• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Esura

Banned
Wow....I got overwhelmed as a Strider. My mage pawn and I got torn to shreds.

I think I might respect as a Fighter if I can take more hits.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
heh, found the rich guy's daughter in the sewer's, after certain events. I can give her 100,000. Question is...why?

Astra

Wow....I got overwhelmed as a Strider. My mage pawn and I got torn to shreds.

I think I might respect as a Fighter if I can take more hits.

I got pretty messed up as an Assassin. Warrior pawn, and two mage rental pawns. Ever since I switched my from Warrior to Ranger and back again, she hasn't been using her skills properly, and seems to be confused as to what she should be doing. I sat down with her several times, trying to change her inclination to be more aggressive, and she seems to be getting a little better, but isn't the destructive tank she was.

heh, found the rich guy's daughter in the sewer's, after certain events. I can give her 100,000. Question is...why?

Clearly she is a high class prostitute.

There's no way to load a saved game without returning to the title screen?
I assume loading a checkpoint isn't the same thing.

After watching this video (lots of spoilers) it makes me really wish this game had a good story. With this gameplay and a good story oh god... this would've been the game of forever. I really wanted to be engrossed in these characters, but I had a difficult time even remembering who they were. Like that Julien guy lol.

No kidding, especially towards the end I had literally no idea why things are the way they are, how it became like this and who all these people are even supposed to be.

And I think DD gets the award for the worst silent protagonist ever. Your MC not saying a word ever made a lot of cutscenes super awkward and bizarre.

Kard8p3

Finally! I beat that stupid dragon in Devilfire Grove, didn't even take that long! MK is crazy powerful!

gwDBo.jpg

I gave her the money and never got anything out it, even though I admittedly never actively pursued her after that. I ran into her once again and she was still just saying she would repay me at some point.

Frillen

Who sell ferrystones for 10k?

Also I'm fighter now, but if I choose to become an assassin but still want to use only a sword and shield (and not daggers and bow). Is it unnessecary to upgrade or do you become stronger if you upgrade?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
You can pretty much cast high fulmination till the stamina potions in your inventory runs out. It's kinda weird that bringing up your inventory doesn't cancel the spell, but oh well, came in handy during the Drake fight.

1stStrike

Banned
Who sell ferrystones for 10k?

The fat rich dude in the capital with the snobby daughter. If you save him later on you get to buy them at 9k instead too. And he always restocks.

So people bitching about "no quick travel" have obviously not found him :p I've been quick traveling like a mad man.

Esura

Banned
I got pretty messed up as an Assassin. Warrior pawn, and two mage rental pawns. Ever since I switched my from Warrior to Ranger and back again, she hasn't been using her skills properly, and seems to be confused as to what she should be doing. I sat down with her several times, trying to change her inclination to be more aggressive, and she seems to be getting a little better, but isn't the destructive tank she was.

See, I read up on Assassin and that seems like the ideal class for me. Bow and swords, does great damage and fast. Best of both worlds. But everyone says going from Fighter to Warrior to Assassin is better than Strider to Assassin. I was barely three hours in anyways so still time to respec.

Frillen

The fat rich dude in the capital with the snobby daughter. If you save him later on you get to buy them at 9k instead too. And he always restocks.

So people bitching about "no quick travel" have obviously not found him :p I've been quick traveling like a mad man.

Where is he?

Also I'm fighter now, but if I choose to become an assassin but still want to use only a sword and shield (and not daggers and bow). Is it unnessecary to upgrade or do you become stronger if you upgrade?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wish they had more voices in from the start. I am pretty sure a good 80% of the female pawns are all on the same one.

1stStrike

Banned
Where is he?

He's in the big mansion right next to the castle gate. Pretty hard to miss as you get a couple quests from him. He walks around in a yellow robe or something.

Also, you don't have to upgrade daggers if you don't want to. You just have the option of using either/or with the assassin.

I really hate that voice, I think it's the Type 6 voice. :/

Yes, that's the voice my main pawn used and during most parts of the game I could never distinguish her from my other female pawns.
When I started NG+ I actually changed the voice of my main pawn to avoid that this time around.

Zomba13

I'm not really enjoying Mystic Knight that much. I thought there would be more swordy spells (like enchanting my blade myself) and less massive tower shield skills. I'm only rank 3 or 4 at the mo though, near max on my fighter (I think it's fighter, basic melee class).

Dresden

I'm not really enjoying Mystic Knight that much. I thought there would be more swordy spells (like enchanting my blade myself) and less massive tower shield skills. I'm only rank 3 or 4 at the mo though, near max on my fighter (I think it's fighter, basic melee class).

You start getting group enchants like at vocation rank 5 or so, iirc.

Sephon

I can't remember the last game which had night feel as night and day feel as day, the way they do it by keeping the nights pitch black, really makes lightsources stand out and trigger that primal sense of comfort and safety.

And let's talk about the magical archer's magical flare, damn is it awesome to throw up a flare and see that pitch black night open up for a few minutes.
Especially awesome those moments when you have a few enemies in the dark in front of you, and when you send up a flare you realise that there's dozens of them right in front of you, a real movie moment!

The only bad thing I can mention is that I'm not really getting a sense of progression, too few cities on the map with an inn...

Grisby

Hrm, the Ancient quarry merchant items were a bit disappointing. He sells a "promissory note" though. I think it refers to Madelene, am I going to need it later?

Also, someone needs to gif a Golem fighting and dying. The animation is incredible.

branny

You can pretty much cast high fulmination till the stamina potions in your inventory runs out. It's kinda weird that bringing up your inventory doesn't cancel the spell, but oh well, came in handy during the Drake fight.
Stamina item chugging is also the only way to bring down troublesome bosses with Exequy. :p

I wish they had more voices in from the start. I am pretty sure a good 80% of the female pawns are all on the same one.
Sort of related, but why aren't pawn voices in the rift representative of their actual voices in the game? It's frustrating because it's hard to avoid having clones on my team without trial and error. The rift seems to put a placeholder voice on some characters that don't sound anything like their real voice.

1stStrike

Banned

I'm rank 6 on it and there's some group enchants as mentioned for the different elements, but so far no real sword skills. I'm going to max it out, but I really hope that there's some better shit in the next 4 ranks that will "wow" me.

panda21

damn it yet again i am left with no idea what I am supposed to be doing

delivered hydra head to town, went to the pawn guild, got a quest to go into a basement tower thing and got one hit by a giant gorilla monster at the end of it

I think i'm supposed to be meeting mercedes but i dont know where

branny

Yeah, it would've been nice if romances were a little more transparent in this game. You can do certain quests and unintentionally get stuck with someone. I hate the person who the game thinks I tried to court. :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh man, just faced off against an Ogre for the first time. Nothing I was doing was damaging him at all. He wiped my party, and I was near death and feeling helpless, so I lured him towards a very high ledge, then rolled out of the way just as he kicked at me...the furry bastard fell about 200 feet to his death. Feels good.

Yeah, it would've been nice if romances were a little more transparent in this game. You can do certain quests and unintentionally get stuck with someone. I hate the person who the game thinks I tried to court. :(

Can someone explain this "romance" option to me? How does it actually manifest?

Oh man, just faced off against an Ogre for the first time. Nothing was I doing was damaging him at all. He wiped my party, and I was near death and feeling helpless, so I lured him towards a very high ledge, then rolled out of the way just as he kicked at me...the furry bastard fell about 200 feet to his death. Feels good.
Pretty sweet. Read on if you want your bubble burst...

He falls down for everyone, as far as I know. It must be scripted, that or it has a very high probability of occuring.

1stStrike

Banned
I want to switch my vocation to an Assassin (from a Magick Archer), but I don't know...

Assassin is a great class. The abilities that it gives you, especially the one that boosts your damage/HP at night, is a fabulous asset for any archer. My strength at nice is pretty much doubled and I do insane damage.

Astra

See, I read up on Assassin and that seems like the ideal class for me. Bow and swords, does great damage and fast. Best of both worlds. But everyone says going from Fighter to Warrior to Assassin is better than Strider to Assassin. I was barely three hours in anyways so still time to respec.

Yeah, I went Strider > Ranger > Assassin (experimented a bit in between with Magick Archer and Mage). I lack the strength I would have gotten from the Warrior class, but have high stamina. Having all that stamina to spare makes you pretty damn deadly with a bow. I'm using daggers, though, so I am not doing great with melee. Going to switch to a sword and see how that goes.

damn it yet again i am left with no idea what I am supposed to be doing

delivered hydra head to town, went to the pawn guild, got a quest to go into a basement tower thing and got one hit by a giant gorilla monster at the end of it

I think i'm supposed to be meeting mercedes but i dont know where

Played this bit this morning. You're meant to be where you died. Level up a bit, rearrange your team maybe? You were definitely on the right track. And you can find Mercedes in the
quests board in the inn
, but that is an equally difficult situation, haha.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pretty sweet. Read on if you want your bubble burst...

He falls down for everyone, as far as I know. It must be scripted, that or it has a very high probability of occuring.

Oh.

I'm guessing it's just a high probability thing, only because I did set him up for it. Oh well, actually killing one will be far more satisfying.

Oh.

I'm guessing it's just a high probability thing, only because I did set him up for it. Oh well, actually killing one will be far more satisfying.

I didn't even try to set him up. He was kicking my ass so I was retreating down the corridor a bit...then he was gone. He seemingly fell on his own accord. That, or it's very easy to knock him down in that setting.

branny

Can someone explain this "romance" option to me? How does it actually manifest?
I don't know the specifics, but (nearly?) every NPC in the game can be romanced. They have some hidden affinity meter that you can raise by giving them presents (more affinity for their favorite things--ex. "favored by ___") or doing quests for them. It's really easy to accidentally get too friendly with some.

I'm going to attack my love interest because I want her to hate me. And then I need to find out where Julien went. >:|

Purchased this bad boy the day it was released but I never got a chance to play it because I went out of town. Now I'm finally going to play it. Installing the game right now, plan on being a Strider, but I don't know what vocation I want my pawn to be. Which would you guys say compliments the Strider vocation more, a fighter who handles the close-quarters so I can handle ranged, or a Mage who can heal/buff me? I feel like the Mage would be a great companion, but then I would be responsible for all the melee fighting. Any suggestions? Also any advice for a beginner, like 'be sure to do this' or 'lookout for this'? I'm not going into this game blind or anything, but I'm not really familiar with the starting area and what lies in its nooks and crannies.

I don't know the specifics, but (nearly?) every NPC in the game can be romanced. They have some hidden affinity meter that you can raise by giving them presents (more affinity for their favorite things--ex. "favored by ___") or doing quests for them. It's really easy to accidentally get too friendly with some.

I'm going to attack my love interest because I want her to hate me. And then I need to find out where Julien went. >:|

So what if my affection is maxed with 2 characters? I have Madeleine and the Duchess - both good options - but I wonder which one the game would choose for me?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is weird. My carrying weight went from light to very heavy, so I checked my inventory and somehow 40 War Bugles appeared in my inventory. What in the world...

Dresden

Purchased this bad boy the day it was released but I never got a chance to play it because I went out of town. Now I'm finally going to play it. Installing the game right now, plan on being a Strider, but I don't know what vocation I want my pawn to be. Which would you guys say compliments the Strider vocation more, a fighter who handles the close-quarters so I can handle ranged, or a Mage who can heal/buff me? I feel like the Mage would be a great companion, but then I would be responsible for all the melee fighting. Any suggestions?

Just take what you're comfortable with, you'll hire pawns to cover any gaps anyways.

Personally I took a figher as there seems to be a lot of supporting pawn mages in the rift.

Anteater

Doubt the ogre was scripted, scripted stuff usually are really obvious, it's most likely that the thing dashes around too much so the chance of it dropping off is quite high, most enemies don't stop running until they finish the animation

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Can I get some legit pros/cons on this game? I know people who buy games that didn't get a warm reception have a tendency to over compensate by saying how good it really is, but I want honesty. Things that are actually really good in this game and things that are not so good.

Zabka

Can I get some legit pros/cons on this game? I know people who buy games that didn't get a warm reception have a tendency to over compensate by saying how good it really is, but I want honesty. Things that are actually really good in this game and things that are not so good.

Not much story, lots of room to run around, killing stuff's fun.

Top Bottom