• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

Vlaphor

I just cannot get into this game. It feels like it doesn't know what game it wants to be and pulls the worst from both the arcade and simulation styles. I feel like the game wants me to drive really fast, then punishes me for doing so. Maybe if there was some kind of tutorial or driving line, I could figure out what the game wants. Without it, I just keep hitting a wall, both metaphorically and in nearly every turn.

Anarion07

I gave it a shot. It's not bad but the rubber band AI is a dealbreaker for me.

Oh my not this again.
It''s not rubberband AI.
It's adaptive AI (tm) aslong as you drive badly.
But the AI cars will never get more power than possible for the type of car they're driving.
They do, however, slow down for you a little if you're a bad driver, as to not crush people's confidence completely (look at some responses in this thread, they're still hard for some)

Gandalf

I just cannot get into this game. It feels like it doesn't know what game it wants to be and pulls the worst from both the arcade and simulation styles. I feel like the game wants me to drive really fast, then punishes me for doing so. Maybe if there was some kind of tutorial or driving line, I could figure out what the game wants. Without it, I just keep hitting a wall, both metaphorically and in nearly every turn.

It does have a steep learning curve. Can't argue with that. It is however a very rewarding game when you start mastering it.

Being able to fly around corners in a Hennesey Venom or Pagani Zonda R is a lot of fun. One:1 too. And it feels amazing when you pull off a near enough to perfect lap.

I urge anyone to give it time until it clicks, but if it doesn't? Fair enough. I can understand this won't please everyone.

ukas

I've honestly not noticed it myself, and I have the Platinum. I've been able to lap cars on some events.

Awesome avatar by the way. GOAT comedy.

That's because it isn't there. Rushy has mentioned on numerous occasions that there is no rubber banding in the game.

alarre1

Neo Member
If you're used to 60 fps racers, you're going to have to play the game more so it can grow on you. I actually traded it in a few months ago (only played for about an hour), but I tried the PS+ version and bought the full version again.

I would also recommend using slower cars to get used to the tracks and the gameplay. Starting off with supercar is only going to frustrate you.

Oh my not this again.
It''s not rubberband AI.
But the AI cars will never get more power than possible for the type of car they're driving.
They do, however, slow down for you a little if you're a bad driver, as to not crush people's confidence completely (look at some responses in this thread, they're still hard for some)
I was in first for 80% of the race and they were consistently riding my ass no matter how well I drove. It may not be rubberbanding (I'll take your word for it) but it sure as hell felt like it.

pixelbox

You mean like this?

vlcsnap-2015-06-27-16rqrr3.png

vlcsnap-2015-06-27-16zvpvr.png
Damn

ptuck874

ok im starting to get better in this game, but man, I havent played a true racer in years, opting for motorstorm type stuff than anything, but good gosh i suck so bad at driving lol, 1 thing i learned from this, it isnt all about speed, good gosh learning that the hard way

I was in first for 80% of the race and they were consistently riding my ass no matter how well I drove. It may not be rubberbanding (I'll take your word for it) but it sure as hell felt like it.

then i guess you weren't driving as well as you think you were driving.

You can get quite far in first place. a gap between first and second by more than 20 secs is possible in this game.

For the love of all that is unholy, please patch in an option to turn off rain collecting on the camera, or at least tone it down. Can't see shit, captain.

Also, the AI drivers in this game are assholes. They just don't give any shits whatsoever.

No. I like the rain as is. It's rain. It's weather. It's supposed to be a challenge. Most other games have weak ass rain effects that feel like a cosmetic effect to create a mood, or change the physics of the road. This game actually makes you feel like you are wet.

Oh my not this again.
It''s not rubberband AI.

Ah, see I've noticed this and wondered why: I would somehow catch up to see all the cars when in last place, when I've crashed or spun out a few times. Neat feature, actually. Because when you get good enough, you wont notice it. Is there a certain distance when this feature kicks into effect?

It does have a steep learning curve. Can't argue with that. It is however a very rewarding game when you start mastering it.

Being able to fly around corners in a Hennesey Venom or Pagani Zonda R is a lot of fun. One:1 too. And it feels amazing when you pull off a near enough to perfect lap.

I urge anyone to give it time until it clicks, but if it doesn't? Fair enough. I can understand this won't please everyone.

I agree. I am enjoying the steep learning curve so far. I haven't sat down with a game and just learned it and got better in a long while. I am very much enjoying this.

BibiMaghoo

I'm not that bad at most racers. I love some GT also. But I seriously fucking suck at this game. I don't know why, but the best I've managed is second on the earliest race, which presumably I should clear fairly easily.

I would add it annoyed me notably when my very first car unlock for coming second isn't even available in the PS+ version. My first unlock. I thought that was pretty shit form to be honest.

I'll keep at it though and see if I get any better.

MMaRsu

I'm not that bad at most racers. I love some GT also. But I seriously fucking suck at this game. I don't know why, but the best I've managed is second on the earliest race, which presumably I should clear fairly easily.

I would add it annoyed me notably when my very first car unlock for coming second isn't even available in the PS+ version. My first unlock. I thought that was pretty shit form to be honest.

I'll keep at it though and see if I get any better.

Youll get better at it trust me. I wasnt great at first but im pretty good now

EGOMON

Everyone saying they suck at this game please don't quit just yet keep at it and when you get better you will love it.
Try different techniques when entering a corner like braking early or using the e-brake or drifting you will find your way eventually.
We all been through it and it's so damn rewarding when you learn the game.

Gestault

ok im starting to get better in this game, but man, I havent played a true racer in years, opting for motorstorm type stuff than anything, but good gosh i suck so bad at driving lol, 1 thing i learned from this, it isnt all about speed, good gosh learning that the hard way

This'll treat you well in most games: A slower turn where you're in control can get you further than a fast corner where you lose it.

Now I do think the positives of this game are often exaggerated on these forums coming from someone who loves this game, however I also find that many people often try to nitpick the littlest of things to criticize this game and be like "ha! I've proven the cult following wrong!".

Let's just play the game, shall we? It's free* but I've never seen so many people complain and oversell a game so much at the same time.

Best wishes.

waypoetic

Banned
This isn't as realistic as GT, right? If you get grass, mud whatever on your tires that won't stay on when you're back on the track and cause some slippy grip, right?

TheMan

i dumped 10-15 hours into this game before the ps+ plus version came out, but the handling never really grew on me. However, after playing project cars with its poor ds4 controls, i've come to appreciate this game much more. I may splurge and get the full version...

In real life most tunnels are like this one, with lights inside and visible from outside

968R-6-TR.jpg

It is only trying to simulate what you actually see in real life but in exaggerated form. In reality nothing can simulate how your eyes adjust to light and dark, how it tracks objects and how quickly it focuses. Too advanced for current tech.

Are there any other useable cars in the ps+ edition other than the Mercedes and Mini Cooper?

Edit: Nevermind. It would help to read the OP.

Anyways...I'm having a blast with this so far.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No. I like the rain as is. It's rain. It's weather. It's supposed to be a challenge. Most other games have weak ass rain effects that feel like a cosmetic effect to create a mood, or change the physics of the road. This game actually makes you feel like you are wet.

Sure, but my main issue with it is this: In cockpit view you have the wipers clearing the water away, so you at least get short glimpses of good visibility at regular intervals. In hood view (which is my preferred view) you don't actually see the windshield, but instead you get the "water on camera" effect, and there are no wipers clearing that away. The result is CONSTANT awful visibility when it's raining heavily, as you're looking at the road through a thick layer of water droplets. It's not realistic, because in real life you'd have wipers (as you do in cockpit view), it's just annoying.

KidJr

To those struggling to get grip with learning curve, Id say learn how to balance between L2 and R2, remember some cars you can feather pretty easily other require a more finesse touch. Learn the balance between those triggers and you'll enjoy the game a lot more.

Sure, but my main issue with it is this: In cockpit view you have the wipers clearing the water away, so you at least get short glimpses of good visibility at regular intervals. In hood view (which is my preferred view) you don't actually see the windshield, but instead you get the "water on camera" effect, and there are no wipers clearing that away. The result is CONSTANT awful visibility when it's raining heavily, as you're looking at the road through a thick layer of water droplets. It's not realistic, because in real life you'd have wipers (as you do in cockpit view), it's just annoying.
How would it be realistic to have wipers on the bonnet (hood)?

It is realistic. Whilst the placement is obviously different, the result is the same... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=endgHz0AVg8&t=2m

Anarion07

A really good driver has no problem finishing 10 seconds ahead of the AI.

Ah, see I've noticed this and wondered why: I would somehow catch up to see all the cars when in last place, when I've crashed or spun out a few times. Neat feature, actually. Because when you get good enough, you wont notice it. Is there a certain distance when this feature kicks into effect?

No idea, sorry :/ But it's really a good system to keep players of every skill level motivated

JobenNC

I've never spent money on a racing game more realistic than mario kart, so i kind of doubt i'll start now. But this demo is REALLY good. It's a jaw-dropper visually and I'm having a good time trying to hug these corners.

Took me a whole day to download. Played for an hour and then deleted it. This game does sorta feel bog standard and soulless. For all its flashy visuals and weather it really isn't fun to play. Will wait for GT7 for my sim fix and Outrun and Ridge Racer for arcade goodness.
That just shows you had no real interest in the game to begin with. Which is fine, but I can't help but wonder if its because you let reviews get inside your head. I mean, there we are with the "soulless" thing again. What a meaningless descriptor for this game.

How great that the Startline tour is the only thing you can do in this version then. Everything else is locked behind the upgrade. I knew this version would only have s limited set of tracks and cars, but I actually didn't think it would be THAT limited in terms of SP content. Oh well.

I don't know man, when i bought the game earlier this year i clocked in about 300 single races before i even started seriously playing the tour, just trying different combos of tracks/cars/race settings, while trying to get better. Obviously you'll get less mileage out of this version than i did, but isn't the act of driving/racing something to do in itself? But if driving just for the sake of driving doesn't compel you and going online at this early stage still feels daunting (i know it did for me), there are also community challenges, which can be huge fun and very addicting (i once repeated a drifting challenge 80 or so times in the attempt to beat the #1 score), and they are also a good source of fame points.

Played a handful of races last night and had some fun with it.

I'm very much a sim racer fan, so it's likely not something I would end up purchasing, but it does give me something to play while waiting to pick up Project Cars or an Xbox One and Forza 6. After having played it now though, I certainly think it's a good game that a lot of racing fans should at the very least try out.

AEREC

This is a lot of fun! I'm really considering getting the full version + season pass once I finish all there is to do with the PS+ version. It looks great too. I was really impressed with how Project Cars looks, but this blows it away.

lol what does this even mean?

Its a shooter obviously...mixed with RTS elements.

Deadstar

I had some fun with it. The sense of speed and levels are amazing. Why is every car faster than me though? I start all the way in the back and can never catch up. I know I'm driving badly but it seems way too harsh for the first few levels. At least give me some confidence and let me win a few races....

Loudninja

I had some fun with it. The sense of speed and levels are amazing. Why is every car faster than me though? I start all the way in the back and can never catch up. I know I'm driving badly but it seems way too harsh for the first few levels. At least give me some confidence and let me win a few races....
The AI will slow down if you too far behind.

autoduelist

Just because the AI is on your ass doesn't mean there is rubber band AI. Rubber band ai means they're on you no matter how good, and you can catch up them no matter how much you mess up. [And it's very common in racing games because people like to catch up, and people like to be chased].

But just because you had people on you the whole time doesn't mean there is rubber band ai, it just means you weren't going fast enough to outrun them.

Endo Punk

That just shows you had no real interest in the game to begin with. Which is fine, but I can't help but wonder if its because you let reviews get inside your head. I mean, there we are with the "soulless" thing again. What a meaningless descriptor for this game.

Sometimes opinions just align. Course I don't always agree with critics but with this game I feel they were bang on the money.

I really do suggest people take a moment, go into single event, pick a time trial, and relax for a bit and just drive to come to grips with things. Not only will you start to get a feel for the handling, you'll get familiar with a course or two and organically get better at the game. Plus pick up how the roadside flags assist you, how to brake more effectively, or just play around with weather effects, time of day, or whatever.

Gestault

You could replace the phrase and say people think it's not stylish or has a dry/monotone presentation and you should be able to get what they mean. Different people had that same reaction, even in the release window and through various reviews. Particularly before the weather systems or even having a replay/photo mode, you have to admit the experience was pretty flat.

You could replace the phrase and say people think it's not stylish or has a dry/monotone presentation and you should be able to get what they mean. Different people had that same reaction, even in the release window and through various reviews. Particularly before the weather systems or even having a replay/photo mode, you have to admit the experience was pretty flat.
Heh, I admit nothing. I buy racing games to race, I don't want most of the fluff other devs feel the need to put in their games. Like having a story, or having someone constantly chattering in your ear about what you need to do, or anything of that kind. Just let me race.

There is somesort of rubber banding, but it's more like Dynamic AI as in they won't be breaking any physical laws to catch you if you're upfront but will drive within realistic limits better.

Gestault

Heh, I admit nothing. I buy racing games to race, I don't want most of the fluff other devs feel the need to put in their games. Like having a story, or having someone constantly chattering in your ear about what you need to do, or anything of that kind. Just let me race.

It's fine if you like games that other people don't enjoy as much (story of my life), but if you seem obtuse about other people's reactions, it just makes you sound out-of-touch with the genre. And when most people are talking about style, it doesn't mean a story mode. Something as simple as having a soundtrack good enough that the director doesn't disable it by default would be the sort of thing people notice.

Just had a great first hour with the game. Obviously looks beautiful, but more importantly the racing is no nonsense aggressive type shit. The whole "balance between arcade and sim" sounds pretty noncommittal, but it ends up working here.

If I don't lose interest I might get the full game.

It's fine if you like games that other people don't enjoy as much (story of my life), but if you seem obtuse about other people's reactions, it just makes you sound out-of-touch with the genre. And when most people are talking about style, it doesn't mean a story mode. Something as simple as having a soundtrack good enough that the director doesn't disable it by default would be the sort of thing people notice.
Just because I don't care for a lot of modern conventions I feel are tailored for new players, don't make the mistake of thinking I'm out of touch. I play pretty much every racing game out there as much as I can. Though this last year that's been hard, being out of work for so long. Thankfully I'm working again so I'll be trying out Project Cars asap.

Anarion07

Troll post?
I mean come on.

Top Bottom