• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

jns

If that picture is real (soory im not a ps expert) I wanna see a youtube video. i had trouble drawing boobies :/

EvaTType01

Neo Member
jgminto said:
Just want to say that the mission
The Hive
is pretty fucked up.
Impregnated chicks strapped to giant penis-like stalks naked that burst when you approach and release octobabies and therefore must be shot on approach. Yeah, something tells me that the 14 years of development messed with 3D Realms' heads.

Argh, seriously, i youtubed that mission and really disappointed
the twins are gonna die.... at least maybe a way to save them etc

it was on the previous game, but all i did was avoid it and pass by....here i gotta shoot ahead of time or else..... i dunno, it just doesn't seem right.....very fucked up.

I'm playing the PS3 version in the hard mode, like I usually do with most games and I'm deeply regreting. I like a good challenge, but every time you die there is always a LONG ass loading that's making me think about giving up from the game.

I can't change the difficult after I started the campaign. So, sometimes I die in 20 seconds, and wait 30 seconds to reload the last checkpoint.

I was liking the game until this point, but the loading time is really dragging the game down. I can't remember other game in this generation (or even last gen) that takes so long to reload the last check point.

Gary Whitta said:
Yay!

1inz38.jpg
i'm going to guess that i didn't make it in there.

it'd be Ryan 'Dr Foxy' Acheson.

Just want to say that the mission The Hive is pretty fucked up. Impregnated chicks strapped to giant penis-like stalks naked that burst when you approach and release octobabies and therefore must be shot on approach. Yeah, something tells me that the 14 years of development messed with 3D Realms' heads.

I don't think its too bad.
Its basically just the Alien franchise seen through a misogynist lens, and that's what Duke is all about.

Teknoman

Penis like stalks? After watching the video, they just look like modernized versions of those women stuck in that green alien junk from 3D, minus the frontal nudity of course.

jgminto

Teknoman said:
Penis like stalks? After watching the video, they just look like modernized versions of those women stuck in that green alien junk from 3D, minus the frontal nudity of course.
Some, not all of them.

GABDEG

Anyone who ordered his BoS-Edition on Amazon.co.uk and didn't get shit yet? The tracking code doesn't even work.

So can anyone help me out? I'm stuck at a section where you have to put a battery in a crane and then do....something. I have the battery in the crane and have tried running up the crane after moving it into position (theres an alien next to a giant hole in the side of the building), but I can't for the live of me figure out where to go now. I can't get into the hole (and even if I could it doesn't seem like it goes anywhere) and I've wasted like 20 mins looking around. Can anyone help? Think the level is somewhere in Duke Dome.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Enemy Of Fate said:
So can anyone help me out? I'm stuck at a section where you have to put a battery in a crane and then do....something. I have the battery in the crane and have tried running up the crane after moving it into position (theres an alien next to a giant hole in the side of the building), but I can't for the live of me figure out where to go now. I can't get into the hole (and even if I could it doesn't seem like it goes anywhere) and I've wasted like 20 mins looking around. Can anyone help? Think the level is somewhere in Duke Dome.
The wrecking ball hanging off the crane isn't decoration.

dejay

Banned
After playing a fair bit more my assessment has gone from not bad to pretty good. I didn't like the very first driving bit but the second driving bit was actually kinda fun.

Yerolo

Day 1 Aussie purchaser here....finished the game on normal difficulty in a little over 11hrs. Loved it to pieces, I was a bit miffed after the demo...but the full version is awesome. Very cool level design and tons of diversity in the gameplay.

As long as you're not constantly critiquing the graphics and just have FUN, you will love it. Its defiantely got that old-school FPS vibe in spades and looking forward to my next playthrough on a harder difficulty :)

Sectus

Just completed the game, my feelings are pretty mixed. I probably had fun 50% of the time, and rest of the time I wish I had a skip level button. The core mechanics are pretty good. Guns are satisfying and enemies are unique enough that DNF feels like a unique FPS. The problem is the level design: First of all, it's very linear (although I guess that's not really a fair complaint since ALL shooters are linear now) At its best, the level design has you going through colourful pretty environments which works well for the firefights, and has random interactive stuff.

But there's way too many levels which are really really dull (think sewers and industrial areas). There's also one area which just feels weird, which is "the hive" level. In the level, you
kill innocent helpless women... and that doesn't feel right. Especially in a game like Duke Nukem which is supposed to be all about humour and being silly.
. I should mention I'm kinda biased in the way that I'm REALLY sick tired of shooters. I would probably have enjoyed it much more if it weren't for that. Primary reason I got the game is because I'm a Duke Nukem fan. I don't regret buying it despite feeling tired of some of the levels. And the stuff you unlock after completing the game is great. All in all, despite the gripes I have with the game, it DOES feel like a Duke Nukem game.

By the way, I don't know if this has been posted earlier in the thread, but after completing the game I highly recommend reading through this: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/46980/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Complete-Plot-Revealed-Redux - That is the plot design document as of May 2009 when 3D Realms got shut down.
It's crazy to see that about 50% of the game was removed. It's a shame because all of the stuff with Bombshell sounded really fun. I wish they had scrapped the hive, 90% of the Dam levels and most of the truck driving levels in exchange for some of the Bombshell levels.

There are women who are entrapped in alien pods and beg to be killed (Aliens reference) in Duke 3D, so The Hive isn't out of place in a Duke game at all IMO.

Marco1

I bought the game on PC but how long will it take to complete the single player.
I have read 20 hours but I don't believe that for one second.

Sectus

Genesis Knight said:
There are women who are entrapped in alien pods and beg to be killed (Aliens reference) in Duke 3D, so The Hive isn't out of place in a Duke game at all IMO.
I think talking about the hive is a bit spoilery, so I'll just spoiler tag my reply.

I don't think it's really the same. The girls look much more realistic than in Duke3D, you can hear them crying and you are encouraged to kill them (otherwise they spawn enemies. In Duke3D I think it was actually reverse, if you kill them an enemy spawns).

Anyway, it's not really a big deal, I just personally think it shouldn't have been added. I'd rather have seen a level with Duke arm wrestling with Duke clones than the hive.

Marco1 said:
I bought the game on PC but how long will it take to complete the single player.
I have read 20 hours but I don't believe that for one second.
20 hours is definitely way too high. On the other hand, it's still definitely longer than your modern shooter. I spent around 9 hours on the campaign.

Jintor

I played for an hour and a bit or so. Loving stuff like being able to interact with all kinds of junk everywhere. The actual game... not so much.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Oh God, I wish I didn't read the spoiler tags. Feminists all over the world will scream in unison when they hear about that.

Still buying, though.

profit

Sectus said:
I think talking about the hive is a bit spoilery, so I'll just spoiler tag my reply.

I don't think it's really the same. The girls look much more realistic than in Duke3D, you can hear them crying and you are encouraged to kill them (otherwise they spawn enemies. In Duke3D I think it was actually reverse, if you kill them an enemy spawns.

Also Hive spoilers:
You do not actually have to kill them. I did not kill any of them and neither did one explode on me (except for the twins but that part is scripted)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
profit said:
Also Hive spoilers:
You do not actually have to kill them. I did not kill any of them and neither did one explode on me (except for the twins but that part is scripted)
So it's like Duke 3D, where I can just leave them alone. Okay, good, but one thing that bugged me about that in Duke 3D was, how do the babes get out of that mess? Has that ever been figured out?

Xellos

Sectus said:
By the way, I don't know if this has been posted earlier in the thread, but after completing the game I highly recommend reading through this: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/46980/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Complete-Plot-Revealed-Redux - That is the plot design document as of May 2009 when 3D Realms got shut down.
It's crazy to see that about 50% of the game was removed. It's a shame because all of the stuff with Bombshell sounded really fun. I wish they had scrapped the hive, 90% of the Dam levels and most of the truck driving levels in exchange for some of the Bombshell levels.

Gearbox has all but confirmed that there will be DLC, so maybe this will be in it.

Foxix Von

Got a chance to play the ps3 demo... loading issues aside that was a fucking metric ass ton of awesome.

Really good difficulty on normal as well which is such a fucking rare thing nowadays.

Sectus

profit said:
Also Hive spoilers:
Really? I had 2 or 3 of them spawn enemies (besides the twins), and after that I assumed it'd happen with all so I started killing them.

Xellos said:
Gearbox has all but confirmed that there will be DLC, so maybe this will be in it.
If that's the case, that'd be pretty awesome. Some of the stuff mentioned in the leaked documents sounds like it would be better than any part of the game.

Zomba13

So my game arrived today (not yesterday :() and I've been playing some and enjoying it and decided it was time to uninstall the DNF demo.
I click on the option in steam and check the time played, 69 minutes.

Xellos

Sectus said:
Really? I had 2 or 3 of them spawn enemies (besides the twins), and after that I assumed it'd happen with all so I started killing them.

If that's the case, that'd be pretty awesome. Some of the stuff mentioned in the leaked documents sounds like it would be better than any part of the game.

I think Pitchford hinted at it during a XBLA Q&A show, and Jon St. John has said he still has voice work to do for the game. Eurogamer has a rumor as to what the DLC will be: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-03-duke-nukem-forever-dlc-detailed.

123rl

I bought it today. It's really not very good. I usually ignore the PC Master Race vs Console bullshit but fuck me, the 360 version is ugly. I don't know what I expected or really wanted, just a fun game that could keep me entertained, but this is very disappointing so far. You don't pick up a handgun until about an hour into the game and the shooting just feels very unresponsive. When it comes to shooting I was hoping for L4D or Call Of Duty levels of responsiveness and control...I got Bioshock or The Darkness instead

Can anyone find some awesome videos on YouTube to help me want to play this game.

I'm not too bothered about spoilers but if you think the content in the video would detract from my enjoyment of playing the game, don't show me the video.

I haven't seen much of the game yet.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
123rl said:
I bought it today. It's really not very good. I usually ignore the PC Master Race vs Console bullshit but fuck me, the 360 version is ugly. I don't know what I expected or really wanted, just a fun game that could keep me entertained, but this is very disappointing so far. You don't pick up a handgun until about an hour into the game and the shooting just feels very unresponsive. When it comes to shooting I was hoping for L4D or Call Of Duty levels of responsiveness and control...I got Bioshock or The Darkness instead

Controls really are bad. Very bad to be more accurate.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
K, I'm stuck. I'm at the part outside Duke Dome where you're in an area with some large containers, and I can't work out what to do to progress. Plz halp, DukeGAF!

McNum

Combichristoffersen said:
K, I'm stuck. I'm at the part outside Duke Dome where you're in an area with some large containers, and I can't work out what to do to progress. Plz halp, DukeGAF!
Before or after you see the wrecking ball crane?

If it's before, you need to use the non-explosive barrels to weigh down the seesawing container so you can use it to climb higher. If it's after, you need to find a battery to restart the crane.

Stitch

Gold Member
^i liked that part.
it's interesting how lot's of the game is heavily influenced by half-life and halo.

Top Bottom