• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
these reviews, man! its like no one understands the racing genre in the mainstream gaming press. all the things that really matter in a racing game seem well done here, sounds like a solid if not incredible game.

The problem is that Evolution is known for making very good, very fun arcade racers LIKE Motorstorm.

You can't do a straight arcade racer like this and not have a "hook" like the pokecar games do (GT, Forza), or incorporate lots of various activities (Horizon), or make them arcadey and over the top ridiculous (Burnout, NFS).

And that's the problem, and what I meant by Evolution needing to stick to their wheelhouse for the next game. They clearly don't have the game design talent to compete with the GTs and the Forzas, so either go with the absurd like Motorstorm or give us much more "game" to get our teeth around.

Not true. Evolution made the stunning WRC rally games on PlayStation 2 - they made quiter a few of those. These guys have made brilliant proper car racers before messing around with Motorstorm.

Theecliff

Banned
Dear everyone who's already playing this game right now:
jack-nicholson-middle-finger.gif

Sincerely, a salty UK resident

That is factually incorrect. The best selling racing game of 2014, Mario Kart 8, is a circuit racer. Forza Motorsport 5 sold significantly better than Forza Horizon 2. And Gran Turismo consistently sells better than any open world racer.
Sorry, mass market was probably the wrong term. I mean in terms of broader audience and type of gamer. Want trying to tie it to sales and commercial success.

Maybe Codemasters are taking note and next F-1 game will be open world.

Codemasters?

Bernie Eccleston is trying to get a license to close off the Southern half of France so we can watch Lewis Hamilton drive around fields looking for billboards to smash next season ... the FIA is shitting it with the paradigm shift FH2 has brought.

Ploid 3.0

And yet the most popular racers around are Gran Turismo and Mario Kart. Circuit racers. The idea that open world racers have more of a mass market appeal is nothing more than a myth. It may appeal more to reviewers who seem to dislike actual racing, but that's not the case with the general consumer.

For racers open world is a bit annoying for actually racing, and route design. I love open world games but unless it's like driver where you avoid cops, do stunt jumps, or are doing missions getting away from or chasing things (to mix things up all the time), it gets a bid dull. You're like a armless person in a theme park.

I liked burnout paradise the most of the open world race games I had. Every one after that didn't really grab me, and I really hated Most Wanted (I think the city design and it's, "hide from the cops game design" hurt that one for me).

I just want to get back home and play. I'm not going to get to do that for about 12 more hours. I got to play for 3 hours though. I loved it. I didn't want to stop. Now I have to function today on an hour and a half of sleep.

Worth it

It's cool how in time trials, the cloud formation changes and parts of the race track occasionally have sunlight on them during certain attempts but not others.

If lack of content is what's driving down most of these review scores, I'm okay with it. It sounds like the actual racing is fun which is what I want first and foremost. While I enjoyed Burnout: Paradise last gen, the more open, objective-based nature of it wears thin quickly and the actual racing just doesn't feel as strong or focused. I'm not too big on sim racers either, so I feel like Driveclub hits that sweet spot for me. Of course, extra content on top of what they're delivering on launch day wouldn't hurt, but it doesn't make or break the game in any way. It sounds like they're committed to providing free content for a while, so the core game will only expand and get better.

Extra content for the sake of it does nothing for me if it isn't fun or it wears thin. The Crew is one recent example of a game I felt did this during my time playing it (and the actual handling of the cars was complete ass).

benzy

these reviews, man! its like no one understands the racing genre in the mainstream gaming press. all the things that really matter in a racing game seem well done here, sounds like a solid if not incredible game.

It's a great game that focuses on what makes a racing game fun, the sensation of driving and racing in well designed tracks. I don't even know what the eurogamer review is complaining about, the reviewer's metaphor was legit stupid.

BrunoM

That is factually incorrect. The best selling racing game of 2014, Mario Kart 8, is a circuit racer. Forza Motorsport 5 sold significantly better than Forza Horizon 2. And Gran Turismo consistently sells better than any open world racer.
Yeah because it's gamers buying them and not looking at reviews

Because these sites don't think that after putting complains in a game let's say like DriveClub that was never ment to be an open world saying but if should've been it would be so much better

They can not and I would never take a review of GT or FM serious from any of then ..

Just can't problem with some gamers because no 90% of gamers probably doesn't give a damn or wait for reviews to go out and buy games best selling game(games) of last gen can prove that COD ..

If these sites don't want to all die out the HAVE TO start reviewing each game for what it is and not what they make up in their head it should be because then no game will ever be good and your next reviews can NEVER be taken serious if the reader/gamers has a brain an memory

bombshell

Wow the review thread is crazy and only focusing on the Gamespot 5/10.

The metacritic is right now at a solid 74 and that is with the best feature still to come, the dynamic weather system.

Are we really going to be doing this now ???

I mean what are people going to say when the next GT comes out GT7 probably will look amazing comparing to even drive club and a sim and all but we going to complain that. Racing game is on a track ?

It won't have that problem.

GT World will heavily feature closed circuits, but it will also offer 100 x 100 sq mile free and open environments for the users to map out road networks using GPS and Google Maps with its Course Maker, set up racing routes, events and challenges in their own creation - the future is coming.

If Evolution had listened to me ages ago Driveclub today would be in a better place.

Radec

The metacritic is right now at a solid 74 and that is with the best feature still to come, the dynamic weather system.

yeah 74 isn't bat at all tbh. I actually expect under 70.

Hey guys, guess this will be a GAF classic with all the friends i have on PSN now :p.
Preloading now. 9 hours left before i can bump your cars into the side of the road.

And.. Fuck reviews man. It's an immersive racer with a lot of content on the way.
Let's have fun.

Gaf impressions, please!

Yup, 74 is a perfectly solid score for a brand new racing IP. Evo has done some great work and has a good foundation to build on.

There's plenty if great scores but people are just going to wanna focus on the negatives. So be it

Guys... something just hit me... DC is the shoot'em up of racing games when it comes to out scoring your friends.

You see their "fame" on a challenge and you can either forget it or try to beat them.

God dammit Sony the servers better be up when I get off work!

AndyD

aka andydumi

It won't get re-reviewed though. They really should have included some of the basic stuff like photo mode and weather, and without I can understand reviews being dinged. It's the nature of games nowadays, no matter how strong the core experience is, it needs to have some hooks and some peripheral stuff as well to fill it out.

In any case, I played this morning for about an hour before work and it is excellent. The night races are intense. Very dissapointed the servers were off though.

Hey guys, guess this will be a GAF classic with all the friends i have on PSN now :p.
Preloading now. 9 hours left before i can bump your cars into the side of the road.

And.. Fuck reviews man. It's an immersive racer with a lot of content on the way.
Let's have fun.

Leaderboards and GAF matches will probably be enough to get my money's worth.

Dany

Banned

Yeah, a dynamic weather system will make up for core gameplay mechanics.

i'm at work but i played the first 4 or 5 events. the first stage they decided to use was ugly. lol. like really. but after that. beautiful though. but even with learning to drift i play like it's a NFS game and not letting up the gass is lol. i rolled my car once though lol. almost did a front flip as well. hope the servers are up by tonight though so i can play then~

BrunoM

It won't have that problem.

GT World will heavily feature closed circuits, but it will also offer 100 x 100 sq mile free and open environments for the users to map out road networks using GPS and Google Maps with its Course Maker, set up racing routes, events and challenges in their own creation - the future is coming.

If Evolution had listened to me ages ago Driveclub today would be in a better place.
Wow GT really is going to be amazing can't wait hope they don't forget to add rewind it would be a chame a pure racing SIM would have me crash and then penalize me for doing so that would be stupid

Hope Evolution listens to you next time so we can get a better DriveClub

Saberus

Holy shit at some of the posts in the review thread. I'm staying in this one - is it safe here guys?

Hold me :(

WoW.. the review thread is even turning into a joke thread now.. Forza this.. Forza that.. even saw a mod getting into the jokes.. there is no hope for us guys.. ok.. back to gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom