• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, the game spent 10 additional months in development. Ten months! I mean, Driveclub isn't reviewing like a dumpster fire, but close enough where it's time to write it off as simply not being very good.

What? You would write a game off due to the words of other people? What if you was someone who has seen plenty of gameplay beforehand, and decided you loved the look of it enough to buy it? Would you still write it off then, just because it's been getting some less-than-stellar reviews?

Torgo

Wow, those low scores are ridiculous. I've been playing DRIVECLUB solid for 2 1/2 weeks and I can't put it down

Number45

Oh God...the comparison mentality of some of these reviewers gives me a headache. So what if it isn't an open world racer? Why is that a negative thing? Since when were closed-track racers frowned upon?
Kinda funny given the initial backlash around Burnout Paradise. We've come full circle.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Reading the review, gamespot calls the lack of rewind mechanics a "grave error" and also hates the penalties for car and track collisions.

These reviews are gonna reach full on stupid.

Whaaaat?

That's just... how about you drive better Kev?

Also, FH penalizes you for collisions too, so did all the PGR games, etc so..... basically you want to be rewarded for driving poorly?

Jashobeam

Im getting this game regardless, Evo worked hard on this game and it shows, I will support them in hopes that they return to Motorstorm.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
This is exactly why I don't give a shit about reviews. Your opinion of a game can be wildly different than others, who knew?

-Amon-

Not having rewind mechanics is a design choice, you can choose to implement it or not. I can't understand why it could be a negative for scores.

Loudninja

What? You would write a game off due to the words of other people? What if you was someone who has seen plenty of gameplay beforehand, and decided you loved the look of it enough to buy it? Would you still write it off then, just because it's been getting some less-than-stellar reviews?
Sad isn't it?

Only 2 hours and 15 minutes until the end of work! Reviews are disappointing but I played the beta and enjoyed the game. I was going to buy the game anyway as I'm in the mood for a racing game.

Reading the review, gamespot calls the lack of rewind mechanics a "grave error" and also hates the penalties for car and track collisions.

These reviews are gonna reach full on stupid.

If that's really what these criticisms are going to be about, that's pretty sad. For what it's worth, from what I played I haven't found the game to be difficult at all (against AI).

Servers down?

Seems so. I wasn't able to connect at all.

Sad isn't it?

It really is. People put soooo much weight in the words of other people when it comes to their purchase decisions. Too much, imo. Use reviews as guidelines, sure, but watching gameplay videos and streams is a MUCH better way to judge if a game is good enough for you to purchase imo.

From Gamespot. Holy shit. Have I been playing a different game?

Edit:

Jesus Christ, that makes absolutely no sense. AI is one of the best in a racer... and weird handling? Seriously, not one person who played the game complained about it. The driving model is incredible.

Good thing I don't buy my games based on reviews.
Opinions. Reviews like that are basically 'I have a preconceived idea of what and how this game should be, and it doesn't match it. It sucks.'

But who is to say that for the consumer it is everything they're after.

Doesn't mean Kevin is wrong.

Looks like this game will continue my trend of enjoying games with so-so reviews and having no interest in so called 10/10 titles.

THE VERDICT

Driveclub is the best-looking racing game I’ve ever seen on a console, but down deep it’s a more modest, conventional arcade racer than the sprawling, open-world types we commonly see today.

From IGN. I mean... :|

MaxiLive

The reviews seem to be expected? Its a racing game with not much new going for it based solely around racing with not much in terms of variety or anything unique. So for a games journalist point of view it just ticked the boxes with pretty graphics.

Not played it myself so I can't comment but I think the reviews are what you would expect from mainstream coverage.

I think it looks great fun but I'm not going for the purchase yet as its only the visuals that make me want to play the game tbh :p

EGOMON

lol at some of these reviews can they get any stupider?
Man I hope this game sells so well to prove gamers > journalists

Cheech

Yep. Maybe I'm gunshy over splashing down 60 on Destiny, but both Forza Horizon 2 and Shadows of Mordor came out recently and reviewed much, much better. I'll still try the PS+ version of Driveclub, but there are too many good games this time of year to waste money on poorly reviewed games.

I'm not a charity for incompetent developers. Evo should have done another Motorstorm and kept to their wheelhouse.

garyBig

Excuse me, but how exactly do these penalties work? Is it actual physical manipulation of the car? Thought it was just a point/fame penalty.

Putty

None of the reviews can stop me. The vast majority of you guys love it, and I'd rather listen to you lot. The gametrailers score looks good on paper, though I'm not going to look at the actual review. The rewind comment is just the worst comment of the day. Journalism at its absolute worst. I've seen enough to know I'll love, more so when all the planned updates land. Shame they couldn't of been there at launch, looks like they're paying for it now with some of the scores.

Don't care about the reviews, even tho what the eurogamer one says about the handling is worrying, I want the PS+ edition up so I can see for myself, hurry up!!!

From IGN. I mean... :|

So much mainstream game journalism is a joke. What is really sad is the sheer number of people who will get turned off buying, or even trying, the game based on reviews like that.

I don't understand.

Why does every game need a gimmick, or a hook? Not everything needs to be innovative ( not that open-world anything is innovative). Saying a game isn't good because it's not something it was never aiming to be is the laziest form of reviewing, and subjectivity at its peak.

Namikaze

It's amazingly fun from what I've played so far, this is why I don't listen to reviews anymore.

The only thing I don't like is getting penalized for being rear ended.

I want to destroy that Bentley for ruining my race

m@cross

It feels like some of these reviews are reaching for reasons to score it lower, really strange.

Wonder what the average score is if you remove the dip shits who are docking it points for not letting you leave the track enough or letting you screw up and get away with it.

Hugstable

Banned
Reading through reviews is discouraging, but I think I'm gonna play the PS+ demo myself and listen to alot of other user impressions to make my decision for this game.

Excuse me, but how exactly do these penalties work? Is it actual physical manipulation of the car? Thought it was just a point/fame penalty.

If you ram a car hard you'll get a penalty that locks your speed at 90mph or so for a few seconds. Aside from that you only get fame reductions.

OmegaDL50

This is like Godhand all over again.

Awesome game but with weak critical reception.

The fact that some of these reviews are hammering the game because it's a closed circuit racing title is fucking baffling. Since when was that was a negative? The hell.

Driveclub would have been untouchable if the developers had put a little more thought into it. It's a good game but would have been an outstanding one if they had done the following:
Delayed it till December
Included the following things:
Free roam mode. So you could just drive around the tracks in your own time
Photo mode at launch
Weather at launch
Basic driving assists on or off
Driving line on or off
Replay mode at launch
Very simple and basic things that would have made it much more approachable!

ajcacio

Banned
I'm not a charity for incompetent developers. Evo should have done another Motorstorm and kept to their wheelhouse.

By that logic naughty dog should stick to character platformers. Bungie stuck to their wheelhouse and destiny is a boring mess

Edit: I like the game a lot don't really care about reviews

It feels like some of these reviews are reaching for reasons to score it lower, really strange.

Wonder what the average score is if you remove the dip shits who are docking it points for not letting you leave the track enough or letting you screw up and get away with it.

I wish it wouldn't bother me. I guess I have bad taste in games, I'm even having a blast with Destiny.

By that logic naughty dog should stick to character platformers. Bungie stuck to their wheelhouse and destiny is a boring mess

It..s....not....boring.... last night I had the best gaming time ever playing PVP in Destiny.

BadWolf

I don't play racing games much so I might be out of touch but not being open world is considered a negative against.... a racing game?

What?

You don't have to buy DC if you think it's not worth the money, but saying that Evo should've just done what they did and keep to their wheelhouse feels like a disservice to them branching out of their comfort zone.

There's nothing wrong in them doing something new and different. May not be what we want out of them, but there's enough games out there in the market that I'm not remotely thirsty for a new Motorstorm that I can't wait two more years.

Number45

If you ram a car hard you'll get a penalty that locks your speed at 90mph or so for a few seconds. Aside from that you only get fame reductions.
That actually sounds like a reasonable compromise, to be honest. There should be a penalty for driving like a dick.

I'm terrible at driving against AI, which is why I often prefer time trial.

goonergaz

Driveclub would have been untouchable if the developers had put a little more thought into it. It's a good game but would have been an outstanding one if they had done the following:
Delayed it till December
Included the following things:
Free roam mode. So you could just drive around the tracks in your own time
Photo mode at launch
Weather at launch
Basic driving assists on or off
Driving line on or off
Replay mode at launch
Very simple and basic things that would have made it much more approachable!

lol

Wow, I didn`t thought that Driveclub will only get 9 and 10s. But these scores are just ridiculous! Lack of rewind feature? lol...Missing drivingaids? lol...too hard? lol...

And these sites are asking themselves why they are growing more unimportant from day to day. It`s just sad for Evolution Studios that bonuses and further projects depend on such "journalists", who do not know what they are doing.

BrunoM

Sounds
2 Gens old cars
Rubber band AI
No livery editor
Lack of mechanical damage
Delayed
Delayed again
Are a couple of things that might be said. I don't think racing on a track is on top of the issues pile.
See the delay and all I can understand and not at the same time in the end we have nothing to say or complay they hadn't taken no ones money yes they give a date at their own cost found that it needed to be delayed and they did ..
Some of the other points like lack of mechanical damage and so on .. That's people gamers and so on making the game into something that's not..
If the game dev did not add it did not see it for the type of game that they were trying to shot for why complain
I played years ago a FPS soldier of fortune when u got shot in the leg you would lose it and so on I didn't jump into halo and first thing was hummm keep getting shot my guy just twitches and dies weird ..

Get my point but any ways my point about the track is and stand all reviews plus most people here complay corridor racer no open world damn this is stupid if you like driving then a racer on a track is as good as an open world one and people keep bring up that horiszon this and that damn underground was a lot more ..

Any ways my point is just because they are both racing games they are really far apart at the same time reviews SHOULD always review a game for that game may it be DriveClub HALO or what ever game this comparing one game to another is getting stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom