• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear to God I'm starting to develop Stockholm syndrome with this game's theme song:

"How fast do you wanna gooo???

jesse.gif

But how fast DO you want to go?

Saberus

So does this game have a rewind button?

Hearing it still has that shitty Motorstorm rubberband AI is a huge turn off so I hope it has this to level the playing field a little.

Wat?? That's bull, Rushy has stated many times that there isn't any period.

Poor driving skills is no rubber banding .

Yep. Even if you're the top dog the game keeps you on your toes with the constant face offs. It's the twitchiest way to farm exp points I've ever seen...

It's like... here comes this turn OH SHIT DRIFT FACE OFF... Nailed it. Come out of the turn CORNERING FACEOFF ...Naile-- shit... Ok, next, AVERAGE SPEED FACE OFF, oh, I know this guy, I kicked his a- WHAT?! How the HELL did he get this fast here?!

Basically.. >.>

All those faceoff challenges...are based on individual cars, class of car, or does it not matter?

I assume it is dependent on each car, considering the servers they are using seem very expansive, and that it wouldn't make sense otherwise

Ok. Dumb question.

Watching some recent gameplay videos. Does this game have a optional driving line?

I am sure it probably has one because every racing game has had one since 2006 but I dont think I have ever seen one in DC.

VanWinkle

yeah, you seem a little concerned - its ok

First you say I need to stop crying, and now you say it's okay. You've come around to my point of view, then?

Your condescension comes off as annoying. You could try having a proper reply or just not bother.

Hoping the heavy rain effects on the windshield in cockpit view affects visibility unlike that other game. Evo still haven't shown off how rain looks in cockpit view so I'm wondering how it'll look.

yvmewc.gif

GT5 rain drops were pretty low res and the alpha effects were bad but overall it looked pretty good, visibily was definetly a problem with heavy rain. Wouldn't mind something smilar but improved upon of course with it being on the PS4.

iwccpf7zgu6rh0bunh.gif
iqowef50mjprax4uak.gif

No floating camera crap please. the replay system needs multiple sets of track side cameras, heli cam and a director mode like the Driver series.

A director mode like in Driver would be amazing but I doubt that'll happen.

Track side and heli cams should hopefully be included.

benzy

Ok. Dumb question.

Watching some recent gameplay videos. Does this game have a optional driving line?

I am sure it probably has one because every racing game has had one since 2006 but I dont think I have ever seen one in DC.

There are no driving lines. There are a row of flags at the ends of turns to indicate how difficult the upcoming turn is. Green - low difficulty, yellow - medium, red - hard turn

OmegaDL50

First you say I need to stop crying, and now you say it's okay. You've come around to my point of view, then?

I believe the confusion is from what Kumubou said a few pages back. About the upcoming patch being about dynamic weather being implemented.

In the sense of dynamically changing conditions in races, on the same track on different race it could be raining, snowing, slippery roads with ice. Dynamic in the sense that the weather conditions aren't static and can constantly change.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
yeah, you seem a little concerned - its ok

Couldn't help but notice your avatar. :)

Feel free to join up AG SYS in the Club browser when and if you get the game.

GT5 rain drops were pretty low res and the alpha effects were bad but overall it looked pretty good, visibily was definetly a problem with heavy rain. Wouldn't mind something smilar but improved upon of course with it being on the PS4.

[IG]http://abload.de/img/iwccpf7zgu6rh0bunh.gif[/IMG] [IG]http://abload.de/img/iqowef50mjprax4uak.gif[/IMG]

Yeah, that's basically as good as you could get out of the PS3 given how poorly it handles alpha effects. I expect GT7's rain effects to be much stronger since it won't be held back by some very odd technical limitations attached to the console.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
All those faceoff challenges...are based on individual cars, class of car, or does it not matter?

I assume it is dependent on each car, considering the servers they are using seem very expansive, and that it wouldn't make sense otherwise

Yeah, I'd imagine is based in the same class of car to keep it fair.

Some races allow for ample choices within the same car class, but if you look at the top times they all favour the faster car with most top speed.

benzy

http://abload.de/img/iwccpf7zgu6rh0bunh.gif
http://abload.de/img/iqowef50mjprax4uak.gif

A director mode like in Driver would be amazing but I doubt that'll happen.

Track side and heli cams should hopefully be included.

Yeah, GT5 is the only racing game I've played where rain can definitely obscure your driving visibility. It looked good for the hardware used but just having the raindrops is weird without having the mist of water flowing over the windshield. I'm hoping Evo can pull off a more realistic look.

BiGBoSSMk23

Pffff, you're underestimating replays in a visually astonishing game man. I want some cinematic camera angles to watch my drifts and driving and make my own trailers. :p

jvhlqd.gif

You got a point. But I don't think you'll get anything that cinematic unless Evo codes in some crazy camera AI, or they let you keyframe the cameras individually in a race then render it through those angles. But that's definitely a lot to ask.

There are no driving lines. There are a row of flags at the ends of turns to indicate how difficult the upcoming turn is. Green - low difficulty, yellow - medium, red - hard turn

Really? I could have bet I saw a driving line at some point months and months ago. That is dumb and seems like a bad idea.

I would love to know why they did that.

DOWN

Banned
Really? I could have bet I saw a driving line at some point months and months ago. That is dumb and seems like a bad idea.

Uh I saw driving lines just a couple days ago in one of these vids if I'm not mistaken. I don't know under what conditions you get them to show up.

benzy

You got a point. But I don't think you'll get anything that cinematic unless Evo codes in some crazy camera AI, or they let you keyframe the cameras individually in a race then render it through those angles. But that's definitely a lot to ask.

A year delay and not even the usual simple standard camera replays on launch day tells me they're up to something. :p

Because they don't want people focused on the driving line, they want people to be looking at everything coming up. Driving lines are crutches that don't make you a better driver, they just teach you to be dependent on them.

I think there might be a mid race challenge to stick to the driving line, similar to how there are mid race challenges for lots of things like longest drift in a section. Maybe that's what you saw.

What you say is that at certain corners there's a challenge to see how close you can stay on a driving line. Once the challenge is completed then the driving line disappears.

BiGBoSSMk23

I'm glad everyone is catching on to how this game works. Because it's definitely new and fresh.

Dead Man

Replay and Photomode aren't fundamental features, and not exactly unique selling points.

Why would gawking at yourself in replay mode validate what you just did in a game that tracks everything every player achieves at all times?

It's a waste of time.

Replay in a racing game is kind of a fundamental feature LOL.

Ploid 3.0

Because they don't want people focused on the driving line, they want people to be looking at everything coming up. Driving lines are crutches that don't make you a better driver, they just teach you to be dependent on them.

I think there might be a mid race challenge to stick to the driving line, similar to how there are mid race challenges for lots of things like longest drift in a section. Maybe that's what you saw.

I always disliked the driving lines, especially when I couldn't turn them off. The races turn into "follow the line that tells you when to brake" when they're on. You feel wrong when you don't use the line (edit: when the line is activated or unable to be turned off), thinking the line is the fastest way to go.

And yep, it's the follow the line challenge. Who can go the fastest while following the line or something.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Driving line is pretty terrible. I started enjoying driving games when I shut it off. You have to actually learn the track and the game becomes more than just a moving game of Simon.

I don't think it has any place in an arcade racer. It actually prevents people from being good at the game.

Ploid 3.0

I'm not sure if you realized, but that's Gran Turismo 5. You can imagine what GT7 or DriveClub 2 going to look like.

I actually thought it was real. I was thinking in my head, "Of course it's real, look at the driver." I have GT5... I guess I wasn't expecting it, this being a Driveclub thread and the images are so small.

HTupolev

Replay in a racing game is kind of a fundamental feature LOL.
It's an extraordinarily common feature. And it's nice.

I'm not sure it makes sense to call it "fundamental" any more than for any other gaming genre, though. I guess it depends on how you're using "fundamental."

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Driving line is pretty terrible. I started enjoying driving games when I shut it off. You have to actually learn the track and the game becomes more than just a moving game of Simon.

I don't think it has any place in an arcade racer. It actually prevents people from being good at the game.
ibrqe5ae8bqqju.gif

This is exactly how I feel about it.

viveks86

But it has been a fundamental feature in every racing game since 2006! They had a year and didn't have time to draw a line for the the duration of the race? The clouds must be hogging all the processing and memory!

HTupolev

If they have driving line challenges, they should be to follow some pseudorandom snazzy driving line that doesn't make any sense.

Bonus points if the driving line occasionally just leaves the road and turns upside down, forcing you to perform a barrel roll.

viveks86

So you beat a ghost, it has the next best one automatically? Oh god, I'm never going to finish doing laps.

Not a bad thing.

Yup. That's trials fusion on steroids right there. And with the day/night cycle, you can literally drive for days within the game without ever seeing the score card or reloading!

The game needs season cycle DLC. Imagine driving from Spring to Winter non-stop as you work your way up the leader boards! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom