• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

Nafai1123

Banned
It's fine if you like games that other people don't enjoy as much (story of my life), but if you seem obtuse about other people's reactions, it just makes you sound out-of-touch with the genre. And when most people are talking about style, it doesn't mean a story mode. Something as simple as having a soundtrack good enough that the director doesn't disable it by default would be the sort of thing people notice.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the soundtrack. Rushy openly stated music is disabled by choice because they spent so much time on the engine sounds and they wanted that to be the first soundtrack people hear. Many people on here praised him for making that decision.

I actually think the soundtrack is quite good, but I've heard it enough times that I just use Spotify from now on.

Afrikan

It's fine if you like games that other people don't enjoy as much (story of my life), but if you seem obtuse about other people's reactions, it just makes you sound out-of-touch with the genre. And when most people are talking about style, it doesn't mean a story mode. Something as simple as having a soundtrack good enough that the director doesn't disable it by default would be the sort of thing people notice.

if someone doesn't like the soundtrack, they can play their own music or use Spotify. They didn't disable it by default, because it wasn't good enough. But good job trying to speak for the director.

I'm always mistaken when reading your posts. You have an avator of a previous poster who brought a lot more to this forum. Which is unfortunate for others who respected the other poster and probably still think this profile is his.

viveks86

You have an avator of a previous poster who brought a lot more to this forum. Which is unfortunate for others who respected the other poster and probably still think this profile is his.

Holy shiiit. HOLY SHIIIT! What the hell happened to the gaffer that I knew and loved? o_O

Afrikan

Holy shiiit. HOLY SHIIIT! What the hell happened to the gaffer that I knew and loved? o_O

I don't know, maybe I'm misremembering but there are certain profile avatars that you get used to...and you feel you are about to read something constructive.

I forget who it belonged to...or heck it might be the same person and they changed for some reason.

but the poster I'm talking about wouldn't speak out of his ass/for the director of a videogame.

bombshell

Yes, that's the reason why the soundtrack is disabled by default. There's no other possible reason...

Gestault

If you look at my post and take out the last sentence with the example about the soundtrack, I hope what I said still makes sense. The disabled music example was just illustrating why someone would come to the game and think it came off as flat.

I don't know, maybe I'm misremembering but there are certain profile avatars that you get used to...and you feel you are about to read something constructive.

I forget who it belonged to...or heck it might be the same person and they changed for some reason.

but the poster I'm talking about wouldn't speak out of his ass/for the director of a videogame.

I made this profile image, and as far as I know, I'm the only one to have ever used it. I have the feeling it's more a case of you disagreeing with me, than me having "changed."

Anarion07

If you look at my post and take out the last sentence with the example about the soundtrack, I hope what I said still makes sense. The disabled music example was just illustrating why someone would come to the game and think it came off as flat.

That's what you should have said.
But what you said was just disrespectful and clearly with an agenda.

Afrikan

I made this profile image, and as far as I know, I'm the only one to have ever used it. I have the feeling it's more a case of you disagreeing with me, than me having "changed."

did you ever have a tag? were you Juniored?

disagreeing with you speaking about something you know nothing about? I'm sure I'm not the only one... but go ahead and hide behind your "opinion" which you stated as fact.

viveks86

did you ever have a tag? were you Juniored?

disagreeing with you speaking about something you know nothing about? I'm sure I'm not the only one... but go ahead and hide behind your "opinion" which you stated as fact.

That's what you should have said.
But what you said was just disrespectful and clearly with an agenda.

I checked the post-history.. it's either DriveClub or Forza.

Or may be he was trying to be facetious and said something dumb off the cuff. Let's not start attacking his motivations or post history over one comment.

Afrikan

Or may be he was trying to be facetious and said something dumb off the cuff. Let's not start attacking his motivations or post history over one comment.

to be honest, it's not over one comment from my end....I've been paying attention to him/her.

but yes, lets move on.

Gestault

to be honest, it's not over one comment from my end....I've been paying attention to him/her.

but yes, lets move on.

If you think this accusation is worth repeatedly making, I'll happily take a PM about my agenda. Back on the topic though, do you think I was wrong? Someone wasn't understanding what people meant when they said something was "soulless," and I explained it in other words. The example about the soundtrack being disabled was an example that went along with the point.

Afrikan

If you think this accusation is worth repeatedly making, I'll happily take a PM about my agenda. Back on the topic though, do you think I was wrong?

"And when most people are talking about style, it doesn't mean a story mode"

I feel "style" "soul" "bland" etc are all broad and subjective words....that some like to throw out there when some can't really put a finger of what the *issue* they have with the game.

We finally have a racing game, that is a racing game. Straight to the point. The PS4 already has TWO Open world racing games. The XboxOne has 3 Open World racing games. Why the need for another?

DriveClub took a chance at being different. Which I as a gamer and racing fan, am very happy they did.

little load times, race after race being ready to play, and amazing sound and visuals to boot.

I don't feel the devs should be slighted for choosing to show off their engine and environment sounds. If a gamer is curious why there is no music, I would think they would pause the game...and see the option there and turn it on.

Gestault

"And when most people are talking about style, it doesn't mean a story mode"

I feel "style" "soul" "bland" etc are all broad and subjective words....that some like to throw out there when some can't really put a finger of what the *issue* they have with the game.

We finally have a racing game, that is a racing game. Straight to the point. The PS4 already has TWO Open world racing games. The XboxOne has 3 Open World racing games. Why the need for another?

DriveClub took a chance at being different. Which I as a gamer and racing fan, am very happy they did.

little load times, race after race being ready to play, and amazing sound and visuals to boot.

I don't feel the devs should be slighted for choosing to show off their engine and environment sounds. If a gamer is curious why there is no music, I would think they would pause the game...and see the option there and turn it on.

I think you're having a different conversation that I am.

polg

I Went into this game with zero expectations and really enjoying it. But I'm more of an arcade racer and makes me wish they did another Motorstorm... Maybe I'll get my fix with Trackmania

Afrikan

You could replace the phrase and say people think it's not stylish or has a dry/monotone presentation and you should be able to get what they mean. Different people had that same reaction, even in the release window and through various reviews. Particularly before the weather systems or even having a replay/photo mode, you have to admit the experience was pretty flat.

can you explain what is dry/monotone about the presentation of the game? In comparison to a non-dry/monotone game.

Afrikan

I Went into this game with zero expectations and really enjoying it. But I'm more of an arcade racer and makes me wish they did another Motorstorm... Maybe I'll get my fix with Trackmania

I'm sure we'll get another Motorstorm... I mean they took the time to design and release a vehicle form the series...with nitros and everything..lol.

driveclub-motorstorm-buggy-630x354.jpg

I consider Trackmania to be a driving puzzle game than a real racer. Nothing wrong with it, it looks great, but its nothing like Motorstorm or any other traditional racer.

Also, I know a lot of us disagree with Gestault, but he's entitled to his opinion.

megalowho

Glad to finally get a chance to try this. Feeling the presentation, it's slick and intuitive. Lots of stuff is locked away, gives the trial version a F2P feel, but I guess that's the point. Not sure if I like the driving model or penalty system, don't have a great handle on it yet.

Still ended up playing for longer than I planned for just to take in those weather effects. Getting distracted by rain dancing on the windshield and spinning out has been a common occurrence. One of the best effects I think I've seen in a game.

can you explain what is dry/monotone about the presentation of the game? In comparison to a non-dry/monotone game.
I've asked the same questions in earlier DC threads (ie. what do you mean, soulless?) and the best answer I've read was about a lack of fanfare when say, unlocking a new car, or winning a championship, or finishing a tour. There's no context to the races as an event in the world (as opposed to say Motorstorm), and there are no rivalries or drama with other drivers. What off-the-track moments there are in DC are brief, maybe taking up a single screen of unlocks and points breakdowns before passing back into the menus, if that.

I don't need that stuff, and I've actually grown a little tired of some of it, but I can understand that some people might feel the game is missing something when those elements don't take as much prominence as in other titles.

Something DCish that might have worked to salve those criticisms was all the first-person stuff they showed off in the early reveals. It looked like players could meet up to some limited extent as their driver avatars with their cars, and have more first person experience with the cars out of the races themselves - but now that's purely a matter of opening the door and putting your hands on the wheel before the track loads.

For better or worse everything that makes DriveClub tick is found when you're on the track, and the menus are just simple and pretty means to that end. There's no tuning, or fleshed out garage or Top Gear narrated car class videos or detailed performance metrics or career path drama that might provide more context and flavor in other games. But hey, what we have right now provides for lightning fast load times and transitions - nothing extraneous, and I'm happy for it, just as I can be happy to experience most of those things in other games.

A buggy, yes. It is quite challenging to drive.
Its got nitrous too - wooot.

It's not like you might think though. Checkout video clips firsts. It's Buggies on roads. Nothing offroad.

but yes, fun to drive.
Unless you get it off the road on purpose :p

I guess also important to note you can drive it across corners without penalty, but obviously yes you are otherwise bound to the limits of the corridor.

vlcsnap-2015-04-01-2048pqy.png

vlcsnap-2015-04-01-19iwpji.png

Afrikan

I see what you trying to see NullPointer....

but about this part. "there are no rivalries or drama with other drivers."

haha I create my own drama. I always remember who tried to purposely spin me out (and I let them know through the mic)...and if I can't catch up in that race...I still remember who they are, and get them in the next race..and let them know right before I make my move...lol.

Afrikan

Unless you get it off the road on purpose :p

I guess also important to note you can drive it across corners without penalty, but obviously yes you are otherwise bound to the limits of the corridor.

vlcsnap-2015-04-01-2048pqy.png

vlcsnap-2015-04-01-19iwpji.png

I don't know how you got that far in the second pic.

but yes, these pics....*drools* Looking forward to a new Motorstorm.

I don't know how you got that far in the second pic.

but yes, these pics....*drools* Looking forward to a new Motorstorm.
It isn't that far (notice the DRIVECLUB flag on the left which edges the road).

If you fly head-first at a rock you'll be sent flying, get it right and you can get over the invisible wall preventing you from flying off and then away you go. Alas you don't have long because the 3 second reset timer kicks in :p

Speaking of which, not seen any mentions of that. That used to be high on the complaints list.

haha I create my own drama. I always remember who tried to purposely spin me out (and I let them know through the mic)...and if I can't catch up in that race...I still remember who they are, and get them in the next race..and let them know right before I make my move...lol.
I believe it - I meant the AI drivers in the tours, but sometimes you get to see a named driver or two in there.

Haines

Banned
Hmm..

Played the demo.
As a casual race fan looking for one to buy it did not sell me even at the low price.
The weather and graphics seem incredible, but the controls and sound design felt lacking.

I went and played the horizons 2 demo again and it was much more exhilarating despite the crazy weather and felt better in almost every way.

I have forza 5 but it had no soul at launch and killed my desire to play it pretty quick. I might just go back to it until forza 6 and grab a good horizon sale.

Also the rumble triggers on Xbox feel incredible and make it feel that much more real on a pad.

I. Still going to play a lot of this. I think the weather effects are incredible.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You tilting at the Sony Defence Force windmills.
You know?
Your imaginary Nemesis?

You were just whinging on about it in a thread about The Order too.

Got it pointing out that the defense force is stronger than ever is whining. So when you guys get all up in arms that somebody doesn't like your precious driveclub what's that qualify as? People dislike games, there doesn't always have to be an agenda. Valid criticisms are constantly shot down and chased out thanks to the influx of Sony fanboys.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I tried the plus version... I didn't enjoy it. I'm not really into racing games unless they're a little bit arcade-like, but this game did nothing for me. I deleted it.

Top Bottom