• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

I found hard mode WAAAY easier then Normal, having less hearts can be annoying but the plentiful extra lives well then make up for it. I got 3-5 extra lives per stage

This game is pretty tough. It's an endurance test. Transylvania kicked my butt big time. Just gave up and will try again later.

But I love the graphics and the characters. Makes the game worth it and awesome.

Zenogias

Neo Member
They've been replaced by extra heart containers on Easy and Normal.

They're there on Hard and Expert.

That's good to hear, I'm playing on normal and it kinda bummed me out that they weren't included.

The game is still good, but I agree with duckroll that they have misunderstood the original...my favourite part of the original was the sense of exploration and freedom. The remake has killed that completely by forcing you to go through all areas collecting special items.

El Odio

Banned
I found hard mode WAAAY easier then Normal, having less hearts can be annoying but the plentiful extra lives well then make up for it. I got 3-5 extra lives per stage

After completing hard mode today I agree. Part of it may have been knowing how certain parts of the levels went though but having an extra supply of lives certainly helped. I wonder if extreme mode is the same when it comes to lives.

Daffy Duck

Had a bash on this last night and loved it.

Not sure what the reviewer meant about the pogo jump not working all the time or stopping half way through it's been flawless for me, even bounced across the whole first level.

Jazz-ism

Banned
this game is great! I really hope this starts something new with going back and hd remastering disney x capcom classics

darkwing duck

ducktales 2

chip n dale 1 and 2

lesss go

zweifuss

I just had a thought: why doesn't capcom pay way forward a handsome fee to redo the sprites for ssf2hdr. These guys know how to draw and animate like actual professionals.

Tizoc

I just had a thought: why doesn't capcom pay way forward a handsome fee to redo the sprites for ssf2hdr. These guys know how to draw and animate like actual professionals.

SSF2T HD Remix simply drew OVER the original sprites, to have additional animation would mean for the game to be remade...and the SF2 games have already had enough updates and iterations, that right now most of us would settle for a bundle of original ST and Hyper Fighting arcade versions.

beril

Loving the game, and the graphics and music are beautiful.

Not really a fan of all the cutscenes though. The dialog and VA is great and feels very much like the show, but my love for straight forward no nonsense NES gameplay is much stronger than my nostalgia for the show.

JoeFenix

I'm pretty sure I've figured out why some people still have trouble with the pogo even after holding down first and then pressing the pogo button.

If you're holding down the jump button while doing the pogo input I find that it messes up sometimes so just jump and let go of the jump button.

That fixed the issue entirely for one of my friends and he got through the game on expert no problem after that. I'd imagine a fair amount of people keep the jump button held down instead of releasing it so if you're still having problems, give that a try.

Here's a quick video I made to show how consistent the pogo is for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUffGpAetvE

Lijik

Loving the game, and the graphics and music are beautiful.

Not really a fan of all the cutscenes though. The dialog and VA is great and feels very much like the show, but my love for straight forward no nonsense NES gameplay is much stronger than my nostalgia for the show.

I wish I could toggle em on and off in a menu. I love them the first time I see them! After that though every repeated cutscene is like a mini start+a QTE i could do without

JoeFenix

After completing hard mode today I agree. Part of it may have been knowing how certain parts of the levels went though but having an extra supply of lives certainly helped. I wonder if extreme mode is the same when it comes to lives.

It's not, you get a much more limited supply of lives. It's still more than enough if you play solid though, got to the last platforming section with 9 lives on extreme.

There's around 2 lives in each level on average.

Santar

Does anybody know if there are any unlockable costumes i this?
In one of the duckumentary vids they shoved Scrooge as that Superhero he was in one episode. Alternate colors like red clothes, like he wears in the regular comics over here would be nice too.

Conan-san

Just finished it on easy and I loved it. I really want to see Shantae or simmilar animated like this.

I want to start a normal run but I really don't want to lose the level select for it.

Mzo

this game is great! I really hope this starts something new with going back and hd remastering disney x capcom classics

darkwing duck

ducktales 2

chip n dale 1 and 2

lesss go
Yes, this please. The game is excellent and I want more.

Anyone know how well this is selling, despite a couple of ridiculous reviews?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Picked up mine from GS today.

9528137564_94c4136620_o.jpg

9525352633_b08b9a783f_o.jpg

Ran through Amazon, Transylvania, and African Mines today. The challenge seems just right to me, on Normal. It took a bit to get used to the controls, and I've been alternating between the Wii U Pro controller and game pad. I think my biggest gripe is how excessive the cut-scenes feel, though I honestly do enjoy the performances and I'm kind of taken aback on how harsh some reviewers were about that. Everything else though is enjoyable, so far.

Eusis

Tried the final stage again... Man, this is definitely where the difficulty issues come to a head:
final stage gives no 1ups far as I can tell, has several tricky parts, and is hard stage -> hard boss -> REALLY hard race/escape. Granted it's better than just recycling Transylvania, but it's frustrating how a few tweaks throughout would've made the final stage less bullshit.

Mzo

What's hard about it? There's one bat hanging pretty low over spikes that usually hits me, but that's about it. You should have 5 or 8 hearts at this point, depending on the difficulty. The boss isn't bad, either. Are you having trouble coming up with a strategy to dodge each of his attacks or have you figured them out but are having trouble executing?

As for the
final escape
there are two small shortcuts that help and a huge one that trivializes it.

When you're negotiating chains you can hold diagonally up and forward on the dpad and tap jump as soon as you reach the top of the next chain to traverse them as quickly as possible.

El Odio

Banned
The final boss is actually the easiest one in the game for me. I managed to beat him without getting hit on the first go without knowing his attacks.

SegaShack

The game is #20 on Steam right now. I really hope this does well. I don't understand the reviewers at all.

My only gripes are the forced exploration and forced cutscenes (having to hit start then A every time I pick up a treasure and 4 times before each level is a waste of my time). I actually enjoyed the cutscenes at first and it was great to see a Duck Tales cartoon brought to life in the game but the 5th time around it's just annoying.

Those minor issues aside I had an absolutely amazing time playing this remake, even though I own the original and have played through that one many times.

Had a bash on this last night and loved it.

Not sure what the reviewer meant about the pogo jump not working all the time or stopping half way through it's been flawless for me, even bounced across the whole first level.

I had some trouble being able to do the pogo but 95% of the time it worked fine. I just got a transforming D-Pad controller (was using a standard 360 controller before) and have no issues doing the pogo what-so-ever, and I use hard pogo settings.

One thing that people complain about (even though it is exactly like how it was on the NES version) is the fact that when you pogo if Scrooge's feet (not the cane) hit a ledge you will land on it or if you hit an enemy with your feet you will get hurt.

Eusis

As for the
final escape
there are two small shortcuts that help and a huge one that trivializes it.

When you're negotiating chains you can hold diagonally up and forward on the dpad and tap jump as soon as you reach the top of the next chain to traverse them as quickly as possible.
Yeah, that's my big hang up. I nailed the rest of the stage and in that regard the difficulty's good, but it's such a slog to reach that final point again and again only to mess up, just a 1up or two along the way would've at least given more opportunities to learn that spot then crush it in a final run. I'll keep that trick in mind though and try again later though, thanks.

I didn't really find the new final stage all that hard to be honest. The bats could be a bit of a pain but those could be dealt with with a bit of patience. The chase bit at the end I thought was fairly simple as well, took me a couple of tries to get the timing down perfectly but now I can do it first time with no issues what so ever.

I really enjoyed Extreme difficulty in this game, learning the best route through the game to pick up the lives and heart upgrades along the way took a couple of attempts to get down properly but I managed it without too many problems in the end! I now just need to unlock the last couple of gallery pictures and get one hidden trophy to get all the trophies.

Conan-san

The mixed opinions on this game is making it hard to pull the trigger.
Lemme put it this way, Polygon put their boat out to pasture when they made their Dragons Crown review a one issue vote (though constantly jumping their score with Sim City was, at best, a token gesture), Gamespot has always been awful and IGN once gave God Hand a 3.

I'm willing to cut Giant Bomb some slack due to the timing of particulars but really that's only one reputable place that badmouthed it.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Tried the final stage again... Man, this is definitely where the difficulty issues come to a head:
final stage gives no 1ups far as I can tell, has several tricky parts, and is hard stage -> hard boss -> REALLY hard race/escape. Granted it's better than just recycling Transylvania, but it's frustrating how a few tweaks throughout would've made the final stage less bullshit.

Those chains gave me the biggest headache. Quackula is pretty easy though once you understand the patterns. Green is the easiest, yellow is slightly annoying but you can duck that one, and then the bats might be the hardest but still manageable.

test_account

XP-39C²
I learned something new from this game. I always thought that the boss on African Mines was a big snail. I had no idea that he was something else.

Also, is the money bin level in the original NES game? The reason why i ask is because
in the gallery unlocks, you can purchase a NES version of the money bin level music, and there is also a NES picture that looks like a money bin level. Or was this just remade specifically for this remake?

EDIT: Nevermind, i figured out
that it is a NES version of that tune made as well. That is pretty cool :)

Right, done with Ducktales Remastered, fuck that final level, what a pile of ass and bad level design.
I found only the end of the level to difficult
where you have climb up to get the number one dime. I also found the yellow attack of the boss (where he turns into a huge Dracula) to be very hard until my sister told me that i can just press down to duck between the fangs to avoid it hehe. I had already beaten the game when she told me this though.

There is a 1up at the first chains. I think it is the 5th chain or something, just climb up there and there is a chest with a 1up.

Krelian

Just beat hard mode. What's the difference to extreme mode? Is it just that I'm forced to go through the whole game at once? Because if so, that doesn't sound too bad.

NEO0MJ

Do you like fun games? Because that's what this is.

Lemme put it this way, Polygon put their boat out to pasture when they made their Dragons Crown review a one issue vote (though constantly jumping their score with Sim City was, at best, a token gesture), Gamespot has always been awful and IGN once gave God Hand a 3.

I'm willing to cut Giant Bomb some slack due to the timing of particulars but really that's only one reputable place that badmouthed it.

I don't often give those sites much attention, it's the opinions here that scare me. Seems that some find the game frustrating rather than challenging.

Top Bottom