• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

I'm looking forward to this for sure, but I still don't understand Wayforward love. Hearing it was developed by them made me think "ah, so there'll be some dumb decisions in there".

Aaron

I'm looking forward to this for sure, but I still don't understand Wayforward love. Hearing it was developed by them made me think "ah, so there'll be some dumb decisions in there".
I assumed they would only be arting it up. Sounds like they've made a few questionable design changes.

Tizoc

OK, I am curious to see that :)

Is there any reason, why you haven't included yet, that the voice acting is only avaiable in English?

Well to be exact the 'test' is that I make a thread about the reviews to see how people would respond to them ^^; I did update the first post a little too.

VandalD

I'm not sure what Tom McShea was expecting. It reads to me like he never liked the original source material. I don't care that his bio says that he "loves platformers"; if he didn't like the original game and considers the platforming "dull"... then he really shouldn't be covering this game. There's inherent bias there from the start, hoping for something that was never really intended.

Guess what? If you didn't like DuckTales, you're not gonna like Remastered. Big surprise!
Having only the people that loved the original do all the reviews for the remake is an inherent bias too, isn't it? Not everybody likes the original. Not everybody will like the remake. Sure, you can go at this with the attitude of wanting it to be utterly faithful to the NES game, but I think there's also value in people bringing up the fact that it adds very little to win you over if you didn't like the original. It doesn't matter to you, but it would matter to some people, and ultimately people can decide on their own whether or not just a straight up graphical remake is what they're looking for.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Most likely this is going to be the last time we hear Alan Young as the voice of Scrooge McDuck.

I would have liked the original version to have been included with this, even if it unlocked after completing this version first.

I am going to buy this on Thursday, but the price does seem pretty high.

Gigglepoo

I'd really like to know the ages and experiences of those who are the most negative too. McShea's review on GameSpot talking about difficulty is... err, I think this is one of the first games I ever beaten. Admittedly a recent attempt DID give more more trouble than I expected, but I imagine just setting my mind to it would get me to beat it (though I also can't discount the angle I just played on Easy back then...)

I'm 31 and have been playing games for 27 years. DuckTales is so easy that it's just boring. Granted, I really like difficult games, but I can still appreciate something that's not taxing if it's done well. DuckTales Remastered is not.

I'm not sure what Tom McShea was expecting. It reads to me like he never liked the original source material. I don't care that his bio says that he "loves platformers"; if he didn't like the original game and considers the platforming "dull"... then he really shouldn't be covering this game. There's inherent bias there from the start, hoping for something that was never really intended.

Guess what? If you didn't like DuckTales, you're not gonna like Remastered. Big surprise!

Two points

1) It shouldn't matter how I feel about the original DuckTales. This is 2013--not 1989--and I'm judging the game by modern standards.

2) I loved DuckTales. Still do, in fact. I played the NES version on Friday and it's much better than the remake.

No bonfires in Dark Souls is pretty extreme compared to losing 3 minutes of progress in Duck Tales. Fortunately it's not that black and white.

I'm not saying all games should be Mega Man, but criticising a game for having the audacity to present any semblance of a challenge is ridiculous. If you haven't gotten good enough to advance, what makes you think the next area will be easy enough for you to button mash through?

3 minutes? Try 15. I feel that forcing players to replay huge stretches is a very poor way to add difficulty. You may disagree, and that's fine. But don't try to argue that my point is stupid just because we disagree.

I'm not seeing how the Polygon vids with Scrooge getting damaged is supposed to how the game collision or controls are bad. The hitbox is the end of his cane and he missed hitting the enemy with the end of the cane.

5amshift

Banned
Just bought the retail copy on Gamestop since it seems NO PLACE is carrying this in store. Gamestop will not even carry this in store, just download codes.

Any other place you guys were able to grab one at?

Holy shit, this has to be some of the worst voice acting in years.

The fact that the original VAs agreed to do it (and some of them are in their 90's) is pretty impressive in my opinion. Sure the delivery may not be amazing, but the fact that they even participated is pretty awesome.

El Odio

Banned
With all these polarizing reviews and half of the negative ones seeming negative just for the sake of it I'm just going to ignore them and judge the game for myself tomorrow. I've never played the original but from what I've seen and heard from it and seems like it's a blast and if the remastered version is the same thing I'm more than game.

Eusis

I'm 31 and have been playing games for 27 years. DuckTales is so easy that it's just boring. Granted, I really like difficult games, but I can still appreciate something that's not taxing if it's done well. DuckTales Remastered is not.

Two points

1) It shouldn't matter how I feel about the original DuckTales. This is 2013--not 1989--and I'm judging the game by modern standards.

2) I loved DuckTales. Still do, in fact. I played the NES version on Friday and it's much better than the remake.
Alright, yeah, that IS more concerning for someone that just wants to revisit the game. I'll probably wait and see a bit on impressions from everyone else first tomorrow then.

Well, seems like nostalgia strikes again!

I had a bad feeling that this game would show its age poorly. Most NES games do not hold up well.

Let's try not to assume that everyone who enjoys old NES games is too stupid to tell the difference between genuine enjoyment and some cloudy memory in their mind.

Andrew.

Banned
DuckTales is an old school game and old school games are traditionally difficult so seeing if Way Forward and Capcom nerfed the difficulty was important to me... and I absolutely commend them for the way they handled it. They kept it old school. When you die on a level and use up your lives you are done. Back to the level select for you. No super weeney “why don’t you start back exactly where you died” continues, if you get all the way through the end, die on the boss, too bad. You gotta go back through and play the whole level again.

Thanks ScrewAttack. Just what I needed to hear =D

TheYanger

Hah, I love the whining, playing the old ducktales, a game I consider easy as far as NES games go, and losing your lives sends you back to the title screen, no continuing involved? Yet people are bitching about having to redo a STAGE, a 10 minute ordeal, tops.

Andrew.

Banned
Hah, I love the whining, playing the old ducktales, a game I consider easy as far as NES games go, and losing your lives sends you back to the title screen, no continuing involved? Yet people are bitching about having to redo a STAGE, a 10 minute ordeal, tops.

They are the same type of people that complain about 10-15 second load times

Let's try not to assume that everyone who enjoys old NES games is too stupid to tell the difference between genuine enjoyment and some cloudy memory in their mind.

When did I say I did? Plenty of NES games hold up well, but others were a product of their time. This is my personal opinion. If you don't share it, that's perfectly fine.

Lijik

Ducktales the original didnt have checkpoints, but the levels were laid out differently. In the originals you could go straight to the boss without exploring most of the level if you knew what you were doing. The remake forces you to play the whole thing.

Um yes it did, I literally just finished it and anytime you ran across Launchpad, you'd come back to the screen he was on after a death. This happens in the Amazon, Himalayas, and The Moon. He might be in Transylvania and The Mines, I didnt run into him (used that mines shortcut that skips like the entire level).

It is also impossible to beeline to the boss in the Amazon and the Moon without exploring.

Eusis

Even if DuckTales didn't have checkpoints Super Mario Bros did, so they're far from a modern convenience, just a common sense convenience. Though this does make me wonder how the game signals it, if they actually dumped it in Normal, or what.

Santar

Kinda funny that the Gamespot reviewer complains about having to replay some parts of the game after dying when he's such a huge fan of Dark Souls. A game where one of the core concepts is just that, dying and replaying the same stretches again and again.

Kinda funny that the Gamespot reviewer complains about having to replay some parts of the game after dying when he's such a huge fan of Dark Souls. A game where one of the core concepts is just that, dying and replaying the same stretches again and again.

But this is a breezy, easy platformer - or at least the original was - and it's not really expected to have to replay vast swathes of content.

Seriously, you can't compare Ducktales to Dark Souls.

They should make Duck Souls next, though.

Dark Souls, whoo-ooo! Every day I'm getting flayed in Dark Souls, whoo-ooo!
Tales of what the fuck do I do, Dark Souls, whoo-ooo!

ducktales%20remastered.png

MS PAINT FANART

For the reviews complaining about difficulty, checkpoints, lives, health it really sounds like they are just not very good at this game and refuse to admit to themselves to go to easy. Easy mode solves all their complaints about the above items. Don't like game over when you run out of lives? Easy mode. Want more health? Easy mode. Want more checkpoints? Easy mode. I'd understand the complaint if there was no easy mode, but there is.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Btw quick question for those who are complaining about the controls in the remastered version? Which console are you playing on? Also are you using the d-pad or the control stick? (I assume both are supported,) I could see it feeling different if you're using the control stick, or especially the 360's d-pad (it's terribly imprecise imo, even with the newer redesigns).

Top Bottom