• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You can't craft anything in this game. You can combine items to make other items at an inn, but otherwise everything is just ingredients used to upgrade weapons/armor. If you want new weapons/armor you'll have to either buy them or find them out in the world.

Sadly, they have a smithy in the capital but there's no one there. It makes you think that they may have wanted to add the ability to craft stuff at some point but for one reason or another never implemented it.

ARGH i thought the smithy was out getting drunk during the day (figured it'd be an orc or elf or something). So I waited a full day cycle and he never came back!

so i thought he might have been on holiday for the weekend in cancun so I waited a full three days but no smithy!!!

(dlc coming)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This is weird. My carrying weight went from light to very heavy, so I checked my inventory and somehow 40 War Bugles appeared in my inventory. What in the world...

Hahaha, that's a quest reward for killing a certain amount of goblins IIRC. When you complete those they just dump the stuff on you, I've also had it encumber me with skulls for killing undead.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hahaha, that's a quest reward for killing a certain amount of goblins IIRC. When you complete those they just dump the stuff on you, I've also had it encumber me with skulls for killing undead.

Oh, that makes sense. What a shitty reward lol.

Can I get some legit pros/cons on this game? I know people who buy games that didn't get a warm reception have a tendency to over compensate by saying how good it really is, but I want honesty. Things that are actually really good in this game and things that are not so good.

The combat is the thing this games gets right for the most part. I think climbing bosses is more underused than you would expect from the pre-release coverage, but aside from that the combat mechanics work great and are very fun.
Story and presentation is the thing Dragon's Dogma doesn't get right at all. It's really quite awful and distracting.

I think these are the two points most people agree with. Aside from that you get very varying opinions on the rest of the game. Personally I think there are also some pretty considerable problems with the quest design and repetition.

Teknoman

So I stopped paying attention to this game for a while since I was looking forward to Diablo III. But lo and behold D3 sucks. So how did this game turn out? Good atmosphere? Good gameplay? Good game for D'Souls fans?

Whooooa there. Diablo 3 doesnt suck in the least bit. Dragon's Dogma is like moderate mix of Skyrim, Dark Souls, and Monster Hunter.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
The combat is the thing this games gets right for the most part. I think climbing bosses is more underused than you would expect from the pre-release coverage, but aside from that the combat mechanics work great and are very fun.
Story and presentation is the thing Dragon's Dogma doesn't get right at all. It's really quite awful and distracting.

I think these are the two points most people agree with. Aside from that you get very varying opinions on the rest of the game. Personally I think there are also some pretty considerable problems with the quest design and repetition.

Are the enemies diverse? Some cool areas to discover? Cool looking armor/weapons/skills?

Are the enemies diverse? Some cool areas to discover? Cool looking armor/weapons/skills?

Well, there are definitely very cool skills. Enemies are a bit unimaginative, but pretty well designed and animated. After about 10 hours you've probably seen about 90% of all the enemies the game has to offer, though. There are no particularly 'cool' areas as far as I'm concerned, but the game has a nice lightning engine that gives everything a pretty realistic and adventurous feel.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Can I get some legit pros/cons on this game? I know people who buy games that didn't get a warm reception have a tendency to over compensate by saying how good it really is, but I want honesty. Things that are actually really good in this game and things that are not so good.

The game wasn't received that well because it does have a lot of flaws, I don't think anyone here is denying that. It's just that some of them here don't find it to be a big deal. Lack of fast travel didn't really bother me, but it must have made some reviewer mad.

Pros:

• Lot of classes with unique skills
  • The combat, while not genre defining, is quite enjoyable.
  • Gives a sense of growth - leveling up and coming back to kill an enemy who gave you trouble gives a rewarding feeling
  • Well designed inventory with proper external storage system.
  • It borrows a lot of ideas from western RPGs, so you will be familiar with the questing system and other things.
  • Doesn't hold your hand much, you are pretty much free to do whatever you want.
  • The Pawn system.
  • Character customization (it's purely cosmetic).

Cons:

• Backtracking. As others said, lack of fast travel isn't necessarily bad, but the system could have been designed better. For example, reducing the cost of Ferrystones and Port crystals.
  • The story is pretty average.
  • Sometimes the Pawns don't really behave the way you want them to.
  • Technical issues like frame rate (didn't encounter any tearing on PS3).
  • Slightly high learning curve - you gotta play for a few hours to understand what's going on.

I may have missed a lot, but in a nutshell: It's an addictive WRPG created by Japanese developers, with a bunch of technical issues and design flaws. Your ability deal with these flaws will determine how much enjoyment you will get from the game.

After about 10 hours you've probably seen about 90% of all the enemies the game has to offer, though
Yeah, I was thinking about this recently. Maybe a DLC pack. :lol I think the game needed more 'minor enemies'. Seeing Goblins and Harpies everywhere gets boring after a while.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Well, there are definitely very cool skills. Enemies are a bit unimaginative, but pretty well designed and animated. After about 10 hours you've probably seen about 90% of all the enemies the game has to offer, though. There are no particularly 'cool' areas as far as I'm concerned, but the game has a nice lightning engine that gives everything a pretty realistic and adventurous feel.

I get the feeling I can trust your opinion, because this is about what i expect, based on what I've seen.

Probably will wait a bit before picking it up, or just impulse buy if I get the urge.

what happens to the items other pawns pick up when i send them back?

i feel like i'm seeing the same group of pawns spawning for me to recruit. is there a secret affinity system for pawns i've already hired or talked to?

will there be some kind of mastery icon whenever i bought all skills of a class?

thanks!

lasty, the mini cutscenes made up of in-game scenes are really odd. i wish they would have put more effort into those.

joe2187

Banned
This thing is lethal man...Killed my entire party then myself...how can something so silly looking be so fucken evil!?

414430_3828519558715_1449614938_3243022_902766689_o.jpg

458189_3828541799271_1449614938_3243038_719544985_o.jpg

doing the missing tome quest or whatever it is. I was at the quest marker when my bumbling idiot pawn (whoever made the ludicrously large and aggressive pawn named "Jerry", we need to talk) blew up a barrel and all of the peaceful bandits went apeshit and attacked us.

I'm assuming there isn't a negative to that since they were bandits and it didn't say i failed my quest or anything. While the fight with the bandits and then the chimera was raging on, Jerry was, I shit you not, picking pumpkins. He's carrying like five of them back now. too bad the fight took awhile, now i'm camped out in the fort till morning.

dammit Jerry!

Raptomex

Do I need the stuff in my "special" section of my inventory? Do they do anything? Like badges and stuff? I want to reduce my weight and store some stuff.

Arrived at Gran Soren for the first time. Thinking of what advanced class to choose from as a Strider. Looking at Ranger, Assassin, and Magick Archer. Might as well give all three a try.

I'm a Magick Archer and I wish the whole game could be played at night.

Also, can going to places early and getting quest items before the quest fuck them up? Because I did that and now I have a quest to go back.
I got 2 tablets from the water god temple by levitating around locked areas and now I need to go in with a research team

branny

Yeah, I was thinking about this recently. Maybe a DLC pack. :lol I think the game needed more 'minor enemies'. Seeing Goblins and Harpies everywhere gets boring after a while.
Yeah, this is an issue that stands out to people because it's the combination of having similar fodder enemy spawns in the same areas mixed with those areas being ones you travel across constantly due to being near the main hub city. It makes traveling through some places feel more stale than it should, but that didn't bother me in the Souls games like it did some other people (you can run past many the same way, too). It sucks because there really are a lot of interesting enemies in the game.

what happens to the items other pawns pick up when i send them back?

i feel like i'm seeing the same group of pawns spawning for me to recruit. is there a secret affinity system for pawns i've already hired or talked to?

will there be some kind of mastery icon whenever i bought all skills of a class?
When you send them back, the items on your pawns will supposedly go to your storage. This also should happen when they die. I phrase it like this because I haven't confirmed it firsthand, but it's what the game says.

I think the pawns you've already used tend to show up more often in your rift/game world--especially ones you've marked as favorites. I don't know if it's an affinity system per se, but it's what I've noticed, too.

And as far as I know, there's no icon for a mastered class. You do get a trophy/achievement upon learning everything in one (and maybe another for learning everything in all of them?). I don't remember seeing an icon or anything for my pawn when he maxed out everything as a Fighter, but I wasn't really checking.

So for the quests that disappear after talking to the duke, do they reappear again in post game?
Nope, you'll have to do NG+ to get them again.

Do I need the stuff in my "special" section of my inventory? Do they do anything? Like badges and stuff? I want to reduce my weight and store some stuff.
Some items have a passive effect by being in your inventory. You can get rid of most of the ones that seem like they don't do anything. I'm not even sure some of their descriptions tell the truth to begin with. Maybe some just aren't as potent as I expect.

A shitty quest!
I liked it. :(

creid

(This post is re: the trial quest.)
The second guy is actually
the gardener who you can rescue from execution after he's imprisoned for overhearing Fournival talking with the other Chancellor about very bad things.
I imagine he can't take part in that quest if you don't do his quest earlier, for rather understandable reasons.
Goddamn, that explains it. One of my pawns mentioned that they've heard people talking about
Fournival
in Cassardis, so I took a trip there and found no one because I haven't finished the
gardener
quest yet because I can't remember what I combined to make
skeleton keys
. There was even a quest marker there at some point, but it must've been referring to
the traveling merchant
, who was gone by time I arrived. Waste of a trip.

mujun

The game wasn't received that well because it does have a lot of flaws, I don't think anyone here is denying that. It's just that some of them here don't find it to be a big deal. Lack of fast travel didn't really bother me, but it must have made some reviewer mad.

Pros:

• Lot of classes with unique skills
  • The combat, while not genre defining, is quite enjoyable.
  • Gives a sense of growth - leveling up and coming back to kill an enemy who gave you trouble gives a rewarding feeling
  • Well designed inventory with proper external storage system.
  • It borrows a lot of ideas from western RPGs, so you will be familiar with the questing system and other things.
  • Doesn't hold your hand much, you are pretty much free to do whatever you want.
  • The Pawn system.
  • Character customization (it's purely cosmetic).

Cons:

• Backtracking. As others said, lack of fast travel isn't necessarily bad, but the system could have been designed better. For example, reducing the cost of Ferrystones and Port crystals.
  • The story is pretty average.
  • Sometimes the Pawns don't really behave the way you want them to.
  • Technical issues like frame rate (didn't encounter any tearing on PS3).
  • Slightly high learning curve - you gotta play for a few hours to understand what's going on.

I may have missed a lot, but in a nutshell: It's an addictive WRPG created by Japanese developers, with a bunch of technical issues and design flaws. Your ability deal with these flaws will determine how much enjoyment you will get from the game.

I agree with this list except for the inventory as a plus. The menus are unintuitive and take time to navigate. I dread the amount of time required to get all my business done at the vendors after a major quest.

When you send them back, the items on your pawns will supposedly go to your storage. This also should happen when they die. I phrase it like this because I haven't confirmed it firsthand, but it's what the game says.

I think the pawns you've already used tend to show up more often in your rift/game world--especially ones you've marked as favorites. I don't know if it's an affinity system per se, but it's what I've noticed, too.

And as far as I know, there's no icon for a mastered class. You do get a trophy/achievement upon learning everything in one (and maybe another for learning everything in all of them?). I don't remember seeing an icon or anything for my pawn when he maxed out everything as a Fighter, but I wasn't really checking.

thanks. this reminds me, i haven't even looked at the trophy list yet, this game pulled me in too much on its own.

ironcreed

Banned
Stupid snow harpies dropped one of my Pawns off a cliff >_<

Those things are a pain in the ass inside Soul Flayer Canyon. Normally they are not a problem, but holy shit, that place can be hell. Of course I went through there with one pawn, lol. The other two got knocked off a cliff by the cyclops at Heavenspeak Fort.

Tendo

So I'm sold on this game after hearing some impressions but I'm torn on which version. I am very sensitive to both frame drops and screen tearing... So which is worse? When the frames drop on PS3 how often, and how choppy does it get? Is the screen tearing constant on 360?

Schwabe

so, i came back from freeing the great wall
i thought i killed darth sidious... wtf?
... i think tomorrow i will go to end the story...

wtf, where is the inn-guy? O,o

Grisby

So I'm sold on this game after hearing some impressions but I'm torn on which version. I am very sensitive to both frame drops and screen tearing... So which is worse? When the frames drop on PS3 how often, and how choppy does it get? Is the screen tearing constant on 360?
From playing both demos the 360 version seemed smoother. However, I'm 20hrs into the retail game and it tears like a mother'fer. A lot. And there are fps drops but not to the point where it stutters.

Go with controller preference or something.

Lvl 20. I have no clue where I need to go for story line to continue right after delivering hydra head to some duke.

So I go venturing off to a bandit camp looking for some tome or something rather. Was hell getting there and now I have some to somehow make my way back to the city.Game is tough as nails and intense during adventuring particularly when night time falls.

And I love every second of it.

I think you are supposed to talk with one of the knights near the Dukes main castle.

The screen tearing on the xbox occurs at the top or bottom of the screen, so it's less distracting.
So it isn't game like breaking where the entire picture is split in two right down the middle.

It is also inconsistent on where it happens, like a lot in small empty hallways in the main city, but little to none when in combat with a dozen enemies or when viewing the landscape from a long distance away.

Frillen

360 version here. The tearing was bothersome at start but I've kinda learned to ignore it now. So I barely notice it at this point.

NinjaJesus

Anyone else having problems with A Hero's Worth updating? It says kill male bandits..I kill 'em, but they don't count towards the quest?

The frame rate can drop into the single digits and is generally not very consistent, but it's kinda aaalright. Didn't break the game for me at least.

Potentially ignorant question incoming, if I have Suasion on my pawn will the effects benefit me, or do I need to have it on my Arisen since I'm the one talking to proprietors.

Even better, if we both have it, will it quote, unquote stack?

branny

Anyone else having problems with A Hero's Worth updating? It says kill male bandits..I kill 'em, but they don't count towards the quest?
It says the location of the male bandits you should be killing. If you're killing other kinds, it won't count. I was wondering the same thing, too.

The actual boss fight isn't bad, but it's BS how they make you leave Gran Soren, go to a spot in the south, only to be told to come back.
Hmm... I guess I can see how it feels like a waste of time, but I appreciate what they were going for. I just think that if I'm going to be misdirected like that in a game, I'd want it to be a game like Dragon's Dogma where it's more meaningful. The feeling of desperately needing to be somewhere you aren't (after going through the trouble of traveling somewhere else to begin with) is a kind of helplessness games have trouble getting right. This exact thing was also done well with the first major story event in Xenoblade where you were also completely prevented from fast traveling for the proper effect. Dead Rising games also do a good job with this sensation by implementing time limits and not having warping.

It goes back to why I am disappointed in modern open world games like Skyrim, for example, that are overly mindful and respectful of a player's time. Quests like these lose so much significance with an ever-present fast travel crutch. It's the same annoyingly phony thing to me as every dungeon magically having some shortcut to its entrance.

Top Bottom