• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHale

Last i head, one of the IGN Australia crew will be reviewing it and their pretty big on racing games.

If it is Luke Reilly then it's going to be a hilarious read. Might as well ask Ryan McCaffrey to review it if they are going after comedy effect.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Am I allowed to post captures?

Man... controls are INSANELY GOOD. Period.

Graphics = best EVAH in a racing game. Period. Lighting is insane, I can't imagine how good this will look with the weather update!

Two complaints only: there are some jaggies here and there (few, not much), and the collisions are kind of lame, but we already knew that from the videos.

Everything else is simply unmatched though. Evo has outdone themselves.

Pretty much.

There are some tracks that really show off how well this game straddles the line between arcade and simulation. In a way it separates those who understand the basics of cornering, braking, etc....

There's this challenge going on right now in the Chile observatory race track featuring the Maserati Gran Turismo (which I fucking loathe by now) that really shows off how proper cornering and control rewards your final lap time.

It's a sim in the sense that it's super accurately competitive but it plays more towards the arcade side.

I wonder what an Evo-made WipeOut would be like :O

Probably fucking badass?! :O

Interfectum

I believe there will be some validity to the potential negative reviews, though. As a fan of racing games, it seems as though--early on, at least--that Xbox is the console to be on when it comes to racing games.

Even if it does, there are some glaring missed opportunities with the game. To me, at least.

I think--these days at least--that racing games are more than an on the track experience. Even this thread is pretty much about waxing poetic about the games' visuals. I would have liked to see the type of customization we see in Forza. I know it was mentioned that the developer wanted to avoid obscene designs, but is that really a problem in Forza (I've never encountered it)? And, if it is, surely there's a good way to find and discipline those designs..

Just how people are hyped for this game based on what they've seen, I'm less so. I want to like it because I'm a fan of racers, but I'm skeptical based on what I've seen.

Luckily, there will be a PS+ version that I can try out before hand. Otherwise, I'd wait for launch week impressions.

I'm just voicing an opinion like everyone else.

I know what DC is trying to achieve, and I'm not sure it will accomplish it. I'm not asking for 500 cars, accurate physics, etc. I also don't think that a game that has great racing feel has to eschew other factors that make games fun.

You seem concerned.

I believe there will be some validity to the potential negative reviews, though. As a fan of racing games, it seems as though--early on, at least--that Xbox is the console to be on when it comes to racing games.

I don't think Evo make some strange decisions which will reflect negatively on the game in the end. Things like not letting players customize their Crew's livery (something that Forza has allowed players to do from the beginning) or even install cosmetic upgrades to the cars (something like Midnight Club) is baffling to me. Even the implementations of corner penalties and reset timers go against the culture introduced in the motor storm series (why so serious?).

Believe me, as a PS4 owner, I'm rooting for this game to do well and I hope I enjoy the PS+ version enough to go all in. I'm just leaning the wrong way on the fence right now.

It's a given this game will sell plenty. Motorstorm games are a blast to play and these guys made them. Everyone gets access to the free version and there is way more PS4s out in the wild than the other console. It will do fine and even if it doesn't light up the charts it will sell enough to generate a fanbase for future games... cough... Motorstorm... cough.

iH6I12gI3gL4z.jpg

ibev4HkgjUzVcn.jpg

iVRMWIOj1jB4r.jpg

ibzgobPI4dRGAg.jpg

iblbpNbRRwf0hU.jpg

EDIT: the jaggies are definetely less visible when playing, weird.

If it is Luke Reilly then it's going to be a hilarious read. Might as well ask Ryan McCaffrey to review it if they are going after comedy effect.

I don't know much about him, didn't actually read his Forza Horizon 2 review.

What's so hilarious about his reviews?

rich7sena

Banned
Yeah, this game probably isn't for you then. Personal opinion but I disagree with the bolded statement. I love just turning laps in a car.
I did paint race liveries in Forza for years, and it was fun, but loved a game like Race Pro even more. That was the definition of bare bones racing.

If I were you, I'd be sure to steer clear from pCARS too. No customization in that, and really, different progression. Everything unlocked from the start. Racing for the sake of racing.

Considering the one thing that most of us can't judge at this point is the actual racing, then I think we should all be anticipating this game cautiously.

I think everyone is hearing what they want to hear when it comes to my opinion of what we've seen so far of Driveclub. I'm not saying it's going to be a bad game, but just expressing the real concerns have for this game. Also, I don't think it's fair to judge a game like Forza and say that it's less of a pure racer than Driveclub because it offers more off the track.

As a PS4 exclusive I'm looking forward to this game (just like everyone else in this thread) and hope it does well.

lemmykoopa

Has there been any word on how "long" the game is? That is, how long it takes to beat all the single player races and challenges? I'm sure I'll spend a lot of time on the time trial online leaderboards but I hope it just doesn't take only 5 hours to "beat' the game.

Interfectum

Considering the one thing that most of us can't judge at this point is the actual racing, then I think we should all be anticipating this game cautiously.

I think everyone is hearing what they want to hear when it comes to my opinion of what we've seen so far of Driveclub. I'm not saying it's going to be a bad game, but just expressing the real concerns have for this game. Also, I don't think it's fair to judge a game like Forza and say that it's less of a pure racer than Driveclub because it offers more off the track.

As a PS4 exclusive I'm looking forward to this game (just like everyone else in this thread) and hope it does well.

lol

Loudninja

What concerns are those?

lemmykoopa

Also I still don't really understand how the club system works. I watched their club explained vid on YouTube but didn't get wiser from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom