• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kssio_Aug

It's pretty hard to discuss what you are suggesting when 99% of us in here haven't played the damn game.

Gameplay wise, yes. But the customization and infos about physics and stuff could be already discussed numerous times. I even posted a gif to discuss about an odd collision physics yesterday, and the discussion turned out being only about the damn IQ of the gif.

nikos

Oh god, people are already saying X is better.

"JPEG backgrounds, Sony should be embarrassed to release this."
"Windshield reflections copied from Forza."
"30 FPS, Forza Horizon 2 is better."

Think it's time for me to get outside for a bit.

Late Flag

I love how the sense of speed and horsepower picks up when Rapier moves up to the hypercars. This game looks like it has a pretty solid learning curve.

I'm glad you like 'em!

It's fun watching the streams, with people actually browsing through and using the menus in a real world scenario.

I need to say this too: the UI is incredibly well thought and sleek! Great job! Love how fast everything is. And the Home button is a nice touch. :)

Mifune

Mehmber
Watching the Joystiq stream. Game looks great. But why are they waiting two minutes before racing? Is that normal?

Salex_

I know youre joking but sometimes it seems that graphics is everything. Theres is no discussion about the game IQ, it is awesome indeed. But what about the clubs features (DriveClub), the gameplay and its physics, the car customization options, and so on. I'm not saying its gonna be bad neither, but we need to discuss more about. Thankfully, we will have the PS Plus version, indeed. It seems thats the only way we will know about everything else but graphics.

I'm just saying that graphics are good, but are far from everything. Ryse is such an awesome game graphically saying, and at the same time so mediocre on everything else. I dont believe the same will be applied to DC, but I want to know if the game itself is as good as it looks.

It's weird that people like you are coming here assuming this game only has graphics even though there's been dozens of previews all year and there's over 30 hours of retail build footage out there and impressions from people who has the game. I don't remember seeing any negative impressions about the gameplay. There's a ton of information on the events, clubs, UI, etc out there now. Open your eyes.

Games can be praised for the graphics and have great gameplay.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I know youre joking but sometimes it seems that graphics is everything. Theres is no discussion about the game IQ, it is awesome indeed. But what about the clubs features (DriveClub), the gameplay and its physics, the car customization options, and so on. I'm not saying its gonna be bad neither, but we need to discuss more about. Thankfully, we will have the PS Plus version, indeed. It seems thats the only way we will know about everything else but graphics.

I'm just saying that graphics are good, but are far from everything. Ryse is such an awesome game graphically saying, and at the same time so mediocre on everything else. I dont believe the same will be applied to DC, but I want to know if the game itself is as good as it looks.

Real talk, it's because Sony fans took such a beating last generation when it came to multiplatform game titles in terms of graphics that any game that looked like a million bucks was praised to the high heavens, even if the game itself wasn't good or as great as it's predecessor (Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, Beyond, GoW: Ascension, etc.) Now that the PS4 is the de facto next generation console as well as a graphical beast, Sony fans are looking to flaunt it as much as possible even though the game (once again) might not be as good (Killzone Shadowfall, Knack, I:SS, Driveclub). In my opinion, we won't see a game that force people to acknowledge both graphics and gameplay on the Sony side until Bloodborne.

rich7sena

Banned
If anyone's still watching the stream, Rapier is vindicating me a bit when it comes to customizing the cars' liveries. A deep livery system in Driveclub would've been awesome considering it's tied to club identity.

On another note, it's nice to see tracks I haven't seen before.

C4EMGEN

I need to say this too: the UI is incredibly well thought and sleek! Great job! Love how fast everything is. And the Home button is a nice touch. :)

Yes, the Home button is crucial in a dynamic menu like this.
You can potentially go down an endless path, hopping from player to club, to player, to challenge, to club and so on.
Imaging having to press the Circle button 50 times to get back to the main menu.

Did you work on them? Layout seems straightforward and transitions look smooth.

Yes I did, as Lead UX/UI Designer.

benzy

Gameplay wise, yes. But the customization and infos about physics and stuff could be already discussed numerous times. I even posted a gif to discuss about an odd collision physics yesterday, and the discussion turned out being only about the damn IQ of the gif.

Thankfully the collision physics aren't realistic. Considering how aggressive the AI is and how often they don't mind ramming into you, if they bump into me at high speeds and cause me to spin out every single time then I'd get pretty pissed. It happens with the Nascar oval races in GT6, AI tailgaters from behind always spinning me out with a light touch.

Kssio_Aug

Seems like a lot of stuff many will need to go hands on with.
The features and functions all seem really sleekly and seamlessly integrated, based on some of the streams I've seen, and the choice few that do have the game are already engaged in some furious competition.

I think once the game releases, there's going to be a larger than expected flurry of activity.

Hopefully with this early access impressions we will gather much more info (probably we will).

It was at E3 and it had decent lines. You can't customize your driving experience by turning off assists etc or make damage more than cosmetic, so those are my biggest issues with it's gameplay.

Thanks Ape, I didnt know that. So, lets say that theres only "one" mode for physics and everything else. Yeah, I dont like the sound of it neither...

Is there any video or picture that show the cosmetic customizations? I know it wont be mechanical customization (given the "no customization under the hood" statement a time ago) but I could not find anything about the cosmetics.

Kssio_Aug

It's weird that people like you are coming here assuming this game only has graphics even though there's been dozens of previews all year and there's over 30 hours of retail build footage out there and impressions from people who has the game. I don't remember seeing any negative impressions about the gameplay. There's a ton of information on the struction of the game out there now. Open your eyes.

Games can be praised for the graphics and have great gameplay.

Ive seen plenty of bad impressions about the gameplay. Specially about the old build that almost got released some months ago (on its original release date). I mean, not necessarily bad, but not good either.

Thankfully the collision physics aren't realistic. Considering how aggressive the AI is and how often they don't mind ramming into you, if they bump into me at high speeds and cause me to spin out every single time then I'd get pretty pissed. It happens with the Nascar oval races in GT6, AI tailgaters from behind always spinning me out with a light touch.

Maybe they could ballance it with a more polite AI? But yeah, with a more arcadey gameplay maybe it wont affect the game so negatively.

rich7sena

Banned
Ive seen plenty of bad impressions about the gameplay. Specially about the old build that almost got released some months ago (on its original release date). I mean, not necessarily bad, but not good either.

The recent Gamersyde stream wasn't all that positive either. It seems like professional reviewers are mild when it comes to this game.

Still, we will ALL have a chance to find out for ourselves.

TEH-CJ

Banned
lvZS2ou.png

Driveclub is as fun as doing taxes confirmed.

Put that on the back of the box.

Oh fuck...plz dont be bad

fedexpeon

Banned
Not talking about the load times, but the timer countdown. It's set to like 2 minutes before they can even race, presumably to allow other club members or players to join.

Yup.
Each online event is literally like an event in real life where you need to get your club application in, and schedule to meet up before the deadline.
I guess they want to replicate that feeling of companionship when you guys have to decide in which racing event you guys want to join up for.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Well I'm glad that's done. Chat was a nightmare. Buh-bye twitch account though lol

Watching the Joystiq stream. Game looks great. But why are they waiting two minutes before racing? Is that normal?
I thought it was quite obvious but they didn't seem to grasp it very well.

There were various sort of 'open lobbies', each with their own time count down. Basically you have a set time to join an event, if you want to play in it.

Some of them were starting within the next 15 seconds, some 45 etc. They just kept scrolling to the ones closing in 2 minutes time.

Mifune

Mehmber
I thought it was quite obvious but they didn't seem to grasp it very well.

There were various sort of 'open lobbies', each with their own time count down. Basically you have a set time to join an event, if you want to play in it.

Some of them were starting within the next 15 seconds, some 45 etc. They just kept scrolling to the ones closing in 2 minutes time.

Haha okay. Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't watching too closely, I guess.

Real talk, it's because Sony fans took such a beating last generation when it came to multiplatform game titles in terms of graphics that any game that looked like a million bucks was praised to the high heavens, even if the game itself wasn't good or as great as it's predecessor (Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, Beyond, GoW: Ascension, etc.) Now that the PS4 is the de facto next generation console as well as a graphical beast, Sony fans are looking to flaunt it as much as possible even though the game (once again) might not be as good (Killzone Shadowfall, Knack, I:SS, Driveclub). In my opinion, we won't see a game that force people to acknowledge both graphics and gameplay on the Sony side until Bloodborne.

tumblr_mronw60ajT1rm1u90o1_250.gif

This feels a bit like parents talking at the doctor about their children even though they're in the same room with them.

Us poor Sony fans. :/

Edit: can't tell if trying to be funny, serious, or trying to incite console wars, or all 3.

driver116

Uh-oh

Yes, the Home button is crucial in a dynamic menu like this.
You can potentially go down an endless path, hopping from player to club, to player, to challenge, to club and so on.
Imaging having to press the Circle button 50 times to get back to the main menu.

Yes I did, as Lead UX/UI Designer.
Put the old reset graphic back :p

h3ro

Jealous, but looking forward to seeing your impressions.

I don't actually have the game yet. Was just making a joke equating this game to having an erection because that obviously makes for better discussion than the same circular nonsense thats keeps coming up.

All we need now is another armchair financial analyst to be 'calling it now' and bless us with their metacritic prediction again.

So yeah, #DRIVECHUB.

Loudninja

I don't actually have the game yet. Was just making a joke equating this game to having an erection because that obviously makes for better discussion than the same circular nonsense thats keeps coming up.

All we need now is another armchair financial analyst to be 'calling it now' and bless us with their metacritic prediction again.

So yeah, #DRIVECHUB.
Oh >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom