyways... Can't wait till i also find some straight up assassin gear. Jesus this stuff is so good. SOOOO GOOD.

Pawny goodness.
I thought it was especially odd that my large capable damage tank fighter version of my pawn got almost no love at all... but as soon as i got him a full face helmet and a 2 handed zweinhander looking thing i regular come back from hours long play sessions to 10 or 15k plus. And i have yet to spend a single crystal.

Arcteryx

Just finishing up what is essentially a 12 hour long marathon of play (sadly offline .. :( wish i could have helped out some others pawns but alas....)

Anyways.... I have turned a corner. I have how I like my assassin just about right. I know what kind of pawns i need for what kind of missions... I know certain pawns that always just do right be me and mine every single time. Went all the way up past that female bandit camp to hunt a chimera i saw there the first time i went up that mountain wwaaaaaayyyyyyy back at the start of my game and it was a good fight. Still hitting them for about 1/5th or 1/4th of a lifebar if they aren't in battle stance for those first few shots.
But... Dire Gouge... with the heated sword... oooooooohhhhh snap son. SAID SNAP.

I finally worked my way around to doing the griffon mission and it's just so funny .. everyone is so terrified and me and my pawn just mob up and do our thing. I can grapple just behind a griffon's leg ANYWHERE and as long as i gouge it seems like his wings always go up. The second one i killed (outside GS directly after the Blue Tower mission) couldn't have been longer than a minute after it touched down. So.... much..... dps. So glorious.
Also fought my first Golem this morning. Not as bad as a i thought but you really MUST go for those crystals. At the very least.. i know where to find freakin magic ore now! Huzzah!

For those wondering - ie no one- I specked everything out so it's always usable whenever but more or less it tilts like:
Sword - Bow - Big monster hunter. Big money ... such huge damage.
Keep daggers on you - switch when there's a TON of man sized targets. Instant reset. Are you kidding me? Snake bite and master kill both are delish and then biting wind i mean .. good bye bandits. It was fun and all.
And Lyncean sight just .. bah ... BAH i say. Head shots just ... BAH. They can't see you. It's multiplying your damage by soooooo much. One shot kills all over the godamn place.

This shit is amazing. I am sold all over. I want 5 copies. Inside of me.

Quick questions for those who beat it already:
I have the permanent fire enchanted sword and the Undulant and i'm reluctant to sell either one as I think both might be useful. Is this right? should I ditch the fire as soon as I upgrade the Undulant?
Where can i find/how do you make "Dappled Ore" I wanna upgrade SO FUCKIN BAD and there are like ... maybe 3 ingredients for 3 of my more important pieces of armor/weapons that i just can't find. That being one of the worst offenders.

If someone knows of an assassin style one handed sword that ol Eppy would just juke and cream for without all the huss and fuss freakin TELL ME WHERE IT IS ... i don't mind. It's not a spoiler. I'm just tired of sitting on the same gear for sooooo long.

Anyways... Can't wait till i also find some straight up assassin gear. Jesus this stuff is so good. SOOOO GOOD.

I thought it was especially odd that my large capable damage tank fighter version of my pawn got almost no love at all... but as soon as i got him a full face helmet and a 2 handed zweinhander looking thing i regular come back from hours long play sessions to 10 or 15k plus. And i have yet to spend a single crystal.

I picked one of those up, but I honestly can't recall where it was. Have you tried mining at all? It's possible that's where I got it.

And yea, I've had issues with some of the 3rd tier upgrades too. I've got one weapon that has the 3rd tier upgrade as "??????"...so I have zero idea what I need for it haha.

Anteater

man this game is sooo good when it toss you into just doing shit and exploring, they really should do something about the quest designs, maybe make it more seamless and just tossing you into the wild would benefit a lot instead of having to go through all the silly "talk to npc" stuff, the town stuff are really the worst stuff in the game outside of the main story stuff

Grisby

So if I clear out this Ancient Quarry near Shadow Fort I can get access to new equipment right? Didn't someone earlier on in the thread say that?

Top Bottom