• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

I'm not someone who needs validation to like something, but the reviews for this have been a joke starting with criticism of a 93 year old Alan Young all the way to bitching about mechanics that were part of the original.

I haven't read any of the reviews, but after playing through the bank level I couldn't understand how anyone can look past the fact that this game pretty much nailed exactly what it set out to do.

It's also not just an homage to the NES game, but an homage to all things DuckTales. Saying that those cutscenes are "intrusive" is like saying the cartoon series sucked.

Sounds to me like critics are spouting off some bullshit.

rhino4evr

Keep getting to the very end of the last level and then dying and having to play the whole level again. The rage! It's definitely an old school game.
Thankfully the level is fairly short. It's that boss that's annoying.

El Odio

Banned
I finally started buying some of the stuff in the gallery and noticed that they included 8-bit versions of the themes from the new levels. Thought that was pretty neat.

Just beat the tutorial level, was this one of the new stages added to the remake? Really like the game so far (WiiU) no control issues went for hard pogo because it just felt wrong to not press down for pogo.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Trying to decide if I want to get this on Steam or on Xbox for the avatar awards :p

Edit: Is there any difference in framerate or anything? I'm assuming not, but wanted to check.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The last part of the last level is kicking my ass :(, Cannot deal with that pressure, and there is no way to get more lives...
SHOULDA PUT A CHECKPOINT AFTER KILLING DUCKULA SO I DON'T HAVE TO PLAY THE WHOLE LEVEL AGAIN WHEN I LOSE MY GAMES #RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Speaking about hard, the game just made me hard reset my wii u because it completely froze going out of the gallery.

Edit: Finally beat the son of a bitch, crunch platforming be damned. Gotta be pretty much perfect on the last part. Man, now that they've teased us with this, they need to do Ducktales 2, Chip and dale 1 and 2, and Darkwing duck. Hopefully this does well in sales.

Lijik

Finally got around to this today and i dunno how I feel about it. Overall its great, and I love the way they contextualize the level menu into the world. Really clever! But I have two issues that keep me from having as much fun as I feel like I should be:
-Had to switch off the Hard Pogo despite playing the four original NES/GB games over Monday evening with no issues. It feels like if im not pushing straight down it wont register, and that becomes a hassle quick. Bums me out because it doesnt feel right
-Having to go into the start menu to skip cutscenes instead of tapping the back button or something takes me out of the game too much. Mentally breaks the flow for me. I really dread having to redo a stage I gameover on because of it. With all the new additional scenes, youd think Wayforward would have implemented a better solution.

The GB version was the same game with a different resolution. :p

Level design wise not entirely. The stages can be very different despite similar structures and a few copied rooms. The Moon level for instance is super linear compared to the sprawling stage on the NES and has some elements that were straight up never in the NES game.

I'm sure many Wii U owners took a similar screenshot:

zlCfzRFvf5g9Sbu5Pv

Into

What the hell is wrong with the controls on PS3?

20% of the time I pogo it just doesn't work, leading to me getting hit by an enemy. And if it does work sometimes when I'm holding pogo and it just...stops midjump. (though this is much more rare than the first problem) What is going on here? I've tried two controllers, same deal on both.

Its the same thing on the 360, as Gerstmann noted in GB's Quick Look of the game

Sometimes it just does not work as it should. Dont think its the controllers, its on their side, hopefully the will patch it

Shady859

So....who else has started watching DuckTales on Amazon Instant Video since this came out? :D

Haha I saw ads for game on PSN and thought wow that looks fun I haven't watched it since a kid. Then the theme songs ads on TF2 server made me NEED the game. Playing made me NEED to watch again but haven't looked for it yet. =D

Its the same thing on the 360, as Gerstmann noted in GB's Quick Look of the game

Sometimes it just does not work as it should. Dont think its the controllers, its on their side, hopefully the will patch it

Has happened to me too (Wii U).

Zenogias

Neo Member
Bought it yesterday and played through Amazon and Transylvania. Love the game this far! The pogo issue is present(PS3), but mostly I think it's in line with the NES-version.

Also, I'm really loving the money-bin-swimming! I remember playing through the original and thinking it was sooo cool when the ending screen changed depending on your amount of loot.

MYeager

If this were an original game, closer to $10 might be more fair, but considering it's a complicated license, I think it's reasonable to cost more. There are definitely added costs there, and if that's the only way to make a game like this make financial sense for everyone, so be it. I'd welcome more Disney remakes at this price.

Wait, which is it? Do unlocks and money carry over if you beat the game and move on to a higher difficulty?

I was incorrect, the game gave me a warning about it, but my money and unlocks did carry over when I changed difficulty, as someone else mentioned.

Shinjiru

The game (PS3 version) locked up on me during the Himalayas level right after the stage complete screen. I'm loving the hell out of the game so far, though. It's a great blast from the past. I'm looking forward to playing with the original 8-bit music on the next playthrough.

The game (PS3 version) locked up on me during the Himalayas level right after the stage complete screen. I'm loving the hell out of the game so far, though. It's a great blast from the past. I'm looking forward to playing with the original 8-bit music on the next playthrough.

This just happened to me in African Mines. Wii U froze, TV display went blank, GamePad display went black and it was clearly a hard lock. It was before the save screen, so my stage playthrough was totally lost. Got upset so I walked away to complain about it on the Internet.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My god that Moon remix I shed tears T-T

Gonna pick it up ASAP but I can't be the only one who has had the moon theme ruined by Brentalfloss' cover.
Brentalfloss is really good at picking the right words with the right notes and singing them. He's an evil earworm demon

Krelian

I seem to be the only one who encountered bugs that prevented the level from continuing. But since there are others with lock-up issues I suppose a patch is in order and just hope they fix my bugs as well.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Gonna pick it up ASAP but I can't be the only one who has had the moon theme ruined by Brentalfloss' cover.

This was all I could hear, please send help.

Also just breezed through my hard playthrough. The differences didn't make it much harder, in fact all of the 1 ups scattered throughout the levels just made it easier. Bosses still had the same hp, damage is the same. The only thing that bothered me was they decided we don't need the map anymore!

Maybe extreme won't be so bad, I've got the level layouts implanted in my brain.

So....who else has started watching DuckTales on Amazon Instant Video since this came out? :D

Yes I did! My roommates and I just finished this game on Wii U. It was super fun and we're still watching the show. Good experience. Maybe not worth the full $15 but whatever. Money is money.

Yes I did! My roommates and I just finished this game on Wii U. It was super fun and we're still watching the show. Good experience. Maybe not worth the full $15 but whatever. Money is money.

The old NES game was worth the 50 dollars when it came out, and this has so much more put into it, so I definitely found well over 15 dollars of value in it.

As for the show, I love the episodes where Donald guest stars. They're like, what the quack is he saying? haha.

Does playing on Easy affect the game aside from difficulty? Like does it change the ending and block levels?

Ive been playing on medium but its too hard.

Does playing on Easy affect the game aside from difficulty? Like does it change the ending and block levels?

Ive been playing on medium but its too hard.

Easy mode (to me) is way too easy, more lives, twice the heart containers, and check points in the stage, almost an auto pilot mode.

I feel hard mode might actually be easier than Normal. Hard offers a few extra lives sprinkled throughout the stages, with heart containers in two stages to get you to 5 hearts, and the AI is exactly the same as it is on Normal. Plus more treasure to unlock things quicker.

So tell me, as someone who hasn't played the original Ducktales game but loves platformers and the franchise itself, should I buy this, or Earthbound and Art Academy Sketchpad

So tell me, as someone who hasn't played the original Ducktales game but loves platformers and the franchise itself, should I buy this, or Earthbound and Art Academy Sketchpad

If it's between the 3, you'll get way more play and probably enjoyment out of Earthbound. It's one of the SNES's best RPGs period.

Ducktales is a very fun game, and was a great platformer in it's time. It still holds up well in my opinion, even with a few flaws it still has present. You said you're a fan of the franchise, so you'd love the voice acting and added story.

As for Art Academy, that's something you can get whenever. Especially if you have a tablet elsewhere.

So it's basically one of the best RPGs of all time, or a very solid and fun Platformer, that has tough NES difficulty, but is a good game and a nice throwback to the series.. If you're in the mood for a Platformer and don't have time for an RPG now, then DuckTales would be mighty fine.

TEJ

My main issue with this game is that when you lose all lives the money you get cannot be used for unlockables. I collected 800,000 worth of cash in Transylvania and when I went to the collectables area it didn't show up.

This is a glitch right?

How do you access the ''secret gyro area in the clouds''? Some seem to think it is totally random, I have yet to encounter it.

Also pretty fun game but it should have been 10€ or have a little more content, like add the Ducktales 2 in there while you were at it. The pogo bug where it doesn't always appear is pretty fuckin bad tho in a game like this. Also encountered another super annoying bug where when you skip the short scene if you lose vs
Magica+Glomgold
you get stuck and need to restart the whole final stage.

I would truly kill for a portable version of this game :(.

Yep. I may still buy at a discount since I don't really care how it looks(I've play the original a million times), I would immediate buy it for 3DS. Being portable, old in design, 2D, and 3D layers would push me smooth over the edge.

duckroll

My main issue with this game is that when you lose all lives the money you get cannot be used for unlockables. I collected 800,000 worth of cash in Transylvania and when I went to the collectables area it didn't show up.

This is a glitch right?

No? You only keep money when you complete a stage.

How do you access the ''secret gyro area in the clouds''? Some seem to think it is totally random, I have yet to encounter it.
Apparently you have to have a 7 in any digit of your money. I'm not sure if it's total for the current playthrough or the total that's displayed in your gallery.

Got all the Steam achievements finally. Really love the game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Not entirely. The GB game had completely remixed level design from the NES version. Kinda like the GB Megaman games, really.

Is the NES version of Ducktales 2 differnt from the GB one, too? Because I only have the GB one, if it is different I might buy the NES version of DT2 and the GB version of DT1 to complete my "collection" of Ducktales games ^^.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Easy mode (to me) is way too easy, more lives, twice the heart containers, and check points in the stage, almost an auto pilot mode.

I feel hard mode might actually be easier than Normal. Hard offers a few extra lives sprinkled throughout the stages, with heart containers in two stages to get you to 5 hearts, and the AI is exactly the same as it is on Normal. Plus more treasure to unlock things quicker.

I was suprised to find a heart container in hard mode
in Transylvania
; in which level is the second one?

duckroll

I've almost beaten the game a few times now, but the final stage is really a bitch. I'm at the point where I feel that I know the stage and the boss well enough to get to the end with all my lives, but I'm still not really confident I'll beat it because of the stupid rope jumping in the escape at the end.

Playing the final stage over and over has also led me to a very unfortunate conclusion: Ducktales Remastered is not a very well designed remake. It might be full of heart, but in their earnest passion to pay "true" homage to the original, I feel that they have also missed a large part of the point in the original game's design. Ducktales can be challenging at times, but it was ultimately a game about open discovery and secrets. The stages were designed to have many optional areas for completionists to explore, and secret areas which reward players for finding them.

There's still some of that in the remake, but Wayforward's insistence on making the majority of optional areas into actual parts of the progression have mostly ruined that feeling. This artificial extension of the stages also makes the pacing feel more bloated at times, and makes replays more frustrating because players cannot customize how they feel like playing the game depending on their mood (Do I want to explore everything and get tons of money today? Or do I want to try for a speed run and head straight for the bosses avoiding all the powerups and cash?) and are instead forced to play everything, each and every time.

The problems with the stage pacing and the artificial difficulty getting in the way of the fun is best highlighted in the final stage which is a Wayforward original. It is devoid of anything which makes Ducktales the fun and joyful game it is to play, and instead capitalizes on all the more frustrating parts of the game instead to make a "hardcore" experience. There is no exploration, there aren't many secrets, there is no balance of easier segments which are fun to play and shows off new enemies along with harder segments which require more effort. Every area requires "effort", and is designed in an in-your-face-look-how-hardcore-this-is way. Spiked floors, pitfalls, killer rocks, minecarts, etc.

The stage itself is extremely linear, but still long, the boss battle is relatively challenging the first time you fight it, with several new patterns to learn, and after the boss fight there is a short climbing race, which would qualify as a fun post-battle wind down epilogue like the original - not too challenging, but something a bit different and plays on the humor of the source material. Instead, here too Wayforward has to ruin the pace and tone of the original by adding yet another area after this. An actual escape as the deadly lava rises. Every mistake here means certain death, and unless you have a large stock of lives left, it could mean redoing the entire stage all over again entirely, just because you slipped on a rope. And there are many, many ropes to slip from.

I have nothing against hard games, and I actually love fair and fun challenges designed to make players learn things about a game and get better at it. But by the end of the game here, I feel the point has entirely been lost. It's not longer about designing a series of challenges which are fun to overcome and feel satisfying when you figure it out. Instead it's about seeing how many times they can punch the player in the balls. The last thing most players want to see after winning the final boss fight and feeling great, is some extra instant death platforming and rope jumping which could result in nullifying their accomplishments before this. Truly a case of how less is sometimes more.

Apparently you have to have a 7 in any digit of your money. I'm not sure if it's total for the current playthrough or the total that's displayed in your gallery.

Got all the Steam achievements finally. Really love the game.

Yeah it works for me everytime when I have 7 in the ten thousand digit! Thanks.

Went for my first expert attempt. Cleared Amazon, Moon and Mines but died at himalayas. I seriously hate that they force hard pogo on you, it's more like fuckin stupid mode rather than fair challenge. I dunno how it was on the old NES controller but it makes absolutely zero sense with dualshock. I had to change to the analogue stick to make it even remotely bearable. That combined with the pogo bug and pogoing sometimes just stopping without reason makes it really a bitch. Should definately have been optional for all the crazys, there is tons of other ways to make the expert mode more challenging without making the controls shitty :/.

Top Bottom