• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hey, this is pretty great! Love the way it looks and feels, the sense of speed, etc. Glad they finally got this version out, MIGHT actually end up upgrading to the full version.

However, I'm a bit confused as to how I'm supposed to be playing it. Should I brake into corners and take them slowly like in a sim racer, or should I just be hitting the handbrake and sliding through like in Motorstorm? This game's physics seem to be somewhere in-between, so I'm not sure what's the best approach.

AEREC

It's weird...driveclub is sometimes the worst and best looking driving game I've seen this gen.

Really don't see why this runs at 30 fps sometimes.

deoee

It's weird...driveclub is sometimes the worst and best looking driving game I've seen this gen.

Really don't see why this runs at 30 fps sometimes.

Just like real life ;p

Flat sunshine looks like shit.

30 fps because of all the dynamic weather, physics, lighting and whatever that has to be done in the background.

Qassim

???

I don't understand this. Wouldn't the game look exactly the same if it was 60fps. I mean changing the framerate would be exactly that.

A higher framerate does not mean the already existing geometry, the lightning, the textures, reflections would change. "Graphically" the game would still look the same.

The only thing would change would be increased illusion of speed due to faster response time.

So criticizing the visuals and saying it's because the frame doesn't make any sense to me.

A smoother frame rate is part of the visuals. It's a pretty easy concept to understand. I'm not looking at screenshots, I'm playing the game, and a game looks better when it is running at a smoother frame rate. You see more visual data per second, that improves the visuals.

Also, I wasn't criticising the visuals - I just didn't think they looked as impressive as many people built them up to be - which I thought was perhaps due to the fact i'm using to playing racers at 60fps (FH2 being another recent example of a 30fps racer).

I need a a training mode or something. I'm just terrible at this game.

This is something I wish all racing games did rather than the rewind or driving line, similarly to training modes in fighters. I personally don't need it but there are many who are interested in driving games but don't necessarily know the fundamentals and what is the point of including assists if they don't actually help a players carry across the fundamentals to other games.

This is something I wish all racing games did rather than the rewind or driving line, similarly to training modes in fighters. I personally don't need it but there are many who are interested in driving games but don't necessarily know the fundamentals and what is the point of including assists if they don't actually help a players carry across the fundamentals to other games.

Yeah, I've never driven a car in real life or played many racers so have zero idea how/when to use the brake or how to take a corner. Trying to watch some guides but it's still very confusing to me.
Current tactic is to drive into a corner full speed, hit the side and speed out of it :-/

Anarion07

Hey, this is pretty great! Love the way it looks and feels, the sense of speed, etc. Glad they finally got this version out, MIGHT actually end up upgrading to the full version.

However, I'm a bit confused as to how I'm supposed to be playing it. Should I brake into corners and take them slowly like in a sim racer, or should I just be hitting the handbrake and sliding through like in Motorstorm? This game's physics seem to be somewhere in-between, so I'm not sure what's the best approach.

Handbrake won't get you far in races.
For some corners it's enough to ease off the gas or just "feather" it a little, same with the brake.
And most importantly, when accelerating out of a corner, don't push R2 all the way through. As soon as your controller vibrates, you know you're pushing too far.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Handbrake won't get you far in races.
For some corners it's enough to ease off the gas or just "feather" it a little, same with the brake.
And most importantly, when accelerating out of a corner, don't push R2 all the way through. As soon as your controller vibrates, you know you're pushing too far.

Yeah, that's what I've been starting to arrive at too. Thanks!

Can you earn trophies in the trial edition?

Yep.

waypoetic

Banned
Did my first online race in this and I was surprised by the other dudes not ramming each other and causing chaos. Everybody fucking raced for a change! Awesome!

Endo Punk

Took me a whole day to download. Played for an hour and then deleted it. This game does sorta feel bog standard and soulless. For all its flashy visuals and weather it really isn't fun to play. Will wait for GT7 for my sim fix and Outrun and Ridge Racer for arcade goodness.

desu

Did my first online race in this and I was surprised by the other dudes not ramming each other and causing chaos. Everybody fucking raced for a change! Awesome!

You should be glad then, it's usually pretty bad and I would guess with the influx of new players its even worse.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The weather effects in this game sure look this, but MAN do they make it difficult to play at times, especially with how water collects on the camera. I prefer using the hood camera, and I just can't see shit when it's pouring down or snowing heavily. At least with the cockpit views you get wipers, but I don't like how much of your view is obstructed by the car in those views.

MMaRsu

Took me a whole day to download. Played for an hour and then deleted it. This game does sorta feel bog standard and soulless. For all its flashy visuals and weather it really isn't fun to play. Will wait for GT7 for my sim fix and Outrun and Ridge Racer for arcade goodness.

Lol u tried it for an hour? Hard to get into the handling model. When you get better its more like a good mix between RR and PGR. Drifting around corners all day baby.
Also wtf does soulless even fucking mean. Its a game dude. You want a guy screaming HEYHEY SWEET DRIFT BRO, or perhaps an open world?

Endo Punk

Lol u tried it for an hour? Hard to get into the handling model. When you get better its more like a good mix between RR and PGR. Drifting around corners all day baby.
Also wtf does soulless even fucking mean. Its a game dude. You want a guy screaming HEYHEY SWEET DRIFT BRO, or perhaps an open world?

To each there own. The game didn't click with me at all. Having more fun playing Outrun Online Edition and Ridge Racer type 4.

Bought the full game awhile back. First and only game I got digitally while a physical copy is available.

Game is OK for what it is, but it's no racing game whatsoever.

This is a lot of fun! I'm really considering getting the full version + season pass once I finish all there is to do with the PS+ version. It looks great too. I was really impressed with how Project Cars looks, but this blows it away.

lol what does this even mean?

Endo Punk

I don't mind people not liking the game, but the "soulless" comment is something I'll never be able to comprehend in any way.

Just means the game doesn't have any personality. It won't stand the test of time like GT, RR, Outrun Burnout, Forza. Nothing stands out, it just exists to fill a need in the library. Like The Order.

desu

Just means the game doesn't have any personality. It won't stand the test of time like GT, RR, Outrun Burnout, Forza. Nothing stands out, it just exists to fill a need in the library. Like The Order.

So basically 99% of the games released in the last 20 years are soulless? Because all you mentioned were some of the most "iconic" game series of the last 20 years (which also had their fair share of bad entries). "Soulless" just seems like most lazy argument you can make to me. Let's just call it "soulless" so I don't have to say why a game is good or bad.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Does Gran Turismo have a personality? Isn't one of the common criticisms throughout its iterations that it feels very sterile? You're not going to argue that jazzy menu music gives it personality, are you?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For the love of all that is unholy, please patch in an option to turn off rain collecting on the camera, or at least tone it down. Can't see shit, captain.

Also, the AI drivers in this game are assholes. They just don't give any shits whatsoever.

skybald

I am a sim racing fan in that I played all the Forzas through 4. I like this. Little better and actually find it harder if you can believe that.

My question is, though, how the hell do you drift? I didn't have to do it in Forza and my trick from Burnout 3 doesn't work in this game haha.

Bought the full game awhile back. First and only game I got digitally while a physical copy is available.

Yep with a name like DRIVECLUB it can't possibly be a racer. Probably doesn't even have any cars!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The worst part is when you enter a tunnel and it blacks out for a second and you have to orient yourself to the road again.

On the bright side, you're unlikely to encounter a sudden turn inside a tunnel, so you just have to remember the angle of entry. I find the night rain much more bothersome.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Races in heavy rain (can't see shit) with a load of asshole AI drivers (who obviously don't have visibility issues) spinning you out every chance they get are the worst. Wet weather looks great it this game, but it's no fun to race in.

Guess what? It happens in real life too.

In real life most tunnels are like this one, with lights inside and visible from outside

968R-6-TR.jpg

johnny956

I'm most likely upgrading to full version. I'm not a fan of racing games in general but this is a fun game. So satisfying when I finally got drifting figured out

le-seb

Races in heavy rain (can't see shit) with a load of asshole AI drivers (who obviously don't have visibility issues) spinning you out every chance they get are the worst. Wet weather looks great it this game, but it's no fun to race in.
The AI is only a problem because you're too slow going through corners.
Once you'll get better/faster, they won't ram into you any more.

And racing in wet weather can really be a great experience once you master cars and tracks.
The events in the Startline Tour aren't really easy for beginners, though.
The Driveclub Tour from the full game is much more balanced for newcomers.

Endo Punk

Driveclub didn't give me anything to latch on to like other racers mentioned. Look folks I don't feel either-or for the game. I am not invested in the ip to feel the need to debate why it doesn't deliver, unlike the The Order where I was genuinely let down. The benefit of having a small fanbase is that they will not want to hear why the game they worship is so-so. I've been there and also enjoyed and been vocal about games that will never get a sequel.

johnny956

Driveclub didn't give me anything to latch on to like other racers mentioned. Look folks I don't feel either-or for the game. I am not invested in the ip to feel the need to debate why it doesn't deliver, unlike the The Order where I was genuinely let down. The benefit of having a small fanbase is that they will not want to hear why the game they worship is so-so. I've been there and also enjoyed and been vocal about games that will never get a sequel.

Yea to each their own. I could never get into the GT games myself but enjoying this one. I'd imagine their keeping this game as a service because car enthusiasts love those add ons

Skii

It's great fun to race in. It absolutely pushes you to the limit in this game. Rain at night is the ultimate challenge. It's basically like Souls but with cars.

Endo Punk

Yea to each their own. I could never get into the GT games myself but enjoying this one. I'd imagine their keeping this game as a service because car enthusiasts love those add ons

Awesome. That's a good idea. Keeping the game going as a service is great for fans and builds trust.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The AI is only a problem because you're too slow going through corners.
Once you'll get better/faster, they won't ram into you any more.

And racing in wet weather can really be a great experience once you master cars and tracks.
The events in the Startline Tour aren't really easy for beginners, though.
The Driveclub Tour from the full game is much more balanced for newcomers.

How great that the Startline tour is the only thing you can do in this version then. Everything else is locked behind the upgrade. I knew this version would only have s limited set of tracks and cars, but I actually didn't think it would be THAT limited in terms of SP content. Oh well.

It's great fun to race in. It absolutely pushes you to the limit in this game. Rain at night is the ultimate challenge. It's basically like Souls but with cars.

Sorry, but I just don't find not seeing the road ahead of me a fun challenge.

In real life most tunnels are like this one, with lights inside and visible from outside

968R-6-TR.jpg

That's Hong Kong, cool

To those who can't see shit while racing under rain or those who can't drift....you need a bit of time, everything comes together when you get the hang of the handling and the circuits layout. The more you play the more rewarding DC becomes

Top Bottom