• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

The music in this game is such a joy.

How do you reliably dodge the blue horn attack of the boss at the mines? The ones where there's a bunch of bolls that roll to the side. Sometimes I can avoid damage, sometimes I can't. Feels like I need some luck to get through it without getting hurt.

jett

D-Member
Finished, fun times, by the end I even kind of enjoyed the story sections...sort of. The strongest parts of the game are the visuals and the music. Wish they would've gone a bit further in revamping the gameplay mechanics, but it's fine considering what it is.

The music in this game is such a joy.

How do you reliably dodge the blue horn attack of the boss at the mines? The ones where there's a bunch of bolls that roll to the side. Sometimes I can avoid damage, sometimes I can't. Feels like I need some luck to get through it without getting hurt.

You have to be mindful of the balls that bounce higher than the others. It's a bit of a crapshoot to be honest.

Cuburt

I think it's fair to say that the two new levels are the worst in the game.

As for me, I tend to struggle with
Dracula Duck's bite attack in the final boss battle
. I find it very hard to dodge. By the time that you've figured out
where he's going to bite
, it's too late to get out of the way.

For Dracula Duck, his closest fang tries to land on top of you. So I've found a good way to predict where he will bite is to lure him towards you and as he moves to bite, move in toward the center of his bill and duck.
No pun intended.

bumpkin

Man, screw the haters. This is fantastic! I downloaded it and started playing on PS3 last night, went through the introductory stage and then through the Amazon. I loved every minute of it. Can't wait to play it some more tonight.

And I'm definitely double-dipping and getting it on the Wii U eShop, too. Letting my wallet do the talking!

scitek

I'm a fan of the show, and the only thing I feel I'm missing out when skipping a cutscene is missing out on the feeling of being really annoyed that the talent is being wasted in interrupting the game and making it worse. This isn't an episode of the show, this is a remake of the NES game. The cutscenes don't look like the show, they look like the game sprites standing around while voice clips are being played. There's no question that they put a lot of care into fleshing out of the plot of the game and connecting it to the show's characters, and getting the original voice cast back to record all that. But it's all wasted because it just makes the game worse. They should have commissioned a 30 minute animated episode of Ducktales based on the plot of the game instead, and put it in as an unlockable. :p

I actually kinda like the characters standing around and having the VO over them, it reminds me of SNES-era games like Buster Busts Loose.

Cuburt

PSA: You must be centered on the cane in order to pogo bounce.

-If your feet hit a ledge and not your cane, it will not pogo bounce.
-If your feet hit an enemy and not your cane, it will not pogo bounce.

Thank you.

Meia

I actually kinda like the characters standing around and having the VO over them, it reminds me of SNES-era games like Buster Busts Loose.

As someone that grew up and started gaming in the NES era and never played this game again, I appreciate the scenes since it gets me in the FEELS since I *loved* this show back in the day. I also realize after dieing in the Amazon how freaking hard this game can be. :p

MYeager

I really don't understand why you lose all your money/unlocks when changing to a new difficulty level. I want to replay it on a harder difficulty, but I also don't want to lose my progress towards unlocking the original music. But I don't want to replay it at the difficulty I've already beaten the game at.

fantomena

Bought it from Amazon.com today (digital version), played the prologue and I have to say, the reviews are wrong. Game is very good.

mugenmidget

Neo Member
Food for thought for those experiencing problems with the pogo.

All right, I've been playing this on a standard definition television and haven't run into any of the issues I've been hearing about.

However, I do seem to remember having issues when I played certain later Mega Man games on HD televisions. Specifically, I had trouble 'holding' a charge when I would charge up my arm cannon. Apparently, due to some kind of lag, the game would somehow skip over a second while I had the button bushed down, resulting in me losing my charge shot. It basically made the game unplayable because you just could not keep the button pushed down for an extended period of time due to the lag.

I'm thinking that this might be what people are experiencing in this HD DuckTales game. The way the pogo works is, you have to keep the button held down, otherwise it will cancel out if you let go of the button, which is a required feature in many parts of the game, such as the underground sections in the Amazon with the spikes on the ceiling. The move works much the same way the Mega Buster does in Mega Man 4 and up, basically having to keep a button held down, otherwise it will cancel out your move.

Does this make any sense?
Those are some good points, but I've seen evidence during my playthroughs (on the PC) of the pogo failing to engage even after holding the button with plenty of free space around Scrooge. There's a thread started on the Steam community forums talking about it (and general lag issues): http://steamcommunity.com/app/237630/discussions/0/864976114858559575/

I hope it gets resolved with a patch (along with more display options for toggling V-Sync, true fullscreen, etc.).

Cmagus

Just started up extreme mode

-3 lives
-no continues
-You die you start the entire game over again
-Hard Pogo (you can't switch)

Gonna be hell getting 100% on this game

netguy503

-3 lives
-no continues

and plus you only get one silver for it (out of a bronze filled trophy list on PS3). I'm not sure it's worth that effort. :(

If I start a new game, will the gallery items I bought stay unlocked? I just beat the game (final part of the final level wasn't so great!) and like to keep going on a different difficulty to unlock all the gallery items.

Shady859

Never played the original but grew up LOVING the show. Just finished the vault and Amazon levels. SOOO fun, playing through on easy and will crank it up and play again.

Steam cards are still about $.40 each give or take a few cents each way. Recouping some of my $10 buy-in. :)

SegaShack

Was worried about this game because of cutscenes but bought it yesterday and played it for 6-7 hours straight and had a fantastic time! The visuals are brilliant and once I got used to how amazing they looked the game became easier to play. It actually feels like you are in a Disney cartoon. The physics with the pogo are different than the NES version and there are a decent amount of differences from the NES game, took me a while to get used to things and learn the new boss attacks. The game has just the right amount of challenge, the theming in each area is amazing. The production values are insane for a downloadable game.

The game plays excellently and is a ton of fun, I love seeing the new things that were added to the game as well. I was worried about cutscenes because I dislike cutscenes in general but in all honesty I really enjoyed them and it felt like I was watching the cartoon. When I had to replay a level it was somewhat of a burden to see them all (mainly The Amazon with the coins) but all you need to do is hit Start + A and it skips it. I think there should have been a simple enable/disable option for cutscenes. Any way I see it this is the best downloadable game I've ever played. Even though it is a remake there are many new things added in and the visuals are just insane. Everything looks so lively in the game.

If reviewers actually gave this enough time so they could master the game they would have a completely different opinion. It isn't even the most challenging of games but it does have challenge to it. It seems like a lot of the time what we see are hand holding games or ultra insane challenging games (meatboy/cloudberry kingdom) this game fits somewhere in the middle.

MoosiferX

This is somewhat incidental, but good lord we've had a lot of people coming into our store looking for Duck Tales on the NES as of late. The buzz around this game really seems to have reached some of our more casual gamer customers.

venomenon

-3 lives
-no continues

Meh, I just can't do hard pogo with the 360 controller, no 100% for me apparently.

Btw, is it possible that easy mode in the NES version allowed you to do easy pogo without pressing down as well? I think I kinda remember it (mostly played on easy as a kid), but then again it's been 20 years.

SegaShack

I can't beat the
race for the lucky dime at the end
, anyone have any advice?

I think it's fair to say that the two new levels are the worst in the game.

As for me, I tend to struggle with
Dracula Duck's bite attack in the final boss battle
. I find it very hard to dodge. By the time that you've figured out
where he's going to bite
, it's too late to get out of the way.

I think I might be able to help.
You can actually dodge his attacks by being between the fangs and ducking beneath the beak when he strikes down. Usually when he turns into the giant head I go one side of the screen to the other, this way when he moves position he is only half on screen and is easy to dodge.

Mzo

I can't beat the
race for the lucky dime at the end
, anyone have any advice?
Aside from memorizing the layout? Sometimes a plain jump is faster than a pogo if the pogo isn't necessary. Do you mean on normal? I fucked up in a really, really dumb way and came back from it to win.

If you can't do this part good luck with the next.

Cmagus

Aside from memorizing the layout? Sometimes a plain jump is faster than a pogo if the pogo isn't necessary. Do you mean on normal? I fucked up in a really, really dumb way and came back from it to win.

Actually the next part where you
climb up while the lava chases you is very easy.

I posted this on the PS3Trophies forum but if anyone is having trouble here is an easy strategy for the final part.
Here is some tips

-At the start climb up the two chains and when you get to the first two sets of platforms bounce off the bottom on and grab a chain that is further in. You don't need to grab the first one and this will shave off alot of time.This should give a much larger space between you and the lava.

-Continue upwards and eventually you will see a lone platform on the right hand side on the final set of chains bounce off of it and grab the final chain. There is no need to climb all those chains as you will die. Climb the chain and bounce to the final platform and there you go.

As for the part where you race for the dime there is no easy way you just have to do it fast and memorize.Also it is much easier to do this using analog. As with the Dpad it require you to be more precise where as the analog control is much more forgiving. I found when I was using the Dpad I was having a hard time grabbing the chains and with analog I almost never miss.

Krelian

Goddamn it, I encountered a bug when I lost the race to the number one dime. When Magica reached it before me nothing would happen. I could still move Scrooge but the camera was fixed on the other two guys so I had no way to reach the top. Had to exit the level through the menu.

It's actually the second time a bug like that happened. The first was in the intro level after the burger Beagle Boy. The next screen was supposed to have an item to swing but the first time I got there the item wasn't there, the screen would flicker and Scrooge would be positioned at the lower right corner each time it flickered. I had to exit there too :/

Anyone else encounter these bugs?

Aside from my problems with the game I'm having a blast. I don't understand the reviews at all. I even like the story scenes.

EDIT: PS3 version btw.

SegaShack

Actually the next part where you
climb up while the lava chases you is very easy.

I posted this on the PS3Trophies forum but if anyone is having trouble here is an easy strategy for the final part.
Here is some tips

-At the start climb up the two chains and when you get to the first two sets of platforms bounce off the bottom on and grab a chain that is further in. You don't need to grab the first one and this will shave off alot of time.This should give a much larger space between you and the lava.

-Continue upwards and eventually you will see a lone platform on the right hand side on the final set of chains bounce off of it and grab the final chain. There is no need to climb all those chains as you will die. Climb the chain and bounce to the final platform and there you go.

As for the part where you race for the dime there is no easy way you just have to do it fast and memorize.Also it is much easier to do this using analog. As with the Dpad it require you to be more precise where as the analog control is much more forgiving. I found when I was using the Dpad I was having a hard time grabbing the chains and with analog I almost never miss.

Thank you both for the tips, will give this another shot later today. I can beat the level and boss without losing a life so hoping for the best.

Andrew.

Banned
Not looking forward to those end segments. I totally pussied out and set my difficulty to Easy after dying a few times on the Amazon boss. I appreciate the challenge wholeheartedly and the game certainly tugs at my childhood like no other, but Im not trying to rip my hair out in frustration here (much like I did during my childhood NES days).

Those are some good points, but I've seen evidence during my playthroughs (on the PC) of the pogo failing to engage even after holding the button with plenty of free space around Scrooge. There's a thread started on the Steam community forums talking about it (and general lag issues): http://steamcommunity.com/app/237630/discussions/0/864976114858559575/

I hope it gets resolved with a patch (along with more display options for toggling V-Sync, true fullscreen, etc.).

Yes, I saw it happen to Jeff a couple times during the Giant Bomb quick look. It's a different issue from the pogo getting cancelled (because of hit boxes which is totally like the original), it's when you jump, activate pogo, and nothing happens.

The pogo fails because you can't pogo the ground when he quakes it... They basically removed the mindless pogoing from that fight.

Yep, which I learned after my 2nd encounter since first time I made it to him I had one life and two hearts. lol.

Loving the increase in difficulty in the bosses. More rewarding playing on Normal and Hard Pogo too.

Also, does every stage have an extra life in it? Those will really help come Boss time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yep, which I learned after my 2nd encounter since first time I made it to him I had one life and two hearts. lol.

Loving the increase in difficulty in the bosses. More rewarding playing on Normal and Hard Pogo too.

Also, does every stage have an extra life in it? Those will really help come Boss time.

Amazon has about 3 or 4 in it. This is on hard. Unless you mean heart container. Only 3 stages have those that I'm aware of, but I'm not saying where :D

Amazon has about 3 or 4 in it. This is on hard. Unless you mean heart container. Only 3 stages have those that I'm aware of, but I'm not saying where :D

No, I mean extra lives, with the Scrooge face. I found one from Mrs. Beaksley at the end of the Amazon, thought there may be more hidden, although I am just playing the game on Normal though.

Mzo

Yes, I saw it happen to Jeff a couple times during the Giant Bomb quick look. It's a different issue from the pogo getting cancelled (because of hit boxes which is totally like the original), it's when you jump, activate pogo, and nothing happens.

When pogo is set to hard, you can't press Y or square and THEN down. It has to be down first or else you get nothing. I know that happens to me sometimes but it's a rare occurrence.

Started this up on hard difficulty. You lose your level progress but keep all the money you had and the extras you unlocked.

The main difference on hard seems to be less heart containers (replaced by treasures in the chests) and a lot more 1-ups. On normal you're limited to basically the Mrs. Beakley ones but on hard they're strewn about throughout the level, like 3 or 4 per.

MYeager

No, I mean extra lives, with the Scrooge face. I found one from Mrs. Beaksley at the end of the Amazon, thought there may be more hidden, although I am just playing the game on Normal though.

On hard I've received extra lives, with the Scrooge face, from different parts of the level, not just from Mrs, Beaksley. I have not played it on Normal to know if that's different.

On hard I've received extra lives, with the Scrooge face, from different parts of the level, not just from Mrs, Beaksley. I have not played it on Normal to know if that's different.

Started this up on hard difficulty. You lose your level progress but keep all the money you had and the extras you unlocked.

The main difference on hard seems to be less heart containers (replaced by treasures in the chests) and a lot more 1-ups. On normal you're limited to basically the Mrs. Beakley ones but on hard they're strewn about throughout the level, like 3 or 4 per.

From what you said, it almost sounds like it'd be easier on Hard than normal, if there's more 1ups. or at least enough to level it out between the two. I also like the idea of more treasure.

Can I switch difficulty during the game, or do I need to start over?

This is the purest joy I've had from a game in 2013. On PC the characters are beautifully sharp and vivid. Love the voices. Nostalgic blast. This game was going for nostalgia and it's a 10/10. It has NES gameplay so it should be 2nd nature to its target audience. Not hard to grasp. Simple and clean.

The cane is Scrooge's weapon. It's pretty obvious that should be where you target so I don't understand some of the reviews. Don't know what they were expecting this game to be. It is great fun. It succeeds at what it tries to be and should have been expected to be.

Nostalgia works. Gameplay works. It's an NES game with sharp controls.

Okay, well this game is definitely easier on Hard than Normal. lol.

There are tons of extra lives throughout the stages, where there's none except for Mrs. Beakley on Normal.

The enemies aren't more aggressive, and don't hurt you for more than 1 heart, the same on Normal.

Yes, there's a couple less health powerups, but there's still plenty enough. Also, tons more treasure. On Normal I beat the Amazon with 1.6 million. On Hard? 2.6 million.

The tutorial stage itself, rewards you with an extra life you can take into the stages. Plus, I just defated the amazon stage, where I left with 5 lives.

Yuterald

Wow at the credits track towards the end, that piano piece...so good. Finished game on Hard. Liked it a lot, not sure I'll power into Extreme or whatever to mop up the rest of the trophies. Love WayForward. Just let them remake/work on anything at this point (as long as JK does the OST though). =D

Mzo

Just beat the game on Hard with 15 extra lives on reserve.

Soul crushingly difficult. Chris Kohler doesn't have time for this.

I can't get over those reviews, man.

edit: achievement didn't pop, wtf?

edit2: there it goes, took a few mins...

phileep

About the pogo problem and why a lot of us are having issues with it.

So in the NES version it didn't matter if you hit down or B first, just as long as they were held down together, Scrooge would pogo.

In this version you HAVE to hit down first, then B. For a lot of us, we're probably hitting down and B at the same exact time, most likely when we do this we're hitting B first thus we're not going into the pogo.

I think that makes a huge difference. I wonder if this was intentional on WayForward's part or an oversight? Regardless, it changes the experience greatly.

That said, I've even had a few times where easy pogo failed to work. Anyone else?

Gartooth

Every reviewer that gave this a 4 or 5 out of 10 should feel ashamed. Absolutely lying about the games quality for asinine reasons. A 6 or 7 is much more honest for this game but personally I would give it around a 9. I had a few niggling issues, but overall this is a very faithful remake and one of Wayforward's best games.

Top Bottom