• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

bombshell

Why not sort the reviews in the OP? Either from highest to lowest or lowest to highest. Makes it easier to get an overview of the scores.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Twenty minutes in and can't say I'm impressed either. What a shame, will still be happy to play the plus version on Friday though.

20 minute of Jeff bumping round the track clearly shows he shouldn't be playing racing games.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Expected.

It was always an odd proposition to set to work on a realistic car racer alongside the Gran Turismo series, while simultaneously rejecting their fantasy based racing properties of Wipeout and Motorstorm.

Had it made PS4 launch it would have made a little more sense, but a whole year later here in the back end of 2014, its position is even weirder.

I'm a PS4 only owner and have no interest in LBP3 and Driveclub seems to be something that won't hold my attention for long.

Wii U has Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2.

Xbox One has Master Chief Collection and others.

So for me the PS4 this Christmas looks pretty barren unless I can persuade myself to replay GTAV all over again.
I don't understand the hype for people who rave about MCC other than nostalgia. How long is that going to last after the first month? It's like PS4 owners bragging about TLOU. X1 has Sunset Overdrive which looks wicked though!

Torgo

I've been playing it for over 2 weeks, and I can't put it down. Apparently it's only because I'm a fanboy? I seriously don't understand these lower review scores at all.

PS Nation Review 9.0/10

Seriously, grab the PS Plus version and form your own opinions. I can't stop playing it, and I'm up to level 27 so far.

Here's a replay of a Livestream I did last Thursday too (It's a Livestream replay, so teh fidelity is a bit low obviously)
Video

DevilFox

the order will be the flop of the century, if u think dc reviews are bad just wait till the order releases. bloodborne will be critically acclaimed

Yup, exactly. Unless a miracle happens for the The Order, but I'm afraid its fate is already decided.
Funny how we can predict scores without playing the games. Or should I say that it's not funny at all.

I have to say i really like it that the critics become more critical and doesnt throw 8/9/10 around like in the past.

Makes it much more interesting to folllow reviews again.

Betty

Banned
Third party games are what sell console's these days. I also think that people want the most powerful console, since everybody is on the internet these days, buyers will do a bit of research before spending 400$ on a console, and make sure they get the best bang for there buck.

Yup, that's all true for me too and third party games are why PS4 was my go to choice. All I'm saying is that it's surprising that the console winning the current console war has a weak exclusive holiday lineup compared to it's competitors.

Enzo_Ferrari

Neo Member
I really enjoyed the review from Luke Reilly (IGN), he's always had a good understanding of the racing genre. I highly recommend people read it rather than looking at the score or last paragraph.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Jesus Christ Sony is off to a mediocre start this generation -- and I say that as a huge fan.

Business

Puzzling how there can be such a stark contrast with GAF's first impressions. Looking forward to try the PS+ version.

I hoped this would get better reviews, I guess i'll try out the PS+ version, and buy it if it's fun.
Hopefully it sells well enough to get a sequel, or fund a new Motorstorm.

Very disappointing to hear.

I was really hoping this might have been the racer to pull me back in after the demise of PGR.

That said, I will be checking out the PS+ version to see for myself whether it is worth the purchase.

SgtCobra

screenshot_2014-10-0797ulu.png

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

mcrommert

Banned
Some harsh words on those reviews. Some reviewers even looked pissed. lol

Man, I really dislike when they criticize the "lack of innovation", "no soul". Pure garbage.

Racing is all about soul...there needs to be that feel to racing games...GT has it, Forza, especially horizon, has it.

Jeff not liking it doesn't say a whole lot about any particular game. :p

I love GiantBomb, but Jeff is nothing but an old man telling kids to get off his lawn and how everything sucks today. Hearing him trying to go against every positive thing someone like Brad has to say is the most annoying part of the podcast. I like Jeff, but lord he is turning into the most jaded gamer ever.

Betty

Banned
I don't understand the hype for people who rave about MCC other than nostalgia. How long is that going to last after the first month? It's like PS4 owners bragging about TLOU. X1 has Sunset Overdrive which looks wicked though!

Personally I see Sunset Overdrive getting old quick and Insomniac haven't been on a winning streak for a while, just my opinion.

But playing remastered Halo 2 multiplayer this x-mas would be pretty damn special I think.

That is pretty disappointing, although obviously I take reviews with a grain of salt. After all the delays and dev hoopla this isn't looking like a good outcome. Regardless, I am not sure all the features that reviewers are lamenting amount to much more than gimmicks to me. Of the open world racing games I have played, only carmaggeden amused me for more than a few minutes.

basically everyone didn't like that it's about racing a car on a track.

that's what i've been finding about games reviewers. they all want the same things.

sadly, it's about driving on a track which is boring for most of these reviewers.

Hey, now that I look at it, reviews actually aren't that bad aside from the Gamespot and Eurogamer review. Polygon even gave it a higher score than FH2.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The real tragedy is the op using backslash to separate the actual score from the highest possible score within a scoring system.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Exaggeration.

He isn't that bad, he plays quite a few racers. Do you have to be the Lewis Hamilton of racing games to review or give your opinions now?

Nope, you just need to know what a hatchback is.

Top Bottom