• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS is a lot of old games. Thank god for Advance Wars DS

pilonv1

Soul4ger said:
Bah, shut up. You haven't even played it. The touchscreen control option might be great, even if you think it looks stupid.

I don't care how it looks as long as it's enjoyable and useful. And from IGN's accounts it's not.

The controls are definitely different than the Nintendo 64 version, since the DS lacks a true analog stick. The digital pad offers a standard walk, and holding down the Y button will cause the character to run. It's not as precise as the Nintendo 64 game with its analog control, which is why it was mentioned during the presentation that there's a new touch screen control option in the game where the screen becomes an analog stick. You can slide your thumb along the touch screen and the character will behave as if you were pushing around an analog controller. It took a few minutes to get used to, and I simply changed the controls back when it got too awkward to play this way. But Nintendo representatives stated that this control mechanism's better when used with a special stylus-thumb strap device that may be made available when the system ships at the end of this year.

Stylus thumb strap? INNOVATIVE.

de·lu·sion Audio pronunciation of "delusional" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-lzhn)
n.

1. The act or process of deluding.
2. The state of being deluded.
2. A false belief or opinion: labored under the delusion that success was at hand.
3. Psychiatry. A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness: delusions of persecution.

Brofist

Actually I was thinking the same thing, Advance Wars really is the saving grace of all the games shown, most of the rest of the games don't impress.

ManaByte

Gold Member
kpop100 said:
Actually I was thinking the same thing, Advance Wars really is the saving grace of all the games shown, most of the rest of the games don't impress.

I love SM64, but with the control issues I'm hearing about I'm mostly excited about Advance Wars and Animal Forest.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
kpop100 said:

Purely opinion, another person could say almost all of the games impressed. Who cares.

MaddenNFL64

I hate that they're calling the Wars games Advance Wars now. I guess it just stuck in peoples minds now. I would have liked DS Wars though.

AniHawk

MaddenNFL64 said:
I hate that they're calling the Wars games Advance Wars now. I guess it just stuck in peoples minds now. I would have liked DS Wars though.

It works though. It sounds like it's about wars using advance tactics or machinery.

MaddenNFL64

Sure, it works, but they're breaking years of tradition. Though, I guess "Console Name Here" Wars is a relic of the Famicom days when sports games were just named "Ice Hockey" & such :p.

Jim Bowie

MrAngryFace said:
Why couldnt you just send a letter to nintendo telling them to send you a mario t-shirt you could experience SM64 in again for the 6th time and SPARE US THIS REPEAT?!?!?

Nintendo is stingy with giving out shirts?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Justin Bailey said:
It appears that the DS has re-fueled the Nintendo trolling in MAF. It must be seen as a threat.

Cry "Havoc" and let slip the Nintendogs of war!

The video of the guy playing Metroid looked very promising. Free look with the stylus and strafing with the dpad looked about as smooth as using a mouse/kb. That game will be amazing in multiplayer.

I would say that something's seriously wrong with some of your guy's judgement on what makes games fun. Either that, or you just have't watched any of the videos from today.

Please say you haven't watched the videos :(

Its not so much a threat, as its the hardware nintendo fans will delude themselves for. Gamecube was able to exist on its own for legitimate reasons, DS is just poo poo save Advance Wars which rules ALL!

Kon Tiki

Banned
I think pilonv1 knows what he is talking about. He has a lot of experience with bad controls. He plays console FPS with an analog stick after all.

P90

I want that surgery game. Can't do that on any other platform.

A stylus controlled Mario port >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>some lame @ss MG CARD game. Talk about kiddie...no STUPID. Yu-Gi-Oh Snake.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
it was an actual question, you go for absurd humor a lot of times.

Brofist

P90 said:
I want that surgery game. Can't do that on any other platform.

A stylus controlled Mario port >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>some lame @ss MG CARD game. Talk about kiddie...no STUPID. Yu-Gi-Oh Snake.

easy tiger

nubbe

Nintendo is taking old games and innovating them, if you can't see that they are saving the industry.. you are blind!!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Are you all stupid? He wants you to respond like this. The whole point of the thread is to make Nintendo fans angry. Even trying reason and telling him he's stupid is what he wants. It's all about the reaction.

You think your best response is to point out flaws in what he's saying, but it's not. The best thing to do is not respond to the topic. Just don't. All he wants is the reaction, and you're giving it to him.

JUST DON'T RESPOND

MrAngryFace said:
GOOD COMEBACK, LEVIOUS! YOU SHOWED ME WHAT FOR!

haha, turd.

With so many DS threads and with a day only containing 24 hours it must be hard to troll in most of them, but keep up trying maybe you end up being rewarded.....oh and if i were you i should wait for DS wars for PS2......

P90

Mama Smurf said:
Are you all stupid? He wants you to respond like this. The whole point of the thread is to make Nintendo fans angry. Even trying reason and telling him he's stupid is what he wants. It's all about the reaction.

You think your best response is to point out flaws in what he's saying, but it's not. The best thing to do is not respond to the topic. Just don't. All he wants is the reaction, and you're giving it to him.

JUST DON'T RESPOND

MAF's witticisms in reply>>>>>>most fanboy responses. It is fun to provoke back. :)

Oh come on. At least you have to agree with the social agenda of NDS:

crush-20041007011814509.jpg

Cathcart

nubbe said:
Nintendo is taking old games and innovating them, if you can't see that they are saving the industry.. you are blind!!
Right. Nintendo is "innovating" old games. Look, I have no problem with people who love Nintendo. I'll be there on day one. But for fuck's sake, does the word innovation have any meaning left in it? I'm gonna go innovate some shit into the toilet, hopefully this conversation is still going strong when I get back. You guys try to innovate some replies.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Mister Driller > Advance Wars + Mario 64

Metroid Hunters, Ridge Racer DS, Mario 64 DS will all be mine on launch. I don't know what you're smoking but if something looks fun then I'll buy it.

xsarien

daedsiluap
pilonv1 said:
I thought I was the only one. It's like 1997 all over again with worse controls. Is it worth $200+ for portable N64 games?

Another is about the only interesting title I've seen so far.

For $150 you get a portable system equivalent to the N64.
With two screens (one of which is touch sensitive). Oh, you also get game carts that are much bigger - and much cheaper - than N64 titles. And don't forget two flavors of wireless communications.

GBA compatible, too.

But outside of those silly things, yeah, it's obviously just an overpriced N64.

D00d.

Link316

Banned
But Nintendo representatives stated that this control mechanism's better when used with a special stylus-thumb strap device that may be made available when the system ships at the end of this year.

they should just include this with the DS if they wanna do the right thing instead of using it to squeeze another $10 out of us

Belfast

Gotta agree. Only games I seem to want on DS so far are games I liked on the GBA. Which means......Wario Ware and Advance Wars. Pictochat could be neat, you know, if there are actually other people around to use it with. :p But its not really a game.

SFA_AOK

N64 was the best console of its gen for me.

As for MAF, I look forward to the many threads worth of "I've just bought a DS" and "I've just sold my DS." Now *that* will be the real rehash!

Soul4ger

Link316 said:
they should just include this with the DS if they wanna do the right thing instead of using it to squeeze another $10 out of us

IAWTP

I can't imagine it being expensive by itself, they should just throw it in there.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Where is the hype for Wario Ware DS? Being that Wario Ware on GBA was the greatest handheld game of all time (yes 100 times better then Advance Wars) it would only be fitting that the DS version basically owns all other games.

Insertia

Save Feel the Magic, I have NO interest in the currently shown DS games. It's just a couple of n64 ports and the rest looks like GBA quality stuff...and I'm not a fan of GBA software.

Feel The Magic should be standard for the system. It actually intergrates DS's hardware innovations into the gameplay unlike the rest of the software which uses both screens/touch screens in a gimmick fashion.

atm DS is looking like GBA 0.5.

Top Bottom