• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

It took my friend at the Gamestop forever to find it. It's in the digital time code section or something.

yeah, I even helped the guy find the SKU from Gamestop.com; the computer wasn't biting...

EDIT: ordering from Gamestop.com now...the note below isn't a good sign...

ibx7FECUNpW6RL.png

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I freaking loved playing this at PAX. Got pretty deep into the game, about a half hour worth. Absolutely had a blast, so I can't wait to grab it.

Anyone else getting it on Wii U? Hoping it has off-screen play.

Tizoc

I freaking loved playing this at PAX. Got pretty deep into the game, about a half hour worth. Absolutely had a blast, so I can't wait to grab it.

The reviews in the first post are from Australia and were played on the Wii U ;)
IIRC, there will be off-screen play as well.

Shancake

The reviews in the first post are from Australia and were played on the Wii U ;)
IIRC, there will be off-screen play as well.

The entire game is mirrored on the Wii U gamepad. There's no way to turn it off. I played most of the game on the gamepad :)

oti

Banned

YES! THERE IS OFF-TV PLAY.

I've been playing it for a while now on the Wii U. There is Off-TV Play and you can have the map displayed on the GamePad.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I suppose these reviews were inevitable, based on the underlying game. It was fun enough, but it wasn't mindblowing platforming. Just a fun little romp, magnified by nostalgia for the era and the great music.

I'm buying regardless.

Tizoc

Just a fun little romp, magnified by nostalgia for the era and the great music.

I never played the NES game as a kid but I loved DuckTales show, and really a fun little romp is good enough for me; if I end up enjoying it, it was worth getting.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm mainly just buying it to show Disney there's a market for these IPs. I've actually never played the original

do Darkwing next.

Seems to me like a case of "Game is too hard, requires some skill" translates to "the mechanics are broken" --> 5/10

Wasn't the challenging, admittedly clunky gameplay the reason that we love DuckTales so much? And how can it be so bad, if I back in the days as a 5 year old could enjoy the game!?

Aaron

That review is horrible... I didn't find controls to be imprecise at all. The review barely said anything....

EDIT: Just watched the video review.. All of those hits were to his mis timing. The game is hard but not unfair.
I'm not sure someone that bad at games should be reviewing videogames.

NateDrake

I'm not sure someone that bad at games should be reviewing videogames.

But he plays games like Super Meat Boy and Splunkey!

I never played the NES original, so I'm going into this title fresh. I'm looking forward to it & if I enjoy at least I know it isn't because of nostalgia -- though I did love DuckTales on TV and own the series on DVD.

oti

Banned
The stick controls can indeed be weird sometimes (I'm using the easy control scheme) but some reviews make them sound downright horrible. They're fine (at least in my experience).

El Odio

Banned
Polygon Review -- 5/10 -- Link
Watched the video review and just, ugh. In the part where he starts to complain about difficulty half the things that show up in the video to "demonstrate" it seem like they were set up to make it look hard. It was obvious he wasn't going to grab the chain from that height, hit the enemy on the head from underneath it etc.

Aaron

But he plays games like Super Meat Boy and Splunkey!
These are games you can bull charge your way through and eventually get there. The original Ducktales had a very different pacing to it. I'm guessing the new one sticks to that, instead of 'gotta go fast' that most modern platformers are fixated on.

Ok, I'm interested in pre-ordering it, but there's only one thing holding me back... Is there a option to completely turn off all the dialogue? Simply skipping it won't be enough, based on the amount of dialogues that come up during the videos I've seen.

NateDrake

These are games you can bull charge your way through and eventually get there. The original Ducktales had a very different pacing to it. I'm guessing the new one sticks to that, instead of 'gotta go fast' that most modern platformers are fixated on.

The video review shows just that; he seemed to be rushing and forcing his way thru instead of timing jumps. I only said those two games because he specially mentioned them in the video review to justify his love of hard 2D platformers :p.

Watched the video review and just, ugh. In the part where he starts to complain about difficulty half the things that show up in the video to "demonstrate" it seem like they were set up to make it look hard. It was obvious he wasn't going to grab the chain from that height, hit the enemy on the head from underneath it etc.

Yep, exactly. The mechanics are the same, he probably wasn't that good at it back then either.

oti

Banned
Ok, I'm interested in pre-ordering it, but there's only one thing holding me back... Is there a option to completely turn off all the dialogue? Simply skipping it won't be enough, based on the amount of dialogues that come up during the videos I've seen.

No, as far as I can tell. There's a lot of dialogue in the first stage, regularly taking you out of the action. But they are all skippable. The fist stage is as far as I've played (two stages left) by far the worst when it comes to dialogue.

No, as far as I can tell. There's a lot of dialogue in the first stage, regularly taking you out of the action. But they are all skippable. The fist stage is as far as I've played (two stages left) by far the worst when it comes to dialogue.
Thanks, aw, sounds really bad though. Guess I was hoping there would at least be like an arcade mode or some sort, without all the story bits and stuff breaking up the gameplay..

Shancake

Unfortunately not. Every single one is skippable and it's instant though. I wouldn't let it deter you!

So does it have a platinum trophy? :3

I'll prolly pick it up even tho the price is pretty steep. Never really had much time with the NES games, was more of a Rescue Rangers guy.

I'm not sure why some of these reviewers are expecting radically different or updated game play in this.

They do realize it's an exact remake of an old NES game with a fresh coat of paint and a little more content, yes?

All the bad reviews seem to just be. "Blah blah, it's the 2010's, and this style of game play is old!" It's like, really? This is a remake, not a sequel. I treasure the original for what it is, even with it's imperfections, and everything I see in the videos I absolutely love.

Cannot wait to get this. (Oh, and the fact the original voices came back for this, INCLUDING the 94 year old Alan Young as Scrooge McDuck, is absolutely priceless.)
or at least worth his number one dime!

Tizoc

So does it have a platinum trophy? :3

I'll prolly pick it up even tho the price is pretty steep. Never really had much time with the NES games, was more of a Rescue Rangers guy.

Sadly no, Sony, for whatever lame reason, only ever give it to Indies far as digital games go.

Tizoc

Updating first post with reviews, but mainly reviews that aren't eyebrow raising based on the comments in this thread =P

Eusis

I'd really like to know the ages and experiences of those who are the most negative too. McShea's review on GameSpot talking about difficulty is... err, I think this is one of the first games I ever beaten. Admittedly a recent attempt DID give more more trouble than I expected, but I imagine just setting my mind to it would get me to beat it (though I also can't discount the angle I just played on Easy back then...)

Aaron

I beat the first Ducktales as a rental when I was like 12 so I'm not expecting difficulty or length. I want a laid back platformer, and Pid is sadly a little too slow to fit. Not everything needs to be a challenge.

Satchel

Banned

I'm thinking WiiU so I can avoid the inevitable impossible trophies/cheevos.

Just want to play it without having my OCD tapped into.

Shancake

I'm not sure why some of these reviewers are expecting radically different or updated game play in this.

They do realize it's an exact remake of an old NES game with a fresh coat of paint and a little more content, yes?

All the bad reviews seem to just be. "Blah blah, it's the 2010's, and this style of game play is old!" It's like, really? This is a remake, not a sequel. I treasure the original for what it is, even with it's imperfections, and everything I see in the videos I absolutely love.

Cannot wait to get this. (Oh, and the fact the original voices came back for this, INCLUDING the 94 year old Alan Young as Scrooge McDuck, is absolutely priceless.)
or at least worth his number one dime!

That's exactly how I reviewed the game. I judged it based on how faithful WayForward were to the original whilst still doing enough to bring it into the 21st century.

nubbe

I was able to beat it as a kid and loved it
It wasn't too hard or too easy

Highscore made it replayable too

tolkir

Gamestop review

Scrooge has a finite number of lives and, if you should die, you have to replay levels from the very beginning. Rather than add a satisfying challenge, such a punitive system only adds to the frustration. There's no joy in replaying 15 or more minutes because a gorilla knocked you into a pit.

This can't be serious.

Top Bottom