• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

Just the other day i was going over my collection of PS4 games and i've come to an interesting conclusion, out of my 9 retail games, all but 1 are either sequels in longstanding franchises, last gen remasters, or both. Driveclub is the only new IP this generation that really grabbed me (and never let me go). I was looking forward to new updates and content drops each month and was hoping that was only the beginning, with more standalone expansions and at least another season pass down the road. I've also been a big fan of the Motorstorm games and put hundreds of hours into them, even Motorstorm RC was tons of fun. I'm very sad to see Evolution go. All the best to Rushy and the rest of the gals and guys at Evolution, i hope they land on their feet. Thank you for everything! ;_;

Sirenty

Damn, that sucks. I was really hoping for a Season Pass 2, or DC2.

I wonder if it's just going to be dead now. Are Evo challenges automatically generated or did they manually do them?

I already said it on twitter, thanks for everything Rushy and all the Evolution Members who were here doing their best for this game we all love.
EWmof.gif

Auctopus

What the hell? So it's true? Completely closed?

That sucks so much. Thanks Rushy for such an amazing game which you provided so much incredible support for for a year and a half.

Nyx

Bah....

Best of luck to all the people who were involved! And thanks for making and supporting the best damn racing game ever made.

Jesus I just got home on seen this now :-( Driveclub has been fantastic and definitely my favourite game of this generation, really struggling to understand the decision to close them down. Just want to put out my heartfelt thanks to Rushy and the rest of the team for creating such an awesome product and I sincerely hope they all move on to better things :-( Damn this is sad news, it was only a few days ago the DC logo was shown on that PSVR board and I know several of us were looking forward to playing it in VR :-(

Bouniter

I still honestly can't believe this...

I just want to thank and send my love to everyone at Evolution for making the best racing game of this generation and one of my favourite games of all time, you all did a stellar job. Goodluck to all of you with wherever or whatever you turn to next I'm sure you will make it a huge success.

My heartfelt thanks.
Bouniter

Auctopus

I will never understand the type of people who clearly haven't played any of their games who jump in the studio closure threads and just trash.

So, what's this silver lining I'm hearing about? Is there chance of a tiny studio supporting the game? Or a rebranding?

NewDust

Not only that but one of the dlc tours is named The Long Goodbye. I guess they knew it was coming...

And the time trial event Clocking Off...

I want to thank Rushy and the rest of the team, for making both MS and DC. With the continued support they made me come back to DC, over and over again. I never stick long with a single game, but I must have clocked over 300 hours in DC, easily making it game I played most... ever.

Duallusion

Probably the worst gaming news of the last couple of years for me. Goodbye monthly updates, season pass 2, possible sequel, everything? Even DC VR?

I ...

;_;

Best of luck to the team, Rushy, and thank you for one of the best racing games ever.

I wonder if DC VR will still be made by the North-west studio - the assets are all there, and they may well pick up the awesome Evo tech guys. It would seem to make more sense than just writing it all off and would give them another launch game for PSVR.

The would also seem to tie in with the comments on that French VR footage about DCVR being a stand alone game. Still fucking sucks that this has happened to Evo and DC but there may be a glimmer of hope still.

Ah .. So disapointing ..I really like this game. Will certainly have a great place in my heart.

All those rumored cars for driveclubs that didn't make it ..ah , so sad. So painfull.

T_Exige

F*cking Sony ...
DriveClub is one of the best racing games I ever bought/played!
I hope all gets good for the people involved.

krioto

Fuck you guys down at Sony making these decisions - you keep closing the studios that make my favourite games. Last time it was Studio Liverpool with wipeout, and now you've gone and shafted Evolution.

So a big fuck you to all of you.

To Rushy and crew - thanks for the best game I've played in a long time, and I hope you guys can carry on together. Thanks heaps

Regular reviews take place throughout SCE Worldwide Studios, ensuring that the resources that we have in such a competitive landscape can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects.

As part of this process we have reviewed and assessed all current projects and plans for the short and medium term and have decided to make some changes to the European studios structure.

As a result, it has been decided that Evolution Studio will close.

They made the best selling racing game on PS4, it sold just as many copies as Forza on Xbox One(ok, there were 3 of those already). It's also the best looking racing game - probably ever, including PC racing games. It was 30fps, but with some clever effects the game was responsive and had an incredible sense of speed.
Personally, I never was a fan of Driveclub until hardcore mode, that now won't get any further support, but "commercially viable" and "innovative", that's your excuse, Sony? Even in terms of "quality" Evo managed to more than make up for their initial fuck-up, I don't know anyone who could still be made about that after the pretty much unprecedented way the game got post-release support.

Seriously, what the fuck does Sony want? Their exclusives line-up is thin as it is, then GT Sport gets inofficially delayed (and we all know how this will continue from Polyphony's PS3 history) and what does Sony do? They close their only other studio that makes a racing game?
All those car models, that could have been re-used in a new game just thrown away? *head shaking in despair* What the fuck, man.

Tommi84

Wait... what? WHAT?!?!

1332810685635.jpg

Can't believe this.

Rushy and everyone - you made a dream come true. It was the best ride most of us could imagine. This is indeed a sad day to everyone in here :(

Thank you,Rushy !!
CeKa3vbVIAAxiBY.jpg:large

This news made me give 2 fucks about Playstation VR. Damn! no wonder even after all the request for a season pass 2 they kept saying they have no plans for that. Damn! you Sony.

No Love

Banned
Wow, absolutely disgusting move on Sony's part. Fuck you Sony! Evolution deserved so much more. Really really fucking sad and disappointed.

No DriveClub VR now? What the fuck...

Fox Mulder

thanks to everyone at Evo for such an amazing game that will be enjoyed for years.

This news really sucks, and hit hard. I bought a ps4 because Driveclub looked so awesome and have had a blast with it. Fuck Sony, hopefully they at least leave the servers up.

-Amon-

Sad news. I think these developers succeeded in recovering from the troublesome launch and delivered big time with the wonderful season pass content and the unparalleled level of support.

Driveclub in its present state is a true gem.

I'm sure the skill of you guys will not be unnoticed and you'll be soon working on interesting new projects.

I will support you guys for sure.

Godspeed Evolution Studios.

Very sad to hear, being they were what seemed one of the most community involved and post launch supportive developers I can remember in recent times. That kind of work deserved to be rewarded and supported, not let go. Congrats on great work Rushy and Evo, hope to see your visions and inspiration in another racing title SOON!

Dalto11

Went ahead and picked up the expansion given the news. Gonna have to give them that victory lap tonight. Definitely one of my favorite racing games in a long time, makes me sad to hear it :(.

Uh, that's weird. Don't know how I feel about that. So, Sony has some genuine car nuts who are ready to take the mantle?

Yeah, i'll remain skeptical for now. It was the same song and dance when Sony cut their ties to Superbot, who developed PS All-Stars Battle Royale. They promised that Santa Monica Studios (who aided Superbot throughout the development of the game) would continue supporting it and all they did was release a balance patch (which screwed my favorite character), pushed out the final dlc completed by Superbot and that was it. There was a Journey/Gravity Rush mashup stage Superbot worked on that was never released and i fear the same fate awaits any unfinished content left behind by Evo. :/

Rushy

Hey guys, just wanted to say thank you to all, your support for DRIVECLUB, for Evolution has been amazing.

We made it to OT3 together and that was a proud moment for me and the team, who had NeoGAF permanently on their screens ;)

Yes it has been a sad day, but I hope you will celebrate DRIVECLUB tonight by playing the latest tours, we made them for you and we hope you enjoy them.

Regards to the future I can only say so much right now, but its a time to be positive, we as a team want to stay together and I hope that means we can do great things.

5taquitos

Hey guys, just wanted to say thank you to all, your support for DRIVECLUB, for Evolution has been amazing.

We made it to OT3 together and that was a proud moment for me and the team, who had NeoGAF permanently on their screens ;)

Yes it has been a sad day, but I hope you will celebrate DRIVECLUB tonight by playing the latest tours, we made them for you and we hope you enjoy them.

Regards to the future I can only say so much right now, but its a time to be positive, we as a team want to stay together and I hope that means we can do great things.

Thanks for making some of my favorite racing games of all time! Been an Evolution fan since the first MotorSorm. Evolution will be missed but can't wait to see what's next! Thank you and your team!

No Love

Banned

Thanks so much to Evolution for creating and supporting a racing game that was so full of passion and will surely go down as one of the greatest of all time. So sorry that Sony is too foolish to recognize and retain the massive talent at Evolution. RIP and can't wait to see where the talent at Evo ends up next and what they create.

Vaga

Reiterating what I said earlier, whatever you guys are planning to do next you've got my support. A kick in the butt is only a step forward!

Seems fitting for me to reply with a gif. :)

b9aScKLxdv0Y0.gif

Thank you to you and the team Rushy the constant photo retweets and replies on twitter were awesome. I wish you guys the best.

benzy

Thanks for great times Rushy. I hope there's a way for Sony/Shu to let you guys keep your game engine to use for whatever the future holds. Probably some legal issues to work out but It's not like Sony will ever use it again right? Best wishes.

giphy.gif

ViciousDS

Banned
Driveclub is a game I bought and fucking enjoyed to shit offline when the servers were hammered and not working. It was the first and only non sim racer this gen where me and a buddy would trade the controller in drift events. Just the sheer beauty of the game and fun factor was through the roof and nothing this gen has even come close to the detail in driveclub.

After buying everything the game has it actually is overwhelming how much content this game had. I have way to many races to complete still just from taking minor breaks and EVO releasing content after content after gosh dabg content. It truly is the greatest season pass you will ever own in your life.

It saddens me that a company completely driven by content and passion got shut down and I really hope these guys pick up with wherever they left off with maybe an open world racer. Despite networking issues these guys knew how to build a mother fucking game engine. It was a locked 30 with no falter, with tons of amazing clutter....detail and just tears of beauty.

God speed EVO you will forever impact my thoughts on any future racing game and value for content!

I will miss your unprecedented support. Thank you and the rest of Evolution for all your great work over the years, and thanks for taking the time to mingle with us here!

skynidas

Banned

Thank you and everyone at the studio for all your awesome work.

Top Bottom