• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS is a lot of old games. Thank god for Advance Wars DS

seanoff

YAY MAF, finally someone brave enough to say it.

Rehashes with worse graphics and questionable controls /= good games.

Tabris

Bluemercury said:
Yes because you've played it.

Fine, then to be exact, SNES 2D >>>> N64 3D :p

Early 3D, especially N64 3D aged so poorly. PSX and Saturn at least had pre-rendered backgrounds and CG movies which still look nice.

border

It has been a pretty interesting week. I love how after many months of trolling PSP threads with "It will be nothing but ps2 ports!", the N-bots' most-anticipated title is now a friggin' N64 port with crippled graphics and controls.

Shoryuken

border said:
It has been a pretty interesting week. I love how after many months of trolling PSP threads with "It will be nothing but ps2 ports!", the N-bots' most-anticipated title is now a friggin' N64 port with crippled graphics and controls.

Mario 64 DS looks better than Mario 64. If you can't see that, well I don't know what to say...

Kon Tiki

Banned
border said:
There are no n64 ports on NintendooDS. Well no straight ports that is.

border

If you can't see that, well I don't know what to say...
All I can see are nasty, muddy textures that look like they belong in the Saturn port of Tomb Raider.

920758_20041007_screen007.jpg

border said:
All I can see are nasty, muddy textures that look like they belong in the Saturn port of Tomb Raider.

"Graphically the game seems much more colorful, sharper and lively than the Nintendo 64 game, though the images have a sort of "shimmy" to them that might be due to the lack of texture filtering of the Nintendo DS. When the game was blown up on the big screen a lot of the graphical issues were made known...but on the small backlit screen of the Nintendo DS, you won't care that there's some pixelation going on in some textures. The resolution of the screens do a decent job of masking the issue."

-Graig IGN

border

Aren't Gamespot's screens at original resolution? You can still pick out the bad textures.

I wish this had been a GameCube game or something =\

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
border said:
Aren't Gamespot's screens at original resolution? You can still pick out the bad textures.

I wish this had been a GameCube game or something =\

watch the video on gamespot.

AfroLuffy

Nintendo fans on this forum are like conservatives, they'll buy anything the administration sells them.

... ... ... ... ... ... ...

That said, Advance wars provides hope and a 2d castlevania would mean instant purchase, but to me, with the more i see, the DS looks more and more like a big two screened gimmick(a sexy one, i'll concede).

Where's the innovation? Developers are too afraid to step out of the box because most consumers like their sequels and for them change is hard to accept. Unless, you can mastermind an insanely creative, technical, and revolutionary game that just happens to use two screens, i don't think you'll be changing anyone's mind.

I enjoyed the gba modest selection of 2d gems and i'm thankful for them; but, i'm saddened by the n64-ish 3d graphics present in most DS titles(goeman and i would die for you, not included).

I guess, i'm going to miss the gba handheld market, where 2d games were acceptable forms of entertainment and still appreciated.

Shoryuken

border said:

I thought the screen shots looked worse than the 64 version too. I wasn't too keen on the game until I saw the video. It definitely looks improved over Mario 64.

Just so you don't have to search for it here's the video:

Gamespot - Mario 64 DS

The video quality of the stream isn't very good, but you can definitely tell that the DS version is an improvement over the original.

Kon Tiki

Banned
AfroLuffy said:
Nintendo fans on this forum are like conservatives, they'll buy anything the administration sells them.

That is absurd, KAR, Mario Ball, Cuivore all got it share of hate from fans.

explodet

I'm personally getting a DS primarily for the new Advance Wars - I won't be picking up Super Mario 64.

But if you ask me, the DS does have a lot going for it - just not necessarily at launch.
Later on you'll see original titles like Puppy Time, Caduceus and Jam with the Band; old franchises with new gameplay like Wario Ware DS, and titles that were previously Japan only like Final Fantasy 3 and Objection Court (Gyakuten Saiban).

And of course, many sequels, remakes and ports. Excuse me, enhanced ports.

Kon Tiki

Banned
AfroLuffy said:
Jesus, a bit defensive? lol, it was a joke, not a tenable statement of truth and honesty.
Jesus, a bit defensive? lol, it was a joke, not a tenable statement of truth and honesty. ;)

border

A shitty low-res web-video of footage that wasn't direct feed in the first place is going to hide all flaws present in screenshots, ya know =P I can't watch it because the stream is always fucked up (constant buffering/stuttering). If any true believers want to mail a real hi-res version to me, I've got (and will give) a gmail account ;)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I imagine a Pikmin DS adaptation would be mint. Imagine the "input screen" being the smaller, zoomed in perspective of the main screen. A circle with the radius that Spaceman can target and through anywhere within. Tap, tap on all your targets. It would play out much more precise and fast-paced than the console version. You could very quickly assign the requisiste # of pikmin to tasks and even do so while still moving. That's one thing about the console set-up; you have to stop to aim. The DS setup I described would allow you to "run-n-gun".

...also, a neat way to whistle back pikmin could be to draw a small circle around them.

Kon Tiki

Banned
border said:
A shitty low-res web-video of footage that wasn't direct feed in the first place is going to hide all flaws present in screenshots, ya know =P I can't watch it because the stream is always fucked up (constant buffering/stuttering). If any true believers want to mail a real hi-res version to me, I've got (and will give) a gmail account ;)
pm. 170MB is a lot to mail :p

The video it looks just as smooth as Mario 64. That new level with the Mario Sunshine music looked even better. Though it's hard to make out the details in the web footage. It looks more than playable. It's not some 3D hack like on the GBA..

Top Bottom