• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
That review thread was just so predictable. The amount of hyperbole is just incredible (for a game that currently sits at 74 on metacritic mind you, which isn't awful).

And now come the concerned threads about Sony's first-party output, etc etc.

Gacha-pin

In a series event, if you won the first race but lost the second race, you can't restart from the second race. This is the most negative point for me so far.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Wait, are the car sounds really that bad? It seems like that's always one of the weakest points in every racing game. Why can't they ever get it right? FH2 would be great, except it's extremely inconsistent.

No, they are great, even the little hatchbacks. The first thing I noticed when playing the game this morning was how great the engine sounds were in my Gold headphones. I don't know who is spreading this FUD, but I can guess why.

I think one of the big problems with reviewers and why games like Destiny and this are getting lower scores is because they are trying to make a quick assessment of a game based off of a short amount of time and one playthrough.

This game and Destiny are getting lower scores because they don't have a long and engaging story (in DC's case it's the main content). That is something very geared towards reviewers because they need to play through it and move on to the next. But in Destiny's case most of the fun, for me at least, came from after I hit level cap and completed the story. That game keeps bringing me back and making me want to play it. It does the little things right and the core game is fun.

I imagine that's how this will be. The gameplay was a lot of fun. I'll probably blaze through the tour of this but all the challenges, leaderboards, club and racing against friends will keep me playing. As long as it keeps me coming back and I'm having fun, I'm happy.

Reviews just want to judge it on the meat but they're over looking the potatoes

The cars you initially start are horrible, you don't hear a thing..where is the clean loud rawness? You telling me it gets better with later unlocked cars?

I played Forza for years,( comparing the engine sound )you get spoiled..that's understandable.
Wait a Ferrari sounds better than a VW Beetle.. No way.... /s

You do realize the cars you start with are not monsters, right?

tmac456

That review thread was just so predictable. The amount of hyperbole is just incredible (for a game that currently sits at 74 on metacritic mind you, which isn't awful).

it really was

the game looks, sounds, handles and runs great. it's getting dinged because it's not open world, let's be honest.

the fact they are adding a dynamic weather system, more cars and tracks/locations makes me even happier

In a series event, if you won the first race but lost the second race, you can't restart from the second race. This is the most negative point for me so far.

Yes you can, it gives the the option to restart the round or the event

EDIT: When I did it I went to restart during the race and not after I already lost. Maybe that is why.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Loving the game so far! I need to get in a gaf club though. Anyone got any clubs started yet? Im down to join if anyone has any open spots. I'm gonna be playing this shit all day.

BrunoM

Watching the Giant Bomb quicklook, seems a majority of the well-informed games media didn't even realize this is an arcade racer. And even despite realizing that it is an arcade racer, they can't reconcile that with the fact that it has a realistic visual style. Their brains are apparently incapable of understanding how that is possible.

I mean, Jeff Gerstmann even mentions how the game came with a pamphlet explaining to game journos that you can e-brake drift corners like an arcade racer, and still he doesn't understand why it was designed that way, and name-drops Gran Turismo in the video several times.
See that's what bothers me and not just with drive club but almost every game reviews can't review the damn games for what they are not what they make up in their damn heads it should be or could be ..

The devs of DriveClub never said that it would be a GT like sim game the never said it would be a ridge race like arcade game they said they were shooting for a between the fun of an Arcady racer but with the looks of a sim and some features of it

And that's what they did only right complains I could take from this reviews would be the lack of things that should be there because they were said to be there thays it other than that wtf are the rewind talks the free roam the ai being to hard wtf that's what I want game to Challanges me be fun and make me want more

These sites are going to die and it's all on them for being stupid people hopefully will start to not go to them take them serious because if these stupid reviews and much other shit they do and put up .. Kinda sad when some 16 year old youtuber can review a racing game better than some ass that get paid for it

fritzo

I'm going to play the plus version for a bit. then probably upgrade later. I love that this option exists. I wish Sony goes back to those 1 hour demos that were on the PS3. I can't always trust reviews.

It's a thread to review reviewers.
To gamer's, the game will be fine. I already know what to expect and will love it.

Topi

Banned
Tried to download Driveclub just now, but I'm not sure what happened. It did download... something, about 3 gigs and a smallish update. The downloads for the DLC cars failed altogether (error CE-32920-6). Anyone know what happened there? Do I have to download the missing ~12 gigs when the timer reaches zero?

kyser73

Download finished. Will get to start racing 9am Friday, so not until I get home from work then.

Still, that's a Good Friday feeling to have :)

jiiikoo

Banned
Tried to download Driveclub just now, but I'm not sure what happened. It did download... something, about 3 gigs and a smallish update. The downloads for the DLC cars failed altogether (error CE-32920-6). Anyone know what happened there? Do I have to download the missing ~12 gigs when the timer reaches zero?

It will keep downloading the missing 12 gigs in the background. Press "Options" on the Driveclub logo on your XMB (or whatever it is called) and select "Details", then you will see how much is missing still. The 2,7 gigs is the PlayGo feature. The cars will download once the game unlocks in your region.

Review threads on this site are toxic. I just hope this sells enough to warrant a sequel and to keep Evo in business.

DC is such a great game and really deserves a chance to be played before someone writes it off based on reviews.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Review threads on this site are toxic. I just hope this sells enough to warrant a sequel and to keep Evo in business.

DC is such a great game and really deserves a chance to be played before someone writes it off based on reviews.

They really are, specially on day 1. It's basically the place where people who haven't played a game go to attack reviewers and/or other posters.

okay i have looked through all of PlayStation store.. where can I download the free version of the game?

It's not up yet.

VanWinkle

Really, we should be pretty happy at the review scores. A lot of people think the game is pretty great to fantastic, and some people think it's merely average. Nobody seem to think it's bad, incomplete, or buggy.

It's also going to be a better game in the coming months through free DLC and post-game updates, which is comforting to people who purchased the game (though obviously that aspect shouldn't have any bearing on review scores who need to review the game for what it is at launch).

MisterM

Really? lol

Entering PS Plus:
8th October: Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)
8th / 10th October: DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition (PS4)
8th October: Dust: An Elysian Tail (PS4)
8th October: Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (PS3)
8th October: Pix the Cat (PS Vita/PS4 Cross Buy)
8th October: Rainbow Moon (PS Vita/PS3 Cross Buy)
8th October: Spelunky (PS4/PS3/PS Vita Cross Buy)

Yeah, not sure why it has 8th / 10th though, preload starts tomorrow perhaps?

people are just, I dunno .. anxious? Too quick to hate?

There are more positive reviews the negative, and almost all the negative reviews point toward that now generic line of " lack of content " as the main downside. along with just plain stupid comments about what is wrong. One thing you almost never saw though was how the actual game was bad.

Hyperbole everywhere. My take away from the reviews is the game is solid, but wasn't a big enough meal for some.

Nyx

Entering PS Plus:
8th October: Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)
8th / 10th October: DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition (PS4)
8th October: Dust: An Elysian Tail (PS4)
8th October: Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (PS3)
8th October: Pix the Cat (PS Vita/PS4 Cross Buy)
8th October: Rainbow Moon (PS Vita/PS3 Cross Buy)
8th October: Spelunky (PS4/PS3/PS Vita Cross Buy)

Yeah, not sure why it has 8th / 10th though, preload starts tomorrow perhaps?

EU tomorrow, UK Friday.
Don't know why though.

jiiikoo

Banned
You people who have the game already, can you confirm if the AI is so set in its driving lane that they push you off the track if you try racing on their line?

Seen some say this on the review thread and i'd much rather hear opinions from the people who have been playing it?

Really, we should be pretty happy at the review scores. A lot of people think the game is pretty great to fantastic, and some people think it's merely average. Nobody seem to think it's bad, incomplete, or buggy.

It's also going to be a better game in the coming months through free DLC and post-game updates, which is comforting to people who purchased the game (though obviously that aspect shouldn't have any bearing on review scores who need to review the game for what it is at launch).
I agree, the reviews are a mixed bag, but there are plenty speaking highly of the game. A meta of 74 is pretty solid considering the 50 that GameSpot dropped.

Brazil

You people who have the game already, can you confirm if the AI is so set in its driving lane that they push you off the track if you try racing on their line?

Seen some say this on the review thread and i'd much rather hear opinions from the people who have been playing it?

It does happen, yeah.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Is anyone else unable to connect to the severs? Been playing all morning but haven't connected to the servers yet. Hoping it's not just me

Trigonx

I was online in the US from around 4am to 6am cst. I put ps4 on stand-by to do some things and haven't been able to go online since.

All I did was do a few challenges that expired within 10-15 min, got near the high score but by the time it ended someone else blew past the high score.

MisterM

As Driveclub seems to be barreling for the same arcade/sim combination as the GRID series, how does it compare, handling wise to GRID 2?

Brazil

Is anyone else unable to connect to the severs? Been playing all morning but haven't connected to the servers yet. Hoping it's not just me

The servers are offline for now, it seems.

As Driveclub seems to be barreling for the same arcade/sim combination as the GRID series, how does it compare, handling wise to GRID 2?

Much better, IMO. The cars in GRID 2 felt way too heavy to me, despite the fact that I like that game.

No, if you try to get in lane while being in the lead (at least a little), the AI tries to avoid a collision by moving to the side. If you're in the back the AI tries to hold it's position most of the time.

jiiikoo

Banned
No, if you try to get in lane while being in the lead (at least a little), the AI tries to avoid a collision by moving to the side. If you're in the back the AI tries to hold it's position most of the time.

Ah, thank you. Going to have to see how much of an issue it is tomorrow when the game unlocks for me.

Diamondium

Neo Member
Was playing for an hour and a bit last night before bed time and I was absolutely loving it.
-The tracks were so beautiful.
-The bumpy roads of BC made me really appreciate the effort they put into the track.
-Sense of speed, even in the terrible first hot hatch mini you get, was incredible.
-Cockpit views were nice, although I'm personally more for the classic view.
-I found it much funner than I should have making a Club logo.
-Paint customization isn't anything amazing, but it's nice. It has some really good designs, and doesn't take too much effort to make something look good. I could do with some more customization, but at least there's enough to make your cars look unique.
-Sound is phenomenal
- I really look forward to playing online in the future. Have played pretty much every racing game of the last 10 years, but I have never been much of an online guy so this will be my first online racing experience

All in all, I couldn't care less what the reviews are. I find this game a 10/10, and that's what matters to me.

Not to mention it will only get better with updates. Committed to the season pass last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom