• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

I have as much childhood nostalgia as anyone, but the negative reviews have convinced me that I don't need to play this. I guess I just don't really need any frustration in my life right now, it's summer time. I want happiness and good feelings.

Have to agree here. I'll just get my childhood nostalgia on with the new Turtles game. Even though they gave them nostrils it still looks more promising than this. I'll probably pick up DT when the price drops.

Cheska

Is DuckTales on Netflix? Wouldn't it be awesome to watch the show as you're playing the game on the WiiU Gamepad!? :O

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think there was a definite very loose sense of continuity in the original stories. But yeah, it was Rosa who took all of those stories and said "OK, let's put all this stuff together in a timeline so that it makes more sense". It's a bit like what the Zelda fans did with that franchise before Nintendo finally gave in and did one themselves.

Please don't compare the two. Nintendo gave a basic outline about what order their games went in.

Rosa poured over Barks's work and, using all of these stories, and the one-off throwaways and references that barks included, weaved together a historically accurate biographical epic, where we see Scrooge travel the world, enter and leave relationships, and grow, and laugh, and cry. The illustrations included are so painstaikingly detailed, the historical references so meticuliously reviewed for accuracy, and the breadth and depth of scrooge's personality and his life's experiences so rich that many consider it the greatest comic story of all time.

Adam Blue

Its' interesting. Those in games journalism champion not catering a game to everyone (Call of Duty syndrome). DuckTales sounds like it's made for a specific group of people, and I do think WayForward tends to develop like that in the first place.

Someone mentioned Bionic Commando ReArmed, and that is a great example.

I hope Capcom budgeted for the game to be catered to the group it seems to be made for. This is the AAA problem anyway.

Sweet! I'm handcuffed 'til later (at work), but good to know it will be ready and waiting for me.

In other news, I'm guessing it's not up on PSN yet? I preordered it there for the PS+ discount.

No, PSN still doesn't have it.

I'd be downloading it from the eShop right now if not for the blasted region-lock.

Chemo

I have this feeling that this is going to be one of those days where Grace Chen fucks everything up and shit doesn't happen until like midnight.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I told you all about the fucking cutscenes waaaay back in this thread and nobody listened to me.

Absolutely kills the pace of the game when youre interrupted every 10 seconds because you found some item

Blues1990

That indeed sucks. What were they thinking?

Speaking as someone who had never played the original on the Nintendo Entertainment System, I haven't found the in-game cutscenes to hinder my enjoyment of the game. It's a great platformer, and it's definitely funny in parts.

Gigglepoo

I actually didn't do that at all. Maybe you meant to quote someone else?

I might have. Sorry about that.

Either way, replaying a section isn't "added difficulty". If you didn't pass the area, you didn't progress. I'm not sure how that's a new concept for you, but not every game needs to let you checkpoint your way to the finish line.

Yeah, I understand your stance. I just feel that lives is now an outdated concept. I would rather the challenge come from being able to pass a tricky obstacle that having to replay long stretches because you died to often.

Except for roguelikes, of course.

Just love the look of all the characters and their animations! Sounds ace too as I expected from Kaufman. Died on the first boss though I was in a rush as its time for me to head to work!

What's the best way to get a dualshock3 working with this on PC? I hate the 360 d-pad.

I personally install the MotionInJoy drivers and then use Better DS3 instead of the included DS3 Tool. Others swear by the PCSX2 script.

The thing I really like about MotionInJoy is that you can bind the gamepad buttons to keyboard controls and all, if a game doesn't support gamespads at all, so there's that. Probably won't be an issue for this game, and the 360 gamepad emulation works flawlessly.

Please don't compare the two. Nintendo gave a basic outline about what order their games went in.

Rosa poured over Barks's work and, using all of these stories, and the one-off throwaways and references that barks included, weaved together a historically accurate biographical epic, where we see Scrooge travel the world, enter and leave relationships, and grow, and laugh, and cry. The illustrations included are so painstaikingly detailed, the historical references so meticuliously reviewed for accuracy, and the breadth and depth of scrooge's personality and his life's experiences so rich that many consider it the greatest comic story of all time.

Anyone that questions Don Rosa's devotion to his Duck stories should readhis career epilogue: The guy took what Barks started and fleshed out characters like Scrooge - despite the fact Disney never actually asked for it. Then toured the world of his own dime just to please his fans, even though Disney never paid him a single cent for reprints of his work.

Ironically, while scrooge would of never stood for such a thing, the man that best understood him put many peoples desires before his own. At least it seems like he retired to a fairly nice lifestyle anyway.

Waiting for US PSN to update atm.

Its' interesting. Those in games journalism champion not catering a game to everyone (Call of Duty syndrome). DuckTales sounds like it's made for a specific group of people, and I do think WayForward tends to develop like that in the first place.

Someone mentioned Bionic Commando ReArmed, and that is a great example.

I hope Capcom budgeted for the game to be catered to the group it seems to be made for. This is the AAA problem anyway.

I think games SHOULD all strive to reach for DIFFERENT demographics and not the SAME ones. Some games SHOULD be easy, others SHOULD be hard and challenging. Some SHOULD involve puzzles and thinking situations, others SHOULD just be mindless, casual fun. Widen the diversity of games being put out, as well as the diversity withing the gamer community. Not every game is meant to be the same or appeal to what's trending, nor SHOULD it be.

Just played 15 minutes of it. The game's great! Soundtrack is lovely, and controls are as precise as they were in the NES game.

Reviewers are shit.

Also, Steam Trading Cards! Was not expecting that until a card dropped. Nice.

MYeager

Speaking as someone who had never played the original on the Nintendo Entertainment System, I haven't found the in-game cutscenes to hinder my enjoyment of the game. It's a great platformer, and it's definitely funny in parts.

I never played the original, and the cutscenes interrupt the flow of the game for me. Also, while the voicework is great, but the fact that their lips don't move and I think it looks awkward.

Top Bottom