• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

Has anyone else been playing the Trackmania Turbo Beta? It's a lot of fun and well worth a try if you fancy some arcade racing. I prefer DC's automatic ghost selection rather than manually having to select a ghost to race but one thing I would like for DC to have is the friend comparison table - essentially it gives you a score vs your friends on who holds the fastest time for each event. It'd give you another reason to keep playing the tour events and would be a nice addition in a future update...

Has anyone else been playing the Trackmania Turbo Beta? It's a lot of fun and well worth a try if you fancy some arcade racing. I prefer DC's automatic ghost selection rather than manually having to select a ghost to race but one thing I would like for DC to have is the friend comparison table - essentially it gives you a score vs your friends on who holds the fastest time for each event. It'd give you another reason to keep playing the tour events and would be a nice addition in a future update...

The leaderboards are quite compelling on trackmania too, being split by region and subregion. It would be nice if they also had percentile based leaderboards, as it's nice to know what percentile you're in (e.g. top 1%) in each region.

Playing trackmania and games like amplitude makes me more aware that Driveclub's leaderboards could be a lot better. I do agree that automatic ghost selection is better, though on DC the automatic ghost selection sort of got me into the habbit of merely mimicking peoples lines and styles. On trackmania I like just running as fast as I can, then trying to learn from ghosts afterwards, without them being interjected automatically.

I managed to get down to 4th on the first track for my subregion, which was something like 150th worldwide, not too bad. My subregion includes the London area so I imagine it's more competitive than other areas of the UK.

Goldrusher

I thought the leaderboards in Trackmania sucked ass. They're somewhat hidden and for some reason they don't include your own time.

F**k it. I give up on the current challenge. There is a trick on getting a good score when you need to do two drifts in one zone but i don't 'get' it. The second drift just won't give me a good score.

Sirenty

Which zone?

I've saved all 3 of my last score beating runs, but I can't figure out how to export them. I'll post one once I do.

Sirenty

I knew 15K was possible and it looks like PDogg got it. Though I don't know how he didn't get penalized for that 3rd zone considering it looks like he is way off the track and touched the rail... When I go that far off track, I get 0.

I knew 15K was possible and it looks like PDogg got it. Though I don't know how he didn't get penalized for that 3rd zone considering it looks like he is way off the track and touched the rail... When I go that far off track, I get 0.

I have the impression if you're off the track for just a split second you keep the score.

Sirenty

2nd and 3rd drift zone.

Both of them you want to go in full throttle for as long as possible, and then nail the brakes right before running off. For the first zone you should be ~1500, and ~2500 for the second. You should almost come to a stop for the first zone. Then for both, get on the gas and go straight for a bit and then start another drift when you get near the edge of the road again. Should drift right along the edge. That should get you ~2200 in the first zone and 3000+ in the second.

Edit: That current score of mine is crap because I lost control twice coming out of corners. However, I have a replay of a different run that would still be first as it currently stands,

Screenshot_2016_03_20_21_37_43.png

Thank you to everyone who took part and congratulations to Sirenty who fought off some strong challenges to take the win in this event and for the first round. Sigswat missed the first round of the competition but still claimed the second spot whilst Bouniter did amazingly well to take third after missed a round and being relatively new to the game too!

I'll update this post with some more stats tomorrow when I've access to a PC.

I've not sent out a challenge for this week tonight, I'll get that sent tomorrow - is everyone happy with a Sunday finish?

Congratz Sirenty on a well deserved first place. Also a big thank you to DHC-Shannow for taking the time in order to organise opthe challenges. I had some good fun.

Sirenty

Thank you to everyone who took part and congratulations to Sirenty who fought off some strong challenges to take the win in this event and for the first round. Sigswat missed the first round of the competition but still claimed the second spot whilst Bouniter did amazingly well to take third after missed a round and being relatively new to the game too!

I'll update this post with some more stats tomorrow when I've access to a PC.

I've not sent out a challenge for this week tonight, I'll get that sent tomorrow - is everyone happy with a Sunday finish?[/QUOTE]

Sunday is good, otherwise they would end while I'm at work. And I've learned you don't want to be away during the final hour of a challenge if Ainsz or SigSwat is around.

Thanks for putting it together, and choosing some [i]interesting[/i] challenges.

[quote="SigSwat551, post: 198749929"]Congratz Sirenty on a well deserved first place. Also a big thank you to DHC-Shannow for taking the time in order to organise opthe challenges. I had some good fun.[/QUOTE]

Cheers. You kicked ass at the bike skills, and I was worried all week that you would get me in the end. Great job while still missing a week.

farmerboy

Good on you Sirenty, showed your all round ability with this game. Drifting still makes NO SENSE to me lol.

Anyway, anyone with a GnG avatar deserves it :)

Congrats to all the rest and Shannow for his dedication in making it happen.

Bouniter

Congratulations To Sirenty you really drove it home with that last drift event, and to Sigswatt with a great second place.

Like you Sigswatt I could not get this drift event down at all, please never combine that jag and a drift event again please. It turned waaaaay to quickly when drifting and in the end I set my final score using the hardcore driving mode as I found it made Jag handle in a much more natural way. (did anyone else do that?)

Finally a huge thanks to the keystone of our community DHC for setting these up. You do a fantastic job and I'm sure I can speak for everyone when we say its greatly appreciated.

On a much sourer note the drifting update was a massive bust fixing very few if any of driftings problems. Even the ones that were supposedly fixed actually haven't been, Its still very possible to crash into walls and rocks and anything really as long as your a little lucky, hit at the right angle, or you do it just after the drift zone ends. The strange lack of points for a second drift, but doing 2 little scrappy awful drifts is still worth more than one good one and still being able to throw a tiny little stupid drift at the end of a zone that nets you a bonus 1000 points for spinning your car 180 and facing the wrong way.

Many of which are displayed in Sirentiys handy video https://youtu.be/e4QW11y-UEM (no offense Sirenty)

Needless to say I was incredibly disappointed with the changes made to drifting as they did almost nothing to make drifting what it should be.

I hate to do this and call you out Rushy but...

Thanks for all the details on Drift Mode. We believe we've fixed all of the major exploits now

Do you seriously think that drifting is now fixed?

Sirenty

No offense taken because I completely agree, and I made similar remarks last week in the thread. I should point out, though, that I got almost the same score as my ghost without spinning the car (the one in the video). The ones on the ghost were on accident, not on purpose. Though I agree you can boost your score quite a bit by doing that, and I almost always reset when I did.

I plan to take a video on the same track of how I think drifting should be, and the scoring difference. This actually reminds me, I wish there was an easy way to replicate an expired challenge instead of writing everything down and then going to try to recreate it.

Screenshot_2016_03_21_12_40_01.png

Thanks for the words guys, it is nice to know my efforts are appreciated :) Sorry about the state of the table, too busy at work and my phones resolution isn't the greatest...

So are there any changes you'd like to see for round 2? Do we keep doing drift challenges? Is the balance right between cars and bikes?

You should've received round 2 week 1 challenge (BMW Bike around Skjolden) so let me know if you haven't got it or if you aren't registered and want to take part.

Sirenty

Here's another video with drifting more like I remember it originally was and that I think is more fun. Single drift per zone, staying on the road.

I think this takes a lot more skill, especially the third section, but I consistently score 3K less points then the other way.

https://youtu.be/Nz6Vq2Jucpg

Thanks to Shannow for organizing the challenges from me as well. This was my first season and it was a lot of fun. I'm feeling really happy and honored that i could manage to sneak into the overall top 10 with this last event, although i'm aware that it was only possible because most of you didn't participate in every single challenge. In addition to that, i count myself lucky for managing to grab my first (and most likely last) podium spot in this one, although SigSwat really made me work hard for it. I got to 3rd place with 3 hours to go, watched a few episodes of Daredevil and came back half an hour before the end of the challenge to check on the standings, finding myself knocked down a spot. After a feverish 20 minutes i got lucky with a good run and got back to 3rd place 10 minutes before the end. I'm just glad it was so close to the end, or i'm confident i would have lost my position again. Anyway, hats off to all of you!

Regarding the drifting, i have to agree that it's still not optimal and wish it were more like in Sirenty's last video. Obviously i also had to abuse the current scoring system to get as high in the standings as i did, but in the end it doesn't feel as satisfying. The recent changes are good, but not quite enough.

Something is wrong with Regera model.
If you look down while driving in cockpit view, you'll see that some floor material is wierd, it reflects the road, I guess? Looks like there is a big hole in your car.

Here's another video with drifting more like I remember it originally was and that I think is more fun. Single drift per zone, staying on the road.

I think this takes a lot more skill, especially the third section, but I consistently score 3K less points then the other way.

https://youtu.be/Nz6Vq2Jucpg

Yeah that's a very nice run bud, that's the kind of run that should be top scoring - I just hope they can figure out a way to do it.

#1 Defender - yeah very well done on that 3rd place bud :) I meant to give you a mention in the summary but got sidetracked by the final results.

Easy* fixes that come to mind would be

a) one drift per zone like others have said
b) more points from speed zones so keeping your speed up would be more important
c) "fix" the second drift point gains, like in the sirenty's video, in the last section he gets almost nothing from the second corner despite moving at decent speed but if he had let the drift end (just the point gain, not standstill) and start a new one, he could have got ~3k points instead of ~1,7k

* no comment on actually implementing but from idea point of view

xrnzaaas

Screenshot_2016_03_21_12_40_01.png

Thanks for the words guys, it is nice to know my efforts are appreciated :) Sorry about the state of the table, too busy at work and my phones resolution isn't the greatest...

So are there any changes you'd like to see for round 2? Do we keep doing drift challenges? Is the balance right between cars and bikes?

You should've received round 2 week 1 challenge (BMW Bike around Skjolden) so let me know if you haven't got it or if you aren't registered and want to take part.

Congrats to the winners. :)

Nice statistics. In my case it sounds about right. I've spent the most time repeating the Bimota skill challenge and I couldn't find a good pace in the Marussia race challenge. Hopefully I'll find some time tonight for the new challenge.

I'd love to see more races in round 2. Also maybe one endurance event in this round? It doesn't have to be anything hardcore. Like ~8 laps on a short (<1min per lap) track.

Thanks for all the hard work DHC, sadly I had a few things going on and missed out on 50% of the challenges although don't think I would have broken the top 10 anyway.

Personally I don't enjoy the bike time trial challenges, drifts are fine although that's shown to have flaws in it.

BraXzy

Really sad to hear about the closing. There were issues at launch sure, but Evolution went above and beyond post-launch and made something to truly be proud of.

Hope they all land on their feet.

Ainsz

Just saw on twitter, what the actual fuck. Just out of no where. Finish Line indeed..

Thanks for the great run EVO.

What a fucking shame.

Best of luck to you guys at Evo, thanks for all the work and support since launch, and constant contact with the fans. <3

Top Bottom