• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS piracy?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Probably impossible, but I was thinking about maybe they could dump the roms, flash it onto a GBA flashcard, and somehow running it from there...hah what am I thinking

snapty00

Banned
I have a feeling it'll soon be very, very easy to pirate, as long as you're within a WiFi access point connected to a computer that hosts the ROM dumps.

Since the DS can download and execute programs wirelessly, it's only a matter of (short) time before someone figures out how to do that with their own programs and commercial programs. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that someone eventually makes a PC program where you can wirelessly stream a game as it's played on the DS, especially games that are not programmed to be sensitive to the delay.

It'll basically be the equivalent of playing a GBA game on your PC: it's not really portable, but you can play any DS game you want.

More immediately, I think you'll see home-made programs and cut-down commercial games (to fit in the RAM of the DS until someone figures out a streaming method).

snapty00 said:
Since the DS can download and execute programs wirelessly, it's only a matter of (short) time before someone figures out how to do that with their own programs and commercial programs. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that someone eventually makes a PC program where you can wirelessly stream a game as it's played on the DS, especially games that are not programmed to be sensitive to the delay.
If it were really so easy, I'd think someone would have done it with GBA<->PC connections. Then again, maybe with the flash carts being so popular there just wasn't a... market for such a brand of piracy.

impirius said:
Forget piracy... I can't wait for the first batch of homebrew apps for the DS.
Totally.

Miburou

impirius said:
Forget piracy... I can't wait for the first batch of homebrew apps for the DS.

I'll buy one immediatley if someone releases a kanji dictionary where you can hand write the kanji and get the pronunciation and meaning.

The Bookerman said:
Since it has Wifi and that Nintendo already told us it's possible to download stuff to the DS. How about uploadin stuff from it?
How do you mean? Obviously it's possible for one DS to upload the necessary programs to another DS, or send whatever data is necessary for play.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
www.gbadev.org already has DS homebrew sister site running...

The Homebrew GBA / GP32 scene rocks, and i pray that the DS and PSP are opened up to amateur coders too.

Top Bottom